Pantry Ideas – DIY Canned Food Storage

Happy Monday!  So glad you are here!  To keep up with all of our projects be sure to FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST!

I hope you all had a great weekend!  I am back today to share our next ‘Shanty Storage Solution’ with you!  As I mentioned in my DIY Spice Rack post, Ash and I are on a mission to use our love of wood and DIY to create solutions for our kitchens and our homes that help things run more smoothly and efficiently.

My next project was to tackle my canned food collection!  With a family of 7, we always keep a large variety of canned foods.  What did I come up with??  These are individual canned food organizers thats store your cans, and rotate the cans to allow you to use the older dates first.  Rather than making 1 single rack, I opted to make them individual so you can make as few or as many as you need for your canned food stash!  Here is how they turned out…

Awwww… SO much better than how they used to be!  The need for this system came along with the addition of my sweet baby.  His very favorite thing to do is knock over my can stacks and roll them around the house…

I do think it’s cute, but I was going batty stacking my cans on an hourly basis!  I won’t say these are ‘baby-proof’, but I will say they have helped!

I made these canned food organizers in 2 sizes.  The larger size holds up to 12 cans, and I am sharing it today.

Here we go!

Supplies!

For each organizer I used 1/4″ hardwood plywood.  I bought mine in a 4’x8′ sheet and had the guys at Home Depot cut it down into 11.5″ strips.  You can also buy smaller panels like a 2’x2′ or 2’x4′ if you don’t need as many!

I also used a 1×12 for my shelf pieces.  These also come in different lengths.  I bought and 8′ board because I was making several, but you can buy a smaller one if you are not making as many.

I also use a 1/2″x2″ pine board for my bottom shelf front piece.  A 4′ piece will make 8 dividers.

When you break it down, these cost under $5 a piece to make.

Cuts!

For the sides you will need 2 pieces of 1/4″ plywood cut to this..

For the shelf piece I cut my 1×12 into 4.75″ pieces.  Each divider will use 2 pieces like this…

There will be a small scrap from the middle shelf piece that I will use later on a different step.

Next, I marked both of my side pieces for my shelves!  Marking them with a pencil makes lining your shelf pieces up really easy, and it keeps you from having to guess where to nail from the side.

Mark each side like this…

I found a really easy way to do this!  I used some scrap pieces cut to the dimensions above to serve as a template for each piece.  I would just lay them down, line up my middle shelf , and draw it out quick.  No need to measure each time!  This saves a ton of time!

Excuse my shanty handwriting on the blocks! 😉

Next I used Gorilla Wood Glue and finish nails to attach my shelves like this!

Easy!  And because I drew my shelves on the other side, it makes this part simple!  Just nail where the shelves are marked!

Next, I added some Gorilla Wood Glue to the shelf pieces, and attached my other side piece!

Now to finish off the front!

I used that scrap piece to cut my front piece.

This is for my middle shelf.  I just added a little glue and nailed it in place!

I used a 1/2″ x 2″ pine board for my bottom shelf piece.  Each one was 5.25″ long.

That’s it!  How simple is that?  No need to put a back on these… Once they are placed in the cabinet, the wall does the trick perfect!  I painted mine with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in Heirloom White.  I also couldn’t resist the urge to add some labels.  I will be sharing those soon!

My favorite part about these babies is how they rotate my cans!  You load the cans through the top, and it allows your older dates to rotate out from the bottom first!  LOVE.  I will also be sharing my 7-can dividers that are stackable soon!

For now, here are a few more shots!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I would love for you to share and pin these below!  I will be sharing my entire pantry makeover over the next few weeks, so stay tuned!  Also, be sure to check out my Pantry Door Spice Rack!

Thanks so much guys!!

You can stay up to date with the Shanty Sisters by joining our Facebook Community!

1. Susan on December 27, 2017 at 9:32 am

This is brilliant!

2. RagdollMama on March 27, 2017 at 10:04 am

Great Idea! I need one of these for cat food cans!!!

