DIY Sliding Barn Door Console

Ok… My love for this next piece is extreme!  Look how cute this DIY Sliding Barn Door Console turned out!

We partnered with Purdy to show how using high-quality painting tools makes all the difference in your final product. Read on for more!

You can check out the YouTube video tutorial HERE or by clicking the link below!

Before we get started, be sure to download and print the FREE PLANS by clicking HERE!

The first step of this build is to assemble the frame or box.  This uses 3/4″ hardwood plywood.  I had the guys at the hardware store rip mine to 12″ boards making it easier to get home.  Then, I made my cross cuts using my miter saw.

I used my Kreg Jig to make 3/4″ pocket holes on the plywood panels.  You can see on the plans where to make all of yours.  I attached everything using wood glue and 1.25″ pocket hole screws.

Once you have all of the vertical boards attached, attach the top 1×6 board to the front and top of the box.  This will be what hangs the barn door hardware in a later step.  Attach this board using wood glue and 1.25″ pocket hole screws.

Now it’s time to attach the bottom trim.  Attach the two side pieces first using wood glue and nails, and then attach the long front board also with wood glue and nails.

We are adding the shelves next.  These are going to be attached using wood glue and 1.25″ pocket hole screws through the pocket holes on the bottom side of each shelf board.

Next we will add the front trim boards.  These are 1×2 that we are attaching with wood glue and finish nails.  We like to measure these and cut at this point to get an exact fit.  Start with the vertical boards and then measure and cut for the horizontal boards.

Now we are attaching the top board.  This is a pine project panel.  You can typically find them on the common board aisle at the hardware store.  I ripped mine down with my table saw to the correct width, but you can also have the hardware store do that for you.  I made the cross cut for the length using my miter saw.  Lay this board down with the good side facing the floor and lay the console upside down on top of it.  Attach the two using 1.25″ pocket hole screws.

We are building the door next.  This is super easy!  This is also a pine project panel cut to size, and then we are trimming it using inexpensive pine craft boards.  Start with the horizontal boards and then line up the diagonal boards and mark to make a tight fit.  Attach these craft boards using wood glue and 5/8″ nails.

And now for the finish… Yeah!  This is always the most fun part!  It’s amazing how a good coat
of paint or stain can change the entire look of a piece.  I started by staining the door and
console top using a Purdy 2.5” Syntox brush, which is a synthetic brush designed specifically for
latex and oil-based stains, paints, varnishes, and clears to provide a smooth, mirror-like and
even finish.

I decided to paint the rest of the console.  I used a Purdy NEST 9” Paint Tray and the Purdy
Revolution Jumbo Mini Roller Frame with Ultra Finish Roller Covers to make this
part really fast and simple!

To add to the rustic feel, we chose to use HGTV HOME by Sherwin-Williams INFINITY® Interior
Complete One-Coat Paint & Primer in Software (HGSW1463), with a satin finish.

Seriously I LOVE this roller!  The microfiber is the bomb and I had the whole cabinet painted in under 30 minutes!  It picked up and distributed paint so evenly, I never had to worry about paint dripping, or the roller dragging or catching.

After everything dried I added the hardware.  I found the MOST amazing hardware.  The best part??  It was under $40!  Crazy!  You can find it HERE!

And here she is all finished up in my entryway!  I’m so happy with how this turned out.  The Purdy
tools really made all the difference in the look and feel of the final product; the paint is smooth
and even with no streaking or bubbling.

1. Jess Hooper on December 7, 2017 at 11:30 am

Can someone please tell me where the 1x6x6 board that is cut down to 23″ long pieces is being used. It’s in a purple color on the pdf. I originally thought it was for the door but that is cut from the 3/8 x 6 craftboard.

• Jessica Potter on December 7, 2017 at 11:46 pm

I couldn’t figure it out either. I built one and never used the 1×6. I don’t know if it was a misprint or what

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 5, 2018 at 4:06 am

Yes!! I did this! I used the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org to build mine – I highly recommend you visit that website and check their plans out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

Go to www. EasyWoodwork.org – click the red link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

2. Jess Hooper on December 7, 2017 at 11:30 am

• Jessica Potter on December 7, 2017 at 11:46 pm

3. Taylor on December 4, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Instead of buying a 1×6 1×4 and 1×2 for the trim could we just rip down the spare plywood to save $?

