Garage Organization! DIY Lumber Cart

Happy Friday guys!

Well… I got an itch a few weeks ago.

I decided it was time to finally overhaul one of the most used rooms in my home.  My garage!

I have been working like crazy over the last two weeks and I am SO pleased with how it’s coming along.  I feel like I have gained square footage to my home.  I have found some AMAZING products along the way that I can’t wait to share with you guys.

So… First was first.  I had to clean the place out before doing anything.  I decided to tackle the beast first.  And by beast I mean my ever growing scrap wood pile that was taking up half my garage!

Let me show you what I came up with!

Garage Storage Lumber Cart

DIY Garage Storage

How fun is that??  It’s my Shanty Garage Storage Cart!  Not even kidding… I LOVE this guy.  It has storage for my scrap wood and long boards.  It also has a full sheet of peg board for tools on one side and there is a great shelf on the top for my spray paint and stains.  Can I get a woohoo??

You can click the button below to download the FREE printable plans!  Thanks to Jay from Jay’s Custom Creation for putting all of Shanty2Chic’s original designs into printable plans for our readers!  He’s too legit to quit!  Check his site out… He has some great plans of his own!

Print Lumber Cart Free Plans

Let me show you how I made it!

I started by creating the frame for the base.  This is what it looks like.  I used 2x4x8 for the whole frame.

Frame for Garage Cart

This is actually a different frame photographed because my shot turned out terrible.  But… It is the same exact build.  Only I added an extra 29″ piece to my frame when building the cart.

I used my Kreg Jig to build this whole thing!

Kreg Jig

For those of you thinking… What the heck is a Kreg Jig?… Be sure to check out our quick video explaining it.  You can see that HERE.

I used 1 1/2″ pocket holes and 2 1/2″ pocket holes for all of the corners like this.

Pocket Holes

Next, I covered that frame with 3/4″ PureBond Plywood.  I love me some PureBond!  After learning all of the benefits of this great brand, it has become our number 1 choice for plywood.  Plus, it’s beautiful!  Win win.

I had the guys at Home Depot cut this base piece to 32″ x 8′.  I used the remaining 16″ piece on the dividers below.

On top of the 3/4″ plywood base, I built the storage rack for my long boards.  These are all made from the 2x3x8 boards.  I made three of these, all the same size.  I attached them to the plywood base using pocket hole screws.  You can place your shelf boards where you want them as long as all three are in the same place.  Mine are all about 12″ from each other.

IMG_0058

After finishing those, I attached another piece of PureBond to the back of these 3 frames.  I used wood screws through the plywood and into the back of the frames to hold them in place.  I had Home Depot cut this piece to 40″ x 8′.  I use that  8″ scrap on a part below.

I added a 2 4×4 sheets of peg board to this side.  I would have done a full 4×8′ sheet, but it didn’t fit so well with the 5 kids in the Suburban 😉  I used wood screws with small washers to attach it to the frame like this.

Peg board

Next, I cut 5 pieces of 3/4″ PureBond Plywood for the dividers.  These were all 16″ x 24″.

Dividers

I used 3/4″ pocket holes and 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws into both the base and the back plywood piece like this…

Kreg Jig Pocket Holes

For the front I used an 8′ scrap from one of the PureBond pieces and a 1x6x8 board to keep the wood inside the dividers.  For this part I used Gorilla Wood Glue and finish nails.

wood glue

Ryobi-AirStrike-Cordless-Brad-Nailer

IMG_0034

For the long board shelves I added 1/4″ PureBond plywood strips to create a shelf.  These would normally be too thin as a shelf, but since I will only be using 8′ pieces in this area, the weight is even over the whole thing and it helps the boards slide in easy.

Lumber Storage

I used particle board shelves for my top shelf.  These were the cheapest option and the perfect size for that to shelf.  I wanted it to be strong and hold my extra goodies.

How to make a Garage Storage cart

Finally I added some casters!  I started with four 250lb casters, but decided it would roll much easier by adding a couple more to the center.  So glad I did this.  It only cost about $10 more, and this baby is super easy to move around… Even loaded down with wood!

casters

I topped it off with a set of pull handles on each side close to the top.  These are great!  I found them at Lowe’s.  They are actually called gate pulls and you can find them in the outdoor hardware aisle.

gate pulls_edited-1

And my final FINAL step was loading it up!!

Garage Organization

DIY Garage Storage

Storage Cart for the Garage

Garage Storage Lumber Cart

Garage Storage DIY

What do you think??  This has been a lifesaver for me.  Literally… I am not tripping over wood anymore.  And, I can actually see my scraps and what I have!  Did I mention that I love it??  Good… Just checking.

Remember, you can download or print the full set of FREE plans by clicking HERE!!

Thank you so much for stopping by!  I hope I explained everything well, but let me know if you have any questions at all!  I would love for you to pin this and share it with your peeps below!

Have a great weekend!

Click below to purchase a Kreg Jig Master System!

1. Holly Arizona on August 17, 2013 at 1:26 am

I love this! I decided to make something very similar to this after seeing this post 🙂 I got all the stuff I’ll need this evening and I plan on starting on it tomorrow morning 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing this.

• Shanty2Chic on August 17, 2013 at 5:06 am

Oh that’s great!! So happy to hear it…. Send a pic when you get it all done!

