Whitney’s Magnetic Recipe Holder

Hey guys!!  My next project was inspired by my recent love of magnets and galvanized tin.  I decided to create a recipe holder for my kitchen!!
 It’s a cutie!… This is what I did…
I purchased a 1x8x4 at Lowes and a large square dowel…
I also purchased a small craft circle…
My first step was to cut the dowel.  I cut it about 11″ long.  I then used my Gorilla Glue Epoxy to attach the dowel to my wood circle.
I then cut my 1×8 10″ long.  I used the epoxy to attach the 1×8 piece to the front of the dowel.
Then I let it dry a bit…
I used my drill to put a hole in the top for the finial.
And here is was ready for paint!!!
I painted that with Rustoleum American Accents Heirloom White spray paint.  After that was dry I started working on the next step.
I decided to shanty the edges up a bit with my sander and a bit of Minwax Dark Walnut stain…
I then added a bit of Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze… You guys know the routine!!
I found this galvanized roof flashing at Lowe’s…
I cut a piece just a bit smaller than the plaque I attached to the dowel.
I then used my epoxy again to attach the metal to the plaque to the wood piece. I added a silver nail in each
 corner for a bit of shanty-ness!!
Now for my magnets… I used the same super cute Fleur-de-lis wood pieces that Ash used on a previous procect.  I painted and glzed them the same and then used some Gorilla Glue to attach the magnets.
All finished… Now it just needs a great recipe…
It also makes a great picture holder…
What do you think??!  This will be our newest addition to the Shanty Shoppe on Etsy.  After several requests we decided to start offering some of our shanties on Etsy.  You can visit us by clicking on the Shanty Shoppe button on our sidebar or by clicking HERE!!!
Thanks so much for all of your sweet comments on Traci’s Shanty Spotlight post. If you have not had a chance to check it out just scroll down a bit… so fun!!

1. vintagegypsy on August 14, 2012 at 11:20 am

Love this idea.. Seems as though it would make it easier to see a recipe when your hands are covered in who knows what!!!!!

2. Courtney on March 15, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Hey! I have a question!!?? How did you cut the metal flashing. I bought some to do this and it is not workin’ out for me! 🙁 Every time I cut it, it comes out very crooked and not straight at all…just wondering what you did to make it look so great?? Thanks! Love your blog!! 🙂

3. Kaelacey on February 22, 2012 at 11:59 am

Where did you get the bottom and top piece? =]]

4. Karen on January 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm

HI! I found this on Pinterest and instantly fell in love with it. I made one for my in-laws for their Anniversary! I have to say I think it came out great! I attached a recipe card with the “Ingredients for Love” yes a little corny but I think they will eat it up :O)
    Thank you so very much for the tutorial!

5. Emma Hardeman on January 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm

This is so cute! I love it! How did you get the top piece though?

Thanks,
    Emma

6. Erin on December 10, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I was so excited! I received one of these today as a teachers gift! I love that I now have one and I didn't even have to put it together 😀

7. The Noalls on December 6, 2009 at 4:13 am

That is SO cute, and I love that you just thought it up. I so admire creativity!

8. alex216 on November 29, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
    謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

參觀,Thanks

9. A Hot Pink Petticoat on November 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm

AMAZING!!! Hope you don't mind but I had to send a link to this off my party planning blog.

10. Micki on November 23, 2009 at 4:46 am

I absolutely love this! You do fantastic work!

How do you cut the flashing?

11. Wendy @ The Shabby Nest on November 22, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Just darling!! Thanks for sharing!

12. Nicki Mc on November 22, 2009 at 5:21 pm

This is great… I love it.

What are dimensions?

13. Magic Brush on November 19, 2009 at 12:58 am

stinkin' cute!!!!!!

14. seemommysew on November 18, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Cute….I'm hosting a tutorial contest this month and you could enter this…there are some lovely prizes. 🙂

15. jenjen on November 18, 2009 at 4:08 am

Great project. I love that galvanized roof flashing. Very cute.

XOXO
    Jen

16. jascrafts on November 17, 2009 at 11:18 pm

This is a great idea. I will try making one my self. thanks for sharing.

17. Katie on November 17, 2009 at 4:36 pm

OMG these are awesome!!! Did they overall take a long time to make? They don't seem too complicated, if I can get my hubby to help me. I'd love to make some for Christmas gifts!!!

18. sweetpicklesandchocolate on November 17, 2009 at 2:55 pm

OMG! I absolutely have to make one of these! Thanks for showing me how to do it…
    Dena
    sweetpicklesandchocolate

19. tinahead81 on November 17, 2009 at 2:33 pm

that.is.awesome.

20. [email protected] Ranch on November 17, 2009 at 2:22 pm

What a great idea!!! I'm bookmarking this as a gift idea..

21. mary'smom on November 17, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Great idea!

22. Karen- The Graphics Fairy on November 17, 2009 at 12:52 pm

This is darling and so handy too!!

23. Sam on November 16, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Very cute! I think I will make a couple for Christmas gifts! 🙂

24. Its So Very Cheri on November 16, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Very cute. I like the magnets as well-an extra special touch.

Cheri

25. Embellished Bayou on November 15, 2009 at 6:07 am

OMG, another fabulous idea! Thank you for this tutorial, this will be the perfect Christmas gift for my best friend. And the best part is, if I get too lazy to make one myself, I can buy it from your Etsy shop! Yay for you, good luck with your new venture!

26. Kim on November 15, 2009 at 12:21 am

@Cheap Chic Home. This is so cute! Love the fluer de lis (sp?) magnates!

27. Funky Junk Interiors on November 14, 2009 at 5:45 pm

You NEVER disappoint me. This creation is not only adorable to look at, it's useful too!

I love your idea of opening an Etsy for your items. You are going to do fabulous! I was starting to wonder where you put all your fabulous creations and now I know! 🙂

Thanks for linking this up to SNS #5!

Funky Junk Donna

28. ~ RM on November 14, 2009 at 5:08 am

Geez- how did I miss this post??!
    This is such a stinking cute idea. This would be perfect anywhere! Great job- thanks for sharing- it's sure to be duplicated all over!! 😉

29. Court and Britt on November 13, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Love it!!! I am totally going to make those for christmas gifts!!!

30. Sara and Trey on November 13, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Love it!!! What a great idea! Can't wait to do this myself.

31. Linda on November 13, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Wow…you two have done it again…what a cutie you have here! Hope you have a FUN weekend!

Blessings,
    Linda

32. [email protected] Creations by Kara on November 13, 2009 at 8:04 pm

You guys amaze me! I love this project too! 🙂

33. whitealderhome on November 13, 2009 at 8:02 pm

That is so cute, another great craft.

34. Amie on November 13, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Okay so I am learning. I like literally can't wait to see ur new projects each day!! But I have a question on this one. How did you cut the metal? Hope you don't mind the ?

Sending Crafty Hugs,
    Amie

35. Pinkie on November 13, 2009 at 6:18 pm

This is beautiful. I think I just found my Christmas presents for my MIL and SILs. Now I hope I can get my hubby to help me with them. Thanks so much.

36. Stephanie on November 13, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Wow, great job, and a great idea! This would be a great gift for my sister who loves to cook, I am heading over to your etsy shop now!

37. Jill on November 13, 2009 at 5:57 pm

I just love everything you whip up and glue together! This could be my favorite!

38. Cottage on the Hill on November 13, 2009 at 3:52 pm

These would be wonderful Christmas gifts!! Just too cute. I have a receipt book stand but didn't have anything for those little index card receipts…

39. ba and the boys on November 13, 2009 at 2:30 pm

lets pretend im not crafty…
    who do you cut the metal? what tool do i need to get at home depot so i can make this?
    thanks for the great idea-i am making 2!

40. sleepyhead designs studio on November 13, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Love this! What a great gift idea!

41. Jane on November 13, 2009 at 1:43 pm

OK – you know this one is going to be copied all over blogland and let me tell you I will be the first one in line at Lowes today to pick up my supplies. This project fits all my project criteria….easily accessible supplies, inexpensive, straightforward construction, and of course, gorgeous finished project. You girls must dream of these projects in your sleep!
    Thanks,
    Jane

42. Jen Gray on November 13, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Oh I just LOVE this! Great work and so fun!
    JEN xoxo

43. Suesan on November 13, 2009 at 1:27 pm

That is really cute!

44. Dawn on November 13, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Ok, yet another project of yours that I'm going to have to try!!!

LOVE IT!!!

Best of luck with the Shanty Shop!!!

45. Valerie on November 13, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I love this!! What a great idea! I am definately filing this one away at thecraftersfilebox.blogspot.com.

You guys are sooo awesome! Thanks for all your ideas!

46. ba and the boys on November 13, 2009 at 11:55 am

im thinking about making this as a fab christmas gift! thanks for sharing!

47. [email protected] Beneath My Heart on November 13, 2009 at 7:54 am

Whitney,
    That turned out great! I am always losing my recipe cards, so I could definitely use this! Love the tin too.
    Traci

48. Becky the Sign Lady on November 13, 2009 at 7:36 am

Not only is this a cute idea, but Monkey Bread is my favorite!

49. Barbara Jean on November 13, 2009 at 7:35 am

very cute!!

blessings

barbara jean

50. Heidi and Tye on November 13, 2009 at 6:42 am

So cute, I can hardly stand it! You've become one of my favorite blogs ever. :)You make things that are totally my style, but I can never think of them myself! So this is great!

51. Marie on November 13, 2009 at 6:35 am

this project along with the "joy" project you did a few posts back inspired me to look around my pile of stuff, and guess what i found that may serve the same purpose as the 1x8x4 & the craft circle? a paper towel holder: base~~round circle,1X8X4 replacement piece~~the part that the paper towel slides down on(it's round) i'm going to have to make adjustments, and the top of the spindle part already has an opening for the finial.i'll experiment with what i have, thanks for all your inspiration.
    marie

52. Jan @ bobbypinsboardwalk on November 13, 2009 at 6:25 am

This would make yet another wonderful Christmas project! I really need to stop reading and start doing!

53. Country Wings in Phoenix on November 13, 2009 at 6:24 am

Get out of here…
    OMG This is just the cutest thing I have ever seen. You did an awesome job, and so original. Not expensive, and my gosh we all need one. I am going to have to check into this one. I have the perfect place for it.

Now mine ofcourse would have to be red antiqued, because my dining room and kitchen are cherries. Can you see where I am going girls? My gosh, the sky is the limit here.
    What fun.

Love it so much. Thank you for sharing with my tonight. I will send pics when I get mine done. I am thinking what an awesome Christmas gift this would be. I could mark 2 more off my list with this one.

Happy Friday the 13th. Country hugs, Sherry

54. Gina Sisco on November 13, 2009 at 5:50 am

STOP IT!!! You blow me away with all of your ideas, F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S, another Shanty2Chic must copy. You gals need your own book, soon.

55. mommieofthree on November 13, 2009 at 5:45 am

What a cool idea! Especially for those of us with really no wall space in the kitchen. I love it, can't wait to try to make on of my own. Thanks for sharing.
    Michelle

56. Christine on November 13, 2009 at 5:36 am

This is great I love it!

57. Stefanie on November 13, 2009 at 5:31 am

This is so cute! It would make a great gift with a favorite recipe attached! Even to label food at a party!

58. Tonia Hobbs on November 13, 2009 at 4:59 am

Wow! That is so awesome. . I dont even know how to hold a drill! LOL! I have got to get with the program!!