Changing My Bedding White

Hey everyone!  I’m going against my norm and showing you a project I have yet to finish.  It’s getting there though.  I recently ran across some Pottery Barn bedding pictures that gave me an itch to change up my bedroom.  I love white bedding.  I love Pottery Barn white bedding.  But, with a $400 price tag on the duvet alone 🙁 I had to come up with a shanty version.

That led me on a trip to Ikea with my younger sister.

After she tried on all the baskets hats, we made our way over to bedding.  Sorry for posting these Kyndra :-))

I originally wanted a big, fluffy duvet to cover the bed so I quickly jumped on a white one that Ikea offered for $170 with the filler.  I took it home, opened it up and threw it on my bed only to find that it was way to short on both sides. UGH.

So, I drove back to Ikea the next day to return only to find out that they won’t accept returns on bedding items. 2nd UGH.  I did find a super cute $20 throw that I ended up putting over my tiny duvet at the end of my bed.

I ended up going to Target and finding a simple white quilt that fit my bed perfectly.  It was only $70.

At that point I was ready for my Euro shams but kind of lost on ideas.  Then I got this ad in the mail and fell in l.o.v.e.

So cute, right??  If I had $1000 to spend on a chair I would run out and get me one now.  I did find inspiration for my pillows though… Whoop!

Like it?  I will show you how I made them in my next post.  Don’t worry… I used hot glue 🙂

And here is my bed… As of now.  I still want more pillows for the front but I have to make those and they haven’t come to me yet.

I also have to change up my roman shades a bit…

But, overall I am happy with where I am at now.

Thanks so much for stopping by!  We have such a fun month lined up and we are excited to share it with all of you over the next few weeks so stay tuned!

Have a great day!

1. Professional Cleaners Sydney on January 22, 2019 at 7:11 pm

I really love the ideas from your article. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

2. Jackie Toye on January 14, 2012 at 3:01 am

Love it. the headboard, the bedding, the pillows, the room. Just gorgeous. Now I will need you to let us know how well the hot glue holds up after a washing.

3. Crystal Sargent on May 4, 2011 at 3:30 am

Have you ever tried turning your bedding so the top and end are on the sides? I almost do this everytime I get new bedding just so its long enough to reach the rail. I have to admit I splurged for a pb duvet and it wasn’t so nice when it came, now I have to debate returning it, at the 10% they charged for shipping, I’m scared to waste money! I did find a awesome ruffled white quilt and shams at tjmaxx two weeks ago for 60 and 15 each. STEAL!

4. Screaming Meme on April 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm

In love with your room! Hi, Im Meme from Screaming Meme. I wanted to stop in and let you know about my giveaway series. This week is a slipcover…next week is a surprise…:) I hope you can stop in and sign up for one of them…I look forward to your visit.

Xo, Meme

5. janae on April 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm

LOVE the euro shams (and that FAB ethan allen chair!! We can dream, right?!?!)

6. Lisa on April 25, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Okay, so I’m in love with the white quilt you found at Target. Can I find it online? I went to the store today and didn’t see it. Do you have a link if it is? I’d love to get one. Thanks so much for your inspiration!

7. April on April 23, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Beautiful! It looks so peaceful! I would LOVE to have all white bedding, but with my little munchins jumping on my bed every chance they get, I guess I’ll have to wait till they grow out of it! I would love for you to come link up to my Sew Crafty Party !

8. [email protected] OhhBaby on April 23, 2011 at 7:46 pm

We have white bedding and I LOVE it! It stays white pretty well actually! It looks beautiful!

9. Tonia on April 23, 2011 at 2:37 am

This is wonderful! Looking forward to your tutorial!

10. angelica jackon on April 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I would love a white bedspread, but it wouldn’t stay white long… ;(

11. Carol on April 20, 2011 at 12:11 am

Looks gorgeous!
    Shanty Chic. I like it!

12. Tanya on April 18, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Absolutely beautiful. . . thanks so much for sharing!

13. Denise on April 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Very pretty still have not been to an Ikea…

14. Jane @ Cottage at the Crossroads on April 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Oh I think your bedroom is looking just perfect! I use fabric glue for a lot of projects such as making curtains, adding trim, etc. Works great, but I’ve never washed anything that I’ve glued with it.

