DIY Floating Corner Shelves

1M Shares

Hey friends!  So excited about how this latest build turned out!  I seriously now want a set of corner shelves in every room.  I am in the middle of revamping my daughter’s room, and just finished up one big corner.  Check out how these DIY Floating Corner Shelves turned out!

DIY Free Plans for Floating Corner Shelves by Shanty2Chic

This is a variation of our original DIY floating shelves, and so simple to build!  The best part?  Each shelf cost under $40 in lumber.   I will share the full tutorial below, and you can also download and print the FREE plans by clicking HERE !

Check out our How to Build a Floating Shelf Video HERE!

I used my miter saw to cut the frames for my shelves first.  This part uses 2×4 lumber.

Watch our How to Use a Miter Saw video HERE!

Once those were cut, I used my K5 Kreg Jig
to create 1.5″ pocket holes into each of my small pieces.

Watch our How to use a Kreg Jig video HERE!

create pocket holes on braces

Each short piece will have two pocket holes like below…

pocket holes in braces

Next, I used my Ryobi 18V drill to connect the small pieces to the longer wall cleats with 2.5″ pocket hole screws.  I added a line of Titebond wood glue under each small piece before connecting…

add wood glue

Building the floating shelf braces

Each cleat will have 3 small boards connected like this.

Building the shelf braces

Once I had all my braces built, I attached them to the wall.  Every wall is different, but this is the method I have used on every floating shelf in my house.

These are the Spax screws I used to attach the braces to the wall.  These are self-tapping and 3″ long.  3.5″ is a great length too.

Spax Screws

I marked lines on the wall where I wanted my shelves to sit.  I used a stud finder to mark my studs on the wall.  These are the 2×4 that are under the sheetrock.  Anytime you are mounting to the wall, it is best to try to screw into these studs for support.  I used my Ryobi Impact driver to go through the braces and into the studs in the wall.  Make sure to check for level so your shelf doesn’t sit wonky.  This is the level I use… Cheap and works like a charm!

how to attach a floating shelf to a wall

I attached the first two braces and it looked a bit like this…

Frames on wall

how to attach a shelf to a wall

I measured 13″ up from this brace to attach my next brace pieces using the same method.

How to build corner floating shelves

Next, I basically wrapped the brace pieces.  I started with the 1/4″ plywood for the bottoms of each shelf.  I used my Ryobi AirStrike nailer to attach these bottom pieces into the braces using wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails.  A stapler will also work on this part.  I used my table saw to rip down the 1/4″ wood for this part, but you can also have Home Depot rip it down for you.

Attach bottom boards

Ryobi AirStrike Nail Gun

Now I attached my top 3/4″ boards.  These are 1×10 common boards I found at Home Depot.  I cut them to size using my miter saw, and attached them using wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails.

Attach top pieces

add wood glue to top of shelf

attach top and bottom of shelves

I added my side pieces next using the same method… This is 1×4 common pine boards from Home Depot.

wood glue

side shot of floating shelves

At this point I added my front pieces.  I used wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails for this part as well.

Attach front boards

add glue to front board

Nail board to shelf brace

That’s it!  I stained these shelves using Varathane Kona stain.  You can find it on Amazon HERE!  I also found some Simpson Strong-Tie metal corners that I spray painted gold and attached using gold furniture tacks to each corner to dress each shelf up.  I LOVE the outcome!

DIY Corner Floating Shelves by Shanty2Chic

DIY Floating Corner Shelves by Shanty2Chic

DIY Floating Corner Shelves Free Plans

DIY Corner Shelves by Shanty2Chic

DIY Corner Shelves Free Plans by Shanty2Chic

DIY Free Plans for Floating Corner Shelves by Shanty2Chic

How cute is this wall too?  I kind of love it!

DIY Feature Wall by Shanty2Chic

I cut an “A” out of a scrap of wood and hot glued silk flowers to it.  The arrows, deer head and Love sign I found at Hobby Lobby.

I painted a cheap canvas with pink acrylic paint and hot glued gold feather ornaments to it that I found at Hobby Lobby.

I used my Silhouette Cameo
to cut the gold bow out and attach it to a sheet of pink scrapbook paper.  This is my very fav crafting tool!

