$30 Pottery Barn Inspired Twin Platform Bed

Yep guys.  You read that right! $30!

And although I used my Kreg Jig to build these cuties, you can definitely build them without one.  I think these beds would be great alone with almost any headboard or backdrop.  They are simple and oh so cute! Plus, if you are anything like me you will love the fact that the kids can’t stuff goodies under them!

Here are a few tips of my build and you can get the easy plans for these over at Ana’s site HERE!  She came through for me once again!

I just followed Ana’s directions to a T.  When placing my feet I made a 1/2″ spacer with a scrap to easily line up all my feet at the same height.

I also prefer to use drywall screws over wood screws.  They go in much easier for me and I like that they are black :-).  And of course, I used Gorilla Wood Glue on all of my joints.

This is how I easily attached the side cleats.

And here it is just before I stained it.  I did go back and add a few more mattress support boards than you see here.  My girls were “barely jumping” on the beds and managed to break one.  Problem is solved now though! 😉

I stained them with my favorite…

Here they are all finished!  I can’t wait to get the rest of the coordinating pieces built so their room isn’t so bare…

Hope you like them!  The price is incredible, and they are super sturdy.  My girls love their “tree” color as well.  You can see my post on the headboard HERE!

Make sure to go check out Ana’s plans for these great beds HERE!!!

Have a great day and PIN AWAY ;-)… I would appreciate it!

1. Kara on January 21, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Adorable bed! Can you let me know how you secure the headboard to the back? I’ve built a pretty DIY headboard for my daughter’s bed but it is HEAVY. I’d like to build a platform for it like this (or use an up-cycled bed frame) but worry it might fall on her. Any advice?

2. Allyson Jarrell on August 5, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Where is the bedding from?

3. Elisabeth Sullivan on July 12, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Adorable!

4. Melanie Black on June 1, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I adore these and have plans to make them in the next couple weeks. My only concern is, the mattress staying in place. Does it slide around? My son and daughter would each have one and can getting a bit rowdy at times. Thanks for the help!

5. Lorena on April 28, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Do you know the dimensions I would need in order to make this a twin xl frame??

6. Holyjeans Chic on February 24, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Totally gorgeous! I was shopping for new beds for my boys but didn’t want to spend a lot on fake wood….so I decided we are going to make them :)….I just have to let the Mr. know that we are lol. Thank you for sharing this, it’s just what I was looking for!

7. Keila Fenton on August 1, 2013 at 6:28 am

measurements for a queen size ?? please

8. katie hamilton on June 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Where is the bedding from?

9. Csanders on May 21, 2013 at 11:30 am

What are the measurements for wood?

• ZarthusMaximus on February 15, 2015 at 11:16 pm

That is what she said.

10. Kristen on March 26, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Beautiful bedding! Where is it from?

11. Seaturtle0013 on March 14, 2013 at 9:28 am

Wow, I have to give it to you, these look great. I’m thinking about making a queen size, for myself. Maybe I should add an extra support bar in the middle. What do you suggest?

12. Kris on January 5, 2013 at 6:09 pm

What is the color of your walls? Love it!

13. Krys on October 23, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I have a finishing question about the staining.. do you stain the underside, or just what you can see?–and also, do you seal on top of the stain, and if so, with what? I’m having my husband make this bed for our 3 year old, and after hopefully, a matching crib matress sized one for my daughter. Oh, before I forget! Do you figure 13 slats enough for a rowdy 3 year old? Thank you so much for the idea for this bed, it solves my problems ENTIRELY!

14. Kelli on September 22, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Love this! Can you tell us where this bedding is from?

15. Stefanee Peacock Durham on September 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I love this! My dad is actually making my two year olds bed, this would be perfect! Also, where did you get the bedding? Didid you make it or buy it?

16. Bonnie on August 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Love the beds!! And where is that bedding from? It’s adorable!

17. Loree King on August 4, 2012 at 6:33 am

assuming you can make these larger?

• ZarthusMaximus on February 15, 2015 at 11:16 pm

That’s what she said.

18. Kara on July 18, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Can you tell us what size boards and how many etc in all needed

• Shanty2Chic on July 19, 2012 at 6:21 am

Hi Kara! The link to the plans is in the post. Did you find it?? Let me know if you need anything else! Thanks!

19. Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama on July 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm

These beds are gorgeous, thanks so much for the tutorial! Definitely putting on my ‘to-do’ list.

I featured you on my blog, feel free to come check it out 🙂

20. Carolyn on June 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm

What a wonderful project! We tarted on one for my 2 year old today – thankful to be able to pass on a boxspring and a guardrail since its the perfect size for her! This is our first build (other than shelves) and am so thrilled to know her daddy & I are making her first big girl bed 🙂 Thanks for making it so simple!

21. Jaymee on February 23, 2012 at 7:04 pm

These are great! Beds for all three of my kids are on the To Do list. One question: I just stained my Tryde table with the Rustoleum dark walnut. I used one coat and it’s almost black. I allowed it to sit only long enough to brush it on one board, and then wiped it off. Your’s look much lighter. Any idea?

22. Tsu Dho Nimh on February 23, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Note on the drywall screws … yes, they may go in easier,but they are more brittle than wood screws and can’t withstand stress as well.

Drill pilot holes for the wood screws and they will go in easily.

23. Brook @ BeingBrook on February 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Love these! Great that they don’t need a box spring. We had to take the box spring out of my daughter’s because it made it too high.

24. Amanda Fordham on February 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Oh my gosh, these look so great! I LOVE the bedding…where is it from?!!! I’m going to be re-doing my little one’s bedroom and that quilt would be PERFECT 🙂

25. Leslie on February 23, 2012 at 4:37 pm

These look amazing Whitney! Where do you get the wood so cheap? Do you have a wood planer or something & use rough cut wood?

26. Kimberly Bonham on February 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm

You are amazing and so crafty! These look GREAT! Nice work!

Come follow me…

• Donna Harris Harbin on April 30, 2015 at 5:00 am

where do you find the plans for the headboard?