How we give rounded lumber a straight edge!

Hey friends!

One of our TOP ASKED questions is how we get our straight edges on our 2x framing lumber we use for building.  We answer it all the time, so we thought it would be helpful to show you!  Check out our latest video HERE or below to see how we give our lumber a straight edge!

HERE is a link to the table saw we used in this video!

HERE is a link to a less expensive option!

Let us know if you have any questions at all!

1. Brittney Rhoads on October 9, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Hi! I just purchased the Ryobi table saw and when I tried to rip the edges of my 2×4 burn marks from the blade showed up all the way down the side. How do I prevent this from happening?

• Shanty2Chic on October 9, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Putting a sharper blade will help, also make sure your fence is straight. Sometimes the boards can be bowed, which will cause this, but you can sand most of it away.

• Brittney Rhoads on October 9, 2017 at 11:37 pm

Great, thanks! Any blade recommendations? The blade is brand new but it is the one that came with the saw.

• Rob on January 11, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Try raising your saw blade higher that should help too.

2. Dee on September 23, 2017 at 10:21 pm

I love your videos! I have a question for y’all: what is the best way to fix a blotchy staining job? Here’s what I did: sanded my wood stools, burned cute little designs on them, applied wood conditioner and then the stain (like I usually do) and…comes out super blotchy! Do I sand it and start over? Strip it? Use shellac instead of conditioner next time?

3. Mark Dowdle on September 16, 2017 at 10:26 pm

I am building the Rustic Modern King Bed and in the plans it says that you did this to all 2x boards. However, in the plans it says that after ripping the curved edge off the boards the finished board is 3 1/4 inch. I tried this with a test board and I can’t seem to remove the entire curved edge and keep the board 3 1/4 inch. If I go down to 3 inches like in this tutorial I can cleanly remove the entire curved edge, but then I am 1/4 inch off according to the plans. Any clarifying thoughts?

• Jacqueline Krausman on December 2, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Is a table saw the only way that you can rip the curved edge off the board or is it possible to also do with a miter saw?

• Mark Dowdle on December 3, 2017 at 7:28 am

Yes – you will need a table saw. The boards are too long for a miter saw. Once you get the hang of it with the table saw it is pretty easy and goes quick. I finished our Rustic Modern King Bed….laying in it as I type this. Started the matching barn door night stands this week. About 75% finished with the first one. Good luck with your build.

4. Debora Cadene on September 14, 2017 at 6:27 am

Are you doing this to both sides or just the one??

• Shanty2Chic on September 14, 2017 at 6:34 am

Both sides.

• Debora Cadene on September 14, 2017 at 6:53 am

Thank you. So first set the saw to 31/8, cut then flip the board, setting the saw to 3″?

• Shanty2Chic on September 14, 2017 at 7:14 am

Set it to 3 3/8 first, then flip it and set the saw to 3 1/8. This will give you a 3″ board 🙂

• Debora Cadene on September 14, 2017 at 7:28 am

Got it!! Thanks ladies. And I like the idea of making all the cuts first, then running them all through the saw, vs handling the full length board. Have a great day!!

• Shanty2Chic on September 14, 2017 at 7:40 am