Cheap but Chic Christmas Gift!

Hey Guys!!
So my project is a great gift for neighbors, teachers, friends or family!  Here is the finished product…
It’s a super simple photo, recipe or memo display!
Here is how to make it!
All of these supplies can be found at craft stores and hardware stores.
You will start with some wood ovals and a bag of small candlesticks.  I got mine from Hobby Lobby.  The wood ovals were $.50 a piece and the candlesticks were $2.99 for the bag.
I used e6000 to attach a candlestick to one of my ovals.
For my big piece I used a 2x8x8 from Lowe’s.  Home Depot will cut it down for you if you don’t want to purchase the whole piece.  I cut my wood in 11″ pieces to use for these.  If you don’t have a saw just have Home Depot cut it for you when you buy it… Easy!
I bought these cute scrollies (professional term) from Hobby Lobby to add a little detail.  They were $1.99 for a package of 2.
I used my glue to attach it to the bottom of the wood.  I made two displays going different directions so I could show you both.
I added some e6000 to the now dry candlestick and attached the large wood piece to it.
Drying…
I found these great finials at Lowe’s.  I love them and use them on LOTS.  They are $1.86 for 2.
I drilled a small hole in the top of the wood.  You don’t have to drill a hole but it does make this part much faster!
And added my finial.
I found these clips at Walmart.  They are $1.88 for a pack of 4.
I added some Gorilla Glue Epoxy to one of the clips….
And stuck it to my display.
Here they are ready for some spray paint.
I sprayed both displays with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch.  I used Heirloom White on one and Canyon Black on the other. After they were dry I used my sanding block to shanty the edges up a bit!  Here is how they turned out!
Hope you like them!  They are fun, easy and best of all CHEAP!
If you want to make these for just $5 a piece you need to make 4 of them.  Because the supplies come in bags and groups that is the best way to get more bang for your buck!  I will be giving mine to my kids teachers this year.  My mom is my neighbor so she may just get one too!
Thanks Miss Kari for having us!
U Create
This will be the first of 3 photo display ideas I will be showing you guys this week!  Just in time for Christmas…

post signature

1. Monica Magsam Symchych on June 19, 2015 at 9:11 am

So, my friends and I are having a Pinterest Craft Party and tonight we are doing your craft 🙂 Everyone wanted to make two frames because these are so nice! Turns out Hobby Lobby wasn’t prepared for our craft party! lol! My only question is how long did you let the clip set up before spray painting? We are obviously pressed for time and I’m wondering if we will need to hot glue the clips for times sake? Suggestions?

2. Pinterest Addicted on December 4, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Great idea! I have almost all of the materials to make this, thanks!

3. momtoec on December 13, 2013 at 6:45 am

Can you tell me the size of the finished piece of wood? I’m confused.. 11 inches seems really big. Is that the size, though?

4. Jennifer on July 13, 2011 at 4:38 am

Love, love, LOVE THESE!!! I have a question. You said that the size wood you used for the bigger was was 11 inches. How big did you cut the wood that you used for the white one? It looks smaller than the black one.
    Jennifer

5. Libby on April 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I love this idea and have made several for myself and friends 🙂 I mentioned you on my blog, A Perfectly Crazy Life, at http://aperfectlycrazylife.blogspot.com/2011/04/happy-happy-friday.html. Love your site!

• Shanty2Chic on April 1, 2011 at 7:38 pm

That’s great!!! Thanks so much for the shout out!! 🙂
      Whitney

6. Michelle @ Creative-Outbursts on March 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Came from Restored Interiors. These frames are FABULOUS! I am your newest follower!

7. Lauren and Michele on January 12, 2011 at 6:37 am

Thanks for the great tutorial! I made one for my friend and it turned out super cute! We put it on our blog too :). http://coffeeatthree.blogspot.com/2011/01/clip-picture-frame.html

8. Dee on January 11, 2011 at 4:56 am

Thank you so very much! Turned out very very cute! Now I know what I'm getting tomorrow 🙂

9. Michael - Innkeeper on January 5, 2011 at 1:52 am

you are genius!! these are so great!

10. Corinna on January 4, 2011 at 5:52 pm

awesome! I had no idea you could buy unfinished wood finials at Lowes! Where have you been all my life? 🙂

11. amisparky on December 24, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Thanks for sharing the great idea. I made them for Christmas gifts. I have given one set (tall black, wide white) and they were a big hit! Thanks again!

12. Pam on December 23, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Fantastic idea, simple and lovely…and one I might just have to give a try with. THanks for sharing.

13. Becky on December 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Awesome, fantastic, totally original! Thanks for sharing.

14. Meg on December 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I totally tried to copy this! Yours turned out way better, but then–I was going the super duper-schmooper cheap route! Thanks for the inspiration!

