$15 DIY Mirror

Hey there!  I just put together this mirror in about an hour and it only cost me $15!

how to make a mirror, mirror mate, mirror

I love the simplicity to it!  Here’s how you can make your own:)

I purchased this Mainstay door mirror from Wal-Mart for $5.  I had to do a little demolition on the cheap, plastic trim that was glued to it.

I started by ripping off the paper backing.

I then used a utility knife to cut the glue (it seemed to be close to a hot glue consistency).  Make sure that you cut where the glue and the trim meet.

Now this is the part that is very important.  The trim will come off very easily and without cracking the mirror if you pull it away from the mirror.  Do NOT try to bend it away from the mirror from front to back.  Just pull it away.

After I removed the trim I cleaned the mirror with a little Windex:)

Now for the frame:

If you have never owned a saw, this is the perfect tool for you to purchase!

It will make this project so easy and it is the perfect starter saw if you are interested in building!

I purchased 2 1×4 white wood boards and cut down 4 pieces with 45 degree angles at each end to build the frame.

2 @ 48″ (long point to long point)

2 @ 1 7 1/4″ (long point to long point)

This was the fun part for me because it was soooo easy:)  I flipped the boards over so that the bad sides were showing and glued the frame together with Gorilla Glue wood glue.  To keep them together while the dried, I used my staple gun (purchased years ago at Hobby Lobby).  It worked like a charm!

After the glue was dry, I flipped the frame over and stained it with Rust-Oleum dark walnut stain.  I let one coat sit for about 10 minutes!

For the final step, I attached the mirror to the back of the frame with Liquid Nails (I applied the liquid nails to the back of the frame (edges closest to the middle) and laid the mirror on top of it).  A little goes a long way.

I decided to prop it up next to my Pottery Barn Inspired Media Console🙂

I just love easy and cheap projects!  $15 and 1 hour for a decorative mirror is a steal:)  And the versatility is endless!  I would love one hanging on a wall in my house or even over my mantle!

If you love this I would LOVE your pins;)

Also, be sure to keep up with the Shanty Sisters on Facebook!

Ashley

1. Shannon on January 26, 2016 at 10:28 am

I’m not sure what I did wrong here but my frame is way to small for my mirror 🙁
    Can you show me a close up of what size mirror you bought? I thought I got the exact same one from Walmart but apparently not. Please help!

2. Liz on October 15, 2014 at 5:37 pm

It looks great! I am so proud of myself! I followed the instructions step by step and it worked perfectly! I did this in my NYC studio apartment! If I could do this here, you can do it anywhere! Thanks so much!

• PamperingForYou on August 24, 2015 at 11:08 am

what did you use to attach your mirror to the wall? will there be enough overlap to use something like a d ring?

3. Guest on October 15, 2014 at 5:34 pm

It looks great! Thank you so much, I followed your instructions step by step! I did this in my studio apartment in NYC! If I could do it here, you can do it anywhere! I am so impressed with it and I know it will wow people!

4. Guest on September 14, 2014 at 7:10 pm

i made the frame a little wider so I could paint chevrons on it. I think it turned out good.

5. Angela Brookshire on February 20, 2014 at 11:51 am

This was such a fun project and mine turned out AMAZING……..EXCEPT FOR ONE THING………The instructions given did not mention anything about STAINING the BACK OF THE WOOD FRAME…so of course, I did not stain the back. THEN, when everything was complete I was horrified to see that the BACK SIDE of the wood that the mirror was glued to was REFLECTING the image of the UNSTAINED WOOD! OMG..I didn’t even think of this happening but it makes total sense that it did! BUT NOW WHAT?? It was glued on WAY TOO GOOD to try to take off and stain the back and reassemble….so I came up with an idea! I leaned the mirror against the wall and took a paintbrush and brushed some more stain into the space between the frame and the mirror on the lower edge – hoping gravity would help get that stain down in there good…and THANK GOD! IT WORKED!!! You can see in this picture the left side of the frame shows theback of the wood reflecting and the bottom is where I put stain into the space to stain the backside. OVERALL LOVED THIS PROJECT AND WILL DO MANY MORE! But i will stain the back edge of my wood next time 🙂

• YGB Azar on February 12, 2017 at 4:00 pm

OMG I’m SO glad I decided to read through the comments! I plan on doing this this week and I probably wouldn’t have thought of that problem. Smart thinking to make the stain drip into place!

