About Us

Meet sisters Ashley & Whitney, two power tool wielding DIY queens, on a mission to create beautiful and affordable furniture, turning houses into homes. Self-described coffee enthusiasts and treasure-weavers, the two sisters transformed a hobby into a dream career. The self-taught carpenters post their journey online to inspire other people to “pick up that scary tool and go!” Hosts of HGTV’s Open Concept, and designers of the Shanty2Chic Home Collection exclusively at At Home Stores nationwide.

A&W

Shanty 2 Chic Headshot 2015

Whitney

Hey guys~ Whitney here! A little background about me and what started this whole process... I am a mommy to 5 wonderful and crazy kids and wife to Jenson.   I have attempted (not always achieved) almost any craft. I have found along the way that I love, love the process of building a piece of furniture from raw wood and my power tool stash, of course.
I love Jesus, my family, my tools and coffee.  We built our house in 2009 and I have spent the last few years making it a home.  I love to teach others and give advice on all things DIY and I love learning as well.  I'm lucky to be able to share this experience with my sister Ashley!
Whitney Headshot
 Whitney Family Photo

Ashley

Hey guys! I'm Ashley. I have 3 kids, Kade, Tris and Tenley. I built our home in 2013 and moved into it with no furniture. Since then, I have been busy building custom furniture to fill our new home. In our new home, so far, I have built 4 beds, 3 tables, 3 coffee tables, 2 console tables, a buffet, a media storage dresser, a mantel, 3 desks, 4 nightstands and lots of shelves, wall treatments and accent pieces. I am a home body and my second home is my workshop. I love power tools, cute shoes and purses and I love designing furniture and watching it come to life in my shop. My passion is teaching and encouraging people to DIY and I am so blessed to work along side my sis, Whit!

ash-headshot

1. Brenda Wedderspoon-Gray on May 24, 2020 at 7:15 am

Hi,
    I am trying to find the plans for the king size platform bed with the storage drawers underneath. I can get the plans for a regular platform bed, but I am looking for the storage part. It was listed as “Easy DIY Platform Bed – Shanty 2 Chic”. I have searched your website for it but only find the plain platform plans.
    Thank you.

2. Jay Lewis on May 16, 2020 at 7:30 pm

On your sun lounger, where did you findable cushion 30 inches wide? I made 2 and cannot find one. The link on your plans does not work.

Thanks

Jay

3. Becky Williams on May 16, 2020 at 7:41 am

Good morning .. wondering if you have plans, or have ever made your $40 console table with a shelf? Would like to sit along our tv wall under tv and would like to place the accessories under. Any ideas? PS it’s beautiful !!😊

4. Joe Redmon on May 11, 2020 at 8:21 pm

Great cooler plans! Quick question, I used your plans, even learned how to use a Kreg Gig but I have a question about the stain. That stain is for interior use. I did the same but I am letting it dry to then put the spar vanish on. Have you had any issues with using a interior stain outside? I assuming the spar vanish protet the interior stain you used?? Thanks

5. Nina on May 11, 2020 at 5:51 pm

What tools do you recommend for someone who wants to start making furniture? Like coffee tables, end tables, simple tv stands, etc!

6. Brian C on May 7, 2020 at 5:30 am

Great ideas! Have you considered charging a small monthly fee for user who want to get rid of the advertising. Too many pop ups ruins your site and gets annoying.

7. Denise Hamilton on May 3, 2020 at 7:09 pm

I am interested in making the outdoor lounge.
    I was wondering if the sitting area could be made wider without too many adjustments??

8. sharon on April 28, 2020 at 9:38 pm

i love all your furniture so cute im obsessed with building during this quarantine but im unsure weather you paint before you put things together or after ? im getting mixed reviews on this and what kind of paint and brush do you use or prefer ?

9. Kim Burrows on April 28, 2020 at 10:41 am

Ladies, fell in love with your 36 inch wall rack in Rochester, N.Y. At Home Store!
    They only had one left; on clearance! My father bought it for me a few days ago! A gift for my new house! we tried to put it together this morning and the very first step
    attaching the seat to the sides, the oval doves were incapable of lining up to fit! holes were way off! Put everything back in the box to return for refund. Called the store and the lady said they couldn’t accept returns until after the store reopened!! Doesn’t know when that will happen because of the Corona Virus! Meanwhile my dad is out
    $ 187.00 plus tax for $202.00 for a piece that was not manufactured properly!!
    Our excitement has turned to pure disappointment!

10. Ross Way on April 25, 2020 at 9:07 am

What kind of wood did you use for your Pottery Barn inspired dining table?

11. Pete on April 21, 2020 at 5:29 pm

Hi there, great videos and plans, I’ve already made 2 of your projects and they turned out great. Is there any chance you could show me how to build a kitchen helper stool? My daughter is old enough where she is interested in helping us cook, and could use a boost up, but we need something to keep her safe.