DIY Modular Sectional – Corner Piece Plans

Hey guys!! I’m back today to share the corner piece plans to the Modular Sectional I built!

outdoor-modular-sectional

If you missed the plans for the other pieces you can see them HERE!

To print the plans for the corner piece, you can click the image below or HERE.

click-for-corner-piece-plansA big thanks to Jay from Jay’s Custom Creations for the printable version to these plans!

The construction of this piece is basically the same but the measurements are different from the other pieces.

attach-front-slatsI built the base the same why that I built the others.

back-posts-attachedThen, attach the first set of back posts

corner-piece-back-postsThen the second set.

attach-back-posts-together

After attaching the first set of back slats, nail the corner post to the other corner post and slats.

corner-piece-assembledThen, follow up with the slats on the other side.

outdoor-modular-sectionalEasy enough right! This is hands down, my favorite place to spend my time right now ๐Ÿ™‚

modular-seating-pinI love all of the different ways you can set up these pieces! And, you can add to it as your budget and time allows! I purchased the cushions at Target and designed the seats to fit the cushions. If you choose different cushions, make sure to modify the measurements on the plans if necessary. You can see the corner cushion that I bought for this piece HERE. ***Update – the link has not been working. You can type the item # in the search bar on target.com and see the cushion there -16343152 ย The back of the cushion didn’t fit but I had two cushions for my ottomans and used the back cushions for the corner piece. I needed up with one left over corner back cushion but the cost still beat similar cushions that I found.

*Total cost for this build – each base is $20-$25, the optional back rests are $10-$12 making this entire sectional with the ottoman/coffee table included – $225-$250!

Before I go, I need to share with you an AWESOME product that I’m totally impressed with right now!

Photo Nov 06, 7 33 07 AMIt’s a new product from Rust-Oleum called NeverWet. This one is specifically for outdoor fabric. We learned about it when we visited the Rust-Oleum headquarters a couple of months ago and I was dying to give it a try. ย We tested it by pouring a coke over the fabric and the coke just ran right off of the cushions. It was incredible! There’s nothing worse than watching a new set of cushions fade and ruin from the elements. This bottle is only $15 at Home Depot and worth every penny. You just spray it all over the cushions and let it dry for 24 hours and that’s it!

Check out this video for more information on it!

Seriously, how cool is that? I’m hooked ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks so much for stopping by!
~Ashley

1. Mark Burris on July 11, 2015 at 10:45 am

I built these last week and they turned out great. One thing that I didn’t like is that there was no slant on the back. I felt like they sat up too straight. So what I ended up doing was cutting a treated 2×4 about 2″ wide with a 10 degree slant and attached it to the back of the cube and then installed the back section. I also cut some 1″ sections and installed them further down for support. This made it way more comfortable for me! Just thought that I would share my experience. Thanks for all the plans and the ideas.

• Michael Bowen on March 27, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Any way you could take a pic and show your tweak on the slant? I want to make mine slanted too. Thanks!!!

• Christina on March 29, 2016 at 2:33 am

Yes, a picture please! Thanks

• Y F on August 6, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Picture!!! I like this diy but have been trying to envision the slant!!

2. April Damon Dix on May 4, 2015 at 7:45 am

I so wanted to make this, I love it! Just priced the cushions on Target using the item number given- $99 for the corner piece alone. Then each bottom/top combo is $65 – that is over $400 in just cushions. Sadly searching online for other cushions…

• Shanty2Chic on May 4, 2015 at 7:51 am

Deep cushions are expensive. I searched for a long time for deep cushions and this was the cheapest I found for the quality. Please share with everyone if you find something!

• tina on June 1, 2015 at 7:37 am

just make 7 standard ones and use 3 for a sofa and 2 on each side as a chaise and you don’t need to buy the corner cushion. You can buy 2 chaise cushions and 3 chair to match and this turns out cheaper.

3. JustAFan on April 20, 2015 at 1:00 pm

I am OBSESSED with this sectional and am planning to build it this summer! However, I have hit a bit of a snag–I don’t have the Kreg K5, I have the R3 Jr. It is possible to use the R3 Jr. instead? If not, do you have an alternative suggestion? Thanks so much for the awesome blog!

4. April Rutherford on April 16, 2015 at 12:34 pm

This is so great! I can’t wait to try Never wet, I’ve been looking for a solution and had no idea that existed. Thanks for the plans!

5. Jamie Cormier on April 11, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Shanty2Chic what was the dimensions of the back cushions on the corner piece you used. I purchased a corner set from Target and the bottom cushion fits 24X24 but the back cushions is way to long. I see you still have not updated the new measurements for the comer piece, so when you do what did you use for back cushions. were they the backs from the two ottomans. Please get back to me thank you. PS the dimensions for the corner piece I bought are Cushion Seat Dimensions: 7″ T x 24.0 ” D x 24.0 ” W Cushion Back Dimensions: 5.5 ” T x 15.5 ” D x 54.0 ” W and they do not fit to this plan.

