About Us

Meet sisters Ashley & Whitney, two power tool wielding DIY queens, on a mission to create beautiful and affordable furniture, turning houses into homes. Self-described coffee enthusiasts and treasure-weavers, the two sisters transformed a hobby into a dream career. The self-taught carpenters post their journey online to inspire other people to “pick up that scary tool and go!” Hosts of HGTV’s Open Concept, and designers of the Shanty2Chic Home Collection exclusively at At Home Stores nationwide.

A&W

Shanty 2 Chic Headshot 2015

Whitney

Hey guys~ Whitney here! A little background about me and what started this whole process... I am a mommy to 5 wonderful and crazy kids and wife to Jenson.   I have attempted (not always achieved) almost any craft. I have found along the way that I love, love the process of building a piece of furniture from raw wood and my power tool stash, of course.
I love Jesus, my family, my tools and coffee.  We built our house in 2009 and I have spent the last few years making it a home.  I love to teach others and give advice on all things DIY and I love learning as well.  I'm lucky to be able to share this experience with my sister Ashley!

Whitney Headshot

Whitney Family Photo

Ashley

Hey guys! I'm Ashley. I'm married to my hubby, John and we have 3 kids, Kade, Tris and Tenley. We built our home in 2013 and moved into it with no furniture. Since then, I have been busy building custom furniture to fill our new home. In our new home, so far, I have built 4 beds, 3 tables, 3 coffee tables, 2 console tables, a buffet, a media storage dresser, a mantel, 3 desks, 4 nightstands and lots of shelves, wall treatments and accent pieces. I am a home body and my second home is my workshop. I love power tools, cute shoes and purses and I love designing furniture and watching it come to life in my shop. My passion is teaching and encouraging people to DIY and I am so blessed to work along side my sis, Whit!

ash-headshot
fam-blog

1. Lynn Parker on February 18, 2018 at 5:07 pm

your mention craft board in a number of projects. What is it?

2. Roger on February 7, 2018 at 5:34 pm

My wife and I just purchased your farmhouse dining table from At Home and were trying to find any type of care instructions. We have two small children that have already made fingerprints with their greasy little fingers. We’ve tried mild soap and water but that hasn’t helped. It wouldn’t be helpful to know if there’s anything we can do and what can be done to prevent it other a place may or table cloth.

• Natalie Farwell on February 11, 2018 at 9:09 am

I have the same question as Roger. Curious about care for the farmhouse dining table. We also have a small child. Thanks!

3. Megan on February 7, 2018 at 12:51 pm

loving all your projects and styles. Could you make a long horizontal bookcase. We have so many books and I want my kids to be able to reach them all.

4. Debbi on February 1, 2018 at 8:39 am

Hello!! I love your site and all the amazing things.I really love the Platform bed and nightstands.I was hoping maybe you could help customize it a little.I would like to know how to make it king sized!! I would like it taller and also made to add my box spring as well.I also want to make the nightstands the barn door type that I could actually a few nightstands to bed.Thank you so much.Debbi

5. Byrdm on January 31, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Looking for the set of plans that was for a wood shop miter saw work table but I can not find the plans on the website. Can you help??

6. Ashish on January 30, 2018 at 8:22 am

Hi,
    Hope you are doing great!

I’m contacting you on behalf of Daily Engage Media (www.dailyengagemedia.com), an ad-network based in NJ, USA.

I wanted to drop you a quick line to explore different advertising opportunities with your website.

We are currently monetizing premium as well as remnant traffic at different rates and are working with more than 800 publishers worldwide.

Why Choose Us?
    • Family-friendly ads with easy setup
    • Personal account manager and on-call support
    • High CPM rates with early payment according to Publishers convenience (PayPal, Direct bank transfer etc.)
    • Flexible Net Payment Terms

You could drop me an email to learn more about how we can help you earn more revenues with your website.
    Thank You!

