About Us

Meet sisters Ashley & Whitney, two power tool wielding DIY queens, on a mission to create beautiful and affordable furniture, turning houses into homes. Self-described coffee enthusiasts and treasure-weavers, the two sisters transformed a hobby into a dream career. The self-taught carpenters post their journey online to inspire other people to “pick up that scary tool and go!” Hosts of HGTV’s Open Concept, and designers of the Shanty2Chic Home Collection exclusively at At Home Stores nationwide.

A&W

Shanty 2 Chic Headshot 2015

Whitney

Hey guys~ Whitney here! A little background about me and what started this whole process... I am a mommy to 5 wonderful and crazy kids and wife to Jenson.   I have attempted (not always achieved) almost any craft. I have found along the way that I love, love the process of building a piece of furniture from raw wood and my power tool stash, of course.
I love Jesus, my family, my tools and coffee.  We built our house in 2009 and I have spent the last few years making it a home.  I love to teach others and give advice on all things DIY and I love learning as well.  I'm lucky to be able to share this experience with my sister Ashley!
Whitney Headshot
 Whitney Family Photo

Ashley

Hey guys! I'm Ashley. I have 3 kids, Kade, Tris and Tenley. I built our home in 2013 and moved into it with no furniture. Since then, I have been busy building custom furniture to fill our new home. In our new home, so far, I have built 4 beds, 3 tables, 3 coffee tables, 2 console tables, a buffet, a media storage dresser, a mantel, 3 desks, 4 nightstands and lots of shelves, wall treatments and accent pieces. I am a home body and my second home is my workshop. I love power tools, cute shoes and purses and I love designing furniture and watching it come to life in my shop. My passion is teaching and encouraging people to DIY and I am so blessed to work along side my sis, Whit!

ash-headshot

1. Marilyn Diederichsen on June 2, 2018 at 8:50 am

Great tutorial on how to paint a room.
    Have you ever painted over wall paper?
    Do you have a tutorial on what products to use?

2. Emily Bowles on May 30, 2018 at 8:42 am

Hi Ladies! Have you though about building a custom closet organizer? I would love to see you make one! You could is my closet to expirement ?

3. Elizabeth Vance on May 24, 2018 at 8:46 am

Hi ladies! Any chance you are looking for a new project to tackle? I would love to get plans for a shaker style drying rack similar to Ballard Designs Beadboard Drying Rack
    (Item # MI442).

4. Lauara. on May 17, 2018 at 11:51 am

I just learned about your YouTube channel and website. Wow you make it look so easy and you build the types of things that I would love to build myself. I am intimated to even start though. I keep looking for advice from friends and family won’t show me. Then I found you channel while looking for diy bedside tables. Wow. Do u think you could have a show about baics of cuts, etc? I can’t wait to start decluttering my home. My five kids, and 3 adults and 3 animals make such a mess. You are so inspiring.!

5. Jackie Remis on May 13, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Hi,
    I so enjoy your videos. You guys are awesome. I really want to build our Master Closet hanging and shelves. Can you do a video

Thanks Jackie

6. Teresa Hamilton on May 13, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Hey, ladies! First, let me say that I LOVE watching the two of you. Keeps laughing and learning. I had a day of binge-watching your videos on youtube today and I noticed something that has always been there but I guess I never paid close enough attention to see it. Anyhow, the rolling storage shelf that holds all of your wood is a great piece. I am in the process of transforming my garage into a workshop and rather than have things attached to the walls this is a great solution and it’s pretty nifty as well. Can you give us the plans for this as well? If they are already available please direct me to where. I have not seen them in your: free plans” area.
    Keep up the great work. Empowering women to not be afraid to use power tools. I’m lovin’ it!
    Teresa

7. Kinsey Cornick on May 10, 2018 at 10:17 am

First off, I really appreciate how detailed your plans are, it makes a big difference compared to other DIY plans! I do have a question about your modern farmhouse dining table. With doing pocket joints for the table top do you ever find that the table top crown or bows as a result of doing the pocket joints with the kreg joint? Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you!