3. Tina Marie Meckley on September 12, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Thanks for sharing. I’m hoping to make these for my new pantry we will be building soon. 🙂

4. Phyllis Wood on August 19, 2015 at 2:26 pm

This pattern would be 13″H X 5.25″ W X 11.5″ D. Mine hold up to 10 oz (soup)-16 oz (tomatoes) cans easily. Going to play with the pattern to make holders for my pop top canned fruit and my family size soup cans. Be sure that you measure the height/depth for the middle shelf carefully. I have man sized fingers so I’ll be making the next set of middle shelves 6.25″ in long and 2″ from the front.

5. Jennifer Bartel on August 19, 2015 at 12:07 pm

what is the finished dimensions of this?

6. April Ling on July 19, 2015 at 8:19 am

You could totally market these and sell them!

7. Crystal Hayward on March 13, 2015 at 7:47 am

I like your idea. My pantry cabinets are long and narrow. like 10″ wide and maybe 17-21 ” deep. got 3 sections like that. It’s a mobile home so the pantry is flimsy wood..

8. rachiti on February 10, 2015 at 4:13 am

Although I appreciate the design, I am rather miffed as to why you did not show the shelves before you stacked additional cans on top of them making them anything other than rotating storage because the ‘extra’ cans plunked on top would fall willy nilly or become dented if used as intended. Now I have to alter the diagram I made (as one was not provided in a logical fashion) in order to include an additional shelf. How unfortunate.

• Dianne Clark-Fuller Lmp on June 20, 2015 at 1:05 am

Wow, OK…if you get easily upset over a simple post of how to do something I feel sorry for you. No one says you have to stack your cans the exact same way. If you’re afraid of them denting than find another way to store your canned goods. But for heaven’s sake you don’t have to give someone an attitude over it.

9. Carol Prieto on August 8, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Looking for the instructions for the 7 can holder. Can someone please share if you have it. Thanks!

10. agshare on July 14, 2014 at 10:19 am

I saw these in plastic in a mail order catalog.now I wish I could remember which one.something like harriet carter,or drake….for people who arent handy.

11. Pamela Lindstrom Adamson on July 9, 2014 at 2:56 pm

If you can’t build these, may I recommend a supplier named Uline.
    They are a Mom and Pop that has grown into a great company.

12. Ana Ortiz on July 3, 2014 at 10:15 am

Do you have any picutres of the completed organizer without the cans in it?

13. christina on June 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Shanty2Chic WHERE DID YOU GET THE LABELS? Is that your handwriting? I love them

14. TShearon on June 9, 2014 at 11:38 am

Just got to looking at this and realized you can make this pretty much as large as you want as long as the materials used will hold the weight. Just add additional shelves above as done with the middle shelf in an alternating pattern so the cans roll back and forth.

15. Andrew on April 9, 2014 at 8:54 am

I made 5 of these over the weekend using your instructions and they are fantastic! I wish I had your creativity to think up projects like these.

One thing I’d note from my experience is to be careful about the height with the front pieces: if you make them too high, it’ll be difficult to get the cans out. I made the mistake of cutting all 5 pieces and glued and used a brad nailer on all of them, before testing. Then had to tear them all out and redo….

16. Heidi74 on February 18, 2014 at 9:34 am

I want to cry I’ve been looking for something like this for a long time!

17. ToriBeard on January 12, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I need at least ten of these!!! Both the 12 can AND the 7 can version!! I’m wondering if you’ve thought of making one for those skinny little tuna or chicken cans? I’m sure my Hubby can figure it out. Also considering one for those teeny tiny little cans of chopped olives! We use a lot of those for tacos! lol I love love LOVE everything ya’ll are doin! Keep it up!!! 😉

18. Danielle Marceaux on January 11, 2014 at 10:55 pm

i need to make a few of these

19. James R. on December 26, 2013 at 10:37 pm

This is an AWESOME project!! I’ll be making at least 2 maybe 3, maybe more of these…there are so many different things this can be used for… 🙂
    TY for sharing this!!

20. Stephanie Watson on November 15, 2013 at 4:37 pm

II need to build this1 Do you think you all could add one of those free save as PDF things? It would be awesome to be able to download the plans 🙂

21. Cathy Pablo on October 17, 2013 at 10:42 am

I just love this. I am moving in a few days and I think I will plan on making this as one of my first projects to organize my pantry.

