My $100 Plank Wall!

Oh I am so happy to share this project with you!  Those of you that follow us on Instagram have seen this project from the beginning, and I am so pumped to finally show you the whole thing!  Here is how my DIY plank wall in my entryway turned out…

DIY Plank Wall

Plank Wall DIY Entryway

Plank Wall DIY

Really this is such a simple project!  I actually started and finished the entire planked portion of the wall in one day.  That’s the part I will show you today.

So… Let’s get started!

First, to keep the cost of the wood down, I decided immediately to use a favorite product for the planks.  Many of you have heard us talk about PureBond Plywood.  It’s an amazing hardwood plywood that we use on so many of our furniture pieces.  What’s so cool about it? Well, it’s made in the good ol’ USA.  It’s formaldehyde-free making it safe for me and my family.  It’s affordable!  You get the look of a beautiful hardwood at the cost of plywood, and it’s made from reusable resources.  But, our very favorite thing about it is what it looks like.  It’s BEAUTIFUL!

Since learning about it a few years ago, we made it our go-to brand for plywood.  It was an easy choice!

PureBond_Pledge

You can get PureBond at the Home Depot.   I decided to go with 1/2″ oak for my wall.  It comes in a huge 4′ x 8′ sheet which is next to impossible to get in the car with 5 kiddos in tow.  That’s why I let Home Depot do most of the work for me!

I had the nice man in the lumber department rip the sheet down into boards.  When I started to tell him what sizes I needed, he did look at me like I was a bit bonkers, but he had it done in no time.

Home Depot cut wood

My wall space I covered is 9ft long.  I went 6ft of the wall.  For this project I used two sheets of the 1/2″ maple.  This kept the cost of wood under $80 peeps!  WOOHOO!

Here are the rips I had him make…

SHEET 1 –

6 cuts at 4″

4 cuts at 6″

SHEET 2 –

2 cuts at 6″

4 cuts at 8″

So each of your pieces will be the inches shown above by 8ft.  Load it in your car and take it home!

I decided to use 5 different stain colors for this wall.  This is Varathane stain.  It dries in under an hour and only requires one coat.  You can find these at the Home Depot.

Varathane Stain

I stained the boards before I cut and attached them.  Once they were dry I used my Ryobi Corner Cat sander with a 120 grit paper to distress the wood and give it a fun vintage look.

Ryobi Corner Cat Sander

I used my miter saw for all my cuts.  This wood is thin and easy to cut.  You could easily use a small hand saw like this one…

This is actually the first saw I started with before upgrading to my big girl saw 🙂  It will do the trick perfect… You will just need to throw in a little more elbow grease.

So there really isn’t any set trick to deciding on cut size.  I eyeballed everything.  I knew I didn’t want any of my vertical breaks to be in the same place and I also tried to line the planks up where I wouldn’t have 2 the same size stacked on top of each other.

For example, here is how I started the wall.

How to plank a wall

You can see that my bottom board is 4″.  The next one is 8″.  I was sure to use different stains on both of my 8″ pieces and then another different stain on the 6″ piece above it.  It’s kind of a puzzle.  As I would attach them, I would measure the leftover space and cut my next piece to size.  It’s really similar to doing a puzzle and super easy.

I did add a small space between each break in my wood.  I used pennies for this part.  We happen to have a ton on hand and it does the job perfectly 😉

Pennies as spacers

Attaching the wood to the wall is really the easiest part!  I know you all know how much I LOVE my Ryobi AirStrike nailer.

Ryobi AirStrike Battery Nailer

This tool made attaching the wood a breeze.  I didn’t have to lug a cord or compressor around… Just popped the battery in and shot a few nails into each piece.  EASY PEASY!

AirStrike Nailer Ryobi

Now for the outlets…

I did have to work around 2 different outlets.  MAKE SURE YOUR BREAKER IS FLIPPED OFF for this part.  You do not want to do any work on your switches if the power is on… Bad move.   After removing the switch plate, I used my jigsaw to cut a small rectangle the size of the electric box.  Then, I pulled the inside of the switch forward towards the front of the wood, and used small wood screws to attach the switch to the wood on the wall.

This is what they looked like before I reattached the plate.

plank wall light switch

Here is another shot about halfway done…

Plank Wall How To

And a shot of the plank wall done before I added the top…  Please excuse the tragic lighting and lovely setup at the bottom ;-)…

Plank Wall DIY How to

Monday I will be sharing how I created the shelf on the top!  It is easy as well and really dresses it up a bunch!

For now… Here are a few more shots of her finished up!

