Pottery Barn Inspired DIY Dresser

Hey friends! I am SO excited to share my latest build!  This next one has been a long time coming.  This has been where my son’s tv has been resting for the last few months…

I know… Pretty shanty, right?? 😉

I have been avoiding tackling  a dresser for sometime, because I thought it might be too hard.  Well I am happy to report that it did not kill me, and it really wasn’t too difficult at all!  The best part??  His tv and clothes now have a new home!  Here it is!  Ana gave me a great set of easy plans to follow and you can see them HERE!

DIY Pottery Barn Dresser

I will say that the Kreg Jig® is a MUST for this build.  If you need another excuse to finally go and buy one, just check our last 10-15 furniture projects.  You need one… I promise!

I will show you a few tips here, and you can get the full set of plans for my Pottery Barn Inspired Dresser HERE on Ana White’s site!

I used my Kreg Jig® on lots of parts!

The sides…

Kreg Jig Pocket Holes

pocket hole jig

The base…

pocket holes in base

The base looks like this after it is attached…

This is a picture of the top before I attached it to the dresser.

Kreg Jig

I used Gorilla Wood Glue on ALL of my joints!  LOVE!  It never fails, and it is our very favorite glue!

For this piece I was finally able to try out some PureBond Hardwood Plywood.  I have heard lots about it, and it certainly lived up to it’s hype for me!  I used 3/4″ birch from Home Depot and had the nice man at Home Depot cut it into 15 3/4″ strips as Ana calls for in the plans.  This saved me lots of time, and made it much easier to carry home!

I will be sharing later a more specific tutorial on working with metal drawer slides, but Ash gives a few tips HERE on her Pottery Barn inspired coffee table!

Here it is all finished up and ready for a good coat of stain!

DIY Wood Dresser

I used the same stain on this piece that I used on the other pieces I made for his room.  This stain is the BOMB.  It dries in less than an hour, and only requires 1 coat.  As a mommy with lots to do, this makes me super happy!

Rust-Oleum Wood Stain

Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut

For my hardware I matched what I used previously.  These sash pulls can be found at Lowe’s for cheapo!

My hubby helped me move it into his room and I took a few more pictures for you guys!

DIY Pottery Barn Dresser

Hope you LOVE it!  I do!  Sure beats the old clothes basket… just sayin!

I would love for you to share this and Pin it below!

You can also check out the other pieces I have made for his room!

DIY Nightstand

DIY Restoration Hardware Nightstand

DIY Bookcase

DIY Bookcase

DIY Platform Bed

DIY Pottery Barn Platform Bed

DIY Wood Shelves

$20 Easy Shelves!!

Thanks so much for stopping by guys!  Make sure to check Ana’s site for the full set of plans on this great DIY dresser!

1. Sàn Gỗ/Bàn Ghế Ngoài Trời on December 15, 2017 at 4:00 am

Wowww, Very good

2. Marisa Braungart on August 1, 2016 at 9:51 am

Hi! Thinking about making this for my room. Is it possible to swap out that plywood top and create a planked top? Do you have any tips on just how to do that or what pieces of pine I should get in order to achieve the planked look? Thanks!!

3. Ellie on February 22, 2015 at 10:20 pm

I am terribly confused as to where/when to attach the drawer slides!? In Ana’s plans it isn’t quite clear- I’m confused because the plans say you ‘may’ want to add “a 1×2 blocking” in the illustration listed under step #7, but aren’t these required if you’re adding the drawer slides (in order for them to be attached to something?) Sorry for the confusing question I just have all the lumber ready and am stuck at this point in the plans and don’t want to start building til I get a clearer image/idea as to how to do this!! Maybe it is simple and I am missing something!! Thanks ladies, love all your plans/tips/ideas!!!! ~Ellie

4. JenWoodhouse.com on October 27, 2014 at 9:55 am

Hey lady!
    I’m about to build this dresser for my son’s room and was wondering how it’s been holding up after a couple years, drawer slides and all?

5. Miranda Mueters on July 19, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Finished this dresser!! But after staining it with the same stain you use, it looks a lot different! Why?! I love the look you have! Not sure what to do now!

6. JT on May 13, 2014 at 5:16 pm

This is great. I’m a little late to the game – maybe you can still help. Did you use nails like Ana’s plans say or all screws? Also, did you just put the drawers in as is or did you use drawer slides?

7. Sarah Shulenberger on March 31, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Amazing job! About how long did it take you to make each piece?

