DIY 8 Board Farmhouse Coffee Table

Hey guys!  Happy Wednesday!  Happy day before Thanksgiving day!  I can’t wait for #allthefood!  Today we are sharing a super cute table you can make for under $40 in lumber and only 8 boards… Heck yes.  Sign me up!  Before we get started, be sure to check out the YouTube video tutorial HERE or in the link below!

How cute did this Farmhouse Coffee Table turn out??

Farmhouse Coffee Table

Before we get started, be sure to download and print the FREE PLANS HERE!

First, build two boxes for each leg assembly. These are attached using wood glue and 2.5” pocket hole screws through the horizontal boards and into the vertical boards.  You want your pocket holes facing the outside of the box on this part because we will cover them with another board on the next part.  We used our K5 Kreg Jig for this part.  We get asked ALL the time which Kreg Jig to start with.  We always suggest the K5.  We use it on almost every build.  You can find it HERE on Amazon!

Farmhouse Coffee Table

Now add the decorative pieces to the top and bottom. These edges are cut at a 45˚ angle and are attached to each assebly with wood glue and 2.5” wood screws through each decorative piece and into the leg assembly.

Farmhouse Coffee Table

We cut the decorative diagonal pieces to fit on this part. Mark each board with your pencil and cut them to fit exact. You can check out the video if you have questions about this part! We walk you through it. Cut the diagonal pieces to fit first, then mark and attach them to each other using wood glue and nails. Then, fit them in the box and attach them with wood glue and nails through the box and into each end of the X piece.

Farmhouse Coffee Table

To build the top, we used our Kreg Jig to create 1.5” pocket holes down one side of 4 of our 5 longer boards, and also at both ends of all 5 boards. Attach the 5 boards to each other first with 2.5“ pocket hole screws, and then attach the breadboards with 2.5” pocket hole screws.

Farmhouse Coffee Table

Create the shelf assembly of the table the same way! Attach the three boards to each other using 2.5” pocket hole screws. Don’t forget to add the pocket holes on each end to attach this to the leg assembly later.

Farmhouse Coffee Table

Now attach the horizontal runner that will go between each leg assembly. This is attached using wood glue and 2.5” pocket hole screws into each assembly. You will also attach the bottom shelf to both sides on this part. Make sure your pocket holes are facing down.

Farmhouse Coffee Table

Final step is attaching the top! Line the top up evenly on the base. Set the top face down on the ground and attach the base through the horizintal runner using wood glue and 2.5” wood screws.. You can also add a few 2” nails through the top and into the bases.

Farmhouse Coffee Table Stain

I stained the table using Varathane Briarsmoke stain and I mixed it with half natural stain to lighten it up just a bit.  I did a 50/50 mix.  Just stir it really good.  You can find it HERE on Amazon.

Farmhouse Coffee Table

I added the decorative hardware last.  I found that at Hobby Lobby.  This is a link to one of their corner pieces.

And here she is all finished!

I found the glass vases HERE!

I found the flower stems HERE!

The tutorial for the sign can be found HERE!

The tutorial for the corner corbel can be found HERE!

1. Em Thompson on March 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm

I love this & your videos. It’s really helped my confidence level (as a total beginner.) I’ve built your floating shelves (LOVE them) and the cake stand you did (I’m adding dowels in the middle for the connecting parts so I can take it apart & store it almost flat & not worry about Velcro) I’m wondering if you’d do a console that matches this? I really like Ana White’s x console but liked your legs better!

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 5, 2018 at 12:41 am

I built my coffee table!! I used the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org to build mine – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

www. EasyWoodwork.org

2. Jamie on February 23, 2018 at 9:42 am

I too want to know… what kind of wood did you use? Pine, fir or….? I’m never sure what’s best to grab. Do you find furniture grade? Pine is so soft & limited in my area for dimensions. Fir is readily available but I’m not sure how the end product comes out. Thanks!

3. Rick on February 11, 2018 at 12:54 pm

I built one of these without the Xs (because I have a 2 year old that would’ve been climbing up all day long). It came out awesome. I wish so could share a pic. Thanks for sharing the plans!

4. TGotts on February 3, 2018 at 6:53 pm

What is that black bit you have on your quiet strike?

5. #wooddiva on January 21, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Are you going to have plans for matching end tables?

6. Jessica on January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am

LOVE THIS!!!! Does anyone know where the basket underneath the table came from? I’d like to get something similar. Thank you!

• Bailie on April 20, 2018 at 10:41 am

Ikea

7. Jessica on January 2, 2018 at 8:02 pm

What is the final height and width.

8. Dean on December 31, 2017 at 8:58 am

I love the color and just want to verify how you got it. You mixed 50% natural premium Varathane (none fast drying) with 50% Varathane Briarsmoke (fast drying). Is this correct?

9. Jacqueline Krausman on December 17, 2017 at 7:46 pm

I need some help with the x’s! I can not get the diagnol cuts right.

10. Pujo Jojo on December 13, 2017 at 5:39 am

How do I get the material and cut sheet?

• Shanty2Chic on December 13, 2017 at 6:42 am

It’s on the free printable plans. There is a link that says click here, towards the top of the page.

• Pujo Jojo on December 15, 2017 at 4:43 am

Found it!
        Thanks you guys, love the channel!

11. Pujo Jojo on December 13, 2017 at 5:39 am

How do I get the material and cut sheet?

• Shanty2Chic on December 13, 2017 at 6:42 am

12. Lorie Gee on December 4, 2017 at 10:49 am

Help! I feel like I’m going crazy, what angle is your mitre saw set at to do the cross pieces?! I just wasted 3 2×4’s trying to get them to look right. I did the trick with pencil and everything but they look terrible and don’t line up!

• Jacqueline Krausman on December 17, 2017 at 9:02 pm

I can’t get it either 😩

• abbe on January 7, 2018 at 7:30 pm

i cant either!!! there has to be a trick that we are missing

• Rob Davis on January 9, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Hi Lorie! You can use an angle finder to get the correct angles on the mitered X’s…. Measure each one after you mark them with a pencil because you will have two different readings with slight variances in each of them. I use a digital angle finder from HD, Husky brand & it works great! Best of luck to you!!

13. Lorie Gee on December 4, 2017 at 10:49 am

14. Beth on November 30, 2017 at 11:06 am

What kind of wood do you use and from where? Been going to home depot and using the framing lumber which splinters like crazy no matter how I cut it. Any suggestions??

15. Beth on November 30, 2017 at 11:06 am

16. yourlubert on November 27, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Could you sexualize your comments anymore? So bad!

17. A Byars on November 23, 2017 at 10:45 am

Great job, ladies. I’m saving this to build later. Thanks for all your help and ideas.

18. A Byars on November 23, 2017 at 10:45 am

19. Janell Thomas on November 22, 2017 at 8:05 pm

I love, love, love the table! I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but whenever I have a piece where I need to attach boards together for a table top with 2.5 inch pocket holes and 1.5 inch ph scewsI have a problem with the screws coming through the wood and showing up on the top. Help please.

• Michelle on November 23, 2017 at 4:59 am

You may need to check your settings on your jig. Make sure it corresponds with the thickness of the wood you are using.

20. Janell Thomas on November 22, 2017 at 8:05 pm