Ashley’s Snowflake Ornament

Hi all!  First off, I want to say thank you to all of you who rated our project online today!  Wow!!!!  You guys are really helping us out!!!!  Thanks so much!!!!!  Now for my latest project!  I’ve mentioned that early Christmas decorating is a family tradition going way back!  We have always put the trees up right after Halloween and it feels right to me!  So here I am again, early November decorating my Christmas Tree!

I had to start from scratch this year because ALL of our ornaments were strewn across Hwy 114 on moving day (note to self ~ do not put a lightweight rubbermaid container in the bed of a truck).  Thankfully they were of no sentimental value!  I was going to revamp them anyway to match my new color scheme!
Here is the first of the replacements!
I’m sure you all have these!
Pair it with a bunch of cream colored buttons and a hot glue gun!
Cut 6 long and 6 shorter pieces using a pair of wire cutters
and hot glue each piece around a large button alternating sizes.
more hot glue….
and sandwich the wires with another large button.
Glue the buttons to each wire creating a pattern…
and flip!  Copy the same pattern on the reverse side.
Now for the hangin’
Use a strand of 1ply jute twine and glue it between the top two buttons to hide the edge
and coil up to the tip of the wire.
Tie a knot at the top creating a loop for hanging.
Now that was painless!!!!
Can’t wait to hang it from my tree!!!
I have added these to our Etsy shop ~ The Shanty Shoppe ~ Where they are available for purchase!  Stop by and check them out!!!!
Also:  If you would still like to help us out with our contest we entered just scroll down to the next post and click the SOS button!  It will take you to the site where you can rate our project!  5 snowmen is the highest rating!!!!  Thanks guys!!!!!I will be linking up at the Shabby Nest for Frugal Friday!

and here…
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

DIY Day @ ASPTL
and here!

Transformation Thursday
post signature

Comments

1. This snowflake ornament is PRECIOUS! I just love it. It seems easy enough but what I really love is that it’s fairly inexpensive to make. Your instructions and photos are great too. I hope that it’s okay, I just finished a frugal crafts round-up and couldn’t resist including your pretty snowflake! You can see it here:

2. LOVE this idea! This year we are on a crazy budget from our crazy debt and this looks like just the craft for me! Thanks so much for putting the time into the tutorial.
    Merry Christmas

3. Love these! I featured them on “Top 10 Ornaments to Make” @ http://www.cheapcraftymama.com! Feel free to stop by and grab a button to show that you are featured!

4. A great Christmas break idea!! My 8 year old will enjoy this project

5. Cannot wait for additional posts such as this!

6. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

7. Love this button star ! Blogged about it here: http://kraplap.blogspot.com/2010/12/button-wednesday-xmas-ornaments.html

8. A Touch of Country says:

winter storm coming here to Iowa so I think the children and I will make these button beauties!

Merry Christmas!

Natalie

9. Great idea! I'll add them to my craft list.

10. Totallyscrappy says:

Super cute!

11. Wow! That's great and I am so sorry you lost your ornaments!

12. texasdaisey says:

I love it. What a cool and cute idea.
    Debbie

13. Julia @ Hooked on Houses says:

This is such a cute idea. Love it!

14. Jennevieve says:

Love the buttons! I make things with buttons too!. I am currently working on a button wreath.

15. I love those, but mixing metal and hot glue is dangerous for me. Lol.

Hope that you have a wonderful holiday!

Merry Christmas!

If you get a chance, stop by my blog today and enter my children's Christmas book giveaway.

16. moretomeblog says:

This is such a simple and cute craft idea!

17. What a great craft!

Hope to see you next week for the Holly Bloggy Christmas Bash!

18. Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents says:

These are just the most adorable snowflakes ever! I feel the need to make one sooN!!!

My post is linked up now, so please take a peek at my holiday home when you get a chance!

Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

19. Love the white buttons on this darling ornament! This is so do-able!

20. Margarida Porto says:

Parabéns pelo blog,é muito interessante.
    Beijos

21. karlascottage.typepad.com says:

How cute and clever!

22. Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage says:

Those are ABSOLUTELY beautiful! You are such smart cookies!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, my shanty friends!

23. Great idea, love how it uses one of my favorites things in my craft stash and those ugly dry cleaning hangers.

24. The Weathered Cottage says:

this is GORGEOUS! I hope I have time to make some for my white/silver/robins egg blue tree!

25. seemommysew says:

That is so cute! If you live in the US, you should enter the tutorial contest I'm hosting: http://seemommysew.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/the-great-tutorial-contest/

26. Pearl Maple says:

Fabulous idea for creative ornaments, nice to be able to repurpose those collections of old buttons.

