DIY Floating Corner Shelves

Come build these simple and inexpensive DIY Floating Corner shelves with easy to follow instructions by Shanty2Chic!  Floating shelves are a perfect storage space solution.  I have built them before for the bathroom and living room.  When my daughter wanted open shelving in her room, I knew these would be a perfect solution.  Floating shelves are one of my favorite woodworking projects!

So excited about how these DIY Floating Corner Shelves turned out!  I seriously now want a set of corner shelves in every room.  I am in the middle of revamping my daughter’s room, and just finished up one big corner.  Let’s build these!

This is a variation of our original DIY floating shelves, and so simple to build!  The best part?  Each shelf cost under $40 in lumber.   I will share the full tutorial with step by step instructions  below!

I used my miter saw to cut the frames for my shelves first.  This part uses 2×4 lumber.

Once those were cut, I used my K5 Kreg Jig pocket hole jig
to create 1.5″ pocket holes into each of my small pieces.

Building the Corner Shelves

create pocket holes on braces

Cut wood for cleats and add pocket holes

Each short piece will have two pocket holes like below…

pocket holes in braces

Next, I used my Ryobi 18V drill to connect the small pieces to the longer wall cleats with 2.5″ pocket hole screws.  I added a line of Titebond wood glue under each small piece before connecting…

Build Cleats for Floating Shelves

add wood glue
Building the floating shelf braces

Each cleat will have 3 small boards connected like this.

Building the shelf braces

Once I had all my braces built, I attached them to the wall.  Every wall is different, but this is the method I have used on every floating shelf in my house.

These are the Spax screws I used to attach the braces to the wall.  These are self-tapping and 3″ long.  3.5″ is a great length too.

Wood screws to attach to wall

Spax Screws

I marked lines on the wall where I wanted my shelves to sit.  I used a stud finder to mark my studs on the wall.  These are the 2×4 that are under the sheetrock.  Anytime you are mounting to the wall, it is best to try to screw into these studs for support.  I used my Ryobi Impact driver to go through the braces and into the studs in the wall.  Make sure to check for level so your shelf doesn’t sit wonky.  This is the level I use… Cheap and works like a charm!

how to attach a floating shelf to a wall

I attached the first two braces and it looked a bit like this… I attached the top shelf first, and then attached the bottom shelves.

Frames on wall

how to attach a shelf to a wall

I measured 13″ up from this brace to attach my next brace pieces using the same method.

How to build corner floating shelves

Next, I basically wrapped the brace pieces.  I started with the 1/4″ plywood for the bottoms of each shelf.  I used my Ryobi AirStrike nailer to attach these bottom pieces into the braces using wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails.  A stapler will also work on this part.  I used my table saw to rip down the 1/4″ wood for this part, but you can also have Home Depot rip it down for you.

Cover cleats with plywood

Attach bottom boards
Ryobi AirStrike Nail Gun

Now I attached my top 3/4″ boards.  These are 1×10 common boards I found at Home Depot.  I cut them to size using my miter saw, and attached them using wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails.

Attach top pieces
add wood glue to top of shelf
attach top and bottom of shelves

I added my side pieces next using the same method… This is 1×4 common pine boards from Home Depot.

Add trim to corner floating shelves

wood glue
side shot of floating shelves

At this point I added my front pieces.  I used wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails for this part as well.

Attach front boards
add glue to front board
Nail board to shelf brace

Finish your DIY Shelves

My favorite part is always adding a finish to my woodworking projects!  I stained these shelves using Varathane Kona stain.  You can find it on Amazon HERE! I also found some Simpson Strong-Tie metal corners that I spray painted gold and attached using gold furniture tacks to each corner to dress each shelf up.  I LOVE the outcome! Adding all the accessories and home decor is always fun too! 😊

DIY Corner Floating Shelves by Shanty2Chic
DIY Floating Corner Shelves by Shanty2Chic
DIY Floating Corner Shelves Free Plans
DIY Corner Shelves by Shanty2Chic
DIY Corner Shelves Free Plans by Shanty2Chic
DIY Free Plans for Floating Corner Shelves by Shanty2Chic
DIY Free Plans for Floating Corner Shelves by Shanty2Chic

How cute is this wall too?  I kind of love it!

DIY Feature Wall by Shanty2Chic

Hope that covers it!

Thanks so much for stopping by!!  Let me know if you have any questions at all!

