DIY Farmhouse Crib

Hey guys!  Whitney here… For those of you that follow us on Instagram and Facebook, you may have noticed my big news.  I am expecting a new little guy here in June and we are thrilled.  Thankfully, the nesting phase kicked in and I have been busy building him all the things :-)…  I decided the only way to share it with y’all was to build my reveal… Here it is for those that missed it!  Check out my DIY Farmhouse Crib with free plans guys!

Today I am sharing the plans for his crib with you guys.  I felt 100% confident in my carpentry (and sanding) skills to build this.  I am sharing how I built mine, and if you are comfortable enough to build your own, I hope my experience can help you out!  I also designed this crib to be a low profile crib.  I am only 5’2″ and I have always hated standing on my tippy toes to reach down and get the baby out.  I designed this mattress to sit very low to the ground.  The rails of the crib are still the required height but I dropped everything lower to customize.  If you want yours to sit higher, just add the same length to each leg and line the sides and front up higher than I did.  Be sure to sand the heck out of everything.  No splinters!

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Here it is all finished up and ready in his room!

DIY Farmhouse Crib - Free Plans

DIY Farmhouse Crib – Free Plans
Before I start, you can download and print the FREE PLANS here!

DIY Farmhouse Crib

First step is building the back of the crib.  I used 1×6 for this part.  I made all of my pocket holes using my Kreg K5 Jig.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

After adding all the pocket holes to secure the back, I flipped it over and started on the trim for the front.  I designed it to look like a barn door and I love how it turned out!  I used wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails to attach the trim pieces in place.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Next, I built the frame of the back part of the crib.  I noted this in the plans… I chose to rip all of my 2x boards to give them straight edges.  So, the 2×6 are all 5″ wide and the 2×4 are all 3″ wide.  If you choose not to do this, it won’t mess with the dimensions of everything else, but it will give your crib a slightly different finished look.

I made my pocket holes on the frame pieces first.  Since these are wider boards, I used 1.5″ pocket holes.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

I also used 1.25″ pocket hole screws through the outside planks and the tops and bottoms of all planks to connect the planked boards to the 2x frames.  Be sure to use wood glue on all the 2x joints.  You can also use it between your planks but don’t get messy because you will see the glue when you stain.

At this point, your crib should look like this…

DIY Farmhouse Crib

This alone would make a great full size headboard!

Moving on to the sides.  Pay close attention to measurements and spacing of pocket holes on this part because if you put them in the right place, your crib rails will cover them.  I started with the top board.  I measured and added all my 3/4″ pocket holes.  I have noted spacing in the plans.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

I attached this board to the top rail piece using wood glue and pocket hole screws.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Here is the opposite side of that board.  This will be the outside top side of the crib.  I placed my pocket holes on one side only so I would be able to access them when I assembled the crib.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Here is the bottom board.  I have also marked here where my slats will line up just to help me line them up straight when I nail them in.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

I attached this board to the outside bottom trim piece using wood glue and 1″ Spax screws.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Now I attached both of these pieces I created using the crib slats.  These are 1×2 boards that I nailed in place using wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails.  See how the pocket holes are getting covered up!

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Here is one side finished up!  You will need to make 2 of these…

DIY Farmhouse Crib

DIY Farmhouse Crib – Now for the front!

I built this basically the same as the sides but it will also have the frames. I built the bottom of the front by attaching the two boards like I did the sides, and then I attached the front legs to the bottom boards using pocket hole screws.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Next I made my pocket holes in my top board.  Again watch your spacing on this part so that they will be covered!

I attached the top board using 1.25″ pocket hole screws into the top of each leg.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Next, I lined up that whole frame on top of the top front rail piece and attached it using wood glue and 1.25″ pocket hole screws.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

The top rail will have a 1.5″ overhang on each side….

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Next I added my front slats using wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails.  Watch your spacing on this part!

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Time for the mattress.  I attached cleats to the front and the back of the crib using 2″ Spax screws.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

The mattress supports are 1×4 boards that sit on those cleats.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

You can see where the pocket holes are attaching the sides to the front and back…

DIY Farmhouse Crib – The Staining

After I finished building the crib, my amazing stepdad was kind enough to offer to stain this to keep me from having to do it.  I gladly took him up on his offer!  I chose to use Briarsmoke by Varathane and I am so pleased with the results.

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Speaking of stain… Did y’all catch our latest YouTube video on how to stain wood?  Here it is!