15. Lori on December 17, 2010 at 7:39 pm

You have the best ideas ever!!! I finally got all of my supplies and am in the middle of making 16 of these. I am making these for all of my daycare parents for Christmas!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

16. The Pittsburgh Hites on December 17, 2010 at 6:49 am

Thank you SO much!! I LOVE this idea, and just went out and got the supplies tonight!! The finials are in the lumber department (at my Lowe's), with all the scroll work. They come in 3 sizes, but I was surprised at how big the small ones are! They look GREAT though!!!
    Instead of the little scroll "thingies" we found little snowflakes and beveled wood pieces at Jo-ann's! I LOVE how they look and can't wait to spray-paint them tomorrow!!!

17. reclaimers on December 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I made these and blogged about it for my craft club! 🙂

You can find us here – http://nwareclaimers.blogspot.com

18. PJ @ Home Decor Accents | outdoor Garden Decorations on December 13, 2010 at 8:47 pm

This is absolutely amazing!
    Those picture displays are just too cute.
    How do you come up with such great ideas?

19. Noel on December 10, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I found the finials at my lowes with their other decorative wood pieces. Same aisle as the fence post pieces you can make candle stands from! Sorry Im not more help! I just pulled up the blog on my phone and showed a Lowe's worker (in building materials area) what I was looking for. She took me right to the spot!

20. Bri, Ash and Ty on December 10, 2010 at 6:50 am

The finials I used on mine I got at Hobby Lobby. They are a little bit smaller than Whitney's I think. However, they still turned out super cute : )

21. Anonymous on December 10, 2010 at 5:09 am

These are so cute! I am having a hard time as well trying to find the finials. I have tried every Lowes in the state. Can you tell me where in Lowes you got them.
    Thanks

22. Shauna on December 10, 2010 at 1:34 am

I too am desperately seeking the FINIALS! I have searched online. I have done a barcode search.

PLEASE HELP! I have all the items and no FINIALS 🙁

It's gorgeous! It's going to be my sister in law gift. They don't like me so much, so maybe I can WOW them LOL!

Thank you!

23. Lauren and Nick Miller on December 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I am trying to do these, but I'm having the hardest time finding the finials. I've tried 2 different Lowe's. Where exactly are they in Lowe's?? Thanks so much!!

24. Kiss of Whimsy on December 7, 2010 at 1:11 pm

What a great project, thanks for the idea!

25. Anonymous on December 7, 2010 at 5:22 am

I think I just posted a question for the wrong craft….
    it was actually for this frame. I love it and am in the process of making them for Christmas presents!
    Where exactly did you get the finials for the top?
    Lowes does not seem to carry them…..
    Thanks for the great idea!

Leslie

26. Hackbusch Family on December 7, 2010 at 1:18 am

These would also be neat in the kitchen as recipe card holders. So many neat uses. Thanks for another great idea.

27. Odd Dotty on December 7, 2010 at 1:13 am

I am so in love with this project idea!! It's a perfect grandparent gift. I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

28. Odd Dotty on December 7, 2010 at 1:13 am

29. she wears flowers on December 6, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I LOVE this–thanks for sharing!

30. Sassy Sites! on December 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Adorable idea!! I featured this over at my Christmas party at Sassy Sites! Come by and check it out!

31. Embellish on December 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I absolutely love this project. My sisters and I make homemade gifts for one another every Christmas. I have to make this form them. They would love it!!! Thank you for sharing your creative idea!!!

32. Blessed Mommy of 2 on December 5, 2010 at 6:11 pm

These are SO cute! I am in the process of making them now. Can't wait to give them as Christmas or Birthday gifts this year!!! =)

33. Cole on December 5, 2010 at 3:20 am

Love this idea!! I can't wait to gather all the supplies and start cranking out a few for gifts. Not to mention one or two for myself 🙂

34. Shanty 2 Chic on December 4, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the scrollies!

Mine are 11". I think it's just a taste preference. If you feel they are too big, just cut them down. I bet they would look great smaller too.

Let me know if you have any other questions :-)!

35. Bri, Ash and Ty on December 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm

My hobby lobby was out of those scrollie things so if you have a Michaels near by they care them too! Just wanted to let people know that in case they had a hard time like me finding them : )

Also, Whitney…I'm in the process of making these and feel like the wood block is totally overwhelming. I know I did the exact size you said but just wondering if you felt that way too until you got them all done. Just wondering. I'm contemplating cutting it down from 11" to like 9 1/2" or something. Thanks!

36. Traci@ Beneath My Heart on December 4, 2010 at 4:45 am

I love this idea! I think I might use it for my Christmas mantel. 🙂

37. Haleyuns on December 4, 2010 at 1:05 am

Love this!! Can't wait to make some!! I featured it on my little craft blog too if that's ok.http://
    auntielolocrafts.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Lois

38. kati on December 4, 2010 at 1:05 am
  39. Miss Bear on December 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I love this idea! I want to make some for friends!

Do you have any fun crafty ideas for displaying Christmas cards?? I'm in need of one. 🙂

40. Casii on December 3, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Holy Flip Coolness!

41. Jen (emeraldsunshine.org) on December 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm definitely adding this blog to my reader. 🙂

42. Lindsey and Eric Rarey on December 3, 2010 at 7:19 am

This is such a great idea! I was looking for a great picture frame idea for pictures of my daughter for the Grandparents that wasn't just a boring old picture frame! I already bought the materials the only thing that's killing me is those wooden appliques! No one has them and I don't have a hobby lobby!! 🙁 Thanks for the great Idea, I'm going to make some decorative appliques from Lowe's work tho I think they're too big and the pictures will go over them. You guys are so creative over here I LOVE your posts!

43. Say on December 3, 2010 at 5:30 am

Very cute.. that would look good with my Christmas card attached. Thanks for the idea!

44. Serena on December 2, 2010 at 5:54 pm

So cute!!

45. Katrine on December 2, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I love this! I think I'll make some for sister-in-law gifts. Thank you!

46. MeenyMoe on December 2, 2010 at 3:50 pm

What a wonderful idea! Great way to present a family photo to a family member as a gift! I think it'd be a great way to present a great pic of a pet belonging to a friend! My creative wheels are turning! Thanks! -Karen

47. Lindsay on December 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm

My sister and I were looking for a gift to make our friends for Christmas, and I think you gave us exactly what we were looking for!

48. jenclair on December 2, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Love these! They would make great gifts for anyone, especially since they are handmade. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

49. my {family} is 4ever on December 2, 2010 at 7:15 am

OMGosh! Those are so cute! Wish we had a Hobby Lobby close – even in the same state would be nice! I'm going to try to craft-lift this idea for my "friends & neighbor" gift…hope I can find all the stuff…thanks so much for sharing!
    terina @ goddessofmycottage

50. Mage on December 2, 2010 at 6:09 am

Thats so easy! A clever way of showing creativity with in the margin of budget. I would love to try that one! Love your blog!

aion account

51. MindeeG on December 2, 2010 at 5:48 am

I too would like to know what area of Lowe's you found those finials. I couldn't find them!

52. Kara on December 2, 2010 at 5:11 am

genius!! so pretty!!

53. The Autocrat: Haley on December 2, 2010 at 5:10 am

I love this idea!! I bought a ruffler foot!! It is AMAZING!! I have post coming up about it.

54. Denissa on December 2, 2010 at 5:05 am

Love it!! What a great gift idea!:)

55. Shirley on December 2, 2010 at 4:34 am

Those look great! I love em! I wish I was your neighbor. 🙂

56. Shanty 2 Chic on December 2, 2010 at 4:06 am

Tami… I did that last year:-) Here is my version…

57. Tami on December 2, 2010 at 3:11 am

I have made something similiar to these. I used Metal Sheeting from a local hardware store. This is a magnetic sheet so you can use magnets to hold your recipes, pictures or notes. Just use upholstery tacks to secure.

58. Janet on December 2, 2010 at 3:09 am

This is such a nice gift idea, thank you!

59. Krista on December 2, 2010 at 2:12 am

REALLY love this! I need a hobby lobby near me 🙂

60. Tanya on December 2, 2010 at 2:11 am

These are so cute and probably don't take up a bunch of space like most frames…super cute. I may just have to make a few! Thanks for the inspiration =)

61. - Brittany on December 2, 2010 at 2:07 am

I love this gift idea! So unique an sooo adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Brittany

62. Lee Laurie on December 2, 2010 at 1:53 am

These are so cute! Great idea for all those teachers. I might make some for them and the babysitter too. She would love it painted light pink.
    Thanks for the idea!

63. InMyOwnStyle on December 2, 2010 at 1:52 am

Hi Whitney-

This project is so clever and classic looking – you guys always come up with great stuff using unpainted craft wood pieces.
    My best- Diane

64. Anonymous on December 2, 2010 at 1:52 am

These are absolutely adorable!!! Can't wait to get busy on making these for gifts!!

65. mapleandmagnolia on December 2, 2010 at 1:48 am

These are fantastic! Love them. I'm going to make some and link back to you. Thanks for the inspiration!

66. Boomer, Sabrina and Grant on December 2, 2010 at 1:38 am

CUTE! I will totally try that!! By the way…I have looked for the finials at Lowe's at couldn't find them. Where exactly did you look in the store?

67. Sarah @ The Bird's Papaya on December 2, 2010 at 1:29 am

once again, you guys make something so amazing like this!
    This is beautiful!!

68. Crafty Batches on December 2, 2010 at 1:19 am

Very cute and clever, it's a double whammy!