About Us

Meet sisters Ashley & Whitney, two power tool wielding DIY queens, on a mission to create beautiful and affordable furniture, turning houses into homes. Self-described coffee enthusiasts and treasure-weavers, the two sisters transformed a hobby into a dream career. The self-taught carpenters post their journey online to inspire other people to “pick up that scary tool and go!” Hosts of HGTV’s Open Concept, and designers of the Shanty2Chic Home Collection exclusively at At Home Stores nationwide.

A&W

Shanty 2 Chic Headshot 2015

Whitney

Hey guys~ Whitney here! A little background about me and what started this whole process... I am a mommy to 5 wonderful and crazy kids and wife to Jenson.   I have attempted (not always achieved) almost any craft. I have found along the way that I love, love the process of building a piece of furniture from raw wood and my power tool stash, of course.
I love Jesus, my family, my tools and coffee.  We built our house in 2009 and I have spent the last few years making it a home.  I love to teach others and give advice on all things DIY and I love learning as well.  I'm lucky to be able to share this experience with my sister Ashley!

Whitney Headshot

Whitney Family Photo

Ashley

Hey guys! I'm Ashley. I'm married to my hubby, John and we have 3 kids, Kade, Tris and Tenley. We built our home in 2013 and moved into it with no furniture. Since then, I have been busy building custom furniture to fill our new home. In our new home, so far, I have built 4 beds, 3 tables, 3 coffee tables, 2 console tables, a buffet, a media storage dresser, a mantel, 3 desks, 4 nightstands and lots of shelves, wall treatments and accent pieces. I am a home body and my second home is my workshop. I love power tools, cute shoes and purses and I love designing furniture and watching it come to life in my shop. My passion is teaching and encouraging people to DIY and I am so blessed to work along side my sis, Whit!

ash-headshot
fam-blog

1. Karen Lawson on June 20, 2019 at 5:04 am

Would you have a simple plan for a Church or Gothic style arched window frame? Would love to see this done by you girls!!! You are both so creative!!! Thanks for your consideration.

2. Mitch Smith on June 18, 2019 at 5:18 pm

Do you have any trouble with table top movement? Everything I’ve read says not to pocket hole screw breadboards to table end and not to screw the top into the frame. Most sites say to use table top fasteners to attach the top and to use dominoes, dowels, or a tenon joint to attach the breadboard.

3. Bill Boyles on June 7, 2019 at 3:08 pm

How far from the top board should the 1st center piece (2nd board) be.
    How far from the bottom of the 2nd board to the top of the 3rd board be
    How far from the bottom of the 2nd center board (3rd board ) be to the top of the 4th board be

4. Colin Kanady on June 2, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Hi! Huge fan! I have a question about the DIY Barn door hardware. Do you have a list of everything you used with sizes? I’ve actually built one of the nightstands but haven’t stained or put together the bar door hardware yet. Will post it when it’s all done! Thanks for your time and the list if you have one!

5. Brad Zalewski on June 2, 2019 at 1:51 pm

We purchased a table that was missing three tacks that are located around the outside of table top. It is a Shanty2Chic Diamond Folding Table, 24″; UPC# 191607280695. Please send me three so I don’t need to return table to store. My address is 6791 Baudine Road, Pinckney, MI 48169-9108

6. Danielle Lindquist on May 27, 2019 at 4:20 pm

Hello!

We are starting our own woodworking business and religiously follow you both! We apprecicate all of the hard work and dedication to your craft. We have been having some difficulty with pine wood however. Do you use a wood conditioner ever? The conditioner significantly changes the color of the stain and I cannot seem to find the perfect combination. We are wondeirng how you get such rich colors without making the wood turn our blotchy!

Thank you!!!

7. Tom on May 24, 2019 at 7:25 am

Hello! What kind of oil (or other sealant) do you recommend my wife and I use to treat the acacia wood bar stools and bar table?

8. Marcy Skala on May 8, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Love your stuff. I’d like to get started with some things of my own. I’d like to start out with a small pergola. Can you recommend some of your youtubes to get started with, that will familiarize me with basic tools I should have?

9. Wilson on May 8, 2019 at 9:20 am

I would love to see yall do an outdoor kitchen with cabinets and grill cutouts. I am wanting to do something similar on my back patio with a Big Green Egg and a Blackstone griddle. I’d love to see what y’all came up with!

10. Delores Beck on May 1, 2019 at 10:14 am

ok I am wanting to build the barn style night stand what type of plywood that you used on this project… was birch, maple or what? I want to get started right away please respond when you can so I can price

• Colin Kanady on June 2, 2019 at 5:55 pm

If you download the printable plans it will tell you what type of wood they used. I just finished the nightstand, the plywood is birch. And any of the trim is pine

11. Kelly on April 20, 2019 at 9:45 am

What are your favorite brands of paints, poly, and stains to use?

12. Cody Kelly on April 16, 2019 at 3:48 pm

Why Ryobi?

13. Laticia Alire on April 9, 2019 at 10:56 am

Hi guys! I was wondering if your crib will fit through a bedroom door or would it have to be assembled in the room? Thanks!

14. problemyzerekcja.pl.tl on April 3, 2019 at 10:55 am