He also sprayed the entire crib with a polyurethane after the stain dried.

Now let’s talk about that hardware…  I die.  Love it so much.  I told our good friend Tyler of Wayne Works what I had in mind and he did not disappoint.  He even rounded the edges just a bit giving them a softer look.  He’s selling them guys!  You can get them HERE!

DIY Farmhouse Crib

Here it is again all finished up a DIY Farmhouse Crib!

1. Melinda on August 8, 2019 at 5:26 pm

Is this adjustable? I ask because it does not look like it. How to you put a newborn in this?

• Joe on August 25, 2019 at 7:21 pm

I’m also curious how to make this adjustable.

2. Caleb from Miami on July 29, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Anybody have an thoughts on using aerosol polyurethane in a can vs brushing it on or even spraying it with a spray gun?

I’m looking for the easiest way possible that will still yield great results.

• Allen on August 31, 2019 at 8:23 pm

They both yield beautiful results of you do it right. The trick is to sand between coats. I usually sand with 400 grit or so between coats. Just enough to knock down any dust particles/any other blemishes from the previous coat

3. Laura on June 16, 2019 at 10:45 am

HI how many pieces of each size of wood are needed?

4. Nicole on June 8, 2019 at 10:24 pm

How was the conversion for you? Whay modifications did you finish with and what possibility is there to have this crib design grow with child? (3 in 1 crib)

• KW on June 9, 2019 at 7:05 am

I looked everywhere for an answer to this but couldn’t find one. So I converted my sons crib to a toddler bed myself. I removed the entire front, left the side rails and back. Added a large piece of wood to the bottom of the front to stabilize. Works perfect and looks so cute!!! It doesn’t have a rail, to keep them from rolling off, but I needed a quick fix as my child was overly ready for a toddler bed, so I added a little bumper that goes under his mattress. Works and looks adorable! Then when he’s grown out of that, I plan on converting it to a bed, using the back as the backboard to the bed.

5. John on May 11, 2019 at 7:00 pm

Hi! I love these plans, but there doesn’t seem to be any indication of the cut angle for the two trim boards that are cut on an angle… Any ideas?

Thanks!

• John on May 21, 2019 at 11:17 am

In case anyone comes looking for this answer – it’s a 20 degree angle cut

6. KW on April 23, 2019 at 6:46 am

I made this crib successfully 2 years ago before our baby was born. He’s ready to go into a toddler bed, any recommendations on how to take the front rail off & convert?

7. organic food shopping on November 26, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Only, then it can be given to the tiny kids, to provide freedom from varied forms
    of diseases. From the simple plastic or wooden constructions that children can ride on, to pull or push toys that toddlers would enjoy
    to ride on, to motor-driven riders and miniaturized versions of popular car brands and makes which can be favored by young children, ride-on toys would continually be a section of any child’s playtime menagerie.
    Ask people around, do some research or ask elders before heading
    shopping for your loved one.

8. Penny on March 3, 2018 at 1:00 pm

We are not builders but would like to purchase one of these beautiful cribs. Do you sell them?

• Samantha on January 6, 2019 at 9:52 pm

I too am curious how a standard crib mattress fits when the death of the sides are .25” shorter than all mattresses I’ve seen.
      I’m also having a hard time locating where I can buy the corner bracing as the Etsy shop link states they are sold out.

9. Lacy on February 19, 2018 at 8:45 am

The crib mattresses I am seeing are 52″ x 27.5″, but it looks like it will only fit a 52x 27.25″. Can anyone tell me what size mattress worked for them?

10. Chandy on January 21, 2018 at 11:45 am

Hi,
    What kind of polyurethane spray did you use after staining?

11. Jacquelyn on January 3, 2018 at 6:04 pm

My husband and I have been eyeing these plans for a few weeks now. My only question stems from my concern of the mattress being so low. Is there a way to build this to have the mattress height be adjustable as the baby grows? I was planning on making the legs taller, as it appears some others have done, just because I like that look just a little better. However, my concern is I would have a harder time putting the baby in the crib or getting him out.

12. Jill Welch on November 2, 2017 at 10:48 am

Can anyone share a supplies list and cost?

• Randy on June 30, 2018 at 7:27 pm

I just bought all the supplies and it was around $140 (including a few smaller tools)

• Trevor Grotepas on March 2, 2019 at 12:42 pm

Do you have the list of supplies?

