DIY $25 Farmhouse Bench & YouTube Video

Hey guys!  So excited to share these plans today!  This is about as simple as they come!  We think just about every room can use a good bench.  Ash and I designed this DIY Farmhouse Bench for under $25 for our little sister’s home, and check out how it turned out!

DIY Farmhouse Bench Free Plans

$25 DIY Farmhouse Bench

Before we get started, make sure to check out our YouTube video tutorial on building this bench HERE or by clicking below!

You can download our FREE plans to build your own bench HERE!

We started by making our cuts!  For this bench we used our Ridgid 12″ sliding compound miter saw, but any miter saw will get the job done!

Once your cuts are made, it’s time for pocket holes.  We used a Kreg Jig K5 for this step!  Kind of, sort of, totally love this tool.  You can find it on Amazon HERE!  We use ours on just about every project.

kreg jig k5

You will line your bench top planks up first.  You can see on the photo where we placed the 1.5″ pocket holes.

We attached all of the boards with 2.5″ pocket hole screws through those pocket holes and into the adjoining boards.

top planks

Next, we added the breadboards.  These are the small pieces on each end of the top.  They give a more polished finish on each end.  We also attached these with 2.5″ pocket holes.

breadboards

Now to build the base!  We are building two of these and then we will attach them together with small runners.  We used our Kreg Jig to make 1.5″ pocket holes on each of our long runners.  There will be two on each of the ends, and we also placed them running down each one.  We will use those holes to attach the base to the top in a later step.  We attached each runner to a leg piece using wood glue and 2.5″ pocket hole screws.

leg assembly

After building two of these, we attached them using small runners. The plans call for you to attach all the small runners with 2.5″ pocket hole screws into the legs, but if you can’t fit your driver in the narrow space, you can also attach the small runners to the front leg assembly first using pocket hole screws, and then attach the back leg assembly to the runners using 2.5″ spax screws through the back leg assembly and into the runners like the photo below.

Build Base

Finally, we are attaching the base to the top.  We did this by laying the base upside down on the bottom of our bench top, and attaching with wood glue and 2.5″ pocket hole screws through the pocket holes on the aprons and into the bench top.

bottom

Flip it right side up, give it a coat of paint or stain and you’re done!

bench overview

Hope you love it as much as we do (and our sister does)!  This is a super simple, $25 bench that would be so cute in any room!  Make sure to send us pics or tag us on social if you build one!

And, don’t forget to check out the video again HERE and SUBSCRIBE!  We have a new video coming each week and we don’t want y’all to miss out!

DIY Board and Batten Wall by Shanty2Chic

1. Yesi on September 28, 2018 at 6:47 pm

Can I use nails or regular nails instead of pocket hole screws?

2. Wendy on September 3, 2018 at 8:34 pm

I just used these plans to build two 48” benches with a shoe rack underneath. I absolutely love them! 😍

3. Danielle LeCheminant on June 8, 2018 at 9:21 am

I love watching all your videos! I’ve pretty much have watched them all as I feeding my baby her bottle! I finally finished this mudroom bench and it looks awesome! I added farmhouse style X’s in the middle amd shelves on the bottom to make it my own but am so glad to have the shanty2chic plans available! So glad I found shanty2chic and got my kreg jig now. I will be building lots more to come so plz keep the videos coming!!

• www.EasyWoodwork.info on July 29, 2018 at 8:56 am

⭐🔨❤❤❤⭐🔨

I built my own using the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.info – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

⭐🔨

Head on over to www. EasyWoodwork.info if you want to learn more – click the pink link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

✌⭐🔨✌✌✌✌✌✌⭐🔨✌✌✌✌

4. Carey on May 7, 2018 at 1:51 pm

PLEASE share where those hooks can’t be found!!! 🤗

5. Amanda on March 25, 2018 at 9:52 am

Could you tell me where these hooks are from?

6. Linda Spradling on March 1, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Love this bench!! Had to scale mine down some for the space I wanted to put it in but it turned out beautiful!!! I’m onto the barn door console next! Love you two!
    Wish I could add the picture!

7. Shelly on January 25, 2018 at 11:46 pm

Where are the hooks from?

8. Annabelle Pellerin on September 20, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Hey! Loved the plans! So easy to follow for a beginner!
    I modified the dimensions since I needed it to fit into a set space, and made a faux-wall to hide old washer/dryer attachments. Here is my result:
    https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/fe63a6b12af9e5b057a2fca8cf3a904f75fb099cdfb56aaf606d971c0e97ca97.jpg https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/55ca7c922f4e6cafef6d229fb623ff93a4e78b5c858955dbab1cf92d1930c9fb.jpg

• Andrea Luna Battig on October 7, 2017 at 10:42 am

Love the color of stain, what color and brand did you use ?