DIY Corner Floating Shelves

Come build these super easy and inexpensive DIY Corner Floating Shelves with free easy to follow plans by Shanty2Chic!
Keyword: diy, floating shelves,, free plans

Supply List

• 2 2x4x8 pine or whitewood
  • 1 1/4” X 24” X 48” plywood
  • 1 1” x 10” x 8’
  • 1 1” x 6” x 8’
  • 1-1/2” pocket screws
  • 1-1/4” brad nails
  • 3” Spax screws
  • Wood Glue

Instructions

• Cut List
  • Begin by constructing the wall cleats. Drill for 2-1/2” pocket screws in the cleat braces and attach to the wall cleats as shown. First hold up the longer wall cleat and mark where your studs are. Repeat with your shorter wall cleat, making sure you start 1-1/2” out from the wall to compensate where the first cleat will be. Drill two pilot holes for the torx screws. Using a level hold the longer cleat up to the wall and drive 3” torx screws at the marked locations (above illustrations are rough estimates, your locations may very). Repeat with shorter cleat, making sure both are level.
  • Using 1-1/4” brad nails and wood glue attach the bottom plywood panels, starting with the longer panel first and making sure you are flush on the outside edges.
  • Next attach the top of the shelf with 1-1/4” brad nails and wood glue. Again, make sure outside edges are flush.
  • Finally, add the trim. It is best to cut the remaining pieces to fit.
    PLEASE SEE NOTE ON THE CUT LIST PAGE ABOUT USING 2X3 MATERIAL FOR THE CLEATS. THIS WILL ALLOW YOU USE 1X4 WOOD FOR THE TRIM WITHOUT HAVING TO DO ANY RIPPING.
    First you will measure the height of your shelves, from the bottom of the plywood to the top of the 1×10 material. It should be about 4-1⁄2”. Rip your 1×6 material down to this measurement. Then begin with the sides and attach with 1/4” brad nails and wood glue. Next attach the long front trim. Finally the short front trim. Now, tape off the wall and apply the finish of your choice.
  • Click HERE to get a printable version of these plans!

1. G on January 31, 2021 at 8:08 pm

Omg I love everything!!! Can you share where you got the desk from?

2. JB on November 12, 2020 at 8:00 am

FYI – The supplies list states “1 1/2 in pocket screws,” and I’m sure it was supposed to be 2 1/2in screws.

3. Jennifer Jackson on August 21, 2020 at 1:02 pm

Can you tell me where you got the desk?

4. Destiny on March 19, 2020 at 4:02 pm

I love this bedroom! I am fixing to move and have to buy all new furniture and decorations. I feel like I’ve been looking at ideas forever. This is perfect!

5. SlackerMom on March 16, 2019 at 7:13 pm

Don’t know why they never answered :/ but here’s the post about the desk….https://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2016/02/diy-corner-desk.html

• Dena on April 23, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Thank you so much!

6. Amanda on December 30, 2018 at 1:57 pm

So many people asking about the desk but no answers. Is there a brand on it if you don’t know specifically where it’s from or can you confirm it is handmade?

7. Louise Wolfe on December 15, 2018 at 9:00 am

Please tell me where that adorable desk came from!,

L. Wolfe

8. Chlo on November 27, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Shanty2Chic, Where did you find/make that desk desk??????

9. Melissa on September 9, 2018 at 3:56 pm

We all love the shelves and many have inquired about the desk. Please tell us where you got the desk or if you have plans for it

10. Kaleigh on July 5, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Where did you get the desk it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for!!

11. Rachel V. on May 27, 2018 at 7:31 am

What size room is this? I want this same set up in the spare bedroom, but I’m worried it’s too small!

12. Julianna N on March 7, 2018 at 1:50 pm

My daughter loves this paint color. Can you tell me the name and brand please?

13. Chloe on February 11, 2018 at 12:10 am

Can I please get the details on the desk? 😉

14. Katie on January 17, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Love the desk! Where is it from?

15. Elizabeth on November 4, 2017 at 1:29 pm

I love the shelves, but may I ask where you got the desk from?

16. Sarah Karren on November 1, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Do you have plans for the headboard and where to source the wood? Thanks!

17. The_Whitesides on September 18, 2017 at 7:02 am

How much weight can these shelves bear? I am thinking of doing this for a led tv and this appears to be a perfect fit for my needs. Thank you!

18. Antony Nzalalila on September 17, 2017 at 5:44 am

I like the design

19. Manda Yager on September 10, 2017 at 11:39 pm

Thank you for these amazing plans! I am so excited to build this (I’m midway) I was reviewing the shopping list and instructions and noticed the list says 1.5″ pocket screws but the instructions say 2.5″ pocket screws…..2.5″ is what kreg recommends so I went with that and it works just a FYI for anyone at home depot buying the goods for this beautiful shelf!

• Shanty2Chic on September 11, 2017 at 5:27 am

Sorry about that! 2.5″ is correct. 1.5 is a typo!

20. Myeasha Neal on September 4, 2017 at 8:11 am

Where did you get the desk???

21. Crystal Black Allred on January 24, 2017 at 9:54 am

Love everything in this post! Could you let me know what brand and color of spray paint you used. I love the gold.
    Thanks

22. Jaciechan on August 10, 2016 at 8:50 am

I absolutely love this! Where did you find the desk? I have been struggling to find a good desk and I love this one!

