DIY Truss Desk – Free Plans!

I’m so pumped to show you guys our latest free woodworking plans!  I have just started redoing my entire bedroom.  It’s the only room I have yet to build furniture for!  My next project will be the king bed, which I CANNOT wait to share!  Today I am sharing the first half of my new DIY Desk… Check it out!

Free Woodworking Plans DIY Desk

Here is the desk finished with the additional pieces!

For the free plans for the side cabinets click HERE!

For the free plans for the bookcases that sit on top of the cabinets click HERE!

DIY Desk Free Woodworking Plans

Free Furniture Plans Rustic Truss Desk

And wait until y’all see the other half… Well, the other 2/3 I should say.   I was needing a desk space with a bit more storage, and I designed this Truss Desk collection.  You can build the desk alone, or you can add on some extra pieces that I will be showing you really soon.

Thanks so much to our good friend Jay of Jay’s Custom Creations for putting all of our original plans and ideas into printable plans for our readers.  Y’all should check out his site… He has lots of great tips, ideas and plans of his own!  I will walk you through the build below, and you can download and print the free plans by clicking HERE or the button below!

Free Woodworking Plans - DIY Desk

So… Let’s get started!  Before we do, let’s first talk about this supply list guys.

Six 2×4 and three 1×6 boards is all the wood you need to build this desk.  I LOVE that!

I did use my K5 Kreg Jig
for the entire build.  You don’t have to hang around here long to know about our love for this tool.  Ashley and I both currently use the K5 model.  You can find it on Amazon HERE!
For those of you wondering what the heck a Kreg Jig is, you can check out our quick video HERE where we break it down just a bit and explain it’s awesomeness.

The base of this desk has several 10-degree cuts.  I made these using my Ridgid Miter Saw.  They go into the Kreg Jig like this to make the pocket holes.  For the base, I used 1.5″ pocket holes and attached everything with 2.5″ pocket hole screws.

Pocket Holes on angled pieces

You can see below where I placed my pocket holes for the back of the desk.  The pocket holes for the back will face the back keeping you from having to cover them if it is up against a wall.

Pocket Holes for back of desk

Now for the sides.  You will build two sides that look like the photo below.  I randomly placed my pocket holes by how much they would show.   I knew I would be adding some other pieces of furniture around this desk, so I chose to place the pocket holes where they would be most covered.  You can place yours in the same way.

Side of Desk

Once both sides and the back are built, you are ready to attach it.  I used my Kreg Right Angle Clamp to help me on this part.  You can see it fits into a pocket hole and holds the pieces close together while I add the other pocket hole screws.  It’s like having an extra hand which is never a bad thing! 😉  You can see this clamp HERE on Amazon!

Kreg Right Angle Clamp

This is a shot of the inside of the desk once I had it all joined together…

Inside of DIY Desk

And another shot of the back…

Back of desk

Some of my pocket holes were on the inside of the desk as  I mentioned.

Pocket Holes for DIY Desk

At this point, the base is constructed and ready for the top.  Here is mine upside-down and ready to go!

Desk before adding top

I also used my Kreg Jig for the top, but I changed the settings.  Because the thickness of the top is much less than the legs, I used 3/4″ pocket holes on 4 of the 5 boards.  Each of the 4 boards have pocket holes running up one side.

Kreg Jig K5

Wood for desk top

I attached those pieces using 1.25″ pocket hole screws through the pocket holes and into the other board.

Plank wood using Kreg Jig

Once the top is all attached, you are ready to attach it to your base.  I just laid the base on top of the desk top.  I used 1.25″ pocket hole screws through the pocket holes on the apron boards and into the top to hold it all together and I was DONE.  So stinking easy!!

I used one of my new fav stain combos for the finish!  I started by staining the whole thing with Varathane wood stain in Weathered Grey.  You can find this at Home Depot!  It only requires one coat and dries in an hour… Yes please!

Weathered Gray Wood Stain

I wanted mine to look a bit more distressed, so I used Rust-Oleum decorative glaze on top of the stain once it dried.  You just brush this stuff on and then wipe the excess off.  Work on one side at a time as it does dry pretty quickly.  You can also find this at Home Depot.

Rustoleum Decorative Glaze

Here she is all set up!

Free Woodworking Plans Desk DIY

Free Furniture Plans Rustic Truss Desk

Free Woodworking Plans DIY Desk

Free Woodworking Plans Rustic Truss Desk

I’m so pumped to share the rest of it and the whole room with y’all soon!  Let me know if you have any questions at all!!  I would LOVE for you to share and PIN this with all your friends!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Happy Building!

1. Idnplay Poker on September 22, 2020 at 3:13 pm

1 star
    Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this
    technological globe all is existing on web?

