DIY Desk for $70

DIY-Trestle-Desk

The design is inspired after my Dining Table that you can see HERE.  I love it so much that I decided to build a desk very similar. I hit up our friend, Jamison a.k.a. Rogue Engineer to design the plans and he did an AMAZING JOB! We created this 5 ft. long desk for only $70 in lumber – BAM 🙂

You can click HERE to download and print the FREE Plans and follow along below to see how I built this bad boy 🙂

lumber-purchase

Here is the before 😉

(Image Here: Attach Top Planks)

I started by creating the planked top.

drill-pocket-holes

Then, I drilled pocket holes into the 2×4’s for the frame.

(Image Here: Attach Side Pieces)

And attached the end pieces to the side pieces.

build-frame

Frame – DONE 🙂

attach-top-planks-to-frame

To attach the frame to the planked top, I used 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws. The planks will be flush with the top of the 2×4 frame.

(Image Here: Add Supports)

Finally, I added the supports under the top.

top-complete

Desk top – DONE 🙂

Now for the legs!

cut-edge-of-4x4

The legs are just straight cuts but the feet will have a 45 degree angle cut off the end. To do this, set your miter saw at 45 degrees, make a mark where the angle will start on the board (according to the plans)

(Image Here: Angle Cuts on Feet)

and make your cut!

pocket-holes-in-feet

I used my Kreg HD to drill pocket holes into the feet. This is a jig for boards that are thicker than 2″. You click the box below to find one on Amazon.

attach-feet-to-legs

Then, I attached the feet to the legs with wood glue and Kreg HD pocket hole screws.

attach-foot-pads

Next, I attached the foot pads.

leg-completed

Nice legs 🙂 (yes, I put the pocket holes on the wrong side… I was bummed but I filled them with wood filler and there are angle pieces that cover them so you don’t see them at all).

legs

Two legs and a top ready to go!

attach-trusses

I used my Ryobi 18-volt nailer and wood glue to attach the angle pieces on the bottom of the legs. You can use screws here but the nailer is easier.

attach-blocks

I flipped the top over and attached the stop blocks with my nailer and wood glueattach-trusses-to-top

then attached the angle piece to the top.

fill-screw-holes

Make sure to fill your holes with wood filler.

desk-ready-for-stain

She’s done and ready for the finish!

mix-stain

I chose Early American by Varathane. I built the desk for my master bedroom and wanted it to match the bed that I built. You can see the bed HERE.

desk-stained

I waited an hour for it to dry and then used my Ryobi Corner Cat Sander, with an 80-grit sanding pad to distress the entire piece.

apply-poly

Finally, I applied one coat of Triple Thick by Varathane to the top of the table. This stuff is the BOMB! Just be very generous with it and it will level itself out. The top of my table is so smooth! It will look a bit like glue until it dries.

And that was IT! I LOVE it 🙂

desk-how-to

how-to-build-a-desk

The legs are my fave 🙂

Trestle-Desk-DIY

70-desk

DIY-Trestle-Desk

A HUGE thanks to Rogue Engineer for the FREE Plans! Go get them HERE and tell him the Shanty Sisters said hi!

Like something you see in my pics? Here are the sources!

Wagon Wheel Photo Collage: Save On Crafts

Chalkboard frame: Hobby Lobby

Boxwood Wreath: Target

Metal Bucket: HomeGoods

Succulent: HomeGoods

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. Justin Baker on July 13, 2018 at 8:47 am

Used a combination of yours and rogue engineers post to build an L shaped version of the Trestle desk. 2 by 8 top, Walnut stained entirely with dry brushed vintage white over the bottom portion. Came out better than I expected.

2. Eric Del on February 8, 2018 at 2:07 pm

Did you all rip the 2X4s down for straight edges or did you keep them standard?
    Thanks!

• Robert Silvernagel on August 17, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Looks awesome! what stain did you use?

3. Lacy on March 29, 2016 at 11:43 am

Any recommendations for bookshelves or side tables to match this chunky design?

4. Alex on June 14, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Love it and the finish! The wall decor is awesome! I want to do the same thing! I found the wreath at my local Target but can’t find the the chalkboard. Did it come like that from Hobby Lobby or did you tweak it at all. Is that arrow made out of 1 x 3’s?

5. Craig on June 11, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Built this for my daughter and she loves it. So stinking easy to build. Thanks ladies!

6. chris on May 11, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Bed link does not work… I’d love to see it.

7. Jennie on April 23, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I’m curious about the 45 degree angle cuts on the feet. Your picture isn’t showing up for me, and I’m not quiet sure how to make the cut. I’m a beginner, but this desk looks very doable. Thanks ladies!!

8. av12design on March 26, 2015 at 8:54 am

It’s so cool

9. julie on March 12, 2015 at 8:05 pm

what is an alternative if a person doesn’t have the kreg HD ?
    Love the desk!!!

• Shenanigans I say! on April 1, 2015 at 8:13 am

Your options depend on your skill level and available tools. The reason most use a Kreg Jig or similar tool is because it’s quite simple to use for anyone and doesn’t require much in the way of wood-working prowess.

There are countless joinery options. Dovetails, Condor Tails, Dowels, Half-lap, Mitre joint, Rebate, Dado, Mortise & Tenon, Box Joint, Router Joints, and so so much more. However, like I stated above, it all depends on your ability and available tools.

I would recommend purchasing a Kreg if you’re a beginner-novice and plan on taking on more than a single project, it will pay for itself.

10. Seng @sengerson.com on March 9, 2015 at 8:50 pm

That looks amazing!!

11. Jeannie Garcia-Buechele on March 8, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I absolutely love this desk and can’t wait to try and build it..I have been looking for my first project and I really think I can do this one. Thanks Ladies 🙂

12. Linda Keesee on March 6, 2015 at 3:19 am

Love your desk! Turned out really nice, looks very sturdy. Like the dark stain. Love how your using the bicycle wheel to display your pictures, very clever!

13. Pam Jackson on March 4, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Looks great. Nice job.

14. lhamer on March 4, 2015 at 9:52 am

Have I told you how and amazing I think you are? I love that desk and seriously think you should consider making some of the things you do to sell.