About Us

Meet sisters Ashley & Whitney, two power tool wielding DIY queens, on a mission to create beautiful and affordable furniture, turning houses into homes. Self-described coffee enthusiasts and treasure-weavers, the two sisters transformed a hobby into a dream career. The self-taught carpenters post their journey online to inspire other people to “pick up that scary tool and go!” Hosts of HGTV’s Open Concept, and designers of the Shanty2Chic Home Collection exclusively at At Home Stores nationwide.

A&W

Shanty 2 Chic Headshot 2015

Whitney

Hey guys~ Whitney here! A little background about me and what started this whole process... I am a mommy to 5 wonderful and crazy kids and wife to Jenson.   I have attempted (not always achieved) almost any craft. I have found along the way that I love, love the process of building a piece of furniture from raw wood and my power tool stash, of course.
I love Jesus, my family, my tools and coffee.  We built our house in 2009 and I have spent the last few years making it a home.  I love to teach others and give advice on all things DIY and I love learning as well.  I'm lucky to be able to share this experience with my sister Ashley!
Whitney Headshot
 Whitney Family Photo

Ashley

Hey guys! I'm Ashley. I have 3 kids, Kade, Tris and Tenley. I built our home in 2013 and moved into it with no furniture. Since then, I have been busy building custom furniture to fill our new home. In our new home, so far, I have built 4 beds, 3 tables, 3 coffee tables, 2 console tables, a buffet, a media storage dresser, a mantel, 3 desks, 4 nightstands and lots of shelves, wall treatments and accent pieces. I am a home body and my second home is my workshop. I love power tools, cute shoes and purses and I love designing furniture and watching it come to life in my shop. My passion is teaching and encouraging people to DIY and I am so blessed to work along side my sis, Whit!

ash-headshot

1. Melissa Hoover on January 25, 2020 at 9:05 am

Hello, I just found your video on floating shelves! Love it! You give me confidence to get it done. I have a question about the finished shelf. It looks like in each corner there is a decorative dark round disk. Could you tell me what those are?

2. DOUG ROWITCH on January 22, 2020 at 2:08 pm

Hi, I wanted to thank you for the plans for the DIY work bench. I made 2 for my garage and love them. I did find some minor mistakes in the plans which I can send you and additionally made a modification of my own that you might be interested in. Please send me an email and I’ll send you the info along with photos of my work benches. Thanks! Doug

3. Chris Brinkman on January 22, 2020 at 6:56 am

Hi there, I just had a question about the stains and methods of staining you use. I love the farmhouse natural look that is on several of your pieces (mainly the DIY modern rustic king bed). What stain color do you use and how do you apply it to get that look? Thanks!

4. Cat on January 20, 2020 at 9:04 am

could I build a floating shelf that is 18wx24d? would it be sturdy?

5. Jennifer Owens on January 7, 2020 at 12:33 pm

How much did it cost for you to flip that entire house?

6. Kyle Smith on January 7, 2020 at 11:10 am

I am wanting to build a rustic wine buffet for our dining room. Do you have any blueprints available for an item like this? I was going to make the middle open with an X to store the bottles and two sides of the middle close with doors for shelving. Any help would be appreciated.

7. Laura Gaudin on January 5, 2020 at 11:01 am

I love your coffee “stations” but I have a very small dining room that is the only place I could put a coffee station. I am wondering if you could offer a design for a corner coffee station? Kind of like a corner “hutch” but more of a coffee station. I know I could look online for a pattern/design somewhere else but I just love your designs and you make your designs so easy to follow! I can provide dimensions and a picture if needed.
    Thanks so much,
    Laura Gaudin from Edmonton, AB CANADA

8. Joel LeGrand on December 22, 2019 at 10:28 pm

Your pocket screw holes work good on the long boards for a table top, but the end boards(bread boards) have to move, as in stink & expand with the weather.
    Pocket holes & glue will not let that happen! Your table will tear it self apart.
    Search youtube for a example of this. good luck.

9. Cyntia Dafoe on December 9, 2019 at 11:21 am

Hello ladies! I love your work and have replicated many of your plans before. Everything has always turned out really good. My current project is a builtin for my living room, I’m using one of your DIY Cane Cabinet plan, however my measurements are a bit different, so my question is how do you guys calculate the door size? Do you have any tips?
    Thank you!!

10. Martina on December 8, 2019 at 9:11 am

Milé dámy, teď jsem vás objevila na druhé straně Světa 🙂 … v České republice. Nastěhovala jsem se do domu, kde je téměř vše KO, takže různě prováním rekonstrukce. Majitel domu se moc nechce finančně zapojovat. Ale díky vaší inspiraci jsem docela zatočila s různými věcmi, které mě štvali a svůj domov vylepšila.

Přeji mnoho dalších úspěchů a těším se na videa 🙂