I found the plates at At Home and the amazing gold feather garland is from Save-On-Crafts!

Hope that covers it!

Thanks so much for stopping by!!  Let me know if you have any questions at all!

1M Shares

1. Amy on May 12, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Where did you get those cute gold containers and the fearless sign on the lower shelf, and the deer head on the upper shelf? Thanks!

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 5, 2018 at 1:01 am

I love the floating corner shelves I built! I used the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org to build it – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

www. EasyWoodwork.org – click the red link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

2. Rachel on April 3, 2016 at 6:11 pm

The desk! Where did you get it?????

3. Carianne Royce on March 6, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I’m in love with these shelves! My only concern though–how easy are they to take down? I live in an apartment and would like to take them with me when I move out, without damaging them.

4. sarah cloes on February 17, 2016 at 2:57 pm

wondering where you got the desk from 🙂

5. Ashley Carreiro on February 13, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Hi! Could you tell me if you bought or made that desk?? Thanks!!

6. Christa on February 13, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I would love plans for the corner desk as well!

7. Roula Katsantonis on February 9, 2016 at 11:22 am

Where did you get the desk?

• bethany on August 31, 2017 at 10:35 am

Did Shanty2Chic ever get back to you about where to get the desk? It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for

8. Amber Smolek on January 29, 2016 at 4:25 pm

I made one of your deals and have been looking for a chair like this to finish my office space. Help please and thanks with some ideas of where I can find one?! 🙂

9. Christopher Fugle on January 24, 2016 at 8:59 am

Brilliant work. The corners of any room are usually unused or jammed up with a lamp or table, but you have used the high elevation to your advantage…rethinking display shelves now myself. Thanks!

10. Clarissa L. Groves on January 23, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Would you share (if you haven’t already) where you got that chair??

11. Corinne King on December 19, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Would it be possible to add hinges to the facial board to create a little bit of storage? I love the shelves and am going to try and talk my hubby into helping me make them. Thank you for the plans!

12. Meghan Hawkes on December 5, 2015 at 10:21 am

Hey girls! Want to make sure I’m not missing something… Is this 1×4 on the shopping list supposed to be a 1×6?

• Victoria Drew on January 3, 2016 at 11:18 am

Agreed! I did the plans and that typo messed me up. I think my shelves are too fat, and I got the 1×6. I had to add a 1/4 inch plywood and another inch of wood to fill the bottom.

• Shanty2Chic on January 3, 2016 at 1:27 pm

1×6! Thanks for finding that… I am just now seeing this message!

13. Lee on November 28, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Any plans on the desk? Love it!

14. Sabrina on November 25, 2015 at 11:24 am

I love this idea! My daughter wants to use these colors in her room now that we can paint. LOVE the desk!! Where are the plans for it??

15. Tara Hayes Carrasco on November 22, 2015 at 7:56 pm

I’m building this right now. Should J possibly need to be 31 1/2″ long instead of 32″ or am I doing something wrong? I don’t want to cut what I think and then it be too short when I go to hang, but it’s not lining up right as I’m laying it out. Thanks! 🙂

16. Tara Hayes Carrasco on November 20, 2015 at 10:38 pm

I definitely need that cute desk to go with the shelves! Are there plans for that?

17. Diana on November 18, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I am sure you already posted this, but are the plans for the desk on the site somewhere?

18. Simpson Strong-Tie on November 18, 2015 at 11:46 am

We love this project! Thanks for sharing.

19. Trudi McDaniel on November 18, 2015 at 7:02 am

Great shelves, great tutorial. Thanks! I do have a question. I gathered from your steps you stained these AFTER they were on the wall and not before? I’m just trying to think through which would work best so I’m curious.

• Shanty2Chic on November 18, 2015 at 7:24 am

Thanks Trudi! It is totally optional! It is much easier to stain before, but I was in a hurry on this project. It kind of depends on your space and timing. Either way works great!

20. Kristy Jones on November 18, 2015 at 4:01 am

The floating corner shelves is really a good diy craft. I always change the looks of my room at least thrice a year and on my next activity, I will surely add a floating corner shelves. With the instructions given, I know that by making this one is not that complicated at all.

• Shanty2Chic on November 18, 2015 at 7:30 am