Hey friends! I’m so excited with how my latest build turned out! My in-laws recently moved here from Lubbock to be closer to us, and I thought they needed a good housewarming gift. So, furniture it is! 😉 Check out the new DIY Media Console I made them!
Isn’t she so cute! Perfectly functional too… Win win.
I worked with a good friend of ours to create the printable plans for my console for you guys. Jamison from Rogue Engineer made a great set of free printable plans over on his site for y’all. If you don’t follow him already, you should. He’s awesome!
I will walk you through this whole build here, and you can print the plans for this console HERE.
Here we go!
I started by building the side frames. I used my miter saw for all my cuts and used my Kreg Jig to create all the pocket holes for this project. I used the K5 model for this one. This is our very fav model of the Kreg Jig. I actually have two of them and I will show you why in a bit. Here are the side panels assembled.
You can see I used 3/4″ pocket holes and 1.25″ pocket hole screws to join everything on this part. After building the frames, I added the planks to them. I used wood glue on the cross pieces, and used my Ryobi AirStrike Finish nailer with 1.25″ finish nails through the back of the planks and into the frame.
This is what the side frames looked like after adding the planks.
Next, I moved on to the shelves. The plan calls for hardwood plywood. I used PureBond from Home Depot, which is one of our very favorite products. It comes in 4’x8′ sheets and we have the guys at Depot rip it down for us to make it easier to get into the car. It stains beautifully and it’s super easy to work with. These are long panels, so I recently got a new Kreg Jig K5 model and mounted it to a board. I use this K5 to make pocket holes on longer boards that won’t fit on top of my workbench.
I used my Ryobi drill with the Kreg driver to attach the frames to the front of the plywood shelves.
I then attached those to the side panels. A Kreg right angle clamp is super helpful on this part! It’s like having a 3rd, much stronger hand 🙂
I planked the top of the console before attaching it to the base. You plank 3 boards together for this part. Pocket holes are the easiest and most accurate way to plank boards in my opinion.
I used pocket hole screws to attach the base to the top of the console table next.
And to attach the middle divider…
And the shelf next…
I used my nailer to attach that shelf to the divider. I also used a line of wood glue on this joint.
Here is the face frame attached before adding the shelves.
I added the shelves next using 1.25″ pocket hole screws again.
I used my Ryobi AirStrike stapler to attach the 1/4″ Purebond plywood to the back of the console. I had the guys at Depot cut this down for me as well.
My final step was the doors! These are simple and are also made my planking using pocket holes.
Now let’s talk paint and hardware… The important things right??
I used one of my VERY favorite greys for this console. It’s called Urbane Bronze by Sherwin-Williams SW 7048. It’s a deep, rich grey that I LOVE LOVE.
I did use my Vaseline distressing method on this piece. I used Varathane stain in Kona as my base coat. This is a SIMPLE method of distressing. You can see the whole tutorial HERE.
And that hardware…
I looked long for affordable, big hinges. I felt that they would add so much to this piece. I do know that some hardware stores sell similar hardware, but I found the best prices on eBay. HERE is a link to the seller’s item I bought this from.
And one more look at the piece… I hope they love it as much as I do! And I hope they feel the need to babysit lots for this. 😉