7. jan cochran on January 29, 2018 at 10:52 am

hi I’m in love with the harvest table that has round legs…but I cant find the free download instructions…can you please tell me how to find it/ thanks I love you girls and your diy skills

8. John lutz on January 27, 2018 at 6:58 pm

HI CAN I ORDER THIS CRIB PRE MADE. AND IN DIFFERENT WOOD CAN I PUT IT TOGETHER IF IT WAS ALL PRE CUT..I WAS JUST WONDERING IF IT ALREADY COME READY TO ASSEMBLE, I CAN STAIN AND VARNISH FINISH. IF NOT I WILL WORK FROM YOUR PLANS.. THANKS JOHN

9. Kirsten Arendes on January 26, 2018 at 2:51 pm

I’m so glad I found your site! I have just started getting into furniture building and have several projects in mind for our home. One is for a large kitchen table. I need some advice because I get overwhelmed when trying to decide what kind of wood to use. What do you recommend for a kitchen table? The design is going to be kind of a modern farmhouse look. Top with be 10 inch pieces and legs will be 4x4s.

10. Mercedes on January 24, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Hello ladies!!
    I am such a big fan of your videos amd always look forward to your next project. I was wondering if you ever consider building furniture for the pets of the house? For example I have seen dog crate covers built to look like a side table that fits over wire crates. That would be very ecxiting to see!
    Best wishes!

11. Lena on January 24, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Hello girls,
    I have a quick question about the farmhouse bench that you made. I am wondering if that would be the best idea for kitchen island seating, just raising the height to 24″ (and would that be a matter of just getting longer boards?), or is there a better idea that you would have for me?
    Thanks!

12. Kellee Thurman on January 23, 2018 at 1:24 pm

I just bought my first home. For some of the work I need to do to complete little projects, such as securing a pre-existing chandelier with screws, I’m at a loss on what screws to buy. Can you help? Is there a general screw to have on hand for small projects such as this? Thanks for addressing this very random question.

P.S. I love your videos. You are both inspirational. Thank you for sharing your lives and knowledge.

13. Katie on January 21, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Hello, I am obsessed with all of your styles! So cute. I’m very interested in buying your farmhouse side tables (I need two) only problem being is that everywhere I’ve been that carry them they are sold out.

14. Ashley Brooks on January 18, 2018 at 10:22 am

Have you ever made a ‘faux’ fireplace? I’ve seen images, but have not watched a video. I love both of your ideas and style and would love to see a how-to video.

15. Pat Graham on January 17, 2018 at 12:05 pm

I have a question with regard to where I can find information on the pantry. I have seen the canned goods video and the one on the spice rack, but am looking for the rest of the instructions for the pantry. You stated you would soon make those available, and it looks as if that was some time ago.

Can you direct me via a link, because I cannot seem to locate it on my own.

Thank you.

16. Carol on January 16, 2018 at 11:22 pm

I have learned a lot from watching all of your tutorials! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge, keeping it fun, and easy to follow. I have a couple ryobi power tools and have loved using cordless tools. Have you ever had any problems with your brad nailer? I have had to send mine in twice in two years and its not like I use it every day.
    Do you use a certain brand of brads? I am waiting to hear back from the ryobi techs as my local HD had to again ship it back to them. I could not see any evidence of a jammed nail. Just curious..its been frustrating.

17. Jul Muffley on January 10, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Patiently waiting for the DIY video for Amanda’s “faux hanging bench”. Is it coming soon??
    Also, made my first DIY project back in the fall – your console table (on castors, only 3 tools). Love it. Whole family was impressed. Lol

18. CAROL SHORES on January 8, 2018 at 7:48 am

just made the bed on your site looks great now to finish it! I have stained it with a coastal gray water based stain do I need to but a protective coat on it and if so what should i use? Love your stuff I use the plans for the barn door nightstand and put them together to make a tv console!!

19. branislav on January 6, 2018 at 8:57 am

hi is possible buy from you stain what you use because i am from abroad and i cant find supplier who sent stain abroad.thanks for answer

20. Crazy Girl Blonde on January 4, 2018 at 1:54 pm

HI! I am in the middle of building the $60 2×4 outdoor table. I need help with the angle cuts. I can’t find where it tells me the angle of the cut. PLEASE hELP!