$15 DIY Mirror

715K Shares

Hey there!  I just put together this mirror in about an hour and it only cost me $15!

how to make a mirror, mirror mate, mirror

I love the simplicity to it!  Here’s how you can make your own:)

I purchased this Mainstay door mirror from Wal-Mart for $5.  I had to do a little demolition on the cheap, plastic trim that was glued to it.

I started by ripping off the paper backing.

I then used a utility knife to cut the glue (it seemed to be close to a hot glue consistency).  Make sure that you cut where the glue and the trim meet.

Now this is the part that is very important.  The trim will come off very easily and without cracking the mirror if you pull it away from the mirror.  Do NOT try to bend it away from the mirror from front to back.  Just pull it away.

After I removed the trim I cleaned the mirror with a little Windex:)

Now for the frame:

If you have never owned a saw, this is the perfect tool for you to purchase!

It will make this project so easy and it is the perfect starter saw if you are interested in building!

I purchased 2 1×4 white wood boards and cut down 4 pieces with 45 degree angles at each end to build the frame.

2 @ 48″ (long point to long point)

2 @ 1 7 1/4″ (long point to long point)

This was the fun part for me because it was soooo easy:)  I flipped the boards over so that the bad sides were showing and glued the frame together with Gorilla Glue wood glue.  To keep them together while the dried, I used my staple gun (purchased years ago at Hobby Lobby).  It worked like a charm!

After the glue was dry, I flipped the frame over and stained it with Rust-Oleum dark walnut stain.  I let one coat sit for about 10 minutes!

For the final step, I attached the mirror to the back of the frame with Liquid Nails (I applied the liquid nails to the back of the frame (edges closest to the middle) and laid the mirror on top of it).  A little goes a long way.

I decided to prop it up next to my Pottery Barn Inspired Media Console🙂

I just love easy and cheap projects!  $15 and 1 hour for a decorative mirror is a steal:)  And the versatility is endless!  I would love one hanging on a wall in my house or even over my mantle!

If you love this I would LOVE your pins;)

Also, be sure to keep up with the Shanty Sisters on Facebook!

Ashley

715K Shares

1. Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 7:17 pm

LOVE THIS and YOUR PAGE! I have two of these mirrors and they are sooo tacky but, good for make-up in the morning. This will be the perfect way to make it look chic! 🙂

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 5, 2018 at 1:06 am

I LOVE the mirror I built! I used the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org to build it – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

www. EasyWoodwork.org – click the red link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

2. Allison on May 15, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Where did you get that adorable vase that you have set up infront of the mirror?

3. Laurie on May 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Love the mirror! Thank you for the inspiration!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thanks so much Laurie!

4. Tiffany on May 15, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I LOVE your mirror!! I’m just a little confused with the last step… Gluing the mirror to the wood… So you just put the glue on the outer edge of the mirror and then placed it againest the back side of the wood frame? Thank you for sharing ALL your wonderful ideas!!

TIFFANY

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Thanks Tiffany! Yes on the glueing! I actually put the Liquid Nails on the back of the frame (to make sure it didn’t show on the mirror) and laid the mirror face down on the glue:)

• David on April 15, 2018 at 6:22 am

By the description, I think the glue goes on the frame rather than the mirror.

5. Pepsigirl13 on May 15, 2012 at 11:47 am

Wow, that is a gorgeous rehab! Where does one buy a $7.98 miter box/saw combo? Big box store? I live in New England, and love your creativity!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thanks so much! This particular saw is at Home Depot but most hardware stores carry them:)

6. jessika on May 15, 2012 at 10:50 am

so simple and easy! I should do this.

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thank you! You totally should:)))

7. Tips On Painting on May 15, 2012 at 7:34 am

Great idea and I know just where I want mine to go when finished. I’m going to paint mine to match the decor of the room though. Wouldn’t a mirror this size be great in the mud/ coat room? Then you could have one last look to check your outfit before you left the house.

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Great idea!! Thank you:))

8. Amy M on May 15, 2012 at 6:52 am

This is just perfect for my hallway! love love love! I love everything on your site, just wish I had time to make it ALL! : ) Thanks for the inspiration. xo!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

9. Kayla on May 15, 2012 at 2:25 am

Dang. I can’t see the pictures because of the ad. Love your blog;)

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Thank you Kayla! We are working on that right now;)

10. Brooke on May 14, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Love the mirror, DESPISE the new ad! For some reason it refuses to close no matter how many times I click close. So it just follows me around blocking all your pretty pictures! Perhaps you could let your ad agency know there’s a glitch. I’m running a Mac OS 10.5 with a Firefox browser.