8. Jennifer on May 8, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Love following your diy stuff! We are looking into getting table saw to try out some of your plans. What power tools do you use or what table saw would you recommend? Thank you!

9. Jackie Remis on May 2, 2018 at 6:39 pm

Hi,
    thank you for sharing your videos and instructions for your projects. We have tried several of them with success. Question would the media shelves you built for your sliding barn doors media cabinet work for a closet.
    Please do some cool project ideas. I want to do my own closet in our new house.
    Thanks Jackie

10. Katie on April 29, 2018 at 10:31 pm

You gals are awesome!!! I’m super inspired and would love to start learning how to build my own things 😉 We recently moved our adopted grandpa into our house (He was a bus driver at my school that I got to know while on ‘yard duty’. He lost his wife of 57 years suddenly to a heart attack, and did not have family around. We asked him to be part of our lives so he would not be lonely. We have five kiddos (2 sets of twins with a little guy inbetween) so he’s now never lonely. Fast forward 7 years and he now lives with us. 🙂 We are building an addition off our house for him. Anyhow, I’d love to surprise with a few handmade pieces. He’d more than love that!! I am just started out and never thought it was really possible but I’m inspired to learn. I would love to build the farmhouse bathroom storage cabinet. It may be an epic fail, but I’m going to give it a shot.

Probably a dumb question…but did you use purebond wood and cut it down to size…or did you buy pine wood of the exact measurements?…

I’m also looking out replacing our entry door and exterior doors. Can you tell me the name and brand of the doors in your house that I see in the vidoes? Looks like the jeld-wen sante fe door I’m looking to possibly get.

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!
    Katie

11. Mark Malik on April 27, 2018 at 7:40 am

Good stuff ladies! Thanks for the tutorials very helpful.

12. Jessica on April 23, 2018 at 4:11 am

Hey! I absolutely love what you guys have created! The plans are easy for anyone to follow. Have you ever built an enclosed laundry storage hamper? I would love to see that.

13. Nicole on April 20, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Can we pin a few of your projects to our page?

14. Sheila Widergren on April 18, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Hello, we do a lot of rustic tables and love the white chalk paint, HOWEVER we have had a huge problem with polyurethane turning projects yellow. Do you use one that does not yellow white chalk paint? We would love to know the answer to this so we can keep making white projects. Thanks so much!
    Sheila

15. Sue Seabrease on April 15, 2018 at 10:01 am

I love the farm house table and the coffee table.Where can I find the hardware you used on the coffee table.It was black and each end was decorative you bent it in the middle.I can not find anything like that.I live in Maryland.I went to Hobby Lobby and hardwareware stores here.

16. Danny on April 15, 2018 at 2:02 am

What application do you use to design your projects? I am trying to find an application/tool/calculator that I can plug my cuts of wood into an it tell me how to optimize my cuts

• Tammy on November 7, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Hey Danny have you gotten an answer? I have seen others ask too but I don’t see a reply. If you find out, please let me know. Thanks Danny.

17. Mark Holland on April 14, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Hello,
    I’m looking for plans to build a Toscana style dining table. Would you know where I can find plans for that?

Thanks
    Mark

18. Wendy Kal on April 12, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Sorry about the typo below–Im looking to build a platform bed, not *end.

19. Wendy Kal on April 12, 2018 at 4:13 pm

I live in Hawaii and I am not able to find untreated 2×6 and 4×4 lumber, with the exception of redwood. I’d like to make a version of one of your platform ends, but do not want redwood. The stain I like does not look well on redwood. I can easily find “borate” treated wood, would this be ok to use? Would it require me to use a specific sealer or possibly paint? Please advise. I love your site and have made a handful of projects, just concerned about spending so much time (sleeping) on treated wood.
    Aloha

20. Mary Peters on April 11, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Just wanted to say that I only recently found the ‘Shanty’ sisters online, and I am absolutely HOOKED! I live in Canada, and have been slowly collecting some power tools over the last year. This past week I built some floating shelves, a frame (for a client, I’m a photographer), and also ‘Brooks’ bed’ for my niece and it ALL turned out AMAZING! I will post pictures soon.
    Thanks for all your inspiration! I LOVE EVERYTHING YOU DO!