DIY King Size Bed Free Plans

Holy guacamole.  This is a big darn bed.  I’m so glad I finally get to reveal it to you!

I have been wanting to build my own bed for years now.  I had a beautiful store bought bed prior to this albatross.  I loved it, but have always had the itch to create one myself.  I ran across my inspiration at a store called Arhaus.  The store is full of inspiration… As well as very hefty price tags.  The original bed before shipping and tax for them was $3699.00.  Nope, that was not a typo.  I am happy to say that I built my version for under $400. (Insert happy dance)  Check it out… My new DIY King Size Bed Free Plans!

Yah.  I love it. A whole lot.

As always, I will walk you through this entire build here (with 42 photos… you have been warned) and you can also download and print the free plans  at the bottom of this post!

Let’s get started!  I imagine writing this tutorial is going to take longer than actually building the bed, so let’s get a move on.

DIY King Size Bed Free Plans

The posts of this bed are 4×4.  These are untreated boards and can be found at both big hardware stores.  You won’t be able to cut through a 4×4 without a 12″ miter saw.  So, if yours is smaller, you can have the hardware store make these few cuts.  You can also use a hand saw with a little elbow grease.  Or, upgrade your saw!  I use Ridgid’s 12″ sliding compound miter saw, but I am so pumped to try out Ryobi’s new 12″ sliding miter that comes out in a few weeks!

Watch our How to Use a Miter Saw video HERE!

Ridgid 12 inch miter saw

I decided to attach all of the planks before building the actual headboard support so I could get an exact measurement.  I used white wood boards to keep the cost down, and I love how rustic they look when stained.  I used my Kreg Jig for this entire build.  I use the K5, but I also own the K4 and the new Foreman. I love every single one of them for different reasons.  If you are looking to invest and get one, I would go for the K5.  It’s a small amount more than the K4, but I find that it’s much more user friendly and has lots of upgrades that make it my fav.  And, it’s easy enough for a beginner.  In fact, I would suggest beginning with a Kreg Jig.  They make building much easier.

Watch our How to Use a Kreg Jig Video HERE!

Let me explain how I did the pocket holes on the headboard.  This uses 1×6 and 2×6.  I didn’t do pocket holes in any of the 2×6.  I did most of the planks with 3/4″ pocket holes down one side like this…

wood board for headbord

When I lined all of my boards up, you can see that on the boards sitting next to the 2×6 boards, I did pocket holes down both sides.  This allowed me to attach into the 2×6 as well as the next plank.

Pocket Holes for headboard

Here it all is laid out and you can see where all of the pocket holes were positioned…

plank the headboard

Once I had that finished I took the measurement to build the frame that sits behind it.  For this I used 2×3 boards and made 1.5″ pocket holes on each end.  I used 2.5″ pocket hole screws to attach them to the 4×4 posts.  You want the face of the support to sit 1.5″ from the front of the posts.  This will allow it to all line up correctly.  Once the frame was made, I laid it on the back side of the planks.  I used wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails with my Ryobi 16G finish nailer to attach through the frame and into the planks.

Back of headboard

Here is the front of it…

Builidng the headboard

Next, you will add trim pieces.  These are simple cuts.  I measured the space exactly on each one rather than going from the plan.  I used wood glue and finish nails through these pieces and into the front of the headboard.

Trim the heaboard

First two lines of planks glued and nailed…

King Headboard Progress

Now for the decorative side pieces.  These were simple to make with my jig saw.  I started by making just the miter cut on the 2×4 using my miter saw.

Miter Cut

I clamped that piece to my workbench and drew out the design per the plan.

Kreg Clamp

Then, I just used my Ryobi 18V jig saw to cut the design out slowly.

decorative side piece

Here it is…

Decorative piece on king bed

Add some glue to the end that will attach to the bed…

wood glue

And I secured it using my finish nailer with 2″ nails.

Nail on side decorative pieces
clamp decorative piece

Next, you will add the 2×6 boards.  These are heavy.  I used a good amount of wood glue and 2″ finish nails to attach it in place.  I also ran a few wood screws through the back of the headboard after that and into the 2×6 just to be extra safe.

clamp decorative piece

I also added the top board at this point.  After glueing and nailing it with 2″ nails, I did add some wood screws through the top and into the headboard just to be extra safe.

Clamping the headboard top

See my new Kreg clamps??  I love them.  I have 4 and I want 36 ๐Ÿ™‚  They are like having an extra set of hands around and they are so simple to use.

Headboard finished.  Moving onto footboard.

This is basically the exact same build as the headboard with different measurements.  I did do everything the same though.  Here are some photos to show you…

pocket holes front of footboard

I did use 1×4 for the supports on the footboard since it wasn’t as large as the headboard.  I used my right angle clamp to hold it all in place while I attached using 2.5″ pocket hole screws into the leg.

Kreg Right Angle Clamp

Here is the frame ready for the planks…

Footboard supports

I used wood glue and nails through the back of the supports and into the planks.