• Jon on March 18, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Regarding the metal decorations, I bought a sheet of aluminum for 15.00 at Menards and cut on table saw. Pretty easy, then a little sanding and some spray paint

• KW on April 23, 2019 at 6:45 am

13. Cindy Sowell on September 26, 2017 at 7:27 pm

We are in the process of making this beautiful crib!! We can’t figure out why our measurements aren’t working! On the crib headboard there are 9 pieces of wood that have been ripped to 5″ wide. That’s equal to 45″. The bottom board is supposed to be cut at 49 1/2″. How does that fit? We cut 3 1/2″ off the bottom board, now we’re wondering if the crib mattress will fit!

• Frank Lilley on December 5, 2017 at 12:42 am

Those boards werent supposed to be ripped to 5″ only the 2″ boards were supposed to be ripped down

• Cindy Sowell on December 5, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Thanks for your reply Frank! But, the instructions say to rip all the 2xs. (2×6, and all 2x4s) “Next, I built the frame of the back part of the crib. I noted this in the plans… I chose to rip all of my 2x boards to give them straight edges. So, the 2×6 are all 5″ wide and the 2×4 are all 3″ wide. If you choose not to do this, it won’t mess with the dimensions of everything else, but it will give your crib a slightly different finished look.”

• Frank Lilley on December 5, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Only the top board, bottom board and 2 edge boards are 2″ boards, those make up the frame. The inside boards are 1×6 boards and DO NOT get ripped down. That is where your discrepancy comes from. Inside the frame is 49.5 inches

• Cindy Sowell on December 5, 2017 at 8:01 pm

You’re right! Thank you for the clarification! 😀 I guess we were just in a ripping frenzy! I really hope the crib mattress fits!

14. Luisa on August 18, 2017 at 11:43 am

I love this crib, but had one concern in regards to bow low it is. Wouldn’t want any creepy crawlers in there with the baby as well as is it comfortable for the parents in regards to bending down to lay baby to sleep?

15. Taylor Peterson on March 20, 2017 at 10:04 pm

I had a question. My friend absolutely loves this crib was gonna build it for her. However she asked if it was a convertible into toddler, day, and full bed. If it’s not do you think I could modify to make it into this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Again congrats on having a little boy!!!

• Sean Riley on September 5, 2017 at 8:28 pm

You could make it one by taking off the front piece. Then add another 2×6 to the front of each sidebar peices, add another bottom horizontal support for mattress and stain to match.

16. Amit Makhijani on March 13, 2017 at 7:22 am

I have a question on the mattress size. Based on your plans, the area that the mattress will drop into and rest on will be 52″ x 27.25″. It looks like this is the minimum size for crib mattresses based on what I’m seeing? Since I’m not familiar with the mattresses themselves, will any standard crib mattress be able to squeeze in?

17. Trista on February 19, 2017 at 9:58 pm

How much in total do you think this cost you to make??

• Amit on September 17, 2018 at 9:51 am

In Canada, it cost me $57 worth of wood.

• Paul on July 10, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Where did you buy your wood that you were able to get everything that cheap?

18. Carne on February 11, 2017 at 11:32 am

I have an airstrike brad nailer, do you think 1.25in brad nails would work for attaching the trim on the headboard instead of finish nails? I guess I could do the finish nails by hand (just takes longer).

Also, for mine, I’m going to make the bed height adjustable by using connector bolts and instert nuts. I’ll post a pick when I’m done.

19. Courtney on February 8, 2017 at 4:21 pm

hi! i love the crib but i do have one question. Are you able to convert this into a toddler bed with the headboard and footboard? if so how would you do that?

• Carne on February 11, 2017 at 1:50 pm

I think this could be converted fairly easily with a few modifications to how you construct the crib front. I’m actually a considering this as I build one right now.

My thoughts are to use threaded inserts and connector bolts vice pocket hole screws to connect the crib front to the side rails. This will allow the crib front to be removed as a solid piece to allow for future installation of a toddler rail.

For the toddler rail, it will need the stability of the legs that are designed into the crib front, so I think I can follow the directions for the crib front (steps 7-9), and modify it so instead of installing the upper rail 30in high, add a lower guard rail approx 20in high with an opening of approx 16in to allow the little guy to climb in and out of bed. Only downside I can see, is that this makes a large piece to store when not being used. Luckily I have some time to design and build this since I won’t need to convert this for another 18mo.