8. Brittney Adams-Vivian on February 13, 2014 at 2:45 pm

What colours of paints do you have on the walls? I love the contrast.

• Brittney Adams-Vivian on February 13, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I saw the blue was Valspars Blue twilight but what shade is the top and trim colour?

9. Natalie on January 16, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Hey guys! I LOVE this dresser and I think it’s just what I’m looking for… for a bathroom vanity! Do you think it would work for this?? We would run the pipes through the wall and come in the back, and put white vessel sinks on top. We’d seal the top of the dresser so it doesn’t get affected by the water (any suggestions on a product?). My husband and I are both tall, but I’m worried about the dresser+vessel sink being too high – what do you think? Anything else I should be considering if I were to use this as a rustic vanity? Thanks!! You guys are amazingly inspiring!

• shannon on January 23, 2014 at 11:20 pm

A marine varnish or some sort would seal the top. Do a search for a high quality sealer in water areas. How tall are you? 36″ Vanity is now becoming the norm so it should work. Wherever you put the sink or sinks you would just use a false drawer or a door instead of a drawer. There is also an option of making a u shaped drawer to go around the plumbing.

10. Stephanie Craven on January 2, 2014 at 10:28 am

Hey, I love the stain color! I’ve recently started building with Ana White plans, and I’m about to stain a piece, but wondered if you used pre-conditioner, or just went for it with the stain? Thanks! That dresser is gorgeous, it’s now on my forever-long “to do list”. 😉

11. Linda Crandall on July 28, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Finished the dresser! Wow, what a project – stretched my our minds on this one! Picture attached

• Ellie on February 22, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Sorry to sort of repeat my question from above- but could you please explain when/how you attached the drawer slides with these plans? I am confused as to how they work. Maybe I should not be attempting a dresser quite yet!!! I saw the plans call for the bottom mount drawer slides, but as i look online it seems like there are more simple styles of slides available?! Thanks for any insight!!!!!!!!

12. D Davis on May 1, 2013 at 6:22 am

You are absolutely incredible…to be able to make this with little to no help. I’ve always wanted to make and furniture pieces, but also way too scared. it doesn’t sound impossible at all, but I’m still hesitant. This may have been the boost I needed.

13. Ericka on April 7, 2013 at 4:04 pm

would you mind letting me know exactly which Kreg Jig is the one you own?? I really am interested in doing th dresser for my room!.. Its amazing!

14. Caren Henderson Freeman on March 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Love it! I just bought a Kreg Jig day before yesterday so I can start making some of these wood projects. My husband is a bit surprised! LOL! Thanks, I love your site.

15. Sharon Berry on January 11, 2013 at 5:22 pm

That is FABULOUS! I’m seriously inspired by everything you do. I just found your blog a month or so ago and am loving it. Really wonderful!

Sharon @ http://www.lilikoijoy.com

16. Charlie Ries on October 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Did you achieve that rustic look with just one solid coat of the stain you showed? It’s inconsistent and “rugged looking” by nature?

17. orangesugar on October 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Where does one find high grade 2×2’s? I have only ever seen hobby stock that is max 36″ tall and cheap furring strips that are full of knots and most if not all are twisted/warped etc..

18. Nina Hibbler on October 4, 2012 at 9:08 am

How awesome. I wish I were are great working with wood as I am with my other projects. Working with wood will have to be my next step… I’ll need some power tools first outside of my drill.

19. Eva on September 23, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I really need a new dresser for my bedroom and can’t find anything anywhere that I love AND can afford. I’m a beginner builder and have only tackled some small projects BUT just got a miter saw for my anniversary, yay!! So excited.
    My question would be: instead of the open bottom, could I add two more dressers? If yes, would I still need the bottom?
    Silly questions, I know. I’m really kinda scared of attempting to make a dresser, I’ve had some issues building square….oops, not good when dealing with drawers.
    So, if you guys have any tips of keeping things square..that would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Love your blog, you guys are incredibly inspiring.
    Eva

• shannon on January 23, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Make sure you make all of your cuts precise especially the ones that are the same size. Use a square when putting together corners to check for square. You can also pull a tape diagonally across to check for square by making sure that the number you get on both is the same. Being square is about taking the time and making the cuts right. When the back goes on it too will help square up the dresser as long at that too is square.

20. carinb on September 18, 2012 at 8:01 am

Starting this dresser and have a few ?’s about purchasing the wood. What type of wood did you use for the 1×2, 1×6, 1×8, 2×2 strips? We found the birch plywood, but can’t get birch in these sizes? Did you use a different species or am I missing something?