23. Ana Carrera Kalargyros on July 31, 2016 at 9:19 am

How tall and deep are the shelves?

24. Susan Spencer Worsham on July 6, 2016 at 8:41 am

What is the name of the wall color. Love it!

25. Liz Jo on May 13, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Where did you get the desk??

26. diversity210 on May 13, 2016 at 1:06 am

Very nice looking shelves. It seems it could be done easier though. With your method if you ever want to remove the shelves you will have to tear them out. You can build a box with an open back to simply slide onto the frame on the wall. Then secure it to the frame with a couple counter sank screws. This way if you ever want to remove the shelves. You will only have to remove a couple screws. With out the mess and the hassle of tearing the thing out.

Also. Many people taking on this little project mat not have a pocket hole jig and in this case pocket hole screws serve no real purpose. You could simply mount the small support pieces to the main beam via #8 or #10 screws from the back side of the beam. The screws would not be seen as they would be butted up against the wall.

Anyway I really do love the way the shelves look and thanks for sharing.

27. Amy on May 12, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Where did you get those cute gold containers and the fearless sign on the lower shelf, and the deer head on the upper shelf? Thanks!

28. Rachel on April 3, 2016 at 6:11 pm

The desk! Where did you get it?????

29. Carianne Royce on March 6, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I’m in love with these shelves! My only concern though–how easy are they to take down? I live in an apartment and would like to take them with me when I move out, without damaging them.

30. sarah cloes on February 17, 2016 at 2:57 pm

wondering where you got the desk from 🙂

31. Ashley Carreiro on February 13, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Hi! Could you tell me if you bought or made that desk?? Thanks!!

32. Christa on February 13, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I would love plans for the corner desk as well!

33. Roula Katsantonis on February 9, 2016 at 11:22 am

Where did you get the desk?

• bethany on August 31, 2017 at 10:35 am

Did Shanty2Chic ever get back to you about where to get the desk? It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for

34. Amber Smolek on January 29, 2016 at 4:25 pm

I made one of your deals and have been looking for a chair like this to finish my office space. Help please and thanks with some ideas of where I can find one?! 🙂

35. Christopher Fugle on January 24, 2016 at 8:59 am

Brilliant work. The corners of any room are usually unused or jammed up with a lamp or table, but you have used the high elevation to your advantage…rethinking display shelves now myself. Thanks!

36. Clarissa L. Groves on January 23, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Would you share (if you haven’t already) where you got that chair??

37. Corinne King on December 19, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Would it be possible to add hinges to the facial board to create a little bit of storage? I love the shelves and am going to try and talk my hubby into helping me make them. Thank you for the plans!

38. Meghan Hawkes on December 5, 2015 at 10:21 am

Hey girls! Want to make sure I’m not missing something… Is this 1×4 on the shopping list supposed to be a 1×6?

• Victoria Drew on January 3, 2016 at 11:18 am

Agreed! I did the plans and that typo messed me up. I think my shelves are too fat, and I got the 1×6. I had to add a 1/4 inch plywood and another inch of wood to fill the bottom.

• Shanty2Chic on January 3, 2016 at 1:27 pm

1×6! Thanks for finding that… I am just now seeing this message!

39. Lee on November 28, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Any plans on the desk? Love it!

40. Sabrina on November 25, 2015 at 11:24 am

I love this idea! My daughter wants to use these colors in her room now that we can paint. LOVE the desk!! Where are the plans for it??

41. Tara Hayes Carrasco on November 22, 2015 at 7:56 pm

I’m building this right now. Should J possibly need to be 31 1/2″ long instead of 32″ or am I doing something wrong? I don’t want to cut what I think and then it be too short when I go to hang, but it’s not lining up right as I’m laying it out. Thanks! 🙂

42. Tara Hayes Carrasco on November 20, 2015 at 10:38 pm

I definitely need that cute desk to go with the shelves! Are there plans for that?

43. Diana on November 18, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I am sure you already posted this, but are the plans for the desk on the site somewhere?

44. Simpson Strong-Tie on November 18, 2015 at 11:46 am

We love this project! Thanks for sharing.

45. Trudi McDaniel on November 18, 2015 at 7:02 am

Great shelves, great tutorial. Thanks! I do have a question. I gathered from your steps you stained these AFTER they were on the wall and not before? I’m just trying to think through which would work best so I’m curious.

• Shanty2Chic on November 18, 2015 at 7:24 am

Thanks Trudi! It is totally optional! It is much easier to stain before, but I was in a hurry on this project. It kind of depends on your space and timing. Either way works great!

46. Kristy Jones on November 18, 2015 at 4:01 am

The floating corner shelves is really a good diy craft. I always change the looks of my room at least thrice a year and on my next activity, I will surely add a floating corner shelves. With the instructions given, I know that by making this one is not that complicated at all.

• Shanty2Chic on November 18, 2015 at 7:30 am