• Jason Veith on June 1, 2016 at 9:33 am

I have the same issue. We are just going to have someone take off about 3 inches off of each side of the corner back cushion. Strange that the back would be 54″ and the seat would be 48″ (24+24)

6. Nicci LaLoba on April 3, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Sorry no disrespect…. love the cushions you have on the unit….. just for VOC’s and health reason I commented. Being ID, we can be crazy blunt sometimes lol But it is always with good hearted intentions.

7. Shawn on April 3, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Is there anyway to possibly get the corrected measurements for the corner piece. The frame is the same size as the regular one. Thanks.

• Shanty2Chic on April 3, 2015 at 2:17 pm

I’m looking at both plans and seeing different measurements? The corner piece should be square and the same measurement as the depth of the side pieces.

• Nancy Jones on April 10, 2015 at 9:47 am

so it should be 22 3/4 x 22 3/4?

• Shanty2Chic on April 3, 2015 at 2:28 pm

So sorry, I see the measurements on the frame are off! Should be 22.75″ 22.75″

• Shawn on April 4, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Thanks. I redrew the frame to get the measurements before i cut anymore pieces. On your chart the 2 orange 15-1/2″ 2×3’s should actually be 17-3/4″ for a total of 3 of those pieces. It didn’t increase the amount of material.

• Shawn on April 4, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Here is my drawing

• Shanty2Chic on April 4, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Awesome! Thank you, Shawn! I’m glad it didn’t increase material ๐Ÿ™‚ so sorry for the inconvenience, will get this fixed ASAP ๐Ÿ™‚

• Nancy Jones on April 10, 2015 at 9:46 am

can you share your drawing?

• Jamie Cormier on April 9, 2015 at 1:00 am

Shawn with the new measurements of the corner piece will it fit the back corner cushions with these dimensions. Cushion Back Dimensions: 5.5 ” T x 15.5 ” D x 54.0 ” W and bottom cushion Seat Dimensions: 7″ T x 24.0 ” D x 24.0 ” W. ps could I get your drawing.

• Nancy Jones on April 10, 2015 at 9:46 am

can you update the plan for the corner piece not sure the lengths

• Shanty2Chic on April 10, 2015 at 9:48 am

Yes Nancy,
          I’m sorry. I have the plans update but haven’t loaded them. I will this evening!

• Nancy Jones on April 11, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Thanks, please let me know when. Thanks.

8. Nicci LaLoba on March 31, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Just buy Sunbrella material in at least a Grade B. Not pouring chemicals on cushions your skin touches!!! nasty…. Cabana Coast is a dealer you can order from for custom cushions. They will last you for like 7 + yrs if you take care of them. They are worth ever penny.

• Shanty2Chic on March 31, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Thanks for the tip! Unnecessary to let me know how “nasty” you think my cushions are that my family sits on. There are nicer ways to say things. Have a great day!

9. Sydney Perry on March 30, 2015 at 8:49 am

Measurements are not correct. New measurements to follow.

10. Jamie Cormier on March 26, 2015 at 11:59 pm

What are the measurements four the corner box

11. T.J. Dreyer on March 23, 2015 at 10:23 am

Are the plans supposed to be 2x3x8’s or 2x4x8’s?

12. farmkiti on March 17, 2015 at 11:30 am

I wonder if you can buy it by the gallon….

13. farmkiti on March 17, 2015 at 11:29 am

You know how those squeeze-handles make your hands sore? Just buy a large quantity (if you have lots of cushions, you’ll need it anyway) and put it into one of those large sprayers with the pump mechanism. They use ’em for bug spray, deck sealer, etc. I think they sell them with 1 – 5 gallon capacities. MUCH easier and faster! Plus you can spray in a sweeping motion. Works great!

14. Nancy Jones on March 10, 2015 at 8:38 am

Love it and can’t wait to try. What are the cushions made out of?

• farmkiti on March 17, 2015 at 11:37 am

Cushions probably made out of a cotton/systhetic blend. Synthetics (polyester, acrylic, etc) are good because they naturally resist water and mold buildup. That, plus the NeverWet, and you’re ready to go!

15. Bonnie Iaeger on March 1, 2015 at 10:13 pm

looks amazing and plan on making some of these for indoor use! how long did this whole project take?!

16. Lauren Murray on February 5, 2015 at 5:23 am

They look great! I would be using them free standing on my patio. Do you think the back rests are sturdy enough or should i just go with the bases as bench seating?

• Shanty2Chic on February 5, 2015 at 7:12 am

They are definitely sturdy enough!! ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Raintree on November 6, 2014 at 9:50 am

This is awesome! I’m not sure if I missed it but how much did the whole project cost without the pillows? Thanks!!

• Shanty2Chic on November 6, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Thank you! I just added it to this post. The total cost for the sectional and coffee table/ottomans was $225-$250. Each base is $20-$25 and the backrest a are $10-$12 ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mark on June 9, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Where did you buy your wood at? The cheapest cedar boards I can find are ~$8/board which brings my wood cost to ~$75.

• Shanty2Chic on June 9, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Home Depot. Lumber prices vary by location. We are in Texas.

• Mark on June 9, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. You used Cedar boards, correct?

• Shanty2Chic on June 9, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Yes! They were about $4-$5 each I think.