DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

My oldest princess turned 16 this month and decided she needed a queen bed.  So, I got to designing and came up  with the cutest bed that I was able to build for under $100 of lumber!   This bed is so darn cute and perfect for kids or adults.  I love the clean lines and modern yet super rustic look.  Check out how we built this bed by watching the video below!

How cute did this thing turn out??

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Before we get started, be sure to download and print the FREE PLANS by clicking HERE!

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

The first step is building your legs. You will build two taller legs that will be a part of your headboard, and two shorter legs that will be a part of the footboard. These are 2×6 boards that we ripped to 5” with the table saw. If you choose to not rip your boards, you need to refigure your measurements as it will change the rest of this plan. We attached each board together using wood glue and clamped them together until the glue dried. Then, sand any rough or uneven edges.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

While the legs are drying, you can start building the rest. The side rails are also 2×6 boards that we ripped to 5”. Add 1.5” pocket holes to one side of the vertical board and 1.5” pocket holes on one side of the horizontal board that sits on top of it. Attach these boards together using wood glue and 2.5” pocket hole screws. Notice the alignment of the boards in the picture.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Now add the cleats to both sides. These are 2×2 boards that we attached to each side using wood glue and 3” Spax or wood screws. Notice the alignment in the bottom picture.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Now build the footboard. The top of this assembly is also a 2×6 board, but we ripped this one to 4.5” so it would line up flush with the legs. Add 1.5” pocket holes to both boards, and attach them using wood glue and 2.5” pocket hole screws.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Now attach these boards to the footboard legs we built in the first step. Attach them using 2.5” pocket hole screws through the pocket holes you made and into each leg. You want the top of the slat to sit flush with the top of the feet.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Attach the small trim piece to the top of the headboard panel first. The panel is 3/4” hardwood plywood with 3/4” pocket holes on the sides of the back of the panel. The trim piece is 1/4” thick x 3/4” wide and attach it using wood glue and brad nails.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Now attach the headboard panel to the legs using wood glue and 2” pocket hole screws. You want the headboard panel to line up 3/4” from the front of the legs. The top of the trim piece will be flush with the top of the legs.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Now attach the rails to the headboard using 2.5” pocket hole screws through the pocket holes on the rails and into each leg.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Attach the footboard to both legs using 2.5” pocket hole screws. Make sure the tops and sides are all flush.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Time for slats! We used 2×2 boards for this part and attached them using wood glue and 3” Spax or wood screws. We suggest not using glue to attach the slats and the runners to both the footboard and headboard so you are able to move your bed around from room to room and disassemble it easily.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Here it is all finished up!  I just love this bed so much!

1. Aynsley Smith on September 17, 2021 at 2:25 pm

I would like to know where to find those letters that are hung on the wall above the bed. I have searched and searched the internet for them. Any guidance and help is appreciated!!!

2. Cinema HD ios on June 20, 2021 at 1:26 am

This is a beautiful bed. I like minimalism in my room and this goes great with that.

3. BBOJ Painters & Decorators on June 2, 2021 at 5:06 am

These rustic styles are always popular and this is a fantastic example of someone who does their DIY properly – well done!

4. Gregory Mazzone on April 19, 2021 at 7:56 am

do you have plans for a King size bed in this style

5. Dave Height on December 31, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Just completed this project for our maser bedroom. We just purchased a king size mattress. We ended up using knotty pine to build ours.
    I changed a few things to the designing of our bed frame which is 76”x80”.

1. Used 6×6 for posts cut them down to 5×5. Also the back legs were 46” length and 20” for front legs.
    2. Used 2×8 for side rails and ripped the 2×6 top plate to fit the posts.
    3. Used laminated 1×6 knotty pine for headboard instead of plywood and placed it flush with the posts instead of recessing 3/4”.
    4. Used a 2×6 for rail for the headboard post.
    5. Used 1×4 spruce for the slats spaced at 2” spaces. I also used 2- 2×4 for supports and in the middle also uses a 6×6 post for centre support.

Overall I spent around $575 on materials and it took me about 25 hours to build. We didn’t stain it yet as unsure of colour so left it natural wood.