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 5, 2018 at 4:10 am

I love my lumber cart! I used the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org to build mine – I highly recommend you visit that website and check their plans out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

Go to www. EasyWoodwork.org – click the red link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

2. Kathy Owen on August 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm

love this project and I want that Ryobi Airstrike Nailer. I met you guys at the Spice It Up workshop at Haven. You are amazing!

3. Tricia Murdoch on August 1, 2013 at 12:12 am

A friend show this to me and I HAD to have one! It took me 4 days (nights really, as I have 4 little ones who won’t let me get anything done during the day!) And I am all about “re-purposing” so I used and old 8ft door I had as the base which was 36″ wide but worked like a charm! Now on to my next project!!! Great idea, thanks!!!!

4. Smart Girl on July 30, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Love it! I totally need something like this. Something else to add to my list! 🙂

5. Kathleen Bell on July 30, 2013 at 10:48 am

Love this! Great job. Thanks for sharing the how to.

6. Rosemari Goodrich on July 29, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I’m dying to know how you did the shelves above the door there. I want those!

7. VickiT on July 27, 2013 at 2:47 pm

That is an awesome cart! You did a fabulous job on it. Thank you for being so nice and giving us the info needed to be able to make our own. I am also totally jealous of that floor in your garage. It’s really wonderful.

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:10 am

Thank you Vicki! Happy to help and thank you for your sweet message!

8. Lori Young on July 27, 2013 at 8:11 am

Oh I am totally in Need and Love with this!! Can’t wait to get some time in my schedule {aka no clients furniture in my garage so I can build it!!}!!!

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:10 am

Yeah! Good luck with the free time 😉 Send pics if you get one made!

9. Erin L Stikes on July 27, 2013 at 8:06 am

Wow, I’m totally drooling over this thing!!! I just finished building a farmhouse table with a friend yesterday, and the garage is a total mess!! This would have saved me, both keeping the area organized, and also keeping me in good graces with my hubby!!! This is definitely my next build!! Great Job, Whitney!!! As usual!!!

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:11 am

Thank you Erin! Congrats on finishing the table… My garage looks like a war zone after a big build 🙂 This is helping! Thanks for your sweet message!

• Dan on August 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Could you please post a pic of your farmhouse table. Would love to see it.

• Shanty2Chic on August 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Which one Dan? We actually have done 3!

• Dan on August 22, 2013 at 1:32 pm

oops, sorry Shanty. I was talking to Erin. But hey, I’ll be glad too look at yours. Any 3 please.;)

• Dan on August 23, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Shanty, could you show me any pics?

10. Cassandra Stambaugh on July 26, 2013 at 8:37 pm

This is amazingly awesome! We have a major garage overhaul coming up and this is definitely going on my inspiration list.

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:12 am

Oh yeah! Mine has been major too… Hard work but so worth it! 🙂

11. Carolyn Ruiz on July 26, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I love this!!!!! I was just thinking about this as I was picking through my wood scrap pile. I am making the fancy x desk and was able to use a lot of my scrap wood for this project. I am going to have to make this so I can hunt for wood a lot easier. 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:13 am

Awesome Carolyn! That has been my favorite part… I can actually see my scraps!

12. John C. Ware on July 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I built something similar to this several years ago. Started out with the hard-plastic wheels like you’ve got there shown in pictures. After 3-4 years, the wheels went flat on the bottom, and it was almost impossible to move. So, upgraded to steel-wheels. I’d suggest going with them to begin with. You load that baby up and it will be heavy! Nice project.

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:14 am

Good to know John… I will keep that in mind when these start giving out on me. I don’t roll it around too much, so hopefully it will be a while before I need to. Thanks for the advice! 🙂

13. jaimelaplant@new.rr.com on July 26, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I love this and need it so bad! My basement is a disaster area with all my scrap wood lying around and I never can find anything. Do you know about how much this cost you?

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:15 am

I did the whole thing for about $150. It is a bit high, but so functional and worth it!

14. 7 Crestbridge Lane on July 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm

You all never cease to amaze me – I need this so bad – seems like there is never enough time for all the projects I want to tackle. Thanks again for sharing – always inspiring me to get moving!

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:16 am

Aww… Thank you! This comment made me smile 🙂

15. Linda Crandall on July 26, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Awesome!

16. CityGirlCountryBloke on July 26, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I am building this for my husband!!

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:16 am

Good thinking… He will totally love you for it! 😉

17. Kelley Wierling on July 26, 2013 at 10:47 am

I wish I had a garage to store something so big. I am envious! Nice work. Maybe I can make something smaller that will work in my storage shed. I really, really like it. 🙂

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:17 am

You could definitely modify! This one is big, but it’s amazing how much space it actually saves and creates!

18. Jennifer Kirk on July 26, 2013 at 9:06 am

Will you come fix my garage?!? It’s in desperate need of a makeover!

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:18 am

Haha! You know I will help…. As long as I can post about it 😉

19. Chris English on July 26, 2013 at 7:57 am

WOW! Definitely building this for the garage

• Shanty2Chic on July 29, 2013 at 5:19 am

Yeah! Happy to hear it! Send pics if you get one done!

20. Adriana Hernandez on July 26, 2013 at 7:33 am