• Angela Brookshire on February 12, 2017 at 5:59 pm

yes! reading the comments have saved me on many projects thats why I made sure I made this comment, hoping it would help someone else!

6. David on February 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm

HI. I am a little confused on the size of the boards to begin with. Can you please clarify this portion? In other words, when you bought wood at the store did you just buy three 4 foot 1 X 4’s?

I purchased 2 1×4 white wood boards and cut down 4 pieces with 45 degree angles at each end to build the frame.

2 @ 48″ (long point to long point)

2 @ 1 7 1/4″ (long point to long point)

• BravoLover10 on October 10, 2017 at 9:27 pm

I know this is old but just in case.. I think when she said 2 1×4’s she meant 8′ boards.

7. Mary J Swisher on January 10, 2014 at 9:54 pm

What was the over-lap of the mirror to the frame? I’m also very interested in that entertainment center – very cool!

8. Bridget Koenitzer on December 31, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Hi! Quick question. I have read and reread this post and all the comments and can’t seem to figure out your measurements. If you cut your wood 48″ long point to long point, then your side pieces would take up 7″ of your mirror which leaves only 5″ of mirror showing width wise. Or am I missing something? With the mirror framed, what are the dimensions of the mirror? Thanks!

9. Kathie Rose on December 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Is there a way to print out the directions??

10. Laura on December 4, 2013 at 12:27 pm

This looks great, and I think I’m going to try it! But I have a beginner’s question. You wrote “To keep them together while the dried, I used my staple gun (purchased years ago at Hobby Lobby). It worked like a charm!” Do you mean you stapled the wood pieces together while they were drying? Thanks.

11. Deanna Rayburn Hobza on September 11, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Hello…I am going to attempt to make one of these, is there a way to attach picture hangers on the back? I was hoping to tack them on the wood frame before fixing the mirror to the wood. THANKS!

12. Sarah Coggins on March 22, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Thanks for sharing this idea! I made one for my son’s playroom. Shared on my blog here with a link back to your post.

13. Felicia-May Stevenson on March 18, 2013 at 3:24 pm

This is awesome. I purchased a very big mirror yesterday at a going out of business sale for 5$ and wanted to make a frame for it. Thanks for the tutorial!

14. Sarah on February 17, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I fell in love with mirror. the fact it adds just the right touch and can be used in any room is great! My husband and I completed this project together with the new Kreg Jig that my sweet husband bought me for Valentine’s Day!! So in love that that thing! i’d say our first project went great! 🙂 thanks for the great idea!

15. Guest on February 17, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Love this mirror! My husband and I just completed this project this weekend! so excited to have it our home!

16. Tracey on February 5, 2013 at 10:40 am

Can’t wait to try this for my daughters new apartment. She wanted a mirror for her room

17. Valerie Phillips Ott on February 4, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Brills! It’s my Craft of the Week, and when I make mine, I’ll link to you then, too. http://homemademodern.blogspot.com/2013/02/craft-of-week-huge-leaning-mirror.html

Thanks ever so much for this inspiring post!

• Shanty2Chic on February 7, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Thanks Valerie! Loved your post!! So cute and can’t wait to see your version:)
      Sent from my iPad

18. Brendle L. Wolfe on January 23, 2013 at 5:45 pm

My spouse and I attempted to do this and the frame turned out great, but we had trouble getting the cheapo frame/backing off the mirror and broke two in the process. I have another mirror but havn’t touched it in fear of breaking another. Every store we tried seems to have mirrors will backs/frames that are impossible to get off? Any advice on this.

19. Sam on December 28, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I love the mirror and the vase in front of it. Does anyone know where I can get the vase and what the price is? Thanks!

20. Myrna Carter on December 27, 2012 at 9:06 am

I’ve been looking for ideas for my cheap mirror. This is awesome!

21. Gwen Whitfield on December 13, 2012 at 10:11 am

I just found two realllly ugly mirrors at the Salvation Army! I can’t wait to update them!

22. Hollie Howard on December 5, 2012 at 4:19 am

This is the first DIY wood project I have ever done! Thank you for your great site! I look forward to doing more projects from your site. 🙂

• Nicole Joy on June 19, 2015 at 11:34 am

What is this tool you used to create the 45 degree angles?