Finish nailer Ryobi
Back of footboard

Added my trim pieces to the front…

Ryobi Airstrike Finish Nailer
building a king size footboard

Then my decorative side pieces…

Nail on side decorative pieces

Now the 2×6 runners…

Wood glue on footboard
Building a king footboard

I put the top 2×6 on last before moving to the bed’s side rails.

I used PureBond Plywood for the base of the side rails.  I had the guys at Home Depot rip mine to size so I could get it home easy.  I used Birch.  You will start with two pieces that look like this…

Side rails plywood

Next, I used wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails to trim these out starting with the top board.

side rails of bed

Next, I added the smaller boards.

building the bed rails

Once I had this trimmed out I used my Kreg Jig to make 1.5″ pocket holes on each end and running down the top of each side rail.  I used my K3 mounted to a board to make my pocket holes.

Kreg Jig on bed rail
Pocket holes for bed side rails

The ends of each side rail should look like this…

Pocket holes on bed rails

I used 2.5″ pocket hole screws to attach the top 2×3 and the side rails.

Inside of bed rail

And here she is ready for stain!  I stained everything before getting it inside.

Baseboard DIY

I used a new fav stain color on my bed.  It’s called Ash by Varathane and you can find it at Home Depot.  It’s not a very dark brown, but where the grain catches the stain it really goes a black tone which I love.

Varathane Wood Stain Ash

Now putting it together… This was something I did enlist lots of help on.  My hubby and his friend moved the headboard in first.  Then I cut a few 4×4 scraps to help hold the rails in place while I used 2.5″ pocket hole screws through the pocket holes on the rails and into the legs.

Kreg Pocket Holes to attach bed

After that I did the same to the footboard.  Finally, I cut all of the planks to run under the mattress.  These all use a block under them to support the weight of the mattress.   I nailed them in place with 2″ finish nails into the runners on the sides.

supports on king bed
Attaching the king bed

That’s it!  Told you it would take forever ๐Ÿ™‚

But… I LOVE IT.  I will say… This is not a super advanced build by any means.  All of the cuts are straight and many are the same.  I would say it is very labor intensive.  I was sore for two days after building it… Which really is more a testament to my physical health, but we’ll blame the bed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I hope you LOVE it as much as I do!

King Size Bed by Shanty2Chic Free Woodworking Plans
DIY King Size Bed Free Plans by Shanty2Chic
King Bed DIY by Shanty2Chic Free Woodworking Plans

You can download and print the FREE plans by clicking HERE

The bedding was a Valentine’s gift from my hubby.  It’s all from Restoration Hardware.

The large metal ampersand magnet board can be found HERE!

The color on the walls is Valspar Homestead Resort Parlor Taupe.

The mirrors are from Hobby Lobby as well as the hooks I used to hang them.  Wayfair carries one that is very similar and super cute HERE!

The nightstands are a little sneak peek for next week or so… One isn’t totally finished but you guys will love them!

1. Melanie on January 23, 2022 at 12:39 am

I showed my husband this site and asked if he would build me this bed. He built ours out of rough cedar. We went out and bought a very nice king size mattress, box spring and a 6โ€ mattress topper to go with. Weโ€™ve been sleeping in it for the last 3 years. I love climbing into our big bed. Thank you for sharing the plans,

2. Chris Trail on December 13, 2021 at 4:56 pm

I just finished this. I made it 6″ narrower for our King bed – still plenty of room to tuck in the comforter and things. I also shortened the footboard panels so they are 6″ off the floor to allow the robot sweeper to run under. Also, instead of 1x slats to hold bed and supports in middle, I routed som dados in the 1×2’s on side of rails and then used upright 2×4’s to go from one side to other. This leaves the underneath side completely open. We love it.

• Chris Trail on December 13, 2021 at 4:59 pm

Also one more thing, I ordered some bed brackets from Amazon that I screwed onto the rails / headboard / footboard so I don’t need any pocketholes at all. This allows me to take it apart quickly if I ever need to.

3. Erica Mink on July 22, 2021 at 9:23 pm

My husband and I made this bed. Well, not exactly. The plans are not completely detailed and we had to make a few alterations, like we turned the little wing-side pieces forward instead of sideways to reduce the overall width to fit in our between-windows space. This also required narrowing the headboard and footboard, but lucky for me he’s an engineer and also knows his way around the woodshop. He’s also really cute ๐Ÿ™‚ Even with the 6″ narrowing it fits a king mattress with enough room to fit the bedclothes into the box base. And the BED? It’s a BEAST. We’re going to have to die in it because it’s so effing heavy (even carrying the parts up from the basement I almost got a hernia) there is no way it’s ever going anywhere. But with that comes stability. He tosses around and wakes up before I do and that used to piss me off. This rock doesn’t move at all. Also, learning to drill pocket holes was very fun ๐Ÿ™‚ I wish I could post a picture here because it’s really gorgeous!

• Erica Mink on July 22, 2021 at 9:37 pm

I wanted to add that we lengthened the legs by 6′ because I wanted to have room for storage underneath. Right now it’s just ugly wheelie carts but I have plans to add a tailored (not frilly, I’m not a frilly kind of woman) skirt to the bottom edge to hide the carts. The bed is tall, but so are the adorable and capable husband and me.

