DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

My oldest princess turned 16 this month and decided she needed a queen bed.  So, I got to designing and came up  with the cutest bed that I was able to build for under $100 of lumber!   This bed is so darn cute and perfect for kids or adults.  I love the clean lines and modern yet super rustic look.  Check out how we built this bed by watching the video below!

How cute did this thing turn out??

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Before we get started, be sure to download and print the FREE PLANS by clicking HERE!

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

The first step is building your legs. You will build two taller legs that will be a part of your headboard, and two shorter legs that will be a part of the footboard. These are 2×6 boards that we ripped to 5” with the table saw. If you choose to not rip your boards, you need to refigure your measurements as it will change the rest of this plan. We attached each board together using wood glue and clamped them together until the glue dried. Then, sand any rough or uneven edges.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

While the legs are drying, you can start building the rest. The side rails are also 2×6 boards that we ripped to 5”. Add 1.5” pocket holes to one side of the vertical board and 1.5” pocket holes on one side of the horizontal board that sits on top of it. Attach these boards together using wood glue and 2.5” pocket hole screws. Notice the alignment of the boards in the picture.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Now add the cleats to both sides. These are 2×2 boards that we attached to each side using wood glue and 3” Spax or wood screws. Notice the alignment in the bottom picture.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Now build the footboard. The top of this assembly is also a 2×6 board, but we ripped this one to 4.5” so it would line up flush with the legs. Add 1.5” pocket holes to both boards, and attach them using wood glue and 2.5” pocket hole screws.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Now attach these boards to the footboard legs we built in the first step. Attach them using 2.5” pocket hole screws through the pocket holes you made and into each leg. You want the top of the slat to sit flush with the top of the feet.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Attach the small trim piece to the top of the headboard panel first. The panel is 3/4” hardwood plywood with 3/4” pocket holes on the sides of the back of the panel. The trim piece is 1/4” thick x 3/4” wide and attach it using wood glue and brad nails.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Now attach the headboard panel to the legs using wood glue and 2” pocket hole screws. You want the headboard panel to line up 3/4” from the front of the legs. The top of the trim piece will be flush with the top of the legs.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Now attach the rails to the headboard using 2.5” pocket hole screws through the pocket holes on the rails and into each leg.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Attach the footboard to both legs using 2.5” pocket hole screws. Make sure the tops and sides are all flush.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Time for slats! We used 2×2 boards for this part and attached them using wood glue and 3” Spax or wood screws. We suggest not using glue to attach the slats and the runners to both the footboard and headboard so you are able to move your bed around from room to room and disassemble it easily.

DIY Rustic Modern Queen Bed

Here it is all finished up!  I just love this bed so much!

1. Dave Height on December 31, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Just completed this project for our maser bedroom. We just purchased a king size mattress. We ended up using knotty pine to build ours.
    I changed a few things to the designing of our bed frame which is 76”x80”.

1. Used 6×6 for posts cut them down to 5×5. Also the back legs were 46” length and 20” for front legs.
    2. Used 2×8 for side rails and ripped the 2×6 top plate to fit the posts.
    3. Used laminated 1×6 knotty pine for headboard instead of plywood and placed it flush with the posts instead of recessing 3/4”.
    4. Used a 2×6 for rail for the headboard post.
    5. Used 1×4 spruce for the slats spaced at 2” spaces. I also used 2- 2×4 for supports and in the middle also uses a 6×6 post for centre support.

Overall I spent around $575 on materials and it took me about 25 hours to build. We didn’t stain it yet as unsure of colour so left it natural wood.

2. Nevin Darden on December 6, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Awesome instructions. I’m just a little confused how this is advertised as less than $100 though. The 2×6 boards alone are $70-$80 according to the amounts on the list. I’m just building a cart in Lowes website for an idea, I’m not even to the trim pieces, screws, and wood glue yet and it’s at nearly $160. I guess I would like to know where you guys got your lumber to claim <$100.

3. Tristan on October 20, 2020 at 6:54 pm

How do I find the measurements for the pilot hole locations? Any help is appreciated! Thanks for the awesome plans. Easy to follow and build.

4. Diana on October 16, 2020 at 6:08 am

Please What color is the stain

5. Danielle on August 18, 2020 at 8:22 pm

Hi, would you be able to provide the measurements if I do not rip the boards? I’m new to building and don’t have a table saw-yet. I have made one of your coffee table projects and it turned out great! Thanks.

6. Renier on June 25, 2020 at 12:56 pm

Great build but I do have one question do you have the plans in metric ?

7. apk on May 23, 2020 at 9:29 am

Thankyou

8. Adam Covello on April 21, 2020 at 8:18 am

What type of wood did you use. Is this all pine?

9. Kelly on January 5, 2020 at 3:30 pm

I cannot find the plans for the matching night stands.

10. Jessie on November 5, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Love this bed so much!!!! is there a way you can give me measurements to make the bed frame fit a cal king mattress?

11. Caitlin on September 17, 2019 at 1:53 pm

I have the same letters above the bed and am curious how you hung them? They don’t have a nail hole or anything to easily hang them by. Thanks

• Erin Christos on October 21, 2019 at 11:28 am

Where are these letters from?? I love them!

12. Dylan De Jesus on September 7, 2019 at 5:30 pm

Anyone know how heavy this is if they built it as a queen?

13. Mark on August 14, 2019 at 6:13 am

Couple of adjustments to make:
    1. The cut plans call for a 4″ ripped board for the top foot piece. This should be 4 1/2″.
    2. 3″ screws will go all the way through the 2×2’s for the cleats and the slats. Use 2 1/2″ screws instead.

• Alex on June 25, 2020 at 7:14 pm

I should have read the comments first. I found both of these things out the hard way. 🙁

14. Laura Ellis on July 30, 2019 at 11:48 am

WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR GLUE CONTAINER

• Sas on August 6, 2019 at 8:39 pm

I think it is a glue bot you can purchase at Amazon, WalMart or home improvement store

15. Daizi Zheng on June 29, 2019 at 3:21 pm

I love it! The shape, the color – everything. That “furry” throw is the perfect touch.

16. Bethany on June 14, 2019 at 7:16 pm

Can I have a list of all materials needed to make the queen size bed?

Interested in making this cool bed!

17. Brenda Harris on May 13, 2019 at 4:42 pm

Could you let me know where to purchase the glue applicator bottle you have

18. Ronnie on April 24, 2019 at 9:59 pm

Can you give measurements for a full size bed please

19. Rick T on March 19, 2019 at 3:22 am

This was my first furniture build and it went rather fast. I built it in a day, stained it the next and I really like it. The 2″ slats across it I had to cut at 62″ instead of 61″ it seemed like they were a bit short when placing them and I had the concern about them holding the weight too, but they do hold my hefty 200#’s and there is no box spring with this set-up. If someone wanted a box spring, I would recommend increasing the height of the headboard by the same amount as the box spring to keep it in proportion. I used 3/4″ Knotty Pine Plywood for the headboard, white wood for the lumber and Minwax Classic Grey for stain with 20 minute soak time (mix well and be generous with the stain as white wood tends to still come out with a lot of blonde in it), which gave me a nearly identical color.

As much as I love the rustic look, I need my modern gadgets. So, there is lots of potential to add in hidden gadgets. I am going to make a modification to the bed and will be putting a 2×6 across the top length of the head board to cap it off and am installing 2 recessed USB Electrical outlets and hidden wireless charger. Plugins for my laptop and usb to keep my phone charged regardless of what side I’m sleeping on. The outlets could be used for 2 small lamps on the headboard at each end. (makes for easier reading before sleeping when the light is behind you.)