My Hall Wall

I hope you guys are sitting down because you are about to see something super exciting…
That is my hall.  Not a whole lot going on there… I know.
This is where we come in from the garage and my kids typically drop their bags on the floor.  After tripping on them way too many times I was finally inspired to follow in Ashley’s footsteps.
I love the way her faux board and batten turned out for the baby’s room so I thought I would do something very similar in this hallway.  Here is my very blank wall that I started with.

I started by measuring everything off.   I used 1×4 white wood pine so I would have a smooth finish.   I measured my top board first.
I used my miter saw to cut all my boards.  For you guys who don’t own a power saw I also love using my small hand saw.  It cuts super quick without much work and it was only $12 at Lowe’s… Can’t beat that!
I put Liquid Nails construction adhesive on the wall where my first board would be.

I then attached my board to the wall.   I marked my studs for this board and used finish nails to secure it into the studs.  I knew I would be putting weight on this board so I wanted it up there tight.

I then measured where each of my vertical boards would be and cut them with my saw.  I put Liquid Nails on each board and secured it to the wall where I had measured off.

First board done!

About 20 minutes later I had them all done!

For my shelf I couldn’t go very big in this narrow hallway.  I was afraid someone would lose an eye on the corner of it.  I used a 1×2 in the same wood to create my shelf.  I added a line of Gorilla Wood Glue to the 1×2 and attached it to the top of my horizontal piece.

I secured it with very small finish nails.  Here it is drying…

At this point it was time to caulk.  Caulk hides all kinds of messes.  I love using it and for this project it covered up all my nail holes and seams where the wood meets the wall.
After the caulk dried I taped off my wall and painted the wood and the wall space in between with the same color as my trim.

I let it dry a few hours and then added hooks that I purchased at Lowe’s for the kids bags and other junk. Here it is all finished.  My next project (Oh how that list keeps growing) is to make something for above the shelf.  For now, you guys get to see it blank πŸ™‚  You should also know that I did move 2 very large baskets of clothes that need to be folded out of the way so I could get this picture.  It’s funny how I seem to make time for projects and not laundry….

Hope you like it!  Thanks so much to Ash for tackling it first so I would have the guts to do it second πŸ˜‰  I love the way it added some excitement to that very boring hallway!
On a fun and wonderful note…
Ashley and I welcomed our new baby niece over the weekend.  Our baby sister delivered this little cutie on Sunday and it was the best ever.
I love her to pieces and I was so blessed to be a part of it.  She is a lucky girl to have such amazing parents.  Thanks so much guys!  Ashley will be welcoming hers in a week so keep her in your prayers.
Have a great week!

post signature

1. Donna Hurst on February 9, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I finally finished it. It took me two days and since, not only am I a complete perfectionist, plumb, square and level are not in our house’s vocabulary. I am so tickled with it. I keep rushing into the room and just looking at it. Thanks so much for your blog and all the inspiration.

2. Donna Hurst on January 25, 2014 at 5:04 pm

My husband and I love your site. We will be swiping this for our own house. I am in the planning phases and trying to figure out the spacing of the vertical pieces. Since your wall and mine seem to be the same length, I was wondering if you’d share a bit more detail. Thanks.

3. Amanda Woodruff Alred on April 4, 2013 at 2:23 pm

did you do anything to meet the baseboard like miter the bottom of the boards or did you just leave the little gap? I want to do this but was trying to get away from having to remove our baseboards.

4. monica on August 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I love how this looks.. I have a narrow long hall and am not sure if it would work. How wide is your hallway?
    thanks
    Monica

5. EMILY JO LEE on April 8, 2011 at 4:26 am

love your hallway simple and so rewarding i am the mother of five boys and my hallway from the garage to the kitchen sees some serious traffic this will so fix my hallway

6. Joshua and Rachel on January 6, 2011 at 5:02 am

I love this!! So much that I did it my bedroom following your directions! I even did it ALL without my hubby πŸ™‚ I posted about it but referred people back here to your blog! http://joshuaandrachelconatser.blogspot.com/2011/01/bedroom-makeover-faux-board-batten.html
    Thanks!!!

7. Pam on December 23, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Wow…that really turned out great. Nice job.

8. The Mulberry Girl on November 10, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Wow – that looks SO great!! My head is spinning just thinking about trying this out in my home…where, where, where?? Thanks for a great how to post!

9. jennibell on November 7, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Wow! That looks great! And you make it look so easy. . .like. . .something I could do πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing. . .hope your kiddos actually *use* it!!!

10. Holly @ Roller Coaster Life on November 7, 2010 at 2:20 am

this is so gorgeous!! and you made it seem effortless! amazing

now i want to buy a house so i can do it!!

11. Claire on October 30, 2010 at 3:31 am

Love this- I did it in my front hall-simple but what a huge impact-looks great with the hooks too! Such a cute little girl you have and what an adorable niece!

12. Tammy on October 29, 2010 at 3:43 pm

This is beyond fabulous, it's stunningly creative. I love the idea. Hugs. Tammy

13. Linda@Coastal Charm on October 29, 2010 at 4:56 am

I have thought about doing this…love how yours turned out…looks GREAT!!!