• Shanty2Chic on September 18, 2012 at 8:24 am

I used pine for all the boards… It stains the same as the plywood and it’s the cheapest. I also like that you can see the wood grain. Hope this helps!

21. confused on July 31, 2012 at 10:18 am

working on building the dresser and the plans call to mark out all PH’s and drill 3/4H’s… what is a PH and the H???? sorry I don’t know but this will be the first thing I ever attempt to build!

22. csterndster on July 21, 2012 at 11:45 am

Hey! I love the blue in your room, can you tell me what paint color it is?

• Shanty2Chic on July 22, 2012 at 6:07 am

The blue is a Valspar color called Blue Twilight. Hope this helps!!

23. l.fightmaster. on July 11, 2012 at 8:58 am

I just love all of your work!!! My husband and I are planning on building this entire set! LOVE IT!!!

• Shanty2Chic on July 18, 2012 at 9:41 am

That is so awesome!! I can’t wait to see pics!

24. Felicia Smith on July 9, 2012 at 9:01 am

Love, love, love all your projects! Just trying to get the plans for the dresser and the website is down. Does this happen often or will it be back up again shortly? I can’t wait to make something:)

• Shanty2Chic on July 10, 2012 at 5:36 am

It does happen sometimes, but usually only for a few hours! Print them next time you are on there in case it happens again! Good luck!

25. Emma on June 30, 2012 at 10:14 pm

You are amazing! All the furniture is beautiful.

26. Guest on June 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Wow. You are amazing, really! I’m not sure where you stead located, but I would be happy if you would teach a tutorial. Eh? 🙂 I want to build similar idea, but for our front room. I feel so overwhelmed! Can you help me?! 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Haha you are sweet! You can totally do it!! 🙂

27. JenWoodhouse.com on June 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Seriously impressed here. I love the build, but love the finish even more! Great job! I’m putting this on my to-do list and will come back and share once I get ‘er done!

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 9:05 pm

We would love to see it!! Thank you Jen :-)!!

• JenWoodhouse.com on June 29, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Quick question… for your Kentwood nightstand and bookcase: did you use pine? And for this wide dresser project, you used birch?

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I did use pine for those. I just recently learned about PureBond plywood and it’s benefits. The birch stains almost exactly the same as pine boards do, which is why I went that direction with the dresser. You can get the PureBond at HD. Let me know if you have any other ?’s! 🙂

• JenWoodhouse.com on June 30, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thanks for the replies! I’m excited to get started, I’m so inspired. And next, methinks a how-to post about your finishing techniques is in high demand, judging from all the questions!

• Shanty2Chic on July 1, 2012 at 5:24 am

Good call Jen… I’m on it! Send some pics of the pieces you build when you get them finished 🙂

28. Mary Bradley Fritz on June 29, 2012 at 7:22 pm

My son and I are very excited (well, I’m excited but he’s willing) to tackle some of these projects over the summer! He doesn’t know that my goal is to give him a college student worthy room. I have been researching the Kreg Jig and, while it’s spendy, I know that it will go a long way. Which model/setup do you most recommend?

29. Anne Davis on June 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm

You are freaking amazing! This looks like something I would buy in a store… new follower – found you on Pinterest 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Thank you Anne!! That totally made me smile 🙂

30. Janet on June 29, 2012 at 9:08 am

Absolutely love! Once again you amaze me! Thanks to you, I bought the Kreg jig, you guys should get commissions!!!

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 9:14 am

You are sweet Janet! Thank you so much! I will see if I can hit Kreg up for that 😉

31. castebner on June 29, 2012 at 8:21 am

Great job, it looks amazing!

32. Annie Livengood Wahls on June 29, 2012 at 8:03 am

Love this! where did you get the baskets that fit under? the pottery barn ones are not cheap and I was looking for an alternative for my camp style dresser that we got (before I knew how to DIY!) Also love the basket of baseballs-such a chic little room!

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 8:23 am

I found these at Michael’s, but have also found many at Hobby Lobby. Hope this helps!
      Thanks!

33. Linda P on June 29, 2012 at 6:44 am

Hi. I was also wondering about the floor. I like it very much.

I was also wondering about the finish on the pieces you made. The stain is a rich, gorgeous color, but do you finish it at all with poly or wax or anything?

As always,very nicely done.

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Hey Linda! It is stained concrete… I do love that I can scrape just about anything off of it! We had ours stained when we built the home.

I did use Rust-Oleum’s polyurethane on the top of the piece to protect it from water rings and from my 5 kiddos :-). Thank you!!!

