DIY Modern Farmhouse Media Console Table

Hey friends!

I am so excited about how this piece I’m sharing today turned out!  We renovated the Berry’s home for them on HGTV, and one of the problems they had was limited space to store their kids toys as well as TV equipment.  We wanted to give them a piece that solved both issues, and this is what we came up with!

I love everything about this piece, from the hardware to the design and that paint color!

Before we get started, be sure to download and print the FREE PLANS by clicking HERE!

Here are the overall dimensions for this piece…

The first step to building this console is assembling the box of the piece.  The majority of this table is built using PureBond hardwood plywood in Birch from Home Depot.  We typically have the guys at Depot rip ours down, and we make the precise smaller cuts at home.  To assemble this part, I used 3/4″ pocket holes and 1.25″ pocket hole screws using our K5 Kreg Jig.   This is by far our FAV modelPeople often ask which Kreg Jig to start with. and will build small to huge projects.  We have used the same model for years.  You won’t regret it!

Now line up the middle shelf and base shelf using wood glue and 1.25″ pocket hole screws.

Say hi to Andrew and Stephen 🙂

You can see here how that bottom shelf is lined up from the base of the side and middle pieces.

After the base is assembled, build the front face frame of the table.  This is built using 1x boards and connecting everything using wood glue and 1.25″ pocket hole screws.

Now, attach the face frame to the box of the table using wood glue and 1.25″ pocket hole screws.

This is what the top of the corner should look like…

The top sides will show exposed hardwood plywood, but I filled mine with wood putty and sanded it down a bit before painting to give it a really smooth finish.

The back of the console is 1/4″ hardwood plywood cut to fit behind the cabinet portion.  I kept the top open to allow cords to be run behind the piece.  Attach the back with 1″ staples.

Final step is doors!  These are created using panels cut to size and then trimmed in small wood pieces.  It gives the piece a really modern feel and they are super easy to build too.  I used 1/2″ brad nails and glue to attach the door trim.

Once that was finished, I filled all my nail holes and painted the entire thing with Urbane Bronze by Sherwin-Williams.  I am a bit obsessed with this color 🙂

After that dried, I added the hardware.  I really wanted hardware that would make this piece pop, and I found a company online that sells different and antique style hardware and fell in LOVE.  It’s called House of Antique Hardware.  Check them out and try not to love everything.

These are the hinges I used for the doors.

These are the pulls I used on the cabinet doors.

That sums it up guys!

I hope you love it as much as we did when we got it in their house!  I almost wanted to keep it myself 😉

Here it is all finished up!

Let us know if you have any questions at all!  Happy building!

1. Jay V on January 15, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Miss leading measurements in step 5 of the PDF and the website (back panel dimensions). The correct dimensions should be 25 3/4″ by 72″. The cut sheet diagram is correct showing the right dimensions.

2. Ashley on January 8, 2018 at 4:31 pm

I downloaded the plans but there isn’t a cut list where there would be it’s just a bunch of random letters and numbers🤔 I would love to build it just need the plans

3. Kiri Simpson on December 9, 2017 at 10:18 am

What type of MDF board is used?

4. Dianelis Larrinaga on November 1, 2017 at 7:07 am

Id like to transform this into a sliding door console. I want to substitute the plywood but not sure for what. Any ideas? Id only put plywood to cover the back.

5. Shane Boyer on October 24, 2017 at 6:44 am

This project worked out really well for our living room. I modified the dimensions to fit behind our couch better, and I added some case molding around the top to better match the rest of our furniture. I also used concealed Euro-style hinges for a cleaner look. Also, you can see our kitchen table made using the plans from this site. Thank you!

6. Crystal Archer on October 4, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Absolutely beautiful! Would love to see a video tutorial on this as I’m a total visual learner. Love the work you two do!

7. Amanda on August 18, 2017 at 8:16 am

Love it! I also live the 3 piece print over the console…..can you tell me where you had it made/bought it?

8. Kelly @North Country Nest on July 10, 2017 at 6:57 am

Oh my goodness, this is a beautiful console table! The color looks great against the black hardware.
    Best,
    Kelly

• Paul Perugini on July 10, 2017 at 11:41 am

Yes, beautiful, but at WHAT cost? Anyone care to hazard a guess?

9. Amanda Farris on July 8, 2017 at 10:02 am

Would be awesome if you could show us a) how you make sure and keep everything square, b) how you keep the cabinet doors lined up so they look as perfect as they do, c) overall cost of the project, and d) selection of hardwoods.

10. Paul Perugini on July 7, 2017 at 9:54 am

How much was spent on materials?

• Jaclyn Davis on October 12, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Hey Paul when we initially bought everything we spent about $240 the hardware she used is about $60-70 that’s where I am at in building this. After everything I think I’ll be at about $340. I love how tall it is and long. Much bigger then your usual TV console.

11. Tara Riehm on July 7, 2017 at 9:20 am

I love the console! I’m trying to convince my husband that I could build one just like it! I also love the painted brick fireplace. Ours it exactly like the one in your picture…what color paint did you use?