About Us

Meet sisters Ashley & Whitney, two power tool wielding DIY queens, on a mission to create beautiful and affordable furniture, turning houses into homes. Self-described coffee enthusiasts and treasure-weavers, the two sisters transformed a hobby into a dream career. The self-taught carpenters post their journey online to inspire other people to “pick up that scary tool and go!” Hosts of HGTV’s Open Concept, and designers of the Shanty2Chic Home Collection exclusively at At Home Stores nationwide.

A&W

Shanty 2 Chic Headshot 2015

Whitney

Hey guys~ Whitney here! A little background about me and what started this whole process... I am a mommy to 5 wonderful and crazy kids and wife to Jenson.   I have attempted (not always achieved) almost any craft. I have found along the way that I love, love the process of building a piece of furniture from raw wood and my power tool stash, of course.
I love Jesus, my family, my tools and coffee.  We built our house in 2009 and I have spent the last few years making it a home.  I love to teach others and give advice on all things DIY and I love learning as well.  I'm lucky to be able to share this experience with my sister Ashley!

Whitney Headshot

Whitney Family Photo

Ashley

Hey guys! I'm Ashley. I'm married to my hubby, John and we have 3 kids, Kade, Tris and Tenley. We built our home in 2013 and moved into it with no furniture. Since then, I have been busy building custom furniture to fill our new home. In our new home, so far, I have built 4 beds, 3 tables, 3 coffee tables, 2 console tables, a buffet, a media storage dresser, a mantel, 3 desks, 4 nightstands and lots of shelves, wall treatments and accent pieces. I am a home body and my second home is my workshop. I love power tools, cute shoes and purses and I love designing furniture and watching it come to life in my shop. My passion is teaching and encouraging people to DIY and I am so blessed to work along side my sis, Whit!

ash-headshot
fam-blog

1. Lloyd on April 10, 2018 at 5:00 am

Love the triple pedestal farm table!
    Question:
    Need to build eight tables at 12 feet with end seating available. How would you reconfigure the plans for the extra length and the end overhang?

2. Shelly on April 9, 2018 at 8:08 am

Hello! My husband is planning to build your crib plans for our little one arriving this August. I’m worried about the fumes and toxins in stains, paints, sealers etc. What is the safest way to stain and seal the crib for it to be safe for the baby? My husband often stains the wood furniture he makes and I can smell the stain in our house for weeks and weeks! Even maybe a month or so afterwards when I walk into the specific room where it’s sitting. Thanks!

3. Emily on April 9, 2018 at 7:51 am

Hi Guys,
    My husband and I have started building some of your projects and I still feel like we are getting a rough finish on them. What sanding steps do you take? Do you sand when you’re done only, before the boards are put together? Grits?
    Thank you!

4. janet pressley on April 7, 2018 at 11:04 am

how do I find the can storage bins as shown on Pintest

5. Luanne on April 4, 2018 at 7:53 am

I’ve made to projects using your plans, I’m finding in both of my projects some of the wood boards are shifting. I’m using the same amount of glue and screws and yet the wood is coming apart. Any recommendations on how to prevent this from happening again?

6. Teresa on April 3, 2018 at 9:06 am

My husband and I are looking at building a baby bed real soon of one of your plans. I just have a question about if the baby happens to chew on the sides as it gets older is the paint etc safe? What do you recommend using as a finishing coat over the paints to make sure the baby is protected?

7. John oney on March 30, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Where can I find 3/4×1/2 trim for the barn door nite stand

8. Catie on March 29, 2018 at 12:08 pm

Love your work! What do you do/use to prevent your wood from shrinking? Hubby built a farmhouse table, but due to the dryness of our house, the boards shrunk and have gaps between them. IS There a way to fix this type of issue?

9. maria hennings on March 27, 2018 at 8:59 am

I would like to buy the Cross Door media console that was on ATHome.com but is NO longer there.
    UPC:718386174924

Is there any way you can help?

10. Jacque Swenson on March 25, 2018 at 8:57 am

just made your DIAGONAL BASE FARMHOUSE CONSOLE TABLE and LOVE IT!!!!
    Can you please share what brand of polyurethane you use on your furniture. I heard from your video its a 3 coat in 1 and non yellowing:) Thank you so much!!

11. Jennifer Washington on March 24, 2018 at 12:04 am

Hi! What is the smallest piece of wood you can make a clear out of for a shelf? Can you use a 1×2? Or would that be too thin?

12. Brian on March 17, 2018 at 11:46 am

Why do you recommend a brad nailer vs finish nailer for your projects? Thanks! You girls rock!

13. Maggie on March 17, 2018 at 9:15 am

My husband just made the farmhouse coffee table and I love it! I was looking around on line and some people said stickering to dry out the wood is necessary to prevent the wood from warping… Our plans are to make the Restoration Hardware dining table next and I’m a little worried about the longevity of the tables now. What do you think?

14. Teresa on March 13, 2018 at 4:21 am

Can you tell me the color of the walls and trim in Ashleys bedroom?

15. Rhoda Marsh on March 11, 2018 at 12:03 pm

Do you have any 5×7 banner templates?

16. Sarah on March 7, 2018 at 12:02 pm

I was Wondering if you could leave a step by step list of how you ordered the 4 cow prints on staples. I clixked On the link in the article but from there I cant Figure out what to do and I was Wanting to make these this weekend.

17. mike on March 5, 2018 at 11:05 am

the name of the stain i think was like smoke wood or something like that, help me find it again on your web page you put it on the farm house bench and the table you built is what i remember i am building the bench right now thanks mike

18. Louisa on March 1, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Hi, I was hoping to buy a random orbital sander, and I saw you guys have one in the shop in the workshop tour. I was wondering which one you guys recommend and why. Thanks so much!!

19. Esther Gordon on February 26, 2018 at 11:04 am

Where do you buy your storage containers for you garage? I am looking for a good price but also something that will last. I noticed your clear containers with the blue lids. what price and brand are they? where can I buy them?

20. Robert H Robinson on February 23, 2018 at 11:26 pm

I found your site last week and I am hooked! I would like to see your version of faux distressed wooden beams for a mantel or ceiling. Also, a coffered ceiling tutorial would be great to see!

• Robert H Robinson on February 23, 2018 at 11:27 pm