DIY Factory Cart Coffee Table

I’m so excited to share this coffee table with you guys today! I love, love, love factory cart coffee tables but they aren’t exactly budget friendly.

Open Concept Family Room

DIY-Factory-Cart-Coffee-Table

I had a specific design in mind for a special place so I hit-up our friend Jamison, a.k.a Rogue Engineer, to whip some printable plans up so we could share this easy and affordable build with you guys!

You can find the plans HERE  and we’ve got the step-by-step tutorial for you to follow along with as well!

attach-planks-for-top

After I cut the boards for the planked top, I drilled 1 1/2″ pocket holes and attached them with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws.

attach-sides

Then, I attached the short side pieces with pocket holes screws and wood glue. (I lost several of my tutorial pictures so this is not the exact table top but it is assembled the same way). Short sides first, then I attached the long pieces.

attach-bottom-braces

I flipped it over and attached the first 2×4 braces to each end with 2 1/2″ wood screws. I like to use the Spax multi-material star head screws. They are a bit pricey but oh.so.worth.it. They are self tapping, so you don’t have to predrill and the star head doesn’t strip as easily!

view-from-under-table

Next, I added the second set of 2×4 braces. You attach these with pocket hole screws.

That was IT for building 🙂 Now for the finish!

stain-table

I applied one coat of Varathane Dark Walnut stain. Just wipe it on with a clean cloth, wait about 5 minutes, then wipe it with a new clean cloth. Don’t wipe the stain off, just blend it with the cloth so that the stain is even.

Varathane Triple Thick

After the stain dried (about 1 hour later), I applied one coat of Varathane Triple Thick Polyurethane. Just apply it with a bristle brush. You can put it on thick, it is self leveling and will all spread out evenly. I use a bristle brush – it will look like glue until it dries.

Now for the fun part 🙂

caster

I purchased these 8″ casters from Northern Tool. You can see them HERE! These were the closest thing to budget-friendly, factory cart wheels that I could find and I think they are just perfect!

hardware

I also picked up these little hex screws and 6″ Simpson Strong Ties from Home Depot – super inexpensive! You can see the Strong Ties HERE. I spray painted the casters, screws and Strong Ties with Rust-oleum, satin black, spray paint and that was it!

how-to-build-a-factory-cart-coffee-table

I attached the Strong Ties with the little hex screws.

DIY-Coffee-Table-Cart

Factory-Cart-Coffee-Table-DIY

DIY-Factory-Cart-Coffee-Table

Lumber, hardware and casters totaled about $100! Can’t beat that!!! I can’t wait to show you where this cutie is going – but that will have to wait for now 😉 Thanks again to Rogue Engineer for the FREE Printable Plans! Check him out! He has a ton of awesome DIY’s he’s been up to 🙂

Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂

~Ashley

Check out this video to build this DIY Rolling Storage Coffee Table!

1. Tom on November 10, 2019 at 9:15 pm

I purchased the old feed carts @ auction for $50-$100 each my planned oak was another $100. I still need to sandblast the wheels & corners & paint them I’ll have around 250 to $300 in each one but I’m making them for my kids homes so I wanted them old school so I don’t mind

2. Kara on September 9, 2019 at 3:09 pm

What size screws did you use to attach the casters ? About to make mine and was curious what you used for these ?

3. Liveactionwaifu on September 1, 2019 at 11:45 am

Hey i loved this project .I’m 21 female I was wondering if its possible for me to sell on kajiji cause im trying to find ways to support my family

4. FergusonTamrot on May 22, 2019 at 1:34 am

My husband used these plans from WoodPrix’s plans and he’s very satisfied. However. I love Yours !

5. Moriah on May 14, 2019 at 9:51 am

We built the table last wknd! It’s perfect! The wheels are awesome – thanks for the link. More builds using your plans in the near future. Thank you ?

6. Terry Mckat on March 14, 2019 at 11:55 am

We have a factory cart that I restored and have been using it for a coffee table. We are moving to a smaller house and would like to make it into a desk/table. Do you think that it would work. I do not have a picture now but will be able to take one next week. Guess I would have to remove wheels. I hate to sell it as it is neat. Thanks, Terry Mckay

7. AT on September 24, 2018 at 11:58 am

That table in the background, can you tell me if you ladies made this too? Or if it was purchased, where it came from? Thank you!!

8. Bill on July 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Am in need of a whl for the end of my table. Where can I get one? If I have to I will purchase 2.f

9. The Farmerette on February 27, 2017 at 7:41 am

LOVE!

10. Sandra Ludolph on October 20, 2016 at 8:10 am

How could you make this a taller table and not so low to the ground?

11. Tammy on May 16, 2016 at 5:07 pm

I love your work! Absolutely love the cart table but I am actually wondering about the console table in the first picture with the cart in your living room. The table with the round baskets underneath. Do you have plans for that table? I have been searching on your site and can’t seem to find it, hoping I missed it because I really want to make that one! Thanks!

12. Nick on March 24, 2016 at 12:16 am

Do you find that you have to sometimes apply a second coat of the Triple Thick? I just finished my table and it seems that the wood just soaked up the poly. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. Thanks.

13. Mackenzie Elizabeth Crabbe on December 29, 2015 at 4:07 pm

My husband built me a coffee table using these plans, but added some customization to it. This is how it turned out and I LOVE it! Thanks for the idea and the instructions!. 🙂