Happy Monday guys!
I am so excited to share my latest furniture build with you guys today. I have a blank space next to my couch in my living room that I am always trying to fill. It sits next to a window, so I always feel like I am covering the window when I put something in front of it. I decided an open bookcase was the perfect solution because it would let in the natural light and give me the height I was wanting as well. I teamed up with my good friend Ana White to bring you this Pottery Barn inspired bookcase….
Isn’t it so cute? I think it fits the space perfectly! I will share some of my tips and tricks here, and you can check out the full set of free plans over on Ana’s website!
So… Here we go!
I made all my cuts using my Rigid 12″ Sliding Miter saw. I recently upgraded to this bad boy from my 10″ saw because it cuts through much thicker and larger wood. It is an investment, but it is the very best miter saw I have used. I love it to pieces.
You can see here where I decided to put my pocket holes…
The frame uses 1.5″ pocket holes.
This is the bottom of my shelf pieces. I used 3/4″ pocket holes on this part.
After building the frames, I attached my shelf pieces. I used 1.25″ pocket holes screws on this part.
I built one whole side like this before attaching the other frame.
I faced my back frame to the back to hide the pocket holes. Here is a shot of the top of the bookcase. After building it, I filled all of the pocket holes with stainable wood putty.
And to attach my side trim pieces I used my Ryobi AirStrike Nailer. I LOVE this tool. You get all the function and awesomeness of a corded nailer without the cord. Can’t beat that! It also runs on the same battery as my drill.
This is what the trim pieces look like…
I used 1/4″ PureBond Plywood for the back of the bookcase. You can find it at the Home Depot. I had my Home Depot cut mine to size for me. Then, I just used my nailer to attach it to the back.
Time to finish!
I used a new Rust-Oleum stain color called Wheat on this bookcase. It is very similar to the Early American that they discontinued. You just brush it on and then wipe off all of the excess stain. After giving it one coat and letting it dry, I used my Ryobi Corner Cat sander to sand my edges and corners. I love the look that it gives… Kind of worn and antique.
For the hardware, I found these brackets at Home Depot. You can get them in the roofing section. They are super cheap.
I painted mine with one coat of Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Canyon Black spray paint.
After letting it dry I attached them using some black drywall screws. Look how cute!
My final step was dressing it up and taking some pics! Here are a few more shots…
Hope you LOVE it as much as I do!
Remember to check out the full set of free plans over on Ana’s site!
I would love for you to share and PIN this with your peeps below!
Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