Mexican Pine turned Shabby Chic

So I have been very fortunate not to have to buy any furniture for our new nursery (besides the crib).  I have been transforming funiture we have around the house to match the nursery decor!
This is a dresser my husband had in his office (which is now the nursery).  We’ve had it for about 8 years…how it has managed to keep off of my ‘transform and make better list’ I haven’t a clue but her time has come!
This hardware was a booger to remove but I succeeded!!!
If you have hardware attached this way, use plyers and a flat head screwdriver to pry the pieces out of the wood.
Yes, I am painting red over carpet….27 weeks pregnant and a heat index of 111 can do crazy things! Not a drop thank goodness:) I used a semi-gloss latex paint by Behr. I just had the paint guy a Home Depot match it to the red in the bedding. It was a perfect match!
I used my 3M sanding block to scuff up every edge and then followed up with Minwax Dark Mahogany stain to add to the aged look!
Now for my favorite part…the hardware!
I found these super cute large glass knobs at Hobby Lobby.  Unfortunately I needed 5 and at $7.50 each I had to wait until they were on sale.  But I did get them 1/2 off after waiting patiently:)
Before…
After!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
~Ashley
Please check out all of the fabulous deals at one of our favorite online shops…

post signature

1. Laura @ House of Thrifty Decor on August 16, 2010 at 6:05 pm

WOW!! The dresser looks great. I really like the glass knobs, they really pop against the red.

2. Brady and Andrea on August 16, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I love the new dresser!!! I had a VERY similar dresser and painted it in black (yawm, I know, but I love it….). Anyhoo, how did you go from the two-hole required pull to a one hole pull? Did you use a filler? I'd love to switch out my hardware, but the two hole thing is really holding me up!!!

3. Brenda on August 16, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Beautiful! I love the RED! I did the same thing when I was expecting my last child. There's sometihng about the nesting stage!
    Congratulations to you!

4. 3LittleByrds on August 16, 2010 at 4:51 am

Beautiful. I love it. Your little girl is getting such a precious room.

5. The Autocrat: Haley on August 16, 2010 at 4:06 am

Oh very fabulous! Love the big chunky knobs too!

6. AntiqueChase on August 16, 2010 at 12:40 am

Looks so much better… painting red over the carpet had me LOL.. something I would do!

7. ChelseaSalomone on August 16, 2010 at 12:17 am

WOW! It looks awesome!!

8. Sarah @ The Bird's Papaya on August 15, 2010 at 11:21 pm

So gorgeous. I'm so excited to see how this entire nursery comes together. I'm loving the unconventional color combo's!
    Plus, I feel these colors will "grow" with her (but I have a feeling she'll go through several room revamps in her time! ha!).
    Great work 🙂

9. Cindy on August 15, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Beautiful! I love it.

10. Wendy on August 15, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Great color choice and your waiting for the knobs paid off…they look perfect 🙂

11. Shel at Dreamy Nest on August 15, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I love the red! Perfect – and the knobs are gorgeous!

12. - Brittany on August 15, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I am so glad you shared this! I have a very similar dresser and bedroom set in our master. My husband was mortified that I've been thinking about painting our bedroom furniture (all except the bed.) Luckily I have a gifted vanity that will get the split to make two nightstands. No guilty feelings painting that. But, the dresser has kept me undecided. I'm fearful of the vertical size of it and of our two boys trying to climb on it. I should just anchor it to the wall, but I just don't like the size.

Phew, sorry this comment turned into a book. I guess I've been trying to think this through too long. Anyway, love your dresser!

Brittany

13. marty (A Stroll Thru Life) on August 15, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Oh what a cute piece. I love the color and I would never have dreamed it is the same chest. Love the addition of the glass knobs too. Beautiful. Hugs, Marty

14. trish on August 15, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Are you kidding me?! :o) That is so cute!!
    Sincerely ~ Tricia
    ps. I have a new little button on my blog titled "bartering" and I would love if you dropped by. :o)

15. [email protected] on August 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I recently did a similar transformation! I love the knobs you chose.

16. Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking on August 15, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Love the distressed red & the knobs fit it just perfectly!

17. Kristie Clower on August 15, 2010 at 8:09 pm

beautiful. i'm so in awe of your creativity and commitment(27 weeks preggo?!)
    awesome job.

18. mom2marbles on August 15, 2010 at 8:02 pm

wow, that is amazing! LOVE the knobs! great job!

19. Tales From My Empty Nest on August 15, 2010 at 7:45 pm

The dresser turned out great and I especially love the knobs. So many people have commented on finding great knobs at Hobby Lobby. I want to check out there for knobs to use on a dresser I am re-finishing. Your nursery is going to be so cute. Can't wait to see the finished room. Love & blessings from NC!

20. Brandy on August 15, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Wowza!!! I love this, it's fantastic! I love the read, it gives a completely different look!
    lifeofperks.blogspot.com