27. I have just discovered your blog from 'Today's Creative Blog'. It's fantastic and I just love those snowflakes. Will definitely be subscribing.

28. Orange it Lovely says:

Love this idea.. I just love your blog.
    I have it on my blogroll! :)

29. Karen- The Graphics Fairy says:

So sweet!

30. Nancy @ La Chambre Rose says:

Okay, this one goes in the inspiration spreadsheet. Lots of buttons here and I'm sure we can find hangers somewhere. Love it!

31. ImagineCozy says:

Such a fun idea, my daughter would love to do it! Thanks.
    -Angela

32. AHHH I LOVE it!

33. Dragonfly Treasure says:

OMG! I love snowflakes and buttons, I am so making one!! Thanks for such a simple and sweet idea. So clever!!
    *hugs*deb

34. Destination Seaborn says:

You girls are so clever! I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and y'all never cease to amaze me. Great job!

35. Wendy @ The Shabby Nest says:

I adore this ornament!! I just love buttons…and what a great use for them!!!

36. @Cheap Chic Home. This is just adorable and easy enough to let kids work on. Thx.

37. I love this! Thanks for the tutorial,I'm going to try this!

38. What a great idea! I love it!

39. Do you know if this works with pipe cleaners and white glue or rubber cement or something? So the kids can make them (on a smaller scale)

40. paperglueetc says:

I have to do this, I love it!

41. Just found your blog and love it! I have a thing for buttons, especially vintage, and will definately be raiding my stash to make these. Thanks for sharing!

42. Tales From My Empty Nest says:

I want to try making some of these. I have lots of old buttons. Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

43. Brown Sugar Babies says:

These are great – thank you so much for generously providing instructions. I have tons of antique buttons that I felt were too precious to put on cards as embellishments … this is a wonderful way to use them as true keepsakes.

44. OMG …. I have a "thing" for white buttons. I will be making these on the weekend. THANKS!

45. I love to put a Christmas ornament instead of a bow on gifts and this will look perfect! Thank you for the beautiful idea!

46. I saw an ornament like this on Anthropologie and was going to copy it as well. Anthropologie sells theirs for $16.00. Crazy, huh! Thanks for showing us how to do it!

47. sweetjeanette says:

I. Love. It!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

48. Beautiful ornament and great tutorial

49. TRICIA @ The Zoo says:

Hi.
    I just posted an award for you over at my blog. It is ready for you to pick up anytime if you would like. Love your blog. ;)

XO*Tricia

50. TRICIA @ The Zoo says:

Hi.

XO*Tricia

51. Turley Times says:

I could not love this more. I think I will be making myself one this weekend!!

Hannah

52. snowman hill says:

So cute! I would add glitter too!
    I love it!
    Krista

53. marty (A Stroll Thru Life) says:

What a great idea. It is just gorgeous. Thanks for the tutorial. Hugs, Marty

54. This looks great. The variation in the colors of the buttons really adds to the overall beauty of this ornament. Thanks for the tutorial.
    Jane

55. How clever and so pretty!

56. So simple & cute. Thanks for the instructions.
    Enjoy your weekend.

57. How cute and so very clever! You two are so creative!

58. Barbara Jean says:

This is great!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

blessings

barbara jean

59. Marianne@Songbird says:

I've got tons of buttons…..
    I must squeeze this project in somewhere, I must. It is way too cute not too!

60. Very cute, but you guys always make cute stuff!

61. tales from an oc cottage says:

Snowflakes are my most favorite symbol of winter!!!! I LOVE THIS!

m ^..^

62. Too crazy! Just last weekend I bought ornaments EXACTLY like these except multi colored! And now I learn I could have made them. ;) Wow, super cool.

63. Two Beautiful Girls Mommy says:

Ohhh I love these. I have to say that the story of your tree and ornaments almost made me cry.I guess I am bit more attached to mine that I thought. I think these adorable little snowflakes would make an AWESOME garland.

64. Country Wings in Phoenix says:

Well how winter are these? I just love snowflakes and these are so precious. Even I could make one of these I believe anyway. I am goig to try it and see. I thank you for sharing such a wonderful craft.

Have a beautiful Friday. Country hugs…Sherry

65. mommieofthree says:

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!

66. Rafahi Family says:

This is so cute!!! I love it.

67. Love all the fun stuff you guys do! I was wondering though; where do you find all your finials? I have looked at Lowes, Michaels, Hobby Lobby. Everyone looks at me like I am crazy when I ask about them. At Lowes are they in a certain place? Can you help?

Trackbacks