Hello Shanty lovers.  I am Beckie from Infarrantly Creative and Knock Off Décor.  I am a DIY girl at heart living in the land of corn and The Colts. 

   Becky on Set

The thing I am most known for is my knock off projects and my Roadkill Rescue projects, where I take curbside finds and transform them into beautiful and usable décor.  Today I thought I would show you one!

I got this hutch from a rental house where the tenants had been evicted and left a bunch of stuff behind. This was heading for the trash can when I came along and snatched it up.  IMG_1298















It was missing a knob and the top part of the hutch had chunks of wood missing. Plus it was ugly! Nothing screams “I want my MTV!” like parquet. Can we say 1982?!?! In order to hide the missing chunks I got the brilliant idea to cover it with paint sticks. It was a “use-what-I-have-kinda-day,” and they were a decent height to cover up the unsightly missing chunks.IMG_1483


I cut it to size and sanded off the writing.



Then using some brad nails I attached it to the hutch. I added some wood filler to hide the nail holes and the endge. After painted, you wouldn’t even know there was a train wreck behind it.


I gave the whole piece a lighting sanding with 180 grit sandpaper. Then I taped it all up and gave it a fresh coat of black acrylic paint in a satin finish.


The “parquetness” of the lower cabinets really bothered me. It totally dated this piece even after it was painted. So I decided that beaded wallpaper would be perfect to cover the “parquetness” and modernize this piece.


I got some cheap beaded wallpaper from Menards that I would not recommend using on your walls. But for this project it was good enough. After soaking the wallpaper for 5 seconds I let it sit for 10 minutes. It seemed like it resized itself, which drove me bananas.  I applied it to the cabinet surface smoothing it in place and caulked the sides to hide the edge. After about 8 hours of drying I painted it.

IMG_1488 DSC_2556

I was afraid the hutch would look like a big, black, blob in the game room so I decided to add a pop of color to the top glass doors. I removed the glass panes and then I got some fabric from Joann Fabrics and ironed it and attached it to the door frame with my air stapler.




I sprayed the hinges with some of the black spray paint and added some knobs that I had left over from another project and screwed them in place. 




  Love Roadkill Rescue projects?  Come check some more out at Infarrantly Creative

Hutch to Puppet Theater


Vintage TV to a Console Table


Hutch to Pottery Barn Catalina Bookshelf Knock Off


Ashley and Whitney Blog post signature
Become a VIP Insider
Stay up-to-date on all the new project, free plans and new products available for you!

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  1. Really great article with very interesting information. You might want to follow up to this topic!?! 2012

  2. Great job! I like that you did away with the parquet pattern. I have been tempted so many times to pick up some roadside cast offs. But I’m always scared somebody will come along and say that they didn’t mean it for trash or that they were there first etc. Guess, I’d better get bolder if I want some cool pieces to rescue 🙂

  3. That came out really great! Love the addition of the bead board and fabric. 🙂 My dad picks up stuff from the road all the time. We call it Roadside Furniture Outlet. lol I picked up my first piece a few years ago and we just revamped it this weekend. It’s very exciting. 🙂

  4. Looks great! I definitely need to think outside the box more often. I am sure I have passed up many things that you would make awesome! thanks for the inspiration!

  5. Ingenious!! i would have seen that and thought, trash, not worth it, but awesome job!