6. Nevin Darden on December 6, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Awesome instructions. I’m just a little confused how this is advertised as less than $100 though. The 2×6 boards alone are $70-$80 according to the amounts on the list. I’m just building a cart in Lowes website for an idea, I’m not even to the trim pieces, screws, and wood glue yet and it’s at nearly $160. I guess I would like to know where you guys got your lumber to claim <$100.

7. Tristan on October 20, 2020 at 6:54 pm

How do I find the measurements for the pilot hole locations? Any help is appreciated! Thanks for the awesome plans. Easy to follow and build.

8. Diana on October 16, 2020 at 6:08 am

Please What color is the stain

9. Danielle on August 18, 2020 at 8:22 pm

Hi, would you be able to provide the measurements if I do not rip the boards? I’m new to building and don’t have a table saw-yet. I have made one of your coffee table projects and it turned out great! Thanks.

10. Renier on June 25, 2020 at 12:56 pm

Great build but I do have one question do you have the plans in metric ?

11. apk on May 23, 2020 at 9:29 am

Thankyou

12. Adam Covello on April 21, 2020 at 8:18 am

What type of wood did you use. Is this all pine?

13. Kelly on January 5, 2020 at 3:30 pm

I cannot find the plans for the matching night stands.

14. Jessie on November 5, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Love this bed so much!!!! is there a way you can give me measurements to make the bed frame fit a cal king mattress?

15. Caitlin on September 17, 2019 at 1:53 pm

I have the same letters above the bed and am curious how you hung them? They don’t have a nail hole or anything to easily hang them by. Thanks

• Erin Christos on October 21, 2019 at 11:28 am

Where are these letters from?? I love them!

16. Dylan De Jesus on September 7, 2019 at 5:30 pm

Anyone know how heavy this is if they built it as a queen?

17. Mark on August 14, 2019 at 6:13 am

Couple of adjustments to make:
    1. The cut plans call for a 4″ ripped board for the top foot piece. This should be 4 1/2″.
    2. 3″ screws will go all the way through the 2×2’s for the cleats and the slats. Use 2 1/2″ screws instead.

• Alex on June 25, 2020 at 7:14 pm

I should have read the comments first. I found both of these things out the hard way. 🙁

18. Laura Ellis on July 30, 2019 at 11:48 am

WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR GLUE CONTAINER

• Sas on August 6, 2019 at 8:39 pm

I think it is a glue bot you can purchase at Amazon, WalMart or home improvement store

19. Daizi Zheng on June 29, 2019 at 3:21 pm

I love it! The shape, the color – everything. That “furry” throw is the perfect touch.

20. Bethany on June 14, 2019 at 7:16 pm

Can I have a list of all materials needed to make the queen size bed?

Interested in making this cool bed!

21. Brenda Harris on May 13, 2019 at 4:42 pm

Could you let me know where to purchase the glue applicator bottle you have

22. Ronnie on April 24, 2019 at 9:59 pm

Can you give measurements for a full size bed please

23. Rick T on March 19, 2019 at 3:22 am

This was my first furniture build and it went rather fast. I built it in a day, stained it the next and I really like it. The 2″ slats across it I had to cut at 62″ instead of 61″ it seemed like they were a bit short when placing them and I had the concern about them holding the weight too, but they do hold my hefty 200#’s and there is no box spring with this set-up. If someone wanted a box spring, I would recommend increasing the height of the headboard by the same amount as the box spring to keep it in proportion. I used 3/4″ Knotty Pine Plywood for the headboard, white wood for the lumber and Minwax Classic Grey for stain with 20 minute soak time (mix well and be generous with the stain as white wood tends to still come out with a lot of blonde in it), which gave me a nearly identical color.

As much as I love the rustic look, I need my modern gadgets. So, there is lots of potential to add in hidden gadgets. I am going to make a modification to the bed and will be putting a 2×6 across the top length of the head board to cap it off and am installing 2 recessed USB Electrical outlets and hidden wireless charger. Plugins for my laptop and usb to keep my phone charged regardless of what side I’m sleeping on. The outlets could be used for 2 small lamps on the headboard at each end. (makes for easier reading before sleeping when the light is behind you.)

