DIY Queen Platform Bed

Oooooooh I am so excited to show you my latest build!  I have been busy building for my own house like crazy lately!  My youngest sister has been in need of a bed for sometime now.  Like me, she is on a shanty budget!

I knew just who to ask to find us the perfect bed to build!

My sister and I found a great platform bed over at Pottery Barn!  I LOVE everything about it…. Minus the darn price tag.  So… I hit Ana up for some great plans!

Let me introduce you to the Chestwick Platform Queen Bed!

Yep… I still love it!

Here are a few pictures of my build and you can get the full set of easy plans over here at Ana’s site!

I used my Kreg Jig® for this bed.  It made the build so easy!  And you wouldn’t believe how sturdy it is!  For those of you that are debating on purchasing your own… I will say it is by far my favorite tool I own.  I have saved a ton of time and money with this little guy!  You will not regret buying one.  For the hubby’s out there… You would love this tool as well.

I used Gorilla Wood Glue on all of my corners and joints!

Here is the middle brace attached with my Kreg Jig®

I always like to sand my edges a bit to give it the “I didn’t make this in my garage” look 😉 …

I found my feet at Lowe’s! They were under $6 a piece and really are the focal point of this bed in my opinion… So cute!

I finished the entire bed with Rust-Oleum Premium Wood stain in Dark Walnut, and put a coat of Rust-Oleum Ultimate Polyurethane with Soft Touch… Love this stuff! You can find them both at Lowe’s!

What do you think??

I almost wanted to keep it myself 😉

She is lucky I have a king bed or it may have just stayed at my house!

We were able to assemble the whole thing and move it in one piece because it is a queen and we could turn it on it’s side through the door frames.  If you have smaller entries I would assemble everything, but without glue.  Then, take it apart at your corners to move.  Once you have it in the room, you can assemble again.  If you do use glue on this final step it will be a very permanent hold though so keep that in mind! (just in case you plan to move it again soon)

It’s just missing one thing….. A headboard!  Oh you just wait!  We have come up with a BEAUTIFUL one for this bed and I can’t wait to share it soon!

It would make my day for you to pin and share this bed below :-)!!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Make sure to get the full plans over HERE at Ana’s site and let me know if you have any questions at all!

Happy building!

Update! I have finished the headboard for this bed!  Click the picture below for the post on it!  Thanks!

1. Ashley on March 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I just found your website and I LOVE it!!! Do you have the dimensions for a king bed!?

• www.WoodworkPlans.info on July 29, 2018 at 11:43 am

YAY! I built this and I’m super thankful it turned out so well! I used the plans at www. WoodworkPlans.info to build mine – I highly recommend you visit that website and check their plans out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha 🔨⭐💖🔨⭐💖🔨⭐

Go to www. WoodworkPlans.info – click the pink link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

🔨⭐💖🔨⭐💖🔨⭐

2. Paulette on March 28, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Lovely lovely! I can’t wait to get this started! Holding my breath to see the plans for the headboard too!

3. Cheryl on March 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Whitney I wish you were my neighbor. We would be cranking something out every weekend. : )
    I love all the builds you have been doing for your house. This latest one for your sister takes the cake. I too love those feet on that bed. Can’t wait to see what kind of headboard you come up with.

Just curious. I don’t recall reading it in the post, but was this a weekend project?

4. Ana on March 25, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Would you be able to make me one? What would it cost?! =)

5. Cindy B. on March 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

Absolutely love it!!!! I would definitely want a headboard though so I can’t wait to see what you do. I’m thinking I need to break out the power tools and do this. Please post the headboard soon….can’t wait!!!! Your sister is a very lucky girl 🙂

6. Lisa on March 23, 2012 at 7:16 am

Gorgeous as always! What a nice sister you are too!

7. Mary on March 23, 2012 at 7:05 am

Another awesome build. You are inspiring me to build something. What kind of a kreg jig do you have? The Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole System or the Kreg K4MS Jig Master System or something cheaper?

• James David Wagner on August 19, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I personally have the Kreg R3 and the kreg clamp, it works very well

8. D on March 23, 2012 at 7:04 am

This looks really amazing and I don’t mean to take away from how great the bed itself looks, but can I get the info on that bedding? It’s gorgeous! 🙂

9. Jodi on March 23, 2012 at 6:53 am

If you ever want to ‘adopt’ a sister – let me know! I would take one of these! Can’t wait to see the headboard!

10. Debbie Christianson on March 23, 2012 at 6:36 am

Absolitely adore your updates. You are über talented. I have built many items from Ana’s plans and I’m in love with her too. :). One question: Are the four legs enough support, or did you add a center support in the middle? Thanks

11. Tracie on March 23, 2012 at 6:03 am

I’m always so impressed by your building skills! Can you let me know where the comforter on the bed is from? Thanks!

12. Kellie on March 23, 2012 at 5:51 am

Another Wonderful Project! I love it! 🙂 Thanks for sharing 🙂

13. Linda P on March 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Just wondering… what kind of wood did you use? Looks like pine? I really like the wood you show with the dark color stain.

14. Sherri on March 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I bow to the Queen… lol… You are amazing and inspire me everyday. I love everything you make and I can see why you didn’t want to part with this one! LOVE IT!! I think you are officially the Queen of DIY!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Thank you so much Sherri! Your comment made me smile LOTS! So sweet! I appreciate it!

15. eesh on March 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Is it on a boxspring? In the pictures it looks quite high from the base. I have a boxspring and if it looks like that I wouldnt mind so much. If not she’s got a really high mattress!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm

It is on a boxspring! We just laid her boxspring on top of the slats. She is planning on covering it with fabric soon. It does make the bed sit tall which she loves. Hope this helps!

16. Delight on March 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Totally gorg! Can you make me one?! I’m so impressed with what you do with power tools. I woudn’t even know where to start! Thanks for all the great posts.

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Thank you so much!! I appreciate it! 🙂

17. Jaymee on March 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm

LOVE this!! This might have to go in my room.

• Sarah Svoboda on March 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Absolutely LOVE it! My daughter has been looking at platform beds and I like this one better than anything I’ve seen! Perfect timing!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Thanks girls!!

18. Kara on March 22, 2012 at 11:49 am

I can see why you had a hard time parting with it, it is gorgeous! Those feet on the bottom really do take it up a notch. Love it!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Aren’t they fun Kara?? They were my favorite part! Thanks so much! 😉

19. Janine on March 22, 2012 at 11:18 am

Oh wow! I just love that! And the fact that it has been hand made from her sister makes it way better than anything from a fancy store! Well done!!! I’m sure your sis is all smiles!!!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Thank you Janine!! 😉

20. Alicia on March 22, 2012 at 11:10 am

Am I the first to comment? Oh.my.goodness! I love this and the tutorial is so great! Thanks for sharing this! i’m pinning it right now!

• Shanty2Chic on March 22, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thank you so much Alicia!!