15. Jane F @ Atticmag on April 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Lovely pillows and shades. I really thing tone-on-tone works so well. Hope you have a happy Easter. Jane

16. Lindsey on April 16, 2011 at 2:17 am

I love it! I love your lamps also! Where did you find those at? I love your reading all of your girls’ posts!
    Lindsey

17. LdyDy on April 15, 2011 at 8:20 am

Sigh! This is the look I so want in my bedroom!! I have a king size dark cherry sleigh bed I want to paint black. I am halfway there with the white bedding, but seeing your headboard is stirring me to get some paint and start painting! I feel the motivation coming! Coincidentally my oldest daughter and I were planning a visit to IKEA this Saturday! What luck I read your post! I will be on the lookout for more bedding ideas!! Thanks for the inspiration!

18. Sarah Erwin on April 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Oh, and PS I hate that I am 5 hours away from IKEA. Kind of bums me out in the design world! 🙁

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 7:05 pm

That is why you need to come to Dallas, get some coffee and let me take you shopping 🙂 We would get into some serious trouble!

19. Sarah Erwin on April 14, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Whitney! I have ALWAYS wanted a “white room”! I am totally inspired…this is what my guest bedroom will look like one day…well, of course not as cute as YOURS, but something similar. 😉

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Thank you ma’am! I appreciate it 🙂

20. Jennifer on April 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I love white bedding too!

21. Anngela on April 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I ADORE your room–even though you still want to work on it, it looks great as it is. I am addicted to the all-white bedding/bedroom. It looks amazing with the dark brown furniture. And that chair IS to die for!! Your inspiration pillows look awesome also 🙂

22. john in nc on April 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

i was going to suggest that you cut up the ikea duvet that you couldn’t return-
    but then i kept reading and saw you mention hot gluing something-
    but if there was something you wanted to make out of the ikea duvet then maybe you could find someone to sew it for you-

john in nc

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Hey John,
      That’s a great suggestion… I actually do sew though occasionally I like to whip out the hot glue gun 🙂 I may just be gutting it up to make the throw pillows. Thanks!! Whitney

• john in nc on April 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm

i swore off of glue gunning trims when a majorily decorated toy soldier jacket for nutcracker got sent to the cleaners and came back a big old mess –

john in nc

23. Debbie on April 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Love it Whitney. It’s so fresh looking. I love IKEA. Isn’t it wonderful to be so close to one? By the way I have the same throw at the end.of our bed we got at IKEA a couple of months ago and love it.

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Hey Debbie! Thanks! Isn’t that throw great? It’s so cute and I like to take pictures of the baby on it 🙂 Hope you are feeling good!!

24. Libby on April 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I love the white bedding! It looks so fresh! I also really like your furniture 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Thanks so much Libby!!

25. Katie Torres on April 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Ooh Whit! I love it! I have also been drooling over the PB white ruffled bedding, but couldn’t afford it. I like what you did with the Euro shams. I love the bedding I have now, but they didn’t make euro shams for it. I REALLY want euro shams. I never thought of having 3 euro shams, but I like the way that looks. I may need your help figuring out how to make euro shams that will go with my bedding! Thanks for sharing! And I think Kyndra looks lovely with those hats!

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Kat! I would be happy to help you 🙂 Just text me. And yes… Kyndra is a beauty!

26. Jan on April 14, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Oh Lovely!! I would love to change my room like this. But I live with two dirty men and a tomboy! I’m thinking I should have my own room that no one can come into! 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Hahaha… I love that idea Jan!! Good thinking!!

27. Christy Yoder @ pureMotherhood on April 14, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Gorgeous! We had an all white room, except for pale green walls, pre-kids. Would love to do this again but not sure how practical it would be at this point (2 boys under 3 and a girl on the way).

Did you make the headboard or buy it? I’m hoping you bought it somewhere so I can get one. 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Christy.. I had two girls under three when my son was born 🙂 We bought this bed at Rooms to Go but it’s been about 2 years. I love it! Thanks!!

28. Elaine on April 14, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Looks great! I also bought a duvet cover from Ikea that was way too small, 3rd ugh! Love the look and feel of your room, very elegant.

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm

That is a big Ugh! 🙂 Thanks so much Elaine!! 🙂

29. Carla on April 14, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Whitney, Your bedroom is lovely. How creative!

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Thanks so much Carla!! 🙂

30. [email protected] on April 14, 2011 at 3:22 am

LOVE the Euro pillows! Huge, huge love!

