Cheap but Oh So CHIC!

What up guys??

I needed a little break from building these last few days.  I also happen to have a scrap pile taller than myself which came in quite handy for this little project.

Do you remember the fabric for the new nursery I shared with you guys??

Yah… I love it.  I’m not quite in sewing mode just yet so I decided he needed a little something for the walls.  I came up with an idea that I need some frames for.  Rather than hitting up  Walmart, I decided to try and make my own.

Enter scrap pile.

I used some scrap 1×4 furring strip.  If you have to buy one, these are just around $2 for 8’… Super cheap.

I used my DeWalt miter saw to cut my boards.  You don’t have to have an electric saw to do this.  You can get a $5 miter box and a $10 hand saw from Lowe’s and have it done in minutes.  I used one for a long time before getting my big boy saw.  Works like a charm… I promise!

You will cut all your boards at a 45 degree angle.  Here’s mine.

I knew I would need a way to clamp the frame while it was drying.  There are a lot of options for this part.  I am sure my tool may get frowned upon by the pros out there, but it worked perfectly.

I found this one on Amazon for super cheap.  I know that Harbor Freight sells them for under $10.

I added some Gorilla Wood Glue to my corners…

And strapped that baby together while it dried.

While the glue was drying I cut my trim pieces.  I had some scrap trim I used on the inside frame.  You can get an 8′ piece at Lowe’s for around $5.  I cut them just about 1/4″ smaller than the other frame to give myself a place to hold the art.

Once my glue was dry on the first frame, I spray painted it gray.

I also measured off center and used blue painter’s tape to mark off stripes.  I started from the center and placed them 2″ apart.

Then, I used some cream acrylic paint to add my stripes.  I just used a cheap brush from Hobby Lobby and I wasn’t concerned about making it perfect because I was going to shanty it up.

I let the paint dry for about 30 minutes, did some laundry, fed the baby and then peeled off the tape.  Then, I took a 220 grit sanding block and sanded the whole thing.  This scratched up my white really good and exposed some of the wood which I love.

My trim pieces got spray painted Rust-Oleum Colonial red.  After they dried I attached them to my frame.  Because they are so lightweight and won’t be holding much weight at all I decided to hot glue them on.  Don’t tell.

I decided to add a few nails to hold it in place.  I won’t do that next time.  It was perfectly secure with the glue and I like the polished red frame on top of the shanty one.  But… I did add nails and distressed it a bit using the sanding block.

Still love it though.

I haven’t added the inside yet so I had to get a bit creative in taking pics for you.

And how cute is it with the fabric??

Wait until you see what’s going on the inside…. So fun!

Thanks so much for stopping by!!

1. Jenni Golembeski on January 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Can you tell us how you put the backing on the frame?? =)

2. Michelle M. on September 8, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Hi There, i’ve just recently found your blog and absolutely LOVE everything here! thanks so much for sharing your creations!!

3. icsouthsiderm on August 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I tried the mitre box method and I must say that using an electric mitre saw is a thousands times easier IMO!

4. Stephanie on June 25, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I just found your site, and love this frame! I have been perusing the internet for some time now finding a tutorial that I felt I could do and that I liked! I have one question. How large is the picture opening in this frame that you made (8×10, 11×14, etc)?

5. Kim Wilson on June 7, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Do you have a picture of the finished project with the picture in it? How do you put the picture in it and how did you use the fabric?

6. Lisa Davis on March 28, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I’m soo glad I found your site ! Your talented and give inspiration to us all. I love everything you do. Really you could keep all your secret’s and trick’s to yourself, but no your sharing and that speak’s mountain’s to the person you are !
    And yes these frame’s are adorable and can see way’s to tweek them to make them your own… With Many Thank’s !

7. Tracie Jeanne on March 23, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Hey! I adore the frame!! I just picked up the stuff to build one myself… I would love to see a picture of your finished project… picture in and all, if you have any. Did you put glass in your frame? or just fabric? or….

8. Rhea on January 26, 2012 at 10:25 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I have an obsession with frames and this one is great:)
    I am totally TRYING this tomorrow! My concern is that everytime I think something is simple for me I end up with a pile of scrap wood! What I am concerned about is 1) do you put the trim flush with the inside edge of the frame and 2) what keeps the photo in?

9. april on October 5, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Add me to the list of people needing to know the fabric brand/designer and where you bought it!! 🙂

10. Helena on August 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm

So cute!! Thanks for the heads up on the miter box… I need one of those!

11. Debbie Burrows on August 13, 2011 at 3:11 am

So pretty, But where did you get the fabric ? Who is the designer of the fabric?

12. Carrie at The Created Home on August 13, 2011 at 1:41 am

I Love it! You are one talented lady! I am excited to follow you! Hope you stop by and say hi sometime!

13. Terry Moore on August 8, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Wowzers! I do love what you did to this frame.

14. Kristen: Turning a House into a Home on August 1, 2011 at 6:45 pm

So pretty! I love a cheap but awesome way to make an impact!

Kristen

15. Stephanie on July 26, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Love this!!!

16. jan on July 26, 2011 at 7:08 pm

first of all let me say…i LOVE your blog. these frames are adorable. i am getting ready to re-do our game room and i have a feeling some of these are in my future. LOVE them. awesome job.

• Shanty2Chic on July 26, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Thanks so much Jan!! I appreciate it! Good luck with the play room…I have the hardest time with mine!! 🙂

17. Karissa on July 26, 2011 at 3:50 pm

That is so wonderful!

I was thinking…couldn’t you have put the nails in through the back if you had any doubts about the glue holding? Then they wouldn’t show and you’d have peace of mind. 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on July 26, 2011 at 3:53 pm

That’s actually what I did! I thought my nails were short enough and they popped through… Bummer. I’m fixing it this morning though and using shorter nails 🙂

18. Jan on July 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Whitney~
    Is it inappropriate for me to just say, “I LOVE YOU, MAN!” So cute!
    Although, both ways of doing the frame are great I do prefer the red left glossy! Great job!!

• Shanty2Chic on July 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Funny you say that Jan! I am actually fixing it back right now 🙂 I like it glossy much better! Luckily a little caulk goes a long way!

• Jan on July 27, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Awesome! Can’t wait to see the room finished.

19. Brooke on July 26, 2011 at 1:18 pm

You are talented! Every time I look at frames like that in gift shops, I think to myself that I need to learn to make them because spending $40-$80 on one isn’t in my budget! Looks awesome!!

• Shanty2Chic on July 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Thanks Brooke! That’s exactly my motivation every time!! Great ideas… Just too darn pricey! 🙂

20. Julie on July 26, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I just LOVE the mix of patterns, texture and color! Great job!

• Shanty2Chic on July 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Thanks so much Julie!! 🙂

21. PJ on July 26, 2011 at 11:13 am

You are incredibly handy and creative. This is wonderful and, with the fabric – PERFECT!

• Shanty2Chic on July 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm