DIY Queen Platform Bed

Oooooooh I am so excited to show you my latest build!  I have been busy building for my own house like crazy lately!  My youngest sister has been in need of a bed for sometime now.  Like me, she is on a shanty budget!

I knew just who to ask to find us the perfect bed to build!

My sister and I found a great platform bed over at Pottery Barn!  I LOVE everything about it…. Minus the darn price tag.  So… I hit Ana up for some great plans!

Let me introduce you to the Chestwick Platform Queen Bed!

Yep… I still love it!

Here are a few pictures of my build and you can get the full set of easy plans over here at Ana’s site!

I used my Kreg Jig® for this bed.  It made the build so easy!  And you wouldn’t believe how sturdy it is!  For those of you that are debating on purchasing your own… I will say it is by far my favorite tool I own.  I have saved a ton of time and money with this little guy!  You will not regret buying one.  For the hubby’s out there… You would love this tool as well.

I used Gorilla Wood Glue on all of my corners and joints!

Here is the middle brace attached with my Kreg Jig®

I always like to sand my edges a bit to give it the “I didn’t make this in my garage” look 😉 …

I found my feet at Lowe’s! They were under $6 a piece and really are the focal point of this bed in my opinion… So cute!

I finished the entire bed with Rust-Oleum Premium Wood stain in Dark Walnut, and put a coat of Rust-Oleum Ultimate Polyurethane with Soft Touch… Love this stuff! You can find them both at Lowe’s!

What do you think??

I almost wanted to keep it myself 😉

She is lucky I have a king bed or it may have just stayed at my house!

We were able to assemble the whole thing and move it in one piece because it is a queen and we could turn it on it’s side through the door frames.  If you have smaller entries I would assemble everything, but without glue.  Then, take it apart at your corners to move.  Once you have it in the room, you can assemble again.  If you do use glue on this final step it will be a very permanent hold though so keep that in mind! (just in case you plan to move it again soon)

It’s just missing one thing….. A headboard!  Oh you just wait!  We have come up with a BEAUTIFUL one for this bed and I can’t wait to share it soon!

It would make my day for you to pin and share this bed below :-)!!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Make sure to get the full plans over HERE at Ana’s site and let me know if you have any questions at all!

Happy building!

Update! I have finished the headboard for this bed!  Click the picture below for the post on it!  Thanks!

1. Rhonda Williamson on March 29, 2016 at 2:02 pm

The link for the headboard plans did not work?

2. Wendy Farrens on May 29, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Hi girls, like Jen, I really want to make this bed for my cal king. Did you have the measurements? I realize it’s been near on ages since you made it, but it’s never to late! I’ve tried in Ana’s site to figure it out, but all the cal king beds have foot boards. I’ve already made her headboard alone. And love it! I also made your mason jar crate and loved doing that. 😀
    Thanks! Wendy

3. Stefanie Alexander on February 5, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Can you please tell me what type of wood you used to make this bed?

4. kevin stahl on July 19, 2014 at 8:43 am

I made this but it is way too big for my queen mattress. I don’t have the box spring on it just the mattress and theres about 2 inches on the sides and 4 on the end. wondering what I should do about it?

5. Sheena on May 25, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Just curious, what bedding is this? The entire bed is gorgeous! I can’t wait to follow your plans and make it for myself. Thank you for all your beautiful and easy to follow DIYs!!! I am in love with your site!!

6. Rachel Corrine Davis on January 31, 2014 at 1:02 pm

How tall do you think you could make the legs without it getting wobbly?

7. Natasha Pouliot on January 23, 2014 at 7:32 pm

How well would it hold up, without being glued at the corners? Are there braces that can be purchased to help boost the strength of the corners, or will they be fine, with just screws?

8. Dan Crowdus on May 20, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Very nice! One question though. Did you just use 4 feet? Wondering if it could use two more centered along the sides to help prevent any long term sagging.

• James David Wagner on August 19, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Many professional beds have a hidden support leg centered under the bed.

9. Rachelle on January 11, 2013 at 8:10 am

I LOVE this bed. Correction, love the whole website! What modifications would you make in board lengths for a king size bed? Also, if you wanted to hide the boxspring within the bed frame, how would you recommend changing the inner supports?

Thanks!

• Courtney Schwartzenburg Sims on February 12, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Did you ever figure out the king size measurements?

10. Joy Guion on November 26, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Okay! Got the bed finished! Yay! Great plan 🙂 Any tips on how to attach the feet? Should they be a certain height? I purchased legs maybe a couple of inches higher than yours and they fell off. The feet didn’t come with instructions. Thanks again!

11. Joy Guion on November 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Beautiful bed. I’ve been trying to make it for 3 days :/ When I finally got to step 3 to add the trim the wood split as I was putting a screw in. Any tips? Sincerely, Frustrated in Richmond.

12. Lore Feltner on October 8, 2012 at 7:41 am

I just printed the plans for the bed and the headboard. I will be making an alteration to the feet and the inset of the headbord though. My father is a warehouse manager for a constructon (interior and exterior acoustic designs) and the owner of the company said he may put my bedroom in the new brochure once the bed is complete. I will of course have them add the Ana White and Shanty 2 Chic in the inset about the bed. I’ll post pics with my additions so if anyone wants to try them, they can! Thank You all for designing such and eye catching piece.