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Thanks so much Korrie!!

31. SaraDee on April 14, 2011 at 3:05 am

I love the photos of the “hats”!! OH! And the bedding too! lol:) What a gorgeous room! I am in desperate need of a bedroom re-vamp but basement reno’s come first!

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Thanks SaraDee… And good luck with that basement reno… Fun!

32. Julie on April 14, 2011 at 2:55 am

Love it! It looks so great. And those baskets really do look like hats, haha!
    Love your bed frame, too! Did you shanty that up or buy as is?

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:54 pm

We bought the bed at Rooms To Go 2 years ago. I haven’t touched it a bit :)… Yet. Thanks Julie!

33. Pine Tree Home on April 14, 2011 at 2:46 am

I really like the white bedding. I am itching to switch mine out for spring. I won’t even tell you about my nightmare trying to make relaxed roman shades…but the upside was I made two Euro pillows. Always a bright side…like now you have a quilt!

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Ha! I hear you on the roman shades… I found the BEST tutorial for mine and they have been hanging flawless for 2 years. Plus you use fabric glue on lots of it 🙂 Let me know if you want it and good job on the Euro pillows!

• Catherine Mann on April 21, 2011 at 4:14 am

I would love to know what tutorial you used to make your shades.

• Shanty2Chic on April 21, 2011 at 12:45 pm

My bedroom shades were bought but I do have other shade tutorials. Just type in lamp shade in our search box on the right. Thanks 🙂

34. Jodi on April 14, 2011 at 1:31 am

I LOVE the bed!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad that you posted this, I have been wanting to change our bedding to white, but just not sure, I love this and now I think I will do it! The white is just so not me, I am a color person, but I have been seeing so much of the white bedding and LOVE it!

Take care….Jodi

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’m a color person too Jodi but I love it! You will be so happy! And you can bring color out in other things… Do it! 🙂

35. Holly on April 14, 2011 at 12:44 am

Amazing!!! It is sad that ikea doesn’t except returns on bedding especially if it is too short in your space!! Good to know though

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 1:00 am

Thanks so much Holly!! 🙂

36. Nichelle on April 14, 2011 at 12:42 am

I just went to IKEA today! Where did you get those bedside lamps? I’m in the middle of a bedroom revamp and I am having trouble finding the perfect lamps for the besides tables and I LOVE those!!

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:59 am

I meant to put that in the post! I found them at T.J. Maxx! I think they were $30-$40 a piece. They are mercury glass which I love! Thanks!!

37. Christine on April 14, 2011 at 12:32 am

So inspiring-I am in the process of reclaiming my daughter’s former room-which was painted hot pink and gold-I am looking for elegant-and this defines that concept!

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:58 am

Good luck with that Christine!! Thanks!!

38. Dawn on April 14, 2011 at 12:25 am

It’s absolutely gorgeous!!!! There isn’t anything that I don’t absolutely LOVE!

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:57 am

Thanks so much Dawn! 🙂

39. Leah on April 13, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I love IKEA’s bedding, but it is ALWAYS too short. I usually have to go up at least one size. When we get a king bed, that’s not going to work though. haha

Super cute!

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:57 am

That would be my problem… Darn king bed 🙂 Thanks!

40. Mimi on April 13, 2011 at 11:43 pm

A wonderful beginning—— I loved the same ad!

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:56 am

Thanks Mimi!!!

41. Christina @ Christina's Adventures on April 13, 2011 at 11:40 pm

This is GORGEOUS!! I love it so much…I am trying to convince my husband to let us look into white bedding…but he doesn’t think it will be dog-friendly :/

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:50 am

Thanks so much Christina! I think the big plus to white is that it can be bleached… Maybe you could pitch it to him that way ;-)??

42. Kassi @ Truly Lovely on April 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Wow! So pretty! Good to know they don’t accept bedding returns at Ikea… Bummer though. But really, it looks lovely and you can’t tell!

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2011 at 12:49 am

Thanks Kassi! Big bummer, right?? 🙂

• jeanne wolf on April 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm

It is sad, but the reason most places will not do returns on bedding has to do with ….BEDBUGS…… Yup, it is a big problem all over the world right now.

• Pattyb on May 5, 2012 at 5:50 am

I love the headboard. Where did you get it?