22. Morgan on June 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm

What type of canisters do you have in your pantry for the dry goods? We just bought a new house & I’m trying to organize BEFORE we move in 🙂 I can’t seem to find the ones I see in your pictures, and I really like the way yours are so easy to see.

• Meghan Macklin Anderson on August 10, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I just bought some today. They look like the Walmart brand containers to me.

• Dana on January 1, 2014 at 11:25 am

I have my pantry and cabinets organized with Tupperware Modular Mates. They are clear, so you can see the contents at a glance. They are also virtually water and air tight…. they keep your foods fresh for up to 2 years!!

• Marayne Teal on June 8, 2014 at 10:49 am

you can buy canisters like this from Dollar General stores. They are in the chip isle and filled with puffed cheetos or other snacks.

23. Adael Sumner on June 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Brilliant DIY!! I am currently using the boxes that my cans come in from the wholesale store, but something more built in is appealing, not to mention the auto rotating idea!
    I am a little confused though, in your supplies you mention that you use a 1×12 for the shelves, but in the pictures you use plywood… Did you decide to use scrap pieces? That may be more cost effective…

24. Patsy Smith on May 10, 2013 at 6:18 am

I would just like to thank you for sharing this! It’s a brilliant idea for me as I produce jam and pickles in round, small jars, also canned fruit and veg. this will help me with organised storage – and keep Hubby busy for WEEKS! I need LOADS. Thanks again.

25. Madeleine @ NZ Ecochick on May 10, 2013 at 12:59 am

Wow these are amazing! I am going to make these as well. Thanks heaps. M x

26. Marilyn Gates Horn on April 8, 2013 at 7:58 am

GREAT IDEA! THANKS FOR THE EASY TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS & PICS!

27. Natalie on February 25, 2013 at 11:05 am

Can you post the instructions for the 7 can holders?? You have me addicted to organizing!!! Thank you!

28. Dolly Gray-Robison on February 9, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I love this and just sent a link to my dad to see if he can make some for me. I have a smaller pantry and want the 7 can one that you made. Have you posted instructions for it? I have searched your blog and haven’t come across it.

29. magen on January 30, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Hey! I was looking at this yesterday, literally all day, reading and figuring out my own pantry dimensions compared to yours but today when I went to write down the supplies I would need, the images are not loading on the page. Do you know why this might be?

• Shanty2Chic on January 30, 2013 at 5:55 pm

We are in the middle of a site revamp today. We are getting all the kinks worked out now, mainly the photo issue. We hope to have them all back up today! Thanks for being patient with us!!

• magen on January 30, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Thank you! I thought my computer was flipping out! I am soooo excited to get started on several of your blog projects. 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on January 30, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Good!! Thanks so much for your patience and your sweet message! 🙂

30. Christy Hewes Ziesmer on January 27, 2013 at 10:20 am

This is so cool! I’m going to ask my hubby to make some for us. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

31. Rachel Murphy on January 16, 2013 at 10:56 pm

WOW! Thank you so much for this DIY. I was looking at the prices for these and I just can’t make that happen but thanks to this great post I think I can take a Saturday and make it happen! Thanks again for sharing your talents. 🙂

32. will on January 15, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Hi there, LOVE this. I’ll be making two of these this weekend. Just wondering if the 7 can holder has been posted – thought I’d put a few of these under the kitchen sink and a few 7 can ones in my tiny pantry! Thanks for the tutorial

33. Clarissa on January 4, 2013 at 11:11 am

This is awesome!!! It’s just what I needed for my pantry. I’ve been looking for a DIY rotating can storage, but all the one’s I have come across have been made of cardboard. I like this soooooo much better! Thank you for sharing! 🙂 Have a beautiful day!

34. Cecilia Bramhall on December 13, 2012 at 7:12 am

I just came across this on Pinterest. I absolutely love this. My pantry is in sore need of a makeover. I now know what to do to make it all better! Thanks!

35. impatientgirl on November 19, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I just stumbled across this on Pinterest. I have been LOOKING for a wood version of these and had given up and thought I’d just have to figure it out. THANK YOU!!

36. Annalea on November 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Wow. This is a.ma.zing. These are totally affordable, totally customizable, and I LOVE that you can stack extra cans on top of the top shelf. Thank you so much!!!! This baby is pinned and waiting. :o)

37. Neice McHan on October 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm

About how many cans can each organizer hold? And I can’t wait for the large can one.