• Megan Burrell on September 14, 2015 at 3:53 pm

That’s a Mitre Box. I had to look it up because it looks like the perfect tool for this project!

23. Catherine Cooper Ehlinger on November 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I used acetone to get the glue off the plastic on my third mirror, so much easier.

• Shanty2Chic on November 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Good to know! Thank you Catherine:)

24. Brittany Landers Sorensen on October 26, 2012 at 10:14 am

where did you get your awesome vase thing that is in front of the mirror?

25. Cori Anderson on October 18, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I’m working on my mirror right now – the stain is soaking in as I type. I did have one problem though. My mirror from Walmart was 49″ long. I hadn’t bothered to look at the measurements and cut the wood to the lengths you’d listed, assuming that I had the same mirror as you did because mine was also from Walmart, was $5 (well, $5.99 or something like that), and looked the same as the one in the picture. It only cost an extra $5 to buy more wood and I’m sure I’ll use the original cuts for something else, but it was a good lesson in double checking to make sure that the measurements listed for a project are accurate for your materials.

Thanks for sharing though. I’m so excited to see my finished product!

• Maris Lee on January 21, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I had the same thing happen to me. Very annoying to get wood cut and realize you can’t use it.

I suggest adding a warning to the post telling people to measure their own mirror.

• James Conley on July 27, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I would think measuring your own mirror would be common sense..

• gwennie on February 10, 2013 at 2:15 pm

my thought is that you could have bought a glass cutting tool and learned how to cut off an inch AND gained a new tool!

26. Sheila on October 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm

This is so great…next project on my list. Can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!!

27. Brittany Hart on September 28, 2012 at 8:14 pm

did you put anythiing on the back of it so the mirror wouldn’t break?

28. Ally V on September 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm

This is so great! And I love that you take the time to respond to people’s comments, it really helped answer some of the questions I had. I’m going to try this with some mirrored closet doors that I have laying around the house. I’ll definitely have to get some thicker wood but I love the process you created!

29. Kassandrademongin on September 14, 2012 at 10:18 am

My liquid nails is drying!! Let’s hope this turns out okay!!!!

30. Anna on September 5, 2012 at 8:04 pm

OMGosh! This is so neat. Funny I bought a similar hand saw & box, because I wanted to try something like that. I still haven’t done it. But glad I saw your pin, & blog. I will now be braver and try it. Thanks so much. Do you think that it will work on a bathroom mirror?

31. Licorice Michaels on August 28, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I tried this with an Ikea mirror (very heavy) last month and it looked fabulous. But the other day the frame fell off the mirror and broke :(. I had used Liquid Nails “Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive” (HD guy convinced me it would work better). So I tried Liquid Nails “Mirror Adhesive”, waited the required 3 days, and the mirror fell off the frame the next day (I had it leaning against a wall on the floor, so no major damage this time).

I see you used Liquid Nails Paneling. I thought it said it wasn’t intended for mirrors in the fine print? Before I go out and buy yet another adhesive, could you please let me know if yours is still intact, and if you think a heavier mirror would do just as well with the Paneling glue? I’ll be beyond sad if it doesn’t end up working – it was absolutely GORGEOUS, I was in love with my mirror.

TIA!

• Shanty2Chic on August 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Hi,
      I have only used Liquid Nails for paneling. I have used it on so many mirrors in my house (even with MDF) and they r still strong today! In fact, I will have to replace my mirrors if I ever want to get rid of the frames because they r stuck on there good! I suggest using a good amount and if you will place the wood on the mirror with the L.N. on it, pull it away and then place it back, it will make it that much stronger. It’s a trick our dad taught us and we always do it!

• Licorice Michaels on August 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Awesome, thanks! I will definitely try the LN Paneling this week. I prefer to put the LN on the wood frame, as you did in the tutorial, then lay the mirror on top (I figure the heavy mirror and gravity would help it stick better). I will do it that way unless you think placing the wood on the mirror, pulling it away and then putting it back would work better….?

• Shanty2Chic on August 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Either way, the idea is to mix the glue and then stick again!

• pearson on May 26, 2013 at 7:38 pm

You should be able to use mirror clip holders on the BACK after your LN has dried. These are the same mirror clips that are used all the time by builders to hold up wall mirrors in bathrooms (usually w/o LN). Except you are using the mirror holders on the backside of the mirror where they are not seen.

• Lisa Faulkner Gosselin on August 3, 2013 at 2:56 pm

You might also put silicone all around outside edges of the mirror (backside) for extra security.

32. christine on August 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Love your site – this was my first project and it turned out great. Thanks for the awesome idea!

33. Pine Tree Home on August 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm
  34. Jen on August 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm

My husband and I just finished staining the wood! It looks so good and was SO easy! Did you put any polyurethane on it?

• Shanty2Chic on August 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Awesome:)). I didn’t… I tend to just Poly when it is a table top or a piece that will see wear. Please send us pics:))

35. Nicole on August 15, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Just tried to do this and had the hardest time getting the original frame off of the mirror. I used the exact same mirror as you, and already bought all of the wood any everything. I tried to score it a few times on the corners, I’ve used two different brand new razor blades and the frame won’t budge. Actually, I now have a large crack in the mirror and have to throw it away and buy a new one. It was supposed to be for my college dorm, but now I will just have to buy a new one once I move in. This was a great idea, and super cute, but now has cost me more than just $15.

• Shanty2Chic on August 15, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I’m sorry! We have had many people send pictures with theirs completed and a few complain about the glue? Maybe some are more difficult than others?

• Shanty2Chic on August 15, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Just had a crazy thought… On the next one maybe try ironing over the glue (with a cloth between the iron and mirror) and then try to score. This might make the glue softer?

• christine on August 27, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I had the same problem but chose to glue it to the wood frame as purchased. Worked great. You have to paint the back side of the wood frame. The space caused by the plastic frame allows the mirror to reflect the back of your wood frame but it is a cool added affect.

• Catherine Cooper Ehlinger on November 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Acetone acetone acetone. Breaks up the glue and doesn’t damage the mirror or eat the sliver off the back.

• Carrie on October 13, 2016 at 10:49 pm

You can use an iron to melt the glue. Although, this will get glue on the iron, so you wouldn’t be able to use it again for clothes unless it was fully cleaned.

36. Suz on August 7, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Is the wood supposed to entirely sit on the mirror with no overhand? With my 14″ 7/8″ x 48″, that doesn’t leave much mirror showing.

• Shanty2Chic on August 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm

That is the way I did mine. That is the one pictured. You can always modify:)

37. Lauren on August 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm

SO glad I found this on Pinterest! I just bought a mirror from Target and can’t wait to try this with it. I’m new to blogging and am glad I found yours! Check mine out 🙂

2nd Grade Teacher, Chef-in-Training, Wannabe Southern Belle

The Sweetest Thing

38. Jana on July 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Where did you buy the wood for the frame and how much it cost?

39. Olivia on July 19, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Just a note to the other commenters: I got my mirror at Big Lots and it cost me $15, but then went to target and found a similar mirror for under $5! Also, I had a question about a polyurethane top coat: the rustoleum stain recommends you use one, but I didn’t see that you did, so I was wondering if you thought it is unnecessary? thanks so much! great idea by the way!!

40. Amanda||Eclectic Snapshots on July 17, 2012 at 10:37 am

This is fabulous! I just moved into a new house and have been on the hunt for a full length mirror …. was the mirror $5 in stores? Online has a price of $15.

• Shanty2Chic on July 17, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hi Amanda! Thanks so much! Yes, they are $5 in stores!! Not sure about online:)
      Sent from my iPad

41. Jessica Judyski on July 16, 2012 at 11:59 am

This is quite possibly the best mirror makeover I have found. Thanks for the step by step tutorial as well as links to the tools of the trade. I’m definitely asking for the saw for my birthday next month 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on July 17, 2012 at 10:40 am

Thank you Jessica! What a fun birthday present:))

Sent from my iPad

42. Cassandra on July 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I have one of these cheap mirrors and it is broken along one of the edges… would I be able to use that or should I get a mirror that has all of its edges? I couldn’t tell if the frame covers the edges or not!

Thanks!

• Shanty2Chic on July 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Yes! You definitely can use that mirror:)

43. Sheena on July 7, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I just started this project and am in the process of removing the original frame from the Walmart mirror. Did you have a difficult time getting the glue detached from the original frame? It seems that when I am doing this it is not giving way so easily. Thanks 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on July 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Hi sheena,
      I scored the glue line several times especially at the corners. The frame pulled off easy.
      Sent from my iPad

44. Meg on July 3, 2012 at 8:46 am

I’m confused about the measurements. I went to make this but something didn’t seem right when I went to buy the wood. I’m assuming 1×4 is 1 ft x 4 ft. It says you bought 2 of those. That would only give you enough wood to make the 2 sides at 48 inches (4 ft=48 inches) each correct? So I would need to buy extra wood to make the shorter top and bottom piece? Maybe I’m missing something here.

• Shanty2Chic on July 3, 2012 at 9:04 am

Hi, you purchase a 1×4 @ 8ft. They are called 1×4’s because they are 3/4″ thick and 3.5″ wide. So, you will purchase 2- 1×4’s at the standard 8ft long. Hope this helps.

45. Stefani on June 28, 2012 at 9:13 am

Could you do this with a jigsaw? I was recently talked out of buying a hand saw & mitre box similar to yours by the home depot lady and I bought a jigsaw instead. I’m scared to plug it in but I’m ready to get crafting!

46. Shermika on June 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Ashley you are the bomb girl! So glad I found this pin on Pinterest! We have a cheapo mirror that we were going to throw out, but the sis and I may spruce that little baby on up. I’m guessing we can get wood cut from Lowe’s or somewhere? We don’t have a hand saw and I surely don’t want to cut my fingers (I’m clumsy) 😉

47. Monica on June 26, 2012 at 9:52 pm

This is amazing – I’ve been scared to actually cut wood myself (get the hubby to do it), but you make it look so easy! Definitely going to try.

48. Monica on June 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm

49. orangesugar on June 18, 2012 at 10:17 am

What a great idea? I have to do this to my cheap mirror.

• Ashley on June 24, 2012 at 6:25 am

Thank you so much!!

50. Michelle on June 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I made this today & it turned out great; thank you so much for sharing your step by step instructions!

• Ashley on June 24, 2012 at 6:35 am

Awesome Michelle! Thanks so much for sharing. We’d lover for you to email it to us so we can share it with our Facebook friends;)

51. Hilary on June 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Nice work! I own the same miter box at home and I often use it to frame my canvases.

52. Shiron on June 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm

This is such a great idea!! I am so stealing this for the wall in our master bedroom….perfect weekend project – YAY

53. Chelsy Wilson on June 4, 2012 at 7:24 pm

My husband got me a large mirror from work a year ago. I have really wanted to add a wide frame around it but had no idea where to start. I am so excited about finding this post and can’t wait to try it this weekend! Thank you so much for sharing.

54. Leeza on June 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm

One of the best DIY projects I’ve read! I’ve been looking for a classy mirror like this for a while (instead of my ugly walmart one) for the bedroom! I’ll definitely be transforming it soon!

55. Shelley on May 31, 2012 at 5:11 am

Love the mirror. Just a note. If you’ve gone to that much trouble to make your own beautiful mirror, don’t use Windex spray on it. The glass/mirror businesses tell you that is the quickest way to ruin an expensive mirror. Not sure an inexpensive one would hold up either. The windex gets in between the backing,the glass and the mirrored part and eats away at it turning it black. I have two mirrors this has happened to. :-\

56. Katherine on May 30, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I love this! This reminds me of the IKEA mirror I have in my living room that I thought I had gotten for a decent price at $100. I’ve had a mirror in my closet that I ripped the plastic trim from for years! I’m so doing this on Friday since its my day off. wooh whoo!

57. Mackenzie Smith on May 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY adorable!! and i cant wait to try it!! (a lil nervous, but i’m going for it! i’ve never operated a saw before) ok, but for the wood–you buy 2 1X4 pieces and cut the 2 shorter (17 1/4″ pieces) pieces off and that leaves you with the 2 @ 48″ and the 2 @ 17 1/4″? is that right? I just want to make sure–because i was thinking the 4 ft boad would only total 48 inches so if i cut any off–then it wouldnt be long enough? just wanting to make sure i buy enough wood!! thanks so much!!

mackenzie

58. Marguarite on May 20, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I have one of those mirrors and the frame FELL off so I was going to pitch it….Then I saw this blog post and figured I’m already a 1/4 way to a beautiful mirror! Thanks for the great idea. 🙂

59. Julie M. on May 20, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Sweet! I used the same little miter saw to cut all of the millwork when I fixed up my kitchen.

: )

Julie M.

60. Brooke on May 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I LOVE this!! Did anyone put a clear coat over the stain or you don’t have to??

Thanks!!

61. Lauren H on May 17, 2012 at 7:33 pm

OK, moved into a rental several months ago and unpacked everything…except one of these mirrors. Realized in the past several weeks that I don’t have a floor length mirror and have been meaning to unpack it. NOW I’m really motivated to do it!!! AND it’s an excuse to use my Kreg jig and pewter glaze that I have on hand. Yeah!

Love it and TFS, Ashley!

62. Anne Ralston on May 17, 2012 at 4:46 pm

This looks fantastic! I would really like to do this project, I have the same mirror that you started with:) I just had one quick question, the length for the top and bottom of the frame is indicated at 7 1/4″(long end to long end) but that seems a little short, I just wanted to double check that that is the correct dimension before cutting my wood. Thanks for your help!

• Ashley on May 17, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Hi Anne! Thank you do much for catching that! It should read 17 1/4″!!

• Anne Ralston on May 18, 2012 at 7:18 am

Thank you so much! I am so excited to make this frame!

63. Pam B on May 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I’ve been trying to figure out how to gussy up one of those cheapo mirrors to hang on the back of my bathroom door for a couple years now. That is the LAST piece of my bathroom remodel. I’ll be painting the frame a glossy red to go with the other accents in my black/white/red bathroom. Can’t wait to get it done now! Thanks!

64. Lisa Williams on May 16, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Lovely just what I was looking for.Thanks to the author for taking his time on this one.

65. Janet on May 15, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Have a cheapie mirror hanging in the bathroom. Have the stain from the centerpiece with the bottles that was my first project from you all! Off to HD tomorrow, just checked availability and they have alot at my store. Thanks for the tip. Darling!

66. Natalie on May 15, 2012 at 8:54 pm

GENIUS !! I love this idea ! totally trying it out 🙂

Natalie

67. Rebecca on May 15, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I love everything y’all do on this blog. I would love to start building, ( I already craft / paint simple things now, but there is only so much you can do if you refuse to build). How did you get started? Are there any particular projects that are great for first-timers?
    Thanks!

68. Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 7:17 pm

LOVE THIS and YOUR PAGE! I have two of these mirrors and they are sooo tacky but, good for make-up in the morning. This will be the perfect way to make it look chic! 🙂

69. Allison on May 15, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Where did you get that adorable vase that you have set up infront of the mirror?

70. Laurie on May 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Love the mirror! Thank you for the inspiration!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thanks so much Laurie!

71. Tiffany on May 15, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I LOVE your mirror!! I’m just a little confused with the last step… Gluing the mirror to the wood… So you just put the glue on the outer edge of the mirror and then placed it againest the back side of the wood frame? Thank you for sharing ALL your wonderful ideas!!

TIFFANY

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Thanks Tiffany! Yes on the glueing! I actually put the Liquid Nails on the back of the frame (to make sure it didn’t show on the mirror) and laid the mirror face down on the glue:)

72. Pepsigirl13 on May 15, 2012 at 11:47 am

Wow, that is a gorgeous rehab! Where does one buy a $7.98 miter box/saw combo? Big box store? I live in New England, and love your creativity!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thanks so much! This particular saw is at Home Depot but most hardware stores carry them:)

73. jessika on May 15, 2012 at 10:50 am

so simple and easy! I should do this.

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thank you! You totally should:)))

74. Tips On Painting on May 15, 2012 at 7:34 am

Great idea and I know just where I want mine to go when finished. I’m going to paint mine to match the decor of the room though. Wouldn’t a mirror this size be great in the mud/ coat room? Then you could have one last look to check your outfit before you left the house.

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Great idea!! Thank you:))

75. Amy M on May 15, 2012 at 6:52 am

This is just perfect for my hallway! love love love! I love everything on your site, just wish I had time to make it ALL! : ) Thanks for the inspiration. xo!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

76. Kayla on May 15, 2012 at 2:25 am

Dang. I can’t see the pictures because of the ad. Love your blog;)

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Thank you Kayla! We are working on that right now;)

77. Brooke on May 14, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Love the mirror, DESPISE the new ad! For some reason it refuses to close no matter how many times I click close. So it just follows me around blocking all your pretty pictures! Perhaps you could let your ad agency know there’s a glitch. I’m running a Mac OS 10.5 with a Firefox browser.