24. Luke - The Handy Squad on March 1, 2019 at 3:59 am

Amazing blog! These rustic styles are in fashion at the moment and this is another amazing example of DIY done properly. I work with The Handy Squad decorating peoples houses for those looking to sell and there is a demand for a rustic feel to houses these days especially in the city. Keep it up girls! Luke

• Humberto Sanchez on September 15, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Hello would like to know how far apart from each other are the pilot holes

• Rob on October 31, 2019 at 8:00 pm

What kind of stain did you use for the bed? I love and gonna copy it ??‍♂️?

• Melissa on November 8, 2019 at 10:20 pm

Yes what stain!?!

• Karen on April 23, 2020 at 10:56 am

Can you link the wood glue bottle you used? I’ve never seen one like this before. Thanks.

• Andria on February 4, 2020 at 11:51 am

I’d love to know the stain color used! This is amazing as always ?

• fmwhatsapp apk on March 23, 2020 at 3:56 am

The way you’re putting up the content. It really amazes me! Diagram representation, photos and video tutorial to make sure we do it properly. Thanks guys.

25. Yvonne Bundy-George on February 23, 2019 at 7:09 pm

Is a box spring used on this bed?

• Shua on April 24, 2020 at 6:10 pm

What brand/ color paint are you using ?? Its so pretty.

26. Heather on February 21, 2019 at 6:35 am

What brand/color paint are the walls???

27. Carlyn on February 20, 2019 at 3:18 pm

Is this pictured without a box spring? Just trying to understand dept of the frame. Thanks!

• Bree on June 19, 2019 at 11:10 pm

No box spring. The slats act as a box spring.

28. Jo Curry on February 19, 2019 at 6:09 pm

What kind of clamps did you use? I can’t find the link for them.
    Thank you!!
    JO

• Susan Ciaburri on August 6, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Same here

• Joe on January 16, 2020 at 11:36 am

Parallel Clamps

29. JTorrens on February 14, 2019 at 6:22 am

Howdy, we’re planning on building this bed very soon! My wife and I are very excited to embark on our first woodworking challenge!
    I do have a question: the cut list says to rip one of the 2x6x8 to 4″ but the instructions say 4.5″. Which one is it!?!? Please help!!
    Thank you so much for this amazing design.

• Michael Wenman on August 26, 2019 at 8:50 pm

Rip the cap rail for the foorboard to 4.5″. The mention of 4″is incorrect.

• Renee on March 22, 2020 at 12:27 pm

We found that out after we ripped all the boards to the cut list, LOL

30. Alex on February 8, 2019 at 10:35 am

If I remove the slats would this work with an adjustable base in the middle?

• Colleen on September 13, 2021 at 9:59 am

How easy would this be to convert for a king size?

• Nelly on September 20, 2021 at 10:33 am

I want to know as well, please gives us measurements for king size

• Peter Williams on November 16, 2021 at 6:00 pm

I would like to have king size measurements as well! Please!

• Robert on January 10, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Increase headboard and footboard width by 22″. Increase side rails by 5 inches. Added a 2×4 support down the center with a center leg for extra support since it’s a much longer span.

Full size mattress is 54×75.
          King size mattress is 76×80.

• Robert on January 10, 2022 at 11:59 am

An adjustable base is self supporting. You would just see the metal support legs. You would also not need the support ledge for the slats.

31. Sam Leigh on February 2, 2019 at 5:05 pm

I’m 99% sure they used Valspar Briarsmoke for the stain color. It’s a very popular choice of theirs.

• Luc Therrien on October 24, 2020 at 6:11 pm

DOES this plan allow for the installation of metal brackets to join railings to headboards instead of using Kref screws? I would like to be able to disassemble and move the bed around as needed.

32. Cass on February 1, 2019 at 12:17 am

Can you please share details on the stain used?

• Samantha Leigh on February 2, 2019 at 5:07 pm

33. Lynsey on January 31, 2019 at 9:24 pm

What stain was used for this bed?

34. Cynthia on January 30, 2019 at 11:03 am

How much weight can slats like this hold? Is it different when stretched across a king? Would we need to put in center support(s) as asked below? My current king situation has a beam in the center and you can feel it up in the mattress. I hate it. I’m looking for a better solution.
    Thanks!

