Hey there! So, for the past 2 years, I have been trying to add more custom features to our home. This week I tackled our kitchen island even though it wasn’t in my plans for a few more months.
See that pretty circle on the left? That’s the reason for the early revamp:) Long story short….I tried to touch-up paint around our house with our old paint from the builder and it was darker than our walls so….. our walls were pretty much two-toned throughout the ENTIRE house (note to self: test an inconspicuous area next time;) I cut a GIANT chunk of wall from our island, had it matched at Home Depot…nightmare over:)
With the chunk of wall back in place, it was time to revamp the island:) After having kids eat at the bar for 2 years, it had definitely seen better days. I actually didn’t realize how nasty it was until I started demolition!
I started by removing the old (dirty) baseboard with a utility knife. (Purchased at Home Depot for about $2.00) I just cut a seam along the caulk line.
Next, I pried the baseboard away from the wall by hammering a flat head screwdriver behind it.
Once the demolition was complete, I drew out where I wanted my battens placed.
I used pre-primed MDF boards for the battens because they are very straight, smooth and easy to paint. I used 1×6 for the top and bottom trim and 1×4 for the battens.
I mitered the corners with my compound miter, however, you can buy a miter box and hand saw at a hardware store and do the same.
To attach them to the wall, I applied Liquid Nails to the back side and then nailed it to the wall.
Now for the fun:) I used 1/4″ plywood sheets for the boards. ( I chose to cut the boards down to fit between the battens because it was cheaper and easier).
To cut the board down to size, I used the new Kreg Jig Rip Cut™ and I LOVE IT! It will be available in stores in April and it is only $34.99! It allowed me to cut every board exactly to size, it was super easy takes up very little storage space! It has a guide at the end to keep your cut straight and an adjustable ruler to make your cuts accurate!
I attached the boards to the wall with Liquid Nails and my nailer. (I used a router to cut out spots for the electrical sockets;) I finished by caulking the gaps and painting it my trim color (also matched at Home Depot).
So easy and so cheap! I only spent $50 total and the best part it, I can wipe it down when it gets dirty! (I used a semi-gloss latex paint).
This was so easy and I feel like I got a lot of bang for my buck:) Now I’m off to upgrade more builder grade:) If you love it, I would LOVE pins! Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Ashley