38. Andreaaspbury@txstate.edu on October 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Andrea. These c

39. megan Vaughn on October 19, 2012 at 6:42 am

These are fantastic! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful tutorial. Megan

• Shanty2Chic on October 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Thanks so much Megan! Happy to do it! 🙂

40. marjoycek on October 19, 2012 at 5:25 am

Great idea and so much much better than the plastic ones you see in the stores.

41. SafePantry on October 16, 2012 at 11:56 am

Brilliant DYI, thanks for posting – Tweeted and Pinned for our readers to enjoy!

• Shanty2Chic on October 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thanks so much!! I appreciate it!! 🙂

42. Mindi Carwin on October 16, 2012 at 10:07 am

These are awesome! Pinning!

43. Charlotte on October 16, 2012 at 8:56 am

I am so going to show this to my hubby! Thanks

44. Jan Messali on October 16, 2012 at 7:26 am

Fantastic idea!

45. DeDe Bailey on October 16, 2012 at 5:17 am

Very cleaver! I am amazed that you have that many of ranch styled beans! Lol. Love how organized they all are and so much easier to store.

• Shanty2Chic on October 16, 2012 at 5:30 am

Thanks Dede! Haha… We are from Texas, and my hubby eats them on everything! ;-))

46. Rachael on October 15, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Wow. My hubby and I were just discussing how to store our food storage/cans and I couldn’t stomach the price to buy them. Maybe I could convince him to make some for me for Christmas??? They’ve GOT to be cheaper than buying. We need them in the basement too for bigger cans. If you have a stack-able version, please post a link or tutorial!

• Shanty2Chic on October 16, 2012 at 5:30 am

It’s coming Rachael! I haven’t quite finished up the plans for larger cans, but the stackable holders are coming! Thanks! 😉

47. Giggling Gerty on October 15, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I’m LOVIN this series!!!! Both are on my list already… & i can’t wait to see what else you have in store!

• Shanty2Chic on October 15, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Thanks so much Juanita!! I am addicted… Want to organize everything now ;-))

• Giggling Gerty on October 15, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I have the bug too… i just don’t know how you you find the time for everything … i only have 4 kids, i dont blog or constantly diy & yet i run out of time!!! Maybe that can be a future post… How you managed it ALL (or “How you too can be supermums like us!”;-) )

48. kristen on October 15, 2012 at 2:01 pm

blows my mind. SO awesome!

49. Angie Overton on October 15, 2012 at 11:25 am

Love these. I guess I need to see if I could incorporate these into my space. Just pinned it.

• Shanty2Chic on October 15, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Yes you do Angie! Thanks for the pin and sweet comment!

50. Holly Baker on October 15, 2012 at 11:22 am

Thank you for this post! I saw it on Pinterest. I have always thought these could be made and not purchased. I am excited to get more organized and rotate my canned goods better. I love how much they hold, too!!!

• Shanty2Chic on October 15, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Thank you Holly! Glad to help!! I love them and I am sure you will love yours too!

51. Jill C Adams on October 15, 2012 at 10:13 am

What a Super Smarty Pants Idea!!! Thanks for sharing….. I am Pinning NOW!!! Making Later! ;’D

• Shanty2Chic on October 15, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Haha thank you Jill! I appreciate it so much!!

52. Lauralee @ The Eclectic Stitch on October 15, 2012 at 10:05 am

Love these ~ hope to convince DH to make some for me (I’m dangerous with a hammer). Thanks so much for the tutorial!!!

• Shanty2Chic on October 15, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Yes you do! Just wink at him! Good luck and thanks!;-)

53. Hannah Hathaway on October 15, 2012 at 9:57 am

Wonderful idea! And adorable little guy you got there!

• Shanty2Chic on October 15, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Aww thanks Hannah! I appreciate it!! 🙂

54. Kristi @ Creative Kristi on October 15, 2012 at 9:11 am

Looks Great! Thanks for the tutorial…now if only I had actual shelves in my pantry to put these on 😉

• Shanty2Chic on October 15, 2012 at 5:43 pm