9. Kristi Lynne on August 26, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Anyone know where these baskets are from??

• Ashlyn on June 26, 2018 at 11:18 pm

Following! I need those baskets! 😍

10. Lauren Haberman on June 29, 2017 at 5:40 am

Could you please tell us what color you used for the paint/stain? I love it but can’t seem to find anything similar.

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2017 at 8:45 am

Thank you! It’s Seine by Valspar!

• CanadianCowgirl1955 on June 29, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Beautiful!

11. Kara Lynn Worley on June 28, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Very easy to build! Fits perfectly under our entry way window. Stained the top and made it rustic by sanding the stain. I painted the legs with chalk paint and sanded them in certain spots to give it the same rustic look as the top. I used a sealer for the stain and legs. My dogs love to sit on it and look out the window!

12. Emily Houger on May 5, 2017 at 4:17 pm
    • Samantha Brantner on October 25, 2017 at 12:01 pm

I know this was posted awhile ago…but what color did you use to paint your bench!? It is beautiful

• Emily Houger on October 25, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I used two wood stains, Varathane Briarsmoke and Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut. I put them on in random stripes following the wood grain. Blending a little as I go. After that dries I put on a cream latex paint and water wash. Then I use a coarse brush to very lightly put on a cream colored latex paint to make it look like wood grain. Finish with a poly top coat.

• Abby on June 18, 2018 at 6:37 am

Can you tell me a little more about how you did this?
          With the stains in random stripes, did you cover the entire bench in those stripes?
          Did you apply the cream latex paint twice? You applied it, then water washed it? How do you water wash? And then did you reapply the paint lightly again as you described?
          Sorry for all the questions! This is the exact look I want to achieve! So pretty!

13. Nichole Caten on February 21, 2017 at 10:58 am

I tried to “submit your project” a couple of times and it just pends for hours and never submits for some reason, so Ill put it on here 🙂
    Thanks for the plans 🙂

• Lara on November 3, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Hi! What did you stain this with? Do you put a top coat on? I’m afraid to sit on it and have stain come off onto my tush! Thanks

• Nichole Caten on November 4, 2017 at 9:20 am

I used Minwax water based stain in Coffee. No top coat needed once stain dries it doesn’t come off. Just make sure it’s dry before you sit on it. I made this the morning of the Superbowl 2017 before our party and people sat on it all night. Water based stain only takes an hour to dry other stains take longer make sure to read the label to see how long it will take to fully dry. Hope this helps, happy building!

• Lara on January 16, 2018 at 10:43 pm

great, thank you!!

• Sheri on March 6, 2018 at 6:33 am

Beautiful

14. Amanda Eley on January 23, 2017 at 11:51 am

Where are the lights from?

15. Kelly L on October 4, 2016 at 5:33 am

What stain/paint did you use for your bench? I love the color!

16. Kathleen Weaver on September 27, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Check your plans, should the wood be 2″ x 4″ x 8′ (the plans show 8″).

And 2″ x 6″ x 8′

17. Sarah Condon on September 23, 2016 at 6:39 am

Is this stained or painted??

18. Tammy White on September 15, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Bought the wood and making this bench over the weekend. Hopefully I’ll get it finished and be able to share pictures. I’m painting it turquoise with valspar flat and your DIY plaster of Paris recipe then antiquing with dark wax. Can’t wait!

19. ColleenB. on September 11, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Ok, after reading and rereading and printing out the instructions; where does the
    1 – 2x3x8 come into play at??

• ColleenB. on September 12, 2016 at 1:05 am

Watched the video a couple of times but no mention of using the 2x3x8

• Del Johnston on September 14, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I am not sure if it was in the plans and they edited it, but I do NOT see a 2x3x8 anywhere in the plans I downloaded. Try downloading the plans again.

20. Zoe on September 8, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Did you guys cut the rounded edges off your 2xs?

• Zach Scott on September 19, 2016 at 7:25 am

sure looks that way. i was wondering the same thing. Maybe that is where the 2×3 comes into play that they refrenced?

• Shanty2Chic on September 19, 2016 at 7:39 am

We did! But this isn’t a necessary step!

• chloemamasd on September 28, 2016 at 10:46 am

What color paint/stain did you use on the bench?

• Zoe on September 20, 2016 at 1:12 pm