About Us

Meet sisters Ashley & Whitney, two power tool wielding DIY queens, on a mission to create beautiful and affordable furniture, turning houses into homes. Self-described coffee enthusiasts and treasure-weavers, the two sisters transformed a hobby into a dream career. The self-taught carpenters post their journey online to inspire other people to “pick up that scary tool and go!” Hosts of HGTV’s Open Concept, and designers of the Shanty2Chic Home Collection exclusively at At Home Stores nationwide.

A&W

Shanty 2 Chic Headshot 2015

Whitney

Hey guys~ Whitney here! A little background about me and what started this whole process... I am a mommy to 5 wonderful and crazy kids and wife to Jenson.   I have attempted (not always achieved) almost any craft. I have found along the way that I love, love the process of building a piece of furniture from raw wood and my power tool stash, of course.
I love Jesus, my family, my tools and coffee.  We built our house in 2009 and I have spent the last few years making it a home.  I love to teach others and give advice on all things DIY and I love learning as well.  I'm lucky to be able to share this experience with my sister Ashley!

Whitney Headshot

Whitney Family Photo

Ashley

Hey guys! I'm Ashley. I'm married to my hubby, John and we have 3 kids, Kade, Tris and Tenley. We built our home in 2013 and moved into it with no furniture. Since then, I have been busy building custom furniture to fill our new home. In our new home, so far, I have built 4 beds, 3 tables, 3 coffee tables, 2 console tables, a buffet, a media storage dresser, a mantel, 3 desks, 4 nightstands and lots of shelves, wall treatments and accent pieces. I am a home body and my second home is my workshop. I love power tools, cute shoes and purses and I love designing furniture and watching it come to life in my shop. My passion is teaching and encouraging people to DIY and I am so blessed to work along side my sis, Whit!

ash-headshot
fam-blog

1. Cindy Roper on March 25, 2019 at 9:56 pm

Hi Whitney & Ashley!
    I love the area rug you purchased for your office. I was excited and proceeded to look it up to purchase in a 9×12 trim size. Unfortunately, that’s not an option.
    Was there another rug that caught your attention for all the same reasons/criteria? I too, want to refain from orange accents. I like the neutrality of the rug you picked because it could complement the different seasonal colors.
    I love your work and thanks so much for sharing all the great options to upgrade the humble home.
    Best,
    Cindy

2. Celeste Colaiocco on March 25, 2019 at 6:34 am

Hi girls!! You both are amazing and I love your you-tube channel! I want to make the farmhouse table with the four chunky turned legs but want to have the table top at 8ft long. Could you please advise on the revised measurements?

Thank you!!

3. DBull on March 23, 2019 at 1:48 pm

I printed the DIY plans for the Shanty2Chic Barn Door Chic Shelf (as called by At Home) last year from your website. I have all my pieces cut and stained, then time went by and I never put it together! Now I’ve lost my plans and I can’t find them anymore on your website. Is there any way I could get my hands on those old plans so I can finish my shelf?! Thanks!

4. Bill Gaskell on March 19, 2019 at 9:43 am

I’m a retired businessman and I love you’re projects! I’m going to build the Farmhouse Vent Hood, but I have a question. Where can I find a recirculating motor that will fit the hood?

5. Rebecca Crain on March 10, 2019 at 10:50 am

Hey! I recently found your website and I am in LOVE! I am a third year medical student and trying to save money on decorating my next home while making quality furniture. My first project is going to be the Modern Farmhouse Coffee Table. I was wondering if you had any ideas of how to make a matching side table? Thanks!!

6. William Atwell on March 5, 2019 at 11:51 am

Hello,
    My wife and I are an avid DIY. I focus mainly on woodwork for basic furniture such as shelves, chest, any type of frames, etc,, and I continue to learn new skills. My wife is totally bent on crafts. We love watching your videos, but we sorely need the videos to have CC (closed captioning) so we can follow ya’ll in the conversation. Would you please add CC so we can grow better in our skills as well learning the jargon and the terminology related to woodworking? Thank you, and keep up the good work!

