DIY Woodworking – Queen Bed

Hey guys! I am so, so excited to share my new bed with you!!! My mattress is officially off the ground and on this BEAUTIFUL DIY Queen Bed!!!

DIY-Woodworking-BedI am in LOVE 🙂  I partnered with Home Depot to build this bed.  All of the supplies and tools can be found in their store so it’s a one stop shopping trip! You can get the full tutorial and FREE printable plans HERE or just click the image above!

Love the bedding?  I think the texture and the white look so pretty with the style and color of the bed!  I found it at Birchlane!  You can click here to check it out!

I also promised to share modifications to make this bed a King size! It’s a simple adjustment to modify this to any mattress size 🙂 Make sure to measure and cut as you go for the trim.

King: Add 16″ to the width

Full: Subtract 6″ from the width and 5″ from the length

Twin: Subtract 21″

I spent about a weekend of work on this from the first cut to the final coat of stain and about $400 total in lumber.  Your cost will vary depending on the trim selections you make.  $400 is great for a wooden queen bed not to mention, the bed that inspired this piece is $3,000 before shipping and tax! WOW!!

Thanks for stopping by!

~Ashley

1. Nicole Shearer on January 7, 2019 at 5:16 pm

Did you trim the rounded edge off the 2×4’s in this project? It’s hard to tell from the photo.

2. Keesha on September 11, 2018 at 6:59 am

can you please provide updated plans as the Home depot website doesnt supply the information anymore.

• Heather Theis on September 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm

click on the click for plans thing up there. Drops a pdf right on down:)

3. www.EasyWoodwork.info on July 29, 2018 at 8:37 am

🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨
    🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨

Use the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.info for this project like I did – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨

4. Karen on June 20, 2018 at 4:20 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE update this. There is no link available for these plans. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have this in the King Size!

5. John on April 28, 2018 at 9:12 am

Hello, I was wondering if there is another link to the plans as the two links above sent me to home depot?

Thanks,
    John

6. Allison Prince on September 21, 2016 at 7:03 pm

I see that you wrote that to make this a king bed, you need to add 16″ to the width. That seems simple enough, but when I actually sit down and look at how to do that, I’m stuck. It doesn’t seem as simple when I’m looking at all the cuts and alternate measurements to be made. Have you by any chance written up full plans for a king bed? Thanks!

7. Justin on April 7, 2016 at 6:17 am

The 2×3 casing on the foot board is not the same depth on the board from top to bottom (my fault). Any suggestions on spacers I can place behind the trim to even the look out? Maybe a thin strip of wood to soak in stain? Thanks,

8. Justin on March 23, 2016 at 7:40 pm

I can’t find 2×3 boards in my local stores. Can I substitute 2×4?

• Shanty2Chic on March 24, 2016 at 7:27 am

Yes, the over all look of the bed will be different because the casing won’t be flush with the sides of the headboard and footboard now. I think it would look great still. The measurements shouldn’t change. Hope this helps!

• Keesha on September 18, 2018 at 11:50 am

Have you by chance drawn up a plan for a king size? I tried adding the 16 inches you discussed into the plan, but cant seem to figure out where to compensate it at?

9. Lyndsay King on April 29, 2015 at 6:45 am

Hi! I am curious about the measurements for a California King size bed. IUt would need to be long as well correct? Thanks

10. felicia on December 30, 2014 at 9:03 am

what color is on the wall? love it

11. Tasha Anderson on December 17, 2014 at 11:29 am

Do you have plans for a king size frame?

12. Stephany Oliver on October 4, 2014 at 12:43 pm

* third shorter side rail

13. Stephany Oliver on October 4, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Hi. This looks amazing! Would it be possible to just make a this side rail shorter in place of the footboard?

• Ashley on October 4, 2014 at 2:34 pm

You could. You would still need to use the 4×4 piece at the bottom of the footboard. Hope this helps 🙂

14. Debora Cadene on October 4, 2014 at 5:30 am

This is an awesome bed, but as many times as I’ve looked around, I can’t find the cut lists, or any details on the side panels and assembly. Did I miss a link someplace??

thanks bunches,
    Debbie.

• Debora Cadene on October 4, 2014 at 10:51 am

Ok…I got to it. The computer was blocking it as a pop up. Thank for the plans…

• Ashley on October 4, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Great!!

15. Sarah Griffiths on October 3, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I really LOVE it when you guys post how much it costs to build… It really helps. What was cost on this?

• Ashley on October 4, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Thank you for catching that! I meant to add it to the post. I spent about $400, which may seem like a lot but, the bed that inspired this one was $3,000 before shipping and tax 🙂