What do you think??  Totally doable, right??

DIY Plank Wall

Dining Room

Plank Wall DIY

Plank Wall DIY Entryway

DIY Plank Wall by Shanty2Chic

Entryway with Plank Wall

Thank you SO much for stopping by!  I would LOVE for you to share this and PIN it with your peeps below!  Let me know if you have any questions at all!

1. Bridgette Fletcher on May 20, 2016 at 9:03 am

I love this idea, but since I live in an apartment I can’t do too much. I do want to build the shelves though, it would help with clutter management and I’d have another space to decorate! Where can I find the link for the tutorial to make the shelves?

2. Charlie Jenne on March 3, 2016 at 10:17 am

I am so excited to try this project. I went to my local Home Depot to purchase my materials and became beyond frustrated. Not only did they not have a clue (I asked 4 different workers) what Purebond was but they also told me they could not cut plywood planks less than 12″ wide. I do not have the propper tools to rip plywood so I decided to go with 1×4, 1×6 and 1×8 inch lumber. Way more expensive and the boards are not straight. Will this project still work if my wood is not straight? I am now second guessing myself and wonder if I should head back and get plywood and a saw?

• Jamie K on July 10, 2016 at 9:38 am

Charlie I have the same problem with my Home Depot. Just wondering what you decided to do? I also read pergo flooring would work ? #exasperated

3. Natalie Malone on January 12, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Do you have any blueprints/specs on how your did the shelf at the top?

4. zzzxtreme on November 23, 2015 at 12:24 am

great to have non-concrete wall , so you could easily nail them. i wonder if there’s a great easy-to-do idea if I want to do this on a concrete wall?

5. Brandi Weichers Patton on October 12, 2015 at 12:26 am

Can I ask if you made the cute bench in front of the wall? If so, do you have plans for it?

6. John Zieris on April 9, 2015 at 11:27 am

What kind of filler did you use for the joints

7. Brett Morrison on January 30, 2015 at 1:49 pm

There haven’t been any comments on this in a while, so I can only hope this gets seen, but I was wondering if you could tell us the width of the baseboards in this project. I know the plywood is 1/2″, but am just curious how well this would work with a baseboard that is only about 1/4″ wide at the top. Would it be that noticeable of a difference?

8. Lori Brooks Bremer Long on December 31, 2014 at 10:13 am

Im going to do this, but PLEASE tell me about your floor… I LOVE IT!

9. Debbie Mogg on October 27, 2014 at 9:56 pm

This would also work great using recycled pallets. You can usually get them for free too.

10. Aubry Baldwin on October 26, 2014 at 11:17 am

Just want to say THANK YOU for the inspiration! Wanted to do something just like this in my entry way and I love the way it turned out!

• Retta on December 30, 2014 at 10:13 am

Hi! Can you tell me what type of wood you used for yours and what stain color/brand? It’s beautiful.

• Aubry Baldwin on December 30, 2014 at 10:16 am

Hi Retta! It is actually pergo flooring! It comes like that already, all I had to do was fit the pieces together on the wall and nail them to the wall!

• Retta on December 30, 2014 at 10:23 am

Great idea! Do you know about how many cases of pergo it took? Do you know the color of yours? Thank you for the information.

• Nicole on September 26, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Hi. I love this! How did you hide the nail holes?

• K Sen on July 7, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Hi. I have a couple questions for you. Did you use any adhesive to attach the pergo? Did you just nail to studs? What size finishing nails did you use?

Thanks.

11. Sheri on October 4, 2014 at 8:03 am

Did you use grout to fill in the spaces? Why did you use spacers if not?

12. Mary Elizabeth on September 19, 2014 at 8:25 am

Absolutely Love your Plank Wall! I will be sharing later today at http://www.thepaintedtableboutique.blogspot.com

13. StevieT on August 28, 2014 at 3:38 pm

This is such an amazing project and such an amazing addition of character that you can put into your home. I had a quick question on the pennies as well…what do you do after the pennies are put in place and the wall construction is finished? I would assume you remove the pennies but what do you use as the filler in the gap space left behind?

14. Miranda Hagedorn on August 8, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Can you tell me more about your concrete floors? My husband and I have considered removing all flooring in our downstairs rooms & having the concrete stained. Is this something you recommend, what color, what finish? Any info you can provide would be helpful! Thanks!

15. Colette on July 28, 2014 at 12:17 pm

That is really beautiful. When I first looked at I thought it was brick. I hope some day soon to own a home and get to make a lot of your projects to fill it. Have to make sure I have room in the garage to build. You are such an inspiration.