Great project!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Thanks so much Brooke! We are in the process of working that out right now;)

78. Pat on May 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I have that cheapy mirror and been trying to figure out what to do with it and where to find one like your ‘done’ version…now I know!! Thank you so much for sharing!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Awesome Pat! Thanks so much:)

79. Erin Stevens aka nanasrcool on May 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day. Mine was great!

I am new to this blogging stuff. A blog I read alot nominated me for the “Versatile Blogger award”. I had to choose 15 blogs that I discovered and follow often. Yours was on the top of my list. Please go check it out!

I know you are probably very very busy and I just wanted those blogs that inspire me so much to know that I appreciate all their hard work and thank them for teaching me so much!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Thank you so much Erin;) We appreciate that!

80. Jennifer on May 14, 2012 at 6:13 pm

LOVE all your projects. This is one I should try. I have that ugly mirror.
    FYI the add running on your page wont close when I hit close and it’s hard to see all your pictures/words…

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thank you Jennifer! (We are in the process of correcting the ad issue;))

81. Lisa @ Creative Raisins on May 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Beautiful Mirror, Definitely a step up from the other one.

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thank you Lisa!

82. Sherri on May 14, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I am inspired by your blog and all of your DIY projects that now I want to re-do my entire living room. My husband might not like after this… LOL… but I LOVE you! I have a whole new idea for my room now. Thanks so much! Now I just need to get all my owns tools so I don’t have to bug my hubby 🙂

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks so much for sharing Sherri! Good luck;)

83. knuckstermom on May 14, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I love gorilla glue-that stuff holds ANYTHING!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

YES it DOES:)

84. Lesley on May 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Great Idea. I have been looking for a floor mirror for a while and nothing seems to match my decor. Nice to know it is so easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks Lesley!

85. Delina on May 14, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love it! I’ve been wondering how to do this. I’ve pinned similar mirrors and just couldn’t figure out how to make it happen. You are the best for providing step-by-step instructions. I’m hoping my only cost will be the liquid nails. Thanks so much! Pinning!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Thank you so much Delina! You are too sweet!

86. Mel on May 14, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I’m so going to do this for my builder grade mirrors in the bathrooms!

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Great idea Mel! Email us pics when you get done so we can share with our FB friends!

• Toni Corum on May 25, 2012 at 6:51 am

I would love to see how you do it. I have contractor mirrors in every bathroom at my house and I hate them!!!

87. Pine Tree Home on May 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Wow, I’ve been moving one of those cheap mirrors around and Hubs said what are you doing with that? the other day. Now I have a plan.

• Ashley on May 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm

LOL! Send us pics when you are done:)))

• Gary Barnett on July 3, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I have the wood cut to size, stained, and ready to go but have broken TWO of these mirrors so far. lol Every time I try to pull form the side they snap.

• Shanty2Chic on July 3, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Hmmm, make sure you are scoring the glue that is holding the frame really well. Mine pulled right off after cutting the glue… Hope this helps!

• Gary Barnett on July 3, 2012 at 11:19 pm

My mirrors have small staples at each corner along with the tough glue around the trim. It’s the same mainstays mirror but the glue is hard to cut through and remove trim without snapping the mirror.

• Suz on August 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm

If my mirror is 48″ long and 11 7/8″ inches wide, what measurements should the wood be? If the wood is cut 48″ (long side to long side”, isn’t that too short to fit on a 48″ mirror? I’m all set to start and don’t know how to proceed!

• Shanty2Chic on August 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Those are the measurements I used. You will be using part of the mirror to attach the 1×4’s. The top and bottom edge of the mirror run even with the back of the 1×4’s. Hope this makes sense!

• Suz on August 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I’m sorry, I feel like such a moron. This is my first attempt at making anything with wood. If the longest measurement of the wood is 48″, wouldn’t it have to be placed with the long edge exactly at the edge of the mirror (which is also 48″)? In other words, the wood would be fully resting on the mirror. If that’s the case- then the mirror not covered by wood would be 14 7/8 minus 2 x the width of the frame. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help-