About Us

Meet sisters Ashley & Whitney, two power tool wielding DIY queens, on a mission to create beautiful and affordable furniture, turning houses into homes. Self-described coffee enthusiasts and treasure-weavers, the two sisters transformed a hobby into a dream career. The self-taught carpenters post their journey online to inspire other people to “pick up that scary tool and go!” Hosts of HGTV’s Open Concept, and designers of the Shanty2Chic Home Collection exclusively at At Home Stores nationwide.

A&W

Shanty 2 Chic Headshot 2015

Whitney

Hey guys~ Whitney here! A little background about me and what started this whole process... I am a mommy to 5 wonderful and crazy kids and wife to Jenson.   I have attempted (not always achieved) almost any craft. I have found along the way that I love, love the process of building a piece of furniture from raw wood and my power tool stash, of course.
I love Jesus, my family, my tools and coffee.  We built our house in 2009 and I have spent the last few years making it a home.  I love to teach others and give advice on all things DIY and I love learning as well.  I'm lucky to be able to share this experience with my sister Ashley!
Whitney Headshot
 Whitney Family Photo

Ashley

Hey guys! I'm Ashley. I have 3 kids, Kade, Tris and Tenley. I built our home in 2013 and moved into it with no furniture. Since then, I have been busy building custom furniture to fill our new home. In our new home, so far, I have built 4 beds, 3 tables, 3 coffee tables, 2 console tables, a buffet, a media storage dresser, a mantel, 3 desks, 4 nightstands and lots of shelves, wall treatments and accent pieces. I am a home body and my second home is my workshop. I love power tools, cute shoes and purses and I love designing furniture and watching it come to life in my shop. My passion is teaching and encouraging people to DIY and I am so blessed to work along side my sis, Whit!

ash-headshot

1. ltmate.com on July 31, 2021 at 12:23 am

ltmate.com

2. Kim L on July 15, 2021 at 9:23 pm

I don’t know if you take request for making a project but wanted to reach out and ask. I am a mom of 4 and a young grandma of an 11 month old grandson and I love building with wood but cannot say I have the know how to put ideas into plans (working on it). I would love it if you two would build an expandable farmhouse table that would go from a square to a rectangle from 4-8 or 10 seating. Thank you for your consideration love your work! God Bless… Kim from Ohio

3. Bruce T on June 29, 2021 at 12:58 pm

what size hex bolt and length due you use on your barn door rollers assembly? Ya’ll do great work!!

4. David on June 21, 2021 at 9:06 pm

Have you ever done your own murphy bed? I am really trying to make a playroom for my daughter but we need a guest room as well. adjust wondering if you have any plans or tips on building one? Thanks.

5. Katy Owens on June 16, 2021 at 8:07 pm

What size bed does the loft bed hold?

6. Boy Momma on May 29, 2021 at 9:33 am

Hi Ladies! I love what you are doing! I am curious if you have ever done a murphy bed? If so, that would be terrific to put up here. I am a bit intimidated to try it but I do think it could be done with sliding barn doors to cover it when it is put up and shelves on each side. Would love to see you try this some time!

7. Sam on May 19, 2021 at 9:50 am

Hello,

I’m about to start my own do it yourself blog. How did you conduct your “search” to ensure that your website name wasn’t already taken. Just curious. Love your work.

8. Jiggy Clark on April 20, 2021 at 7:37 am

Guest Post Request for Your Website-https://www.shanty-2-chic.com

Hello,

Greetings for the day!!!

I’m Jiggy Clark, I’m looking for guest posts Sites, and blogs.

I recently came across your blog and found it very interesting.

The article is related to your website and will be appreciated by your readers.

I guarantee you that the article will be 100% unique, top quality and Copyscape protected and will not be shared with any other site.

Please let me know if this sounds good to you so that we can send the article to you for review.

Hope to have a positive response.

Best Regards,
    Jiggy Clark

9. Donna on April 11, 2021 at 10:26 am

Do you ever answer any questions you are asked on here??

10. Tracy on March 4, 2021 at 12:36 pm

You guys are simply incredible. Any chance you’ll be building a tv cabinet that can be used to hide the TV on a wall? Farmhouse style of course!! 🙂

11. Scott on February 24, 2021 at 7:28 pm

Hi I’m looking to build the star bottom looking farm table like you girls posted on Jan 08, 2020 to YouTube, but not finding the plans. How do I go about getting them? I want to take an attempt on making this for our new home. We ordered a table back in January but it’s back ordered until May. Like you girls we have a bunch of kids so really need a table!!!! Thanks!

12. Erica on February 5, 2021 at 6:51 pm

I can’t find the stain color “ash” anymore from Varathane. What do you like that’s comparable to that color?!

13. TeriBolding on January 30, 2021 at 1:08 pm

Can you please call me my name is teri. I have a question about a bed my number is 817-526-1370

14. Marlene Wilhelm on January 26, 2021 at 9:56 pm

Hi ladies

You have inspired me to get my creative juices flowing!
    Since Covid has kept me pretty much home bound I’ve been busy being creative. So far I have built a mudroom in our new house, a desk for my mini-office, and have refinished my mom’s original Lane Hope chest, a jelly cabinet, my dresser, and another Hope chest.
    Thanks for inspiring me.
    You guys ROCK!

15. Mary on January 19, 2021 at 11:17 am

Hi ladies, I have been searching your site for a particular piece of furniture. What I am looking for is a Linen storage, something farm/country inspired, cute yet functional. My situation is, I have a family of 5. Our home has literally NO storage space. In the hallway, there is 1 closet that has 5 shelves, that is it for Linen storage, personal hygiene products/toilet paper, etc.
    And perhaps a nifty pot/pan hanging rack. I have thought about welding one but I haven’t gotten around to drawing anything up yet.

Anyhow, you both do awesome work, I love downloading your plans for my “future projects” that may or may not get done. I hope your both had blessed holidays and a great start to 2021.

16. Brandi Owney on January 16, 2021 at 2:29 pm

Hello,
    My husband and I built the, Pew Bench Farm House Table, it turned out great! We are going to post about the build on our blog and we’re wondering if we could link your how to YouTube video and website to the post?

17. Chad on January 9, 2021 at 4:54 pm

18. Chad on January 9, 2021 at 4:53 pm

I have just discovered you. I am currently building the large work table on wheels. I have watched a bunch of your videos. I had a question about wood selection. The 2x4s and 6s that you have seem pretty good. I seem to be able to only find scarred, warped boards with edges sliced off. Where do you look for your wood? Big box stores, or is there a local wood place? Really interested in making some other things like the farmhouse table (my table is about 20 years old and well used by 3 kids and pets), but I would like the top to made our of decent boards. Thank, Chad

19. Kriste on January 6, 2021 at 12:21 pm

What website do you use to purchase the decorative hardware you use on your furniture. Unfortunately I have limited access to brick & mortar stores & need to buy my items online. Thanks

20. Tony Foster on January 2, 2021 at 10:06 am

I have an opening I would like to close with a barn door, however the opening goes right to the ceiling. Therefore I need hardware that would allow me to hang the door from the ceiling, not a wall parallel to the door. Are you aware of anything available for this… Thank You .