4. Taylor on December 4, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Instead of buying a 1×6 and 1×4 for the trim could we just rip down the spare plywood to save $?

5. Luis DjValentino Compean on December 2, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Total cost price of this?

6. Luis DjValentino Compean on December 2, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Total cost price of this?

7. Annie Hensley on December 1, 2017 at 11:54 am

Where is the link for barn door hardware? Thanks!

8. Annie Hensley on December 1, 2017 at 11:54 am

Where is the link for barn door hardware? Thanks!

9. Jason Snow on November 30, 2017 at 9:46 am

I am a newbie to the woodworking world. Could you help me understand what a Pine Project Panel is and where can i find it? Also, i cant find the 3/8x6x2 and 3/8x4x2 craft board online at lowes or home depot, how do i find them? All other cut list items I have. Help Please

• Sandra Jaime on December 6, 2017 at 4:33 pm

I’m having the same issue, please tell me you’ve figured it out or they secretly replied to you. Someone please help!!!

• Taylor on December 6, 2017 at 6:28 pm

It’s in the trim section at Home Depot. Paint grade is around $20 and stain grade is around $30

• Sandra Jaime on December 7, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Taylor I love you!!!!!!! thanks so much! I asked around at home depot and no seemed to know what I was talking about. Wish me luck!

10. Jason Snow on November 30, 2017 at 9:46 am

• Sandra Jaime on December 6, 2017 at 4:33 pm

• Taylor on December 6, 2017 at 6:28 pm

• Sandra Jaime on December 7, 2017 at 10:02 pm

11. Jessica Potter on November 27, 2017 at 2:44 pm

What are the finished dimensions?

• Jessica Potter on November 30, 2017 at 8:39 am

I think I found it. What about the handle on the door?

12. Jessica Potter on November 27, 2017 at 2:44 pm

What are the finished dimensions?

• Jessica Potter on November 30, 2017 at 8:39 am

I think I found it. What about the handle on the door?

13. chispitacarreras on November 17, 2017 at 11:35 am

Also, what’s the standard size of a pine board panel? Would it be difficult to make the same console about 5 inches deeper?

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:46 am

Laminated Pine Board or project panel 🙂 You would just need to adjust the widths of the boards to make it deeper!

14. chispitacarreras on November 17, 2017 at 11:35 am

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:46 am

• chispitacarreras on December 14, 2017 at 9:05 am

Thank you so much!

15. Jolene on November 16, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Yes paint and stain colors please! Love this for my entryway!

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:47 am

Software by Sherwin Williams is the paint and Briarsmoke is the stain 🙂

16. Jolene on November 16, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Yes paint and stain colors please! Love this for my entryway!

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:47 am

Software by Sherwin Williams is the paint and Briarsmoke is the stain 🙂

17. chispitacarreras on November 16, 2017 at 12:51 pm

I would love to know the name of the paint color and stain, please! I’m making this for my living room!

• Tracy Goemans on November 21, 2017 at 8:44 am

Did you ever receive the color info?

• chispitacarreras on November 21, 2017 at 9:51 am

I didn’t. I guess they don’t check their comments or reply to them very often. Lol

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:43 am

Briarsmoke is the stain and Software by Sherwin Williams is the paint. Thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:44 am

Thank you! Stain is Briarsmoke and paint is Software by Sherwin Williams!

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:47 am

Briarsmoke Stain and Software by Sherwin Williams is paint 🙂

18. chispitacarreras on November 16, 2017 at 12:51 pm

• Tracy Goemans on November 21, 2017 at 8:44 am

Did you ever receive the color info?

• chispitacarreras on November 21, 2017 at 9:51 am

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:43 am

Briarsmoke is the stain and Software by Sherwin Williams is the paint. Thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:44 am

Thank you! Stain is Briarsmoke and paint is Software by Sherwin Williams!

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:47 am

Briarsmoke Stain and Software by Sherwin Williams is paint 🙂

19. Emily Hill on November 15, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Love this console table! I know you guys have said what the paint and stain is probably a million times but I can’t seem to find it in any of your videos

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:47 am

Thank you! Software by Sherwin Williams for paint and Briarsmoke for stain 😉

20. Emily Hill on November 15, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Love this console table! I know you guys have said what the paint color is probably a million times but I can’t seem to find it in any of your videos

• Shanty2Chic on November 21, 2017 at 10:47 am