13. Jen on August 26, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Hi! Thanks so much for the post and inspiration! I found you on pintrest and pinned this bed to my wall. I’d like to make it for my boyfriend as a present but we have a Cal King bed. Any idea on the conversions I should make to the plans so I can accommodate the larger bed? Our anniversary is next week so I’d love to surprise him 🙂

Thanks so much!!!!
    Jen

• Wendy Farrens on May 29, 2015 at 5:46 pm

I’m new to your site, but have made a couple of your smaller builds. Like Jen, I wanted to get the cal King measurements too. I can’t figure out how to read the replies to her post. Thank you so much! Love your bed!
      Wendy

14. Karen-Anne on June 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Hi Ashley and Whitney,
    My favorites seem to be anything with the Dark Walnut stain on it!! In particular I was looking at this DIY Queen Platform bed. I would love to know the color and type of wood floor that is in the picture. My husband and I are building and I would like to match some things in our house to this room.
    Karen-Anne

15. Britany Schmidt on May 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Where did the bedding/fabric come from? Love it. I’m going to use your hints to make me a bed! Love your stuff.. repinning now!

16. ckynes on April 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm

do you know approximately how much it would cost for all the wood?

17. whitney on April 1, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

18. Ashley on March 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I just found your website and I LOVE it!!! Do you have the dimensions for a king bed!?

19. Paulette on March 28, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Lovely lovely! I can’t wait to get this started! Holding my breath to see the plans for the headboard too!

20. Cheryl on March 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Whitney I wish you were my neighbor. We would be cranking something out every weekend. : )
    I love all the builds you have been doing for your house. This latest one for your sister takes the cake. I too love those feet on that bed. Can’t wait to see what kind of headboard you come up with.

Just curious. I don’t recall reading it in the post, but was this a weekend project?

21. Ana on March 25, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Would you be able to make me one? What would it cost?! =)

22. Cindy B. on March 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

Absolutely love it!!!! I would definitely want a headboard though so I can’t wait to see what you do. I’m thinking I need to break out the power tools and do this. Please post the headboard soon….can’t wait!!!! Your sister is a very lucky girl 🙂

23. Lisa on March 23, 2012 at 7:16 am

Gorgeous as always! What a nice sister you are too!

24. Mary on March 23, 2012 at 7:05 am

Another awesome build. You are inspiring me to build something. What kind of a kreg jig do you have? The Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System or the Kreg K4MS Jig Master System or something cheaper?

• James David Wagner on August 19, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I personally have the Kreg R3 and the kreg clamp, it works very well

25. D on March 23, 2012 at 7:04 am

This looks really amazing and I don’t mean to take away from how great the bed itself looks, but can I get the info on that bedding? It’s gorgeous! 🙂

26. Jodi on March 23, 2012 at 6:53 am

If you ever want to ‘adopt’ a sister – let me know! I would take one of these! Can’t wait to see the headboard!

27. Debbie Christianson on March 23, 2012 at 6:36 am

Absolitely adore your updates. You are über talented. I have built many items from Ana’s plans and I’m in love with her too. :). One question: Are the four legs enough support, or did you add a center support in the middle? Thanks

28. Tracie on March 23, 2012 at 6:03 am

I’m always so impressed by your building skills! Can you let me know where the comforter on the bed is from? Thanks!

29. Kellie on March 23, 2012 at 5:51 am

Another Wonderful Project! I love it! 🙂 Thanks for sharing 🙂

30. Linda P on March 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Just wondering… what kind of wood did you use? Looks like pine? I really like the wood you show with the dark color stain.

31. Sherri on March 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I bow to the Queen… lol… You are amazing and inspire me everyday. I love everything you make and I can see why you didn’t want to part with this one! LOVE IT!! I think you are officially the Queen of DIY!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Thank you so much Sherri! Your comment made me smile LOTS! So sweet! I appreciate it!

32. eesh on March 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Is it on a boxspring? In the pictures it looks quite high from the base. I have a boxspring and if it looks like that I wouldnt mind so much. If not she’s got a really high mattress!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm

It is on a boxspring! We just laid her boxspring on top of the slats. She is planning on covering it with fabric soon. It does make the bed sit tall which she loves. Hope this helps!

33. Delight on March 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Totally gorg! Can you make me one?! I’m so impressed with what you do with power tools. I woudn’t even know where to start! Thanks for all the great posts.

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Thank you so much!! I appreciate it! 🙂

34. Jaymee on March 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm

LOVE this!! This might have to go in my room.

• Sarah Svoboda on March 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Absolutely LOVE it! My daughter has been looking at platform beds and I like this one better than anything I’ve seen! Perfect timing!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Thanks girls!!

35. Kara on March 22, 2012 at 11:49 am

I can see why you had a hard time parting with it, it is gorgeous! Those feet on the bottom really do take it up a notch. Love it!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Aren’t they fun Kara?? They were my favorite part! Thanks so much! 😉

36. Janine on March 22, 2012 at 11:18 am

Oh wow! I just love that! And the fact that it has been hand made from her sister makes it way better than anything from a fancy store! Well done!!! I’m sure your sis is all smiles!!!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Thank you Janine!! 😉

37. Alicia on March 22, 2012 at 11:10 am

Am I the first to comment? Oh.my.goodness! I love this and the tutorial is so great! Thanks for sharing this! i’m pinning it right now!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thank you so much Alicia!!