DIY Ornament Tree

Hey guys! We are back with Day 4 in our 12 Days of Christmas series!

12DaysCOUNTER4This might be one of my favorites (actually, I really can’t decide πŸ˜‰ ) But this DIY Ornament TreeΒ is definitely at the top!

DIY-Ornament-TreeAren’t they adorable! They only took me about an hour to make and I spent about $15 for both of them!

I’m going to show you how I made them but, make sure you also print the Free Printable Plans! You can click HERE or the image below to print them.

Click-for-Free-Ornament-Tree-PlansLet’s get started!

first-miter-cutI made my 50 degree cuts

second-miter-cutThen slid my miter arm over and cut my 20 degree angles on the other ends.

drill-pilot-holesNext, I drilled pilot holes to fit the eye hooks.

pilot-holes-drilledHere is where I drilled my holes:

Large Tree:

Left (green) piece: 3″, 9″, 18″

Right (red) piece: 6″, 14″, 22″

Small Tree:

Left (green) piece: 2.5″, 11″

Right (red) piece: 8″, 16″

cuts-madeMy last cuts were the 1×4 bases.

Varathane-early-americanI decided it would be easier to stain the trees before assembling them. I applied one coat of Varathane Early American stain to all sides of each piece. I used a clean cloth to apply the stain then blended the stain 5 minutes later with a separate clean cloth.

glue-pieces-togetherI used Gorilla Super Glue Gel to attach the pieces. Typically I would use wood glue but my pieces were already stained.

nail-pieces-togetherThen, I used 1″ nails in my Airstrike 18-gauge brad nailer. If you don’t have a nailer, you can just use a hammer and finishing nails.

tree-frame-assembledEasy!

attach-base-to-frameNow,Β attach the 1×4 bases the same way.

juteNow for the finishing touches! I cut one long piece of jute for each tree

attach-juteand tied a knot at the lowest eye hook.

attach-jute-at-topThen, I thread the jute through each eye hook. I worked my way to the top and tied another knot at the top eye hook.

small-ornamentsI found these cute mini ornaments at Marshall’s and thought they would be PERFECT on my new trees πŸ˜‰

attach-small-ornamentsThey have a keyring type hook so I was able to just pinch the jute between the rings. If you don’t have something similar, you can just use a small piece of jute and tie the ornaments to the jute on the trees.

Ornament-Tree-DIY

Done πŸ™‚

DIY-Ornament-Tree

DIY-Wooden-Ornament-TreeI love them! Inexpensive, easy and there are so many ways to change these up and personalize them to your taste!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Make sure to visit our friends participating in the 12 Days of Christmas series! They are sure to impress and there is a giveaway going on one of ourΒ blogs everyday!

10433122_1017499081609411_4239255067452426401_n

988432_10152332444911887_4419231559015510652_n

10353702_10107669742671094_948847153943059421_n

10848030_10204298025665001_7674755367183651416_n

1526783_598763596919692_133308851119618857_n

1. Elaine on August 30, 2018 at 10:36 am

Could you please tell me what size of eye hooks do you use? I’m making 25 of these with a bunch of my friends, and I need to order all the eyelets but want to make sure the size is right! I can’t quite zoom in to the pic far enough to read the size.

2. πŸ”¨πŸ”¨πŸ”¨πŸ”¨

I built my own using the plans at www. WoodworkPlans.info – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

Head on over to www. WoodworkPlans.info if you want to learn more – click the pink link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

✌✌✌✌✌✌✌✌✌✌✌

3. www.EasyWoodwork.info on July 29, 2018 at 8:18 am

βœ”βœ”βœ”πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ”¨πŸ”¨πŸ”¨ Mine looks aboslutely beautiful! I built it myself! I used the plans at EasyWoodwork.info to build mine – I highly recommend you visit that website and check their plans out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha βœ”βœ”βœ”πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ”¨πŸ”¨πŸ”¨

Go to www. EasyWoodwork.info – click the pink link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

βœ”βœ”βœ”πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ”¨πŸ”¨πŸ”¨

βœ”βœ”βœ”πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ”¨πŸ”¨πŸ”¨

4. RenoCompare on November 26, 2015 at 8:41 am

We just keep finding such great stuff on your site! We love this and would like to share it in our upcoming Christmas decorations post. I’ll get the link over to you as soon as it’s live…Thanks again Jamie

5. Carole on January 19, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Reminds me of the metal ornament trees from Crate and Barrel. I’ve looked at them for the past three years or so, but I can’t bring myself to pay their hefty price, even on clearance. This year I told hubby that we should make one.

I plan to use metal or dowel for the display rods, but thank you for sharing the basic design!

6. erin Meerzaman on December 29, 2014 at 6:26 am

Adorable. I really want to make this but my saw only goes to 45 degrees what would I change the bottom angle to so that it would not have a gap? Thanks!

7. Dona Stone on December 8, 2014 at 8:44 am

I printed off the plans and realized my saw only goes to 45 degrees in both directions. Is there a hack I should know?

• Matt Prio on December 19, 2015 at 11:07 am

just found this site, so late on the answer. just made these myself. you could easily cut a block with a 5Β° angle, put that against the fence and set the saw at 45Β°… bam! 50Β°.

8. BrooklinDesignCo on December 5, 2014 at 10:22 am

Great project for adding to the holiday decorations. Might build them this weekend.

9. Michael Wurm, Jr on December 4, 2014 at 8:53 pm

You girls know I LOVE these! Your tutorial is perfect. If I have time, I’m making them this weekend … IBC style. πŸ˜‰

xo Michael

10. Mindy on December 4, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Adorable! And I’m officially obsessed with those ornaments.

11. Funky Junk Interiors on December 4, 2014 at 11:01 am

These are so gorgeous! I’d love a set for in front of a window, love how the sunlight can shine right on in!