16. Kris on April 14, 2014 at 11:04 am

Our home depot does not carry the maple pure bond plywood on hand, and would need to be ordered which would cost $100 in shipping. They do have the birch pure bond plywood, would that work to get the same looking result?

• Shanty2Chic on April 14, 2014 at 11:32 am

Yes! All of the pieces have a ‘rustic’ side and a smooth side. You can choose the one with more or less wood grain pattern showing. Either side will be beautiful!

• Kris on April 14, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Awesome, thank you!

17. Katie Uselman on April 4, 2014 at 10:56 am

Doing this on the wall going down into our basement! I am VERY excited! Wondering, did you varnish after staining? Also, are those concrete floors? did you do them yourself?

18. Patricia McMahon on March 24, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Wondering if you grouted or used something between the planks to finish it?

19. Katrina on February 14, 2014 at 1:09 pm

off topic are your floors concrete?

20. Susie Mann on February 2, 2014 at 4:23 pm

did you make the hook board as well???

21. Jacquelyn on December 15, 2013 at 8:18 pm

What a great idea. I also love the floors! Are they stained concrete?

22. Alisha Copeland on November 7, 2013 at 12:47 pm

You mentioned this plank wall coming in at under $100 does this include the stain you bought? Also do you have the “How to” and source list for the mantel piece with the hooks above the plank wall?

23. Stacey Allison on November 4, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Love your plank wall. Did you start your first board right on top of your baseboard? Or, did you remove baseboards first and start your boards behind the baseboard?

24. Andrea on November 3, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Love it! Just wondering how long the wall is and what type of flooring is in the entry way.

25. ejbp1 on November 1, 2013 at 8:33 am

This looks wonderful! I’m considering doing this at the end of a hallway
    in my home. I know you didn’t use a Kreg Jig with this, but I have a
    question about it anyway. I’ve decided to take the plunge and buy a Kreg
    Jig, and I looked on their website and saw the K5 — have you used one
    yet? Which should I buy, the Master System or the K5? Thanks!

26. Lori Nieves on October 31, 2013 at 9:19 pm

This looks awesome and I was easily able to convince my husband that this was the perfect solution for our mini hallway. Question: did you use a filler between the boards?

• Jane on November 26, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Yes was wondering if a filler was used? Love this idea!

27. Nance Worley on October 31, 2013 at 2:55 pm

It'[s “Boo” tiful…….
    **U**
    Nance

28. MOMACK on October 31, 2013 at 10:06 am

…….LOOKS GREAT!!!

29. Vicki B on October 30, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I love love love this wall. We are building a house and I am definitely going to use this in my new house. I had planned to build a hutch type coat rack, but this is much better as you can hang a lot more coats on this. Thank you. By the way, do you have concrete floors? If so, can you tell me what finish you put on them? We have concrete and I am in the process of selecting a finish. Thanks so much in advance. I love your blog.

30. Karen May on October 30, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I LOVE this!!! Thank you. I also love your front door and can you tell me what kind of floor you have in your entryway? Love that too : )

31. Emilou Ely on October 30, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I rarely leave any comments but I want to tell you what a super job you have done. Not only thinking up the idea but doing it!!! Your entry wall is so fantastic!!! Thank you for sharing. Blessings and smiles

32. becca holt on October 30, 2013 at 1:41 pm

This is awesome and I am totally going to try to replicate it using grey tone colors. Love the hooks on top and this will be perfect for our entryway! Thanks for sharing your creativity and instructions with us!

33. queenboss on October 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Queenboss I like this

34. Amber on October 30, 2013 at 9:58 am

….and when the cameras are turned off, your kids use the hooks right??

35. Robin Ingram on October 30, 2013 at 9:57 am

I love this! Do you think that it will hold children’s back packs and coats, etc? I had a board with hooks (made for the above!) and we had it super secured into the wall and it repeatedly ripped out. I am looking to do the whole entryway, and I want lots of hooks like you have so that we can all have a hook but I am scared of putting so much effort into it and having it come falling down.

36. Natalie on October 30, 2013 at 9:36 am

Thanks for sharing I’ve been looking for something to spruce up my space I can’t wait to share with my friends!

37. Michelle on October 30, 2013 at 9:19 am

Awesome! Where did you find your wooden ampersand?

38. carlibee on October 30, 2013 at 8:32 am

What a sweet and cozy little nook!

39. Stephanie Rau on October 30, 2013 at 8:22 am

LOVE!!!! This is a great wall!