Blessings,
    Linda

14. Shirley on October 29, 2010 at 3:45 am

WOW! That looks awesome! Good job!

15. VIRG @ WASTE NOT WANT KNOT on October 28, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I love this look! And so convenient! What more can a girl ask for!
    Definetly on my do to list!

16. mamatamera on October 27, 2010 at 11:25 pm

'Wow that's great! Not only does it change the look entirely but it ad
    ds storage space as well. Well done!

17. Linda Higgins on October 27, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Wonderful idea! Did a similar project adding P-Board as a backing and painted the P-Board in different colors! Did some awesome shadow boxes using the same concept and made them real big for the study, square shaped…angled them into diamonds and placed the books in them sideways, it makes for a wonderful non-traditional bookcase! Love your project!

18. Jordin on October 27, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Wow!! That is awesome!! Great idea!

19. Paula -- CutieFruity on October 27, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I love the board and batten for the hall! I haven't been digging it too much in regular rooms, but this looks perfect!

20. Melanie on October 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Looks great … beautiful!

Congratulations on your new niece!

~Melanie

21. Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking on October 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Love board & batten… great idea for a hallway!

22. Erin on October 27, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I can't believe how easy you made that look! What an impact!!

And congrats on the adorable new niece!!

23. Traci on October 27, 2010 at 1:48 pm

WOW!!!! That's pretty amazing!!!!

24. Cara on October 27, 2010 at 1:12 pm

looks GREAT!!! And congratulations on your new baby niece!
    <3 cara
    PS. new to your blog πŸ™‚

25. Krista on October 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm

That's incredible! I totally love it πŸ™‚

26. Kim on October 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

What a difference!! I love it!

27. Sarah @ The Bird's Papaya on October 27, 2010 at 11:44 am

I find it amazing that I can go through all the before & to-do pics and still get all gaspy in awe at the final result.
    This is beautiful! I love the addition of the hooks. Really takes it up like 10 notches! Well done!
    Also, so great to see God's blessing on another beautiful girl for your family to enjoy!!
    Congrats!
    Sarah

28. luv2teek on October 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

Love the wall–looks great!

29. Stephanie on October 27, 2010 at 5:55 am

Now that is a clever way to utilize wasted space. I love how the kids can just hang their stuff so easily. Well done. Congratulations on your new niece, she is a doll.

30. JavaMama on October 27, 2010 at 5:00 am

This is genius!

31. Janet on October 27, 2010 at 4:30 am

I love how it turned out, and the hooks are a genius idea!

32. Sara {Sara's Closet} on October 27, 2010 at 4:19 am

It looks so great!! Definitely not boring anymore =)

33. - Brittany on October 27, 2010 at 4:15 am

Love that idea. And congrats on your new niece!

If you ever wanted to add a shallow cube tower, you might like this one:

Brittany

34. Suzanne on October 27, 2010 at 4:10 am

The wall is fabulous, but it is upstaged by that adorable little bundle. Congratulations to your family!

35. Sommer on October 27, 2010 at 4:05 am

Ahhhhmazing! You know I woke up this morning and was thinking "I really haven't seen anything very inspiring in blog land recently". And then you suprise me with this! You're so sweet =) All the little things that I wish I could do in a rental home. Can't wait until I'm a homeowner again, oh the woodworking party we will have!

36. Finding Home on October 27, 2010 at 3:40 am

Really well done, I am trying to figure out if there is a place I can do that as well!

37. Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top on October 27, 2010 at 3:31 am

It looks fabulous! I love how useful it will be too. Congrats on your new niece. She is precious!

38. Infarrantly Creative on October 27, 2010 at 3:30 am

Looks gorgeous. A perfect use of space in that hallway. Bravo ladies.

39. Kara on October 27, 2010 at 3:17 am

Gorgeous!!!! I just love that it looks pretty and that it's an organizational/functional tool!

40. Chrissie on October 27, 2010 at 3:16 am

This looks great.Beautiful and functional. I need to do something like this in my laundry room. The door to our garage goes into the laundry room, so it is our dumping spot. Beautiful work, I love the big letter too!

41. 3LittleByrds on October 27, 2010 at 3:15 am

Whitney, I love the project. It adds so much and it turned out great. Your niece is precious. I never would have imagined Leasha carrying a dark haired baby. She's beautiful. How exciting.

42. Tara on October 27, 2010 at 3:14 am

I love your new hallway. Thanks for sharing.

Tara over @ http://tarahebison.blogspot.com/

43. The Oxford Family on October 27, 2010 at 3:14 am

Love it!

44. Kim's Treasures on October 27, 2010 at 3:13 am

Adorable baby! Love your new hall! We did this treatment on my son's bedroom wall about 10 years ago and I loved it!

45. kati on October 27, 2010 at 3:11 am

I love what you did… I am planing to do the same only in my son's room.

PS what is the babies name?

46. KirkKrew on October 27, 2010 at 3:11 am

Love, love, love!!! I wish I could find a place for this!

47. Ashley on October 27, 2010 at 3:09 am

That looks fantastic! Who would have thought a couple of boards and you would have a whole new custom look! Love your Blog by the way! So many great ideas!