2. Sarah on September 5, 2020 at 11:48 am

I just finished the desk! It was my very first build! Based on other comments, I shortened the height to 30”. I stained the top black and the body a creamy white. The first top I built had to be scrapped. I made another one with the help of a friend using dowel joinery. The only other problem I had was that 1 1/4” pocket hole screws weren’t long enough to secure the top on. I had to go buy 1 1/2” screws. I also added a hole for a desktop grommet to plug in his electronics. It came out great! Thank you!

3. Kevyn Jones on April 2, 2020 at 9:49 am

Do you have the plans for the storage cabinets

4. Robert Singer on October 2, 2019 at 12:19 pm

Thanks Whitney & Ashley, Great design. I needed to build a student desk for my grandson, came across this plan and was impressed by it’s simplicity though I was also intrigued by the Kreg jig. I built this while waiting out the path of Hurricane Dorian. Your videos and the videos/instructions provided with the Kreg tool were extremely helpful. I substituted a piece of pre-finished 1/2″ plywood for the tabletop, was a little more expensive but gave me the finished look I wanted. Also added a power/charging adapter plate available from a big-box retailer that provides two 110VAC power outlets and two USB charging outlets, along with a RJ45 ethernet jack. Then also added a couple nice trim pieces to the front edges of the legs as well as the desk front. Loved the weathered gray stain and glaze. BTW, the grandson loved it so much I will be building the nightstand/cabinet next.

5. Doug on March 13, 2019 at 10:30 am

Hi! Thanks for the plans and inspiration. I just finished building this desk. I modified the size to fit a specific space in our home. Finish is weathered gray stain and white chalk paint, then distressed it before adding a clear coat. I also modified it and added a drawer.

6. Devayani Kaur on October 3, 2018 at 6:04 am

I knew a few of them from before, but this list is very helpful.. It will take some time to browse through. Yep, will bookmark it.

7. Susan on July 11, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Love this desk. Wondering if it would be possible to adjust it to bar height (to fit barstools) so we could use it as a homework/craft table? I’d build two of these and put them back to back…thanks for the advice.

8. حجز فنادق جده on March 7, 2018 at 1:01 pm

South Africa is the most unequal country in the globe.

9. Jennifer B on March 1, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Can you give me the size of cuts I need to make after I buy the wood needed? I’m new to DIY and not following the instructions…!need a few more details. Thanks!!

10. Sell Used car Singapore on February 20, 2018 at 12:36 am

Ηi thеrе Dear, are үou genuinely visіting this site regularly, if so after that yⲟu will without Ԁoubt obtain good know-how.

11. حجز فنادق المدينة on February 19, 2018 at 11:37 pm

South Africa is the most unequal nation in the planet.

12. contributieachterstand nagetafeld serene on February 18, 2018 at 7:46 am

Diabedtes is liable fοr rawpid cell deterioration, organ failure, decrease оf eyesight ρlus a host of opposite sіde effects.
    Ϝrom һow it is diagnosed, aѕ to what medications аnd
    diets work oг tend not to work. Somе the signs ᧐f
    diabetes ѡhich you’ll consіder іnclude excessiv thirst, blurry
    vision, frequent urination, fatigue аnd sudden weight loss.

13. Diana on February 13, 2018 at 8:35 am

What are the final dimensions of the desk?

14. free pdf book on January 10, 2018 at 6:44 pm

It’s remarkable designed for me to have a site, which is valuable for my knowledge.
    thanks admin

15. helicopter experience on January 9, 2018 at 7:50 pm

What i do not realize is in reality how you’re no longer really a lot more well-preferred
    than you might be now. You are so intelligent.
    You already know thus considerably in relation to this topic, made me for my part believe it from so
    many varied angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be interested until it is
    one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your
    own stuffs outstanding. At all times care for it up!

16. Panthers Jerseys on January 9, 2018 at 2:14 am

I real happy to find this internet site on bing, just what
    I was looking for 😀 too saved to favorites.

17. Betty on January 6, 2018 at 12:15 am

We were just provided with one remote tho and its one of
    evictions that you can not open/close unless you have a remote.
    Generally, there should be at the very least 2 purposes for each component of the program Following month,
    we will talk about how to put together a full wellness program,
    including developing a marketing strategy as well as program assessments.

18. www on January 6, 2018 at 12:09 am

Hello Dear, are you genuinely visiting this website on a regular basis, if so after that you will definitely get good experience.

19. Hayley on January 4, 2018 at 11:50 pm

It is the only means to set a keyless access as well as to be able to get rid of the old code from the
    keyless. On the outside of garage a trick is should open up garage door
    and also I wish to open up door with 2nd remote from