How to Distress Finish Furniture – How To Video

A question we get so often is “How do you do your distressed finishes on your furniture pieces”? Well, we thought that would be best explained in a quick video!

You can click below or HERE to watch our How to Get a Distressed Finish video on Youtube! Make sure to subscribe to our channel so you don’t miss another video AND if you click the bell icon, you will get notified every time we have a new video up!

Our four favorite distressed finishes that we decided to share with you are:

The Distressed Stain Finish

The Distressed Paint Finish

The Chippy Paint Finish

and last but not least The Barn Wood Finish!

The best thing about these finishing techniques, besides being super easy, they are totally customizable! You can use any color stain and any color paint to match your taste πŸ™‚

Which is your favorite?

1. Jacqui on December 29, 2017 at 5:09 pm

What colors of stain and paint did you use in this video?

2. Tiarra Lambert on July 17, 2017 at 6:41 am

How many different stains would you suggest sticking to when decorating? I have multiple projects in mind but I am having a hard time deciding what color stain to use.

3. Jasmine on March 14, 2017 at 6:08 pm

I m redoing my dining table and I stained it carbon gray from varathane. It’s too dark and some spots are little bit sticky but hard to tell. I’ve been looking at white washing or dry brushing . What color would you recommend and method?

4. Anne Bolick on March 6, 2017 at 10:10 am

What finish did you use on these mirrors? I am currently building them with the tutorial, but the tutorial ends with them being stained and I want them white. Thanks so much!

5. Matthew Mark Greschak on February 24, 2017 at 7:35 am

For the “Barnwood” look I typically do a whitewash/sand/stain process. Is that just an unnecessary step? Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

• Shanty2Chic on February 24, 2017 at 7:37 am

It’s just a personal preference πŸ™‚ The chalked paint gives a white wash look over the stain for us and it’s a two step process.

6. kelli tu on February 23, 2017 at 1:17 am

I just stained my coffee table that I built and don’t like the color. Can I just sand it down and restain it?

7. Brandi Miller on February 18, 2017 at 8:59 am

Will you be doing a how to for the type “C” finish talked about on a previous post??

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2017 at 6:28 pm

“C” is the chippy finish πŸ™‚

8. Jack on February 17, 2017 at 11:59 am

On the Barn Wood Finish, I understand you can use any stain color for a start but what overspray do you use? Is it always white? Can it be something else?

• Shanty2Chic on February 17, 2017 at 8:11 pm

It can be any color you want πŸ™‚ we just like white. We have done gray in some projects too!

• Jack on February 18, 2017 at 12:29 am