• Bree McMahon on June 8, 2019 at 8:27 am

I made one of their king size beds and I ended up putting a 2×4 beneath each slat as a support. Look at the bed with the diamond headboard as a reference. It says use 2×2 but I found that it wasn’t sturdy enough so I replaced the 2×2 with 2×4’s. I hope that helps!!

• Daviana on July 25, 2019 at 12:46 pm

Can you give me the measurements for your build?? I want to build this bed for a king mattress but I have no clue on how to measure everything!

35. Jen Celes Pablo Salas on January 28, 2019 at 7:19 pm

What type of clamps did you use and where did you purchase them?

36. Bryant Morin on January 27, 2019 at 11:27 pm

Would you put a center support for a king sized bed? If so, how would you recommend doing it?

• Yannick on May 4, 2019 at 3:49 pm

I just completed the build of a king using this plan. I installed a 2×3 along the center acting as a beam using metal brackets at the extremities (brackets used for deck construction ). One bracket screwed to the footboard and one to the headboard. It works good.

• Diane on November 26, 2019 at 10:46 am

I want to build this design in a king. Instead of the 61″ width, what should it be for a king?

• Diane on November 26, 2019 at 10:50 am

Saw the measurements for king below after I posted. 🙂

37. Bryant on January 27, 2019 at 11:25 pm

Would you put a center support for a king sized version?

38. Shalysa on January 24, 2019 at 10:53 pm

What stain did you use?

39. Shane on January 24, 2019 at 10:02 pm

Twin size plans please. Also stain color.
    Thanks..

• CC on January 27, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Standard measurement for a Twin (not XL Twin, but Twin) is 39”x 75”.

Your side rail pieces will be cut at 75” instead of 80”, like it shows on their plan. If you have an XL Twin (standard measurements at 39”x80”) you don’t have to change the side measurements.

Headboard, footboard, and trim piece for top of the headboard would be measured at 39.5” for a Twin and Twin XL. (their’s is 60.5”, standard measurement is 60”…they went up a .5”).

Your slats will be 40”. (They went up an inch in their’s, too.)

40. Tiffany on January 24, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Love this!! King sized measurements pretty please??

• CC on January 27, 2019 at 4:51 pm

The bed they completed is a Queen (standard measurement for a queen is 60”x80”). Their headboard and footboard panels are measured at 60.5” (so, a 1/2” bigger). The slats for the mattress are measured at 61”, so a full inch from the measurement of the Queen.

The standard measurement for a King is 76”x80”. So, your headboard AND footboard pieces will be measured at 76.5”, and the slats will be 77”.

So, when you look at their cuts list on their plans, any piece you see measured at 60.5”, you will do at 76.5”, and where you see 61” on the plans, you will make 77”.

The sides of the bed and the legs don’t need any modifications, as the length is the same for a Twin XL, Queen and King. They touch on this a little bit in the video.

• Alina Mardesich on September 18, 2020 at 12:30 pm

I have a California King which measures 84 x 72. Any chance I can get the above translation fro a Cal King? Thank you!

• CC on January 27, 2019 at 4:54 pm

See comments below for information regarding a King size bed and the measurements. ?

• Rachel DeSanto on January 4, 2021 at 6:42 pm

Could I get full size measurements??

41. Sabrina Dalessio on January 23, 2019 at 9:07 pm

What stain did you use for this bed?

42. Whitney on January 23, 2019 at 8:15 pm

I love this so much! Could you give measurements for a full?

• CC on January 27, 2019 at 5:08 pm

The standard measurement for a Full is 54”x 75”. So, your headboard AND footboard pieces will be measured at 54.5”, and the slats will be 55”.

So, when you look at their cuts list on their plans, any piece you see measured at 60.5”, you will do at 54.5”, and where you see 61” on the plans, you will make 55”.

Your side boards will be 75” instead of their 80”.

43. Samantha Ruiz on January 23, 2019 at 6:19 pm

Beautiful bed!! Can you provide measurements to convert this to a king?

• CC on January 27, 2019 at 4:51 pm

The bed they completed is a Queen (standard measurement for a queen is 60”x80”). Their headboard and footboard panels are measured at 60.5” (so, a 1/2” bigger than the standard measurement.). The slats for the mattress are measured at 61”, so a full inch from the measurement of the Queen.