DIY Mug Holder and YouTube Video!

Hey guys!

It’s Wednesday and we are back with our latest YouTube video tutorial!  Are you subscribed to our channel?  If not, be sure to subscribe HERE!  Today we are sharing an awesome gift idea!  With Christmas just around the corner, we love finding fun and cute gift ideas that don’t break the bank.  Check out our Shanty Mug Holder!

diy-mug-holder-by-shanty2chic

How fun is that?  These are SO easy to make!  Be sure to check out the YouTube video first HERE or click the button below!

You can download and print the FREE PLANS by clicking HERE!

First, you want to make your cut.  This is a great scrap pile project!  Be sure to check your scraps before buying anything.  All you need is about 15″ of 1×8 board and 12″ of 2×2 or a 1.5″ dowel.

These are your cuts for the base which are made by trimming down 1×8 board.

cuts-for-mug-holder

And this is the dowel cut that will hold the mugs…

dowel-cut

Your first step is attach the two small square pieces together.  We used our new Ryobi battery hot glue guns for this… Guys, these are AMAZING!!!

ryobi-hot-glue-gun

They stack just like this…

glue-small-piece-to-large-piece

attach-wood-pieces

Next, we hot glued the dowel piece to the top and center of those pieces.

glue-long-piece

attach-dowel

To hold everything good and tight, we used a 2.5″ spax or wood screw through the bottom and into all 3 pieces.

add-screw-to-base

Once all of this is complete, you are ready to stain or paint yours!  After it dries, it’s time for the cute stuff!

I found all the knobs for the tops at Hobby Lobby.

I found hooks at Hobby Lobby and I also found these great hooks on Amazon I used on some other mug holders I gifted…

Brass Hooks

brass-hooks

Black Hooks

black-hooks

Here are a few more shots of our Mug Holders!

diy-mug-holder

diy-mug-holder-by-shanty2chic

Thanks so much for stopping by guys!  Let us know if you have any questions at all!

1. www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 4, 2018 at 11:50 pm

I built my own mug holder using the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

www. EasyWoodwork.org

2. Kristin on February 20, 2018 at 9:37 am

Ok. Who else is DROOLING over that vent hood?!? Do you have a plan to share for that?

3. Shawn on November 27, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Just completed one of these mug holders, I added to it by routering the edges of both pieces of the base. I really enjoyed this project and I think it turned out fantastic. Thank you for this project. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/f5724c0ee34047a6f839b91eb0b99ea7ccf94975b4519c5751ab5dc311e35179.jpg

4. Brandon Michael on May 22, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Just finished a couple of https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/54edbd13ba11e1a969b5d1961745d03d5d548d1e6f27cd81bcd868eb57ea5b12.jpg these and they turned out great! Love your guys projects!

5. Lorena Downey on January 9, 2017 at 9:57 am

My hubby and I love your stuff. We made your magazine tray for each one of our kids this year and they loved them. We are in the process of making this mug holder for a homemade gift exchange this weekend. We have a quick question, the knobs we found for the top all have the screw going in the opposite way as the one you had in the video. The head of the screw points down, we aren’t sure how to attach it to the top. Do you have any suggestions that might help?

6. Caroline on December 17, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Are you guys planning to post plans for the hood pictured above?! I LOVE it!

7. ms_leo on December 10, 2016 at 1:33 am

weathered and rustic without a top knob but may add later For the darker stained areas used a coffee-tea with a tad of black acrylic paint for stain with a gray acrylic then white wash it then dry brush white ,,,beat that wood up with a hammer and screw driver

8. Michelle on November 29, 2016 at 11:02 am

I’ll be making these for Christmas for family. I love them! But I’m really curious where you got that beautiful decorative piece on the wall above your stove top in the background.

9. Scott Gudaitis on November 16, 2016 at 4:49 pm

This is a great gift idea. Thank you shanty-2-chic.????

• Shanty2Chic on November 18, 2016 at 6:10 am

Thanks Scott! We appreciate it! 🙂

• Cristan on November 19, 2016 at 3:16 pm

I am making them now! 🙂

What are the stain colors you have used here? I’m loving the dark one!

• Sia on December 30, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Most likely Dark Walnut. Depends on wood type being used. Pine/poplar- jacobean/ebony. And water pop/ sand prior to staining to reduce blotchiness. Oak- dark walnut or jacobean are medium dark.