7. Heather Longworth on March 2, 2019 at 2:52 pm

has anyone tried building the coffee farm house table without ripping the 2×4, 2×6’s just curious about measurements and if its buildable, or should I just rip them. only 1/2 inch needs to be ripped, I would have to do with skill saw since I have no table saw

8. Diana Piper on February 28, 2019 at 2:29 am

Any recommendations on types of masks, special safety goggles for us serious dust sneezers? Thanks and enjoy y’all videos.

9. Richard Dean on February 27, 2019 at 9:23 pm

Hello!!! I’m getting interested in woodworking and found ya’ll on Instagram and YouTube…I was on your web site for the first time tonight and love the projects ya’ll have done. My question is: Is there a printable version (pdf or word) of the detailed projects that are available on the web site?

Thanks in advance and keep up the great projects.

10. Christopher on February 26, 2019 at 2:29 pm

My wife has fallen in love with your floating shelves and tasked me with building 4 on either side of our TV/fireplace. I’ve put together one as a test run and the box+cleat weighs approx. 30 lbs. (48 inches wide, 15 inches deep). Each set of shelves will be mounted somewhere between 12 – 15 inches between each other vertically. I only have 2 studs from which I can mount the cleats on either side of the fire place/TV. My question, would the 2 wall studs be able to safely hold approx. 120 pounds of shelving plus whatever is put on them? Which I’m assuming will only be 10-15 lbs. max of décor/books, etc. Thanks for any assistance!

11. Bernice Velez on February 21, 2019 at 10:05 pm

Hi! I’m wondering if you have the plans for your Modern Faemhouse Platform bed in full size?

12. Dayne on February 21, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Hey! Working through the trunk on the ottoman set. Can’t seem to get the screws past the batting layer. How did you guys pass this issue?

13. Colt Tonge on February 10, 2019 at 11:09 am

Love everything you girls do. I’d love to see you girls do a D&D style table with a tv in it. I know its diff than what you girls usually do but id love to see something like that done threw you two.

14. Kelsey on February 9, 2019 at 9:30 pm

Hi! I’m working on the King bed DIY project. The project list and directions aren’t quite clear to me. You mention both 1.25 and 2.5 inch pocket hole screws. I’m not sure what to use for what. Could you please clarify for me? Thank you!!

15. Tim Smith on February 9, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Do you use a planer for your projects? Built a small desk, that I love, but didn’t plane the boards and have a few uneven spots that I’ll need to sand out.

Thanks!

16. rick malke on February 7, 2019 at 7:26 pm

you girls are so cute ….and thanks for all your helpful hints and free plans…you girls are amazing! just a thank you note for all you do!

17. David Hernandez on February 6, 2019 at 10:16 am

Where can I find the decorative angle brackets used in the Farm House coffee table?

18. Ronda on February 5, 2019 at 10:24 am

Do you have queen size plans for the Modern Farmhouse Platform Bed

19. Allison on January 27, 2019 at 11:26 am

I have to build this furniture quite a bit due to my job, and i am highly disappointed. For how expensive this stuff is, you’d think it would be better quality. Time after time screw holes don’t match up, or the screws aren’t already stripped straight out of the box. Currently (trying to) building the X-side hall tree and the wood nails are oval but are supposed to fit into a smaller circle hole? And trust me this isn’t user error, this is just how everything is made. I am having to throw away a $250 piece just because of negligence in production. It’s just sad that these women are making so much money off of something that i would definitely not be proud to call mine. Very very poor quality and way too overpriced.

20. Kevin Guinard on January 25, 2019 at 11:45 am

I would like to make the Rustic Modern King bed and the pans look amazing , but there is no dimensions as to where all the pocket holes are to be drilled ?? Can you help with updated dimensions on your plans for the pocket holes please ?