About Us

Meet sisters Ashley & Whitney, two power tool wielding DIY queens, on a mission to create beautiful and affordable furniture, turning houses into homes. Self-described coffee enthusiasts and treasure-weavers, the two sisters transformed a hobby into a dream career. The self-taught carpenters post their journey online to inspire other people to “pick up that scary tool and go!” Hosts of HGTV’s Open Concept, and designers of the Shanty2Chic Home Collection exclusively at At Home Stores nationwide.

A&W

Shanty 2 Chic Headshot 2015

Whitney

Hey guys~ Whitney here! A little background about me and what started this whole process... I am a mommy to 5 wonderful and crazy kids and wife to Jenson.   I have attempted (not always achieved) almost any craft. I have found along the way that I love, love the process of building a piece of furniture from raw wood and my power tool stash, of course.
I love Jesus, my family, my tools and coffee.  We built our house in 2009 and I have spent the last few years making it a home.  I love to teach others and give advice on all things DIY and I love learning as well.  I'm lucky to be able to share this experience with my sister Ashley!
Whitney Headshot
 Whitney Family Photo

Ashley

Hey guys! I'm Ashley. I have 3 kids, Kade, Tris and Tenley. I built our home in 2013 and moved into it with no furniture. Since then, I have been busy building custom furniture to fill our new home. In our new home, so far, I have built 4 beds, 3 tables, 3 coffee tables, 2 console tables, a buffet, a media storage dresser, a mantel, 3 desks, 4 nightstands and lots of shelves, wall treatments and accent pieces. I am a home body and my second home is my workshop. I love power tools, cute shoes and purses and I love designing furniture and watching it come to life in my shop. My passion is teaching and encouraging people to DIY and I am so blessed to work along side my sis, Whit!

ash-headshot

1. Mary on January 19, 2021 at 11:17 am

Hi ladies, I have been searching your site for a particular piece of furniture. What I am looking for is a Linen storage, something farm/country inspired, cute yet functional. My situation is, I have a family of 5. Our home has literally NO storage space. In the hallway, there is 1 closet that has 5 shelves, that is it for Linen storage, personal hygiene products/toilet paper, etc.
    And perhaps a nifty pot/pan hanging rack. I have thought about welding one but I haven’t gotten around to drawing anything up yet.

Anyhow, you both do awesome work, I love downloading your plans for my “future projects” that may or may not get done. I hope your both had blessed holidays and a great start to 2021.

2. Brandi Owney on January 16, 2021 at 2:29 pm

Hello,
    My husband and I built the, Pew Bench Farm House Table, it turned out great! We are going to post about the build on our blog and we’re wondering if we could link your how to YouTube video and website to the post?

3. Chad on January 9, 2021 at 4:54 pm

4. Chad on January 9, 2021 at 4:53 pm

I have just discovered you. I am currently building the large work table on wheels. I have watched a bunch of your videos. I had a question about wood selection. The 2x4s and 6s that you have seem pretty good. I seem to be able to only find scarred, warped boards with edges sliced off. Where do you look for your wood? Big box stores, or is there a local wood place? Really interested in making some other things like the farmhouse table (my table is about 20 years old and well used by 3 kids and pets), but I would like the top to made our of decent boards. Thank, Chad

5. Kriste on January 6, 2021 at 12:21 pm

What website do you use to purchase the decorative hardware you use on your furniture. Unfortunately I have limited access to brick & mortar stores & need to buy my items online. Thanks

6. Tony Foster on January 2, 2021 at 10:06 am

I have an opening I would like to close with a barn door, however the opening goes right to the ceiling. Therefore I need hardware that would allow me to hang the door from the ceiling, not a wall parallel to the door. Are you aware of anything available for this… Thank You .