34. Nif @ Call Me Nif on June 29, 2012 at 6:20 am

Speechless! I LOVE all the pieces you have done for his room! What a talent you have!

35. Jamie @Roubinek Reality on June 28, 2012 at 10:13 pm

This looks so awesome!! I tried to make her media console last summer and it ended up being too wobbly to use. Maybe I’ll get brave enough to tackle one of her projects again soon, but I gotta have this baby first before I can get back on the DIY wagon.

LOVE his entire room!!

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Thank you Jamie! I agree… Much prefer building NOT pregnant! 🙂

36. AndreaR on June 28, 2012 at 9:55 pm

WOW, I love the finiish on all of those furniture pieces! I am not as handy as I would like to be with power tools, but you have inspired me! Hopefully one day I will be there….I just finished my first makeover on a dresser for my girls’ room. (after much anxiety–for fear I would ruin it.)

Thanks for sharing!

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 10:50 pm

You are sweet Andrea! Thanks so much… You can totally do it! 🙂

37. Autum on June 28, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Amazing! Not many boys can say their mom made all the furniture in their bedroom. I am finally working up the courage to try some build projects and you are a huge source of inspiration and encouragement. I am currently trying to build some slide out drawers for beneath my kitchen sink. I got the two drawers built today, only to realize I had not allowed enough room for the slides and the boxes were too wide to fit : ( I’m not giving up though. I have a question, do you use kreg clamps for holding your wood in place when joining? I am using kreg pocket holes, but have trouble keeping everything lined up, especially trying to get perfect 90 degree angles so my drawer boxes are square.

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Hey Autum! Have you checked out some of the Kreg clamps?? They are specifically for those angles! Thanks for your sweet message!

38. Carolyn Dodd on June 28, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I can’t even TELL you how impressed I am with this room and all the work you did. “Wow” is the only thing that comes to mind.

39. michele on June 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Wow, aren’t you so clever and talented! What a great job. Looks just like the PB catalog in his room!!

40. Ashley on June 28, 2012 at 3:34 pm

LOVE it! I’m a huge fan of everything you do! It’s started to inspire me to make my own things. Where did you find the wire baskets in the room?

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Hey Ashley! On Amazon! Search wire locker basket 🙂

41. Jaime on June 28, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Whitney love this build, if only I had more space in my kids rooms! I’m uber jealous you all got to meet up with Ana at Haven, I had no idea I would be missing out on such a great experience, you can bet I will be there next year. Maybe we can all collaborate on a Mega-build someday.

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 10:53 pm

We would love that!! You for sure need to come! We had such a great time!!

42. Christina Z. on June 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Ok..I have to know…how much did it cost to make???????????????? 😀 I love it!

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm

$175… Totally forgot to add that!

43. June on June 28, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Really gorgeous!

44. Bethany on June 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm

So beautiful! I’ve wanted a piece of furniture to put my tv on in my living room. After seeing this, maybe I could build something myself! Thanks for the inspiration!

45. Deanna Sutherland on June 28, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Fabulous as always….can we chat about the floors in your sons room for a sec? Are those stained concrete? Did you do them yourself and do you love them or not so much? Would love to hear your experience with them:) LOVE LOVE LOVE your site and the gorgeous stuff you girls make!!!!

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Thank you Deanna!

Stained concrete… We paid a contractor BUT I do wish I would have done them myself… I’m not super pleased with the finish because it shows lots of scratches. Hope this helps!

46. Erin @ DIY On the Cheap on June 28, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Pinned! Love this. Great job! I may have to attempt this when I get over my fear of power tools.

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 11:01 pm

You can do it Erin… Promise! 🙂

47. Lauren H on June 28, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Beautiful job, Whitney! Thinking it would make a great console in the DR or large entry, too.

How do you ladies do it?!? I’m going to have to stop reading your blog as I feel like a super under-achiever. Ha! Ha!

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Haha Lauren… Don’t feel that way! You saw my motivation… Just put a tv on a clothes basket and you will be instantly inspired :-))

48. Chrissy on June 28, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Love it!! The whole room looks great with all the elements!! I’m curious like Noreen with the PureBond plywood. Approx cost?

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Thank you Chrissy!! $175… Totally forgot to add that! 🙂

49. noreen on June 28, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Oh My GOD I love this! It is fab, you are so talented, would love to do something like this, I need to pluck up the courage! How much did it cost to make approx? 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on June 29, 2012 at 11:04 pm