Great project!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Thanks so much Brooke! We are in the process of working that out right now;)

11. Pat on May 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I have that cheapy mirror and been trying to figure out what to do with it and where to find one like your ‘done’ version…now I know!! Thank you so much for sharing!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Awesome Pat! Thanks so much:)

12. Erin Stevens aka nanasrcool on May 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day. Mine was great!

I am new to this blogging stuff. A blog I read alot nominated me for the “Versatile Blogger award”. I had to choose 15 blogs that I discovered and follow often. Yours was on the top of my list. Please go check it out!

I know you are probably very very busy and I just wanted those blogs that inspire me so much to know that I appreciate all their hard work and thank them for teaching me so much!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Thank you so much Erin;) We appreciate that!

13. Jennifer on May 14, 2012 at 6:13 pm

LOVE all your projects. This is one I should try. I have that ugly mirror.
    FYI the add running on your page wont close when I hit close and it’s hard to see all your pictures/words…

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thank you Jennifer! (We are in the process of correcting the ad issue;))

14. Lisa @ Creative Raisins on May 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Beautiful Mirror, Definitely a step up from the other one.

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thank you Lisa!

15. Sherri on May 14, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I am inspired by your blog and all of your DIY projects that now I want to re-do my entire living room. My husband might not like after this… LOL… but I LOVE you! I have a whole new idea for my room now. Thanks so much! Now I just need to get all my owns tools so I don’t have to bug my hubby 🙂

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks so much for sharing Sherri! Good luck;)

16. knuckstermom on May 14, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I love gorilla glue-that stuff holds ANYTHING!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

YES it DOES:)

17. Lesley on May 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Great Idea. I have been looking for a floor mirror for a while and nothing seems to match my decor. Nice to know it is so easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks Lesley!

18. Delina on May 14, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love it! I’ve been wondering how to do this. I’ve pinned similar mirrors and just couldn’t figure out how to make it happen. You are the best for providing step-by-step instructions. I’m hoping my only cost will be the liquid nails. Thanks so much! Pinning!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Thank you so much Delina! You are too sweet!

19. Mel on May 14, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I’m so going to do this for my builder grade mirrors in the bathrooms!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Great idea Mel! Email us pics when you get done so we can share with our FB friends!

• Toni Corum on May 25, 2012 at 6:51 am

I would love to see how you do it. I have contractor mirrors in every bathroom at my house and I hate them!!!

20. Pine Tree Home on May 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Wow, I’ve been moving one of those cheap mirrors around and Hubs said what are you doing with that? the other day. Now I have a plan.

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm

LOL! Send us pics when you are done:)))

• Gary Barnett on July 3, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I have the wood cut to size, stained, and ready to go but have broken TWO of these mirrors so far. lol Every time I try to pull form the side they snap.

• Shanty2Chic on July 3, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Hmmm, make sure you are scoring the glue that is holding the frame really well. Mine pulled right off after cutting the glue… Hope this helps!

• Gary Barnett on July 3, 2012 at 11:19 pm

My mirrors have small staples at each corner along with the tough glue around the trim. It’s the same mainstays mirror but the glue is hard to cut through and remove trim without snapping the mirror.

• Suz on August 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm

If my mirror is 48″ long and 11 7/8″ inches wide, what measurements should the wood be? If the wood is cut 48″ (long side to long side”, isn’t that too short to fit on a 48″ mirror? I’m all set to start and don’t know how to proceed!

• Shanty2Chic on August 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Those are the measurements I used. You will be using part of the mirror to attach the 1×4’s. The top and bottom edge of the mirror run even with the back of the 1×4’s. Hope this makes sense!

• Suz on August 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I’m sorry, I feel like such a moron. This is my first attempt at making anything with wood. If the longest measurement of the wood is 48″, wouldn’t it have to be placed with the long edge exactly at the edge of the mirror (which is also 48″)? In other words, the wood would be fully resting on the mirror. If that’s the case- then the mirror not covered by wood would be 14 7/8 minus 2 x the width of the frame. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help-