Hope you all had a great weekend and Memorial Day. I feel like I got more done today than I have the last 4 months. Pregnancy.
With little bit on the way, I decided it might be time to find a place to put him. This seems like an easy task, but for me it involves a big game of musical rooms. Remember my really cute craft table in the loft?
Well… It’s days at my house are over. That loft will serve as the kids’ playroom. The kids’ playroom now will become the oldest girls’ room once I build a closet in the back of it. Before I can build a closet in the back of it I have to empty all the toys out. I have to empty the loft to set up a new playroom. Do you see a pattern here?
Before I could do any of that I had to find a place for all my
junk really important craft items.
That leads us to our next picture. Be warned… I’m keeping it real here. Sadly, very real. I have a great closet space under my stairs just outside my kitchen. Until today it was the home of my trash can, vacuums, and about 2,458 “shanties” that I have picked up over the last 2 years and never managed to make chic. It’s got great space but it’s an odd shape and and needed some revamping. I am a kitchen crafter anyway so this would become my new really important craft item closet.
Here’s the before… Don’t judge. Ok, do.
Yah, I know.
So, today I decided to build some shelves and clean this baby out. I started by cleaning it out and donating about 3/4 of it. That left me with a clean slate.
I decided to build one deep shelf along the back and 3 narrow shelves on the left side. I started by measuring 18″ from the ground and attaching 1×3’s to the wall. I used my stud finder to make sure they were anchored in a stud.
I had some extra mdf from a previous project I used for this shelf. I just measured it and used the circular saw to cut it. I had my helper test for sturdiness.
Then I was ready for my side shelves. I found these babies for right around $1 at Lowe’s. I bought 6 of them.
I found my studs on the side wall, measured the right height for the boards and worked from the bottom up. I did angle my boards off in the front to avoid any booboos with the kids.
I got two shelves up and then stopped to feed her
After that I attached my top board and I was set. I did use a serious amount of caulk at this point to cover up a few imperfections. Here is the new really important craft item closet drying.
I did get it all painted and I will show you that in my next post. For now, I am just enjoying being able to step into this closet! Woohoo for that!
Thanks so much for stopping by!! Have a great short week!