• Erica Mink on July 22, 2021 at 9:39 pm

I meant 6 INCHES not 6 foot lol. That WOULD be a tall bed!

4. Damicles on June 30, 2021 at 1:25 pm

I too want to build a modified version with hollow posts and hinges to allow for slide outs and hidden compartments. Extend the length and width of the headboard for slides and add drawers to the bottom area. Great job on this.

5. Tyler Beam on April 26, 2021 at 8:12 am

What size brad nails do you use?

6. Webb on March 23, 2021 at 6:05 am

What did you use for the planks to support mattress?

7. Angela on November 18, 2020 at 7:47 pm

Can you give me the measurements for a queen size bed and a full size bed like this. I really want to build those two sizes for my family. If you could please do that for me. Thanks in advance!! By the way I love yโ€™all video and yโ€™all do an awesome job.

8. Zachary Coriell on November 8, 2020 at 11:28 am

Just want to clarify that the bed slats are in fact 82 inches long.

• Zachary Coriell on November 8, 2020 at 11:29 am

Finished building the headboard, footboard and side rails just wanted to be sure about the slats before I started assembling everything. Thanks so much, love the bed so far

9. Denise Johnson on September 14, 2020 at 4:45 pm

Could I please get the measurements for the side rails I am having trouble with that step only I am not sure what size to cut the plywood at.

10. Samuel Adler on September 10, 2020 at 7:26 am

Brilliant work!!
    In a word.

I was wondering how you managed all these together.
    And, would love to see a Throne for the King, btw. ๐Ÿ˜€

What would it be if the whole bed is colored dark – chocolate or complete black?
    Pretty convincing as retro, right?

11. Angelique on August 25, 2020 at 9:51 am

I made the bed and it is wonderful I wish their was a way to post a picture

12. Chris on August 25, 2020 at 9:35 am

This to me is the best looking king bed Iโ€™ve found online. Just finished building it n we love it! Wish I could post a pic of it. It came out so great! Thank yโ€™all for the free plans!

13. Danielle on July 8, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Where did you get your bedding? I love it!

14. Angelique on May 24, 2020 at 10:53 am

Hi I would like to know how high to you natal the interior support beam That hold the palette in place.

15. Kevin on May 17, 2020 at 4:34 pm

First time trying to build home furniture turned out great. I added 4 drawers , dog sleep area under foot of bed, night stands attached to each side, and head and foot of bed raise.

16. ryan on March 8, 2020 at 11:04 pm

1 1/4′ screws for the 1x boards and 2 1/2′ screws for the 2x’s. the plans only say 1 1/4″ screws, so I am guessing it was just an oversight

17. shawn reeves on February 4, 2020 at 1:13 pm

i would like to have the rustic queen bed plans. but in king size…..if possible….thankyou

18. Kylie on October 13, 2019 at 5:27 pm

How could this be made for a queen size bed?

19. Jeff on October 8, 2019 at 8:09 pm

Good Evening;

I want to make this for a California King. Is there a breakdown of the change in dimensions for that? I have no issues going into the plans to figure it out, but thought I would ask the experts (or anyone following) first.

This one looks challenging, but I have really been impressed with everything I have made from you guys so far.

Thank you so much for all of your plans.

20. Rebecca Bunch on October 7, 2019 at 6:35 pm

How big in the bed frame?

21. Zoey Nestor on September 30, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Hi! This is everything I have been looking for !!! I was just wondering what approximately did the materials cost? Trying to budget to build our own for our master!
    Thanks!
    Zoey

22. Arial on March 17, 2019 at 10:21 pm

Thank you so much for the plans! We made a double queen size bed and itโ€™s massive and beautiful! We actually went with the cheap wood so it ended up costing us about $250. Itโ€™s solid as a mofo though. Thank you so much! I have pics but donโ€™t know how to post them!

23. William on March 15, 2019 at 4:06 pm

So, the width across the siderails is 82″ – as per the 82″ slats that are used. King size mattresses are 76″ wide. What is the extra 6″ for?

24. Tony Shepherd on March 5, 2019 at 6:58 pm

I know this post is from like 3 years ago, but I’m really wanting to build this as a surprise for my wife. However, we have a Queen Mattress. The only thing I can’t figure out is what size to cut the 2X3s. I would be able to figure out the rest; I know Queen is 60″, so would I cut to that size, or would it be 62″ to allow for the rails?

25. T. Smith on February 11, 2019 at 9:32 pm

I built this bed per the plan and turned out great – went together as it should. When we ordered our king mattress (not looking at size) it showed up and is 76×80โ€ which seems to be standard size. However, this left about 6โ€ gap between mattress and side rails. I went back and double checked the plans – slats are 82โ€. Ended up turning the mattress to make work – did I miss something tho?

• William on March 15, 2019 at 4:42 pm

I’m in the same boat as you. I have 6 inches leftover on the side. I’m going to build out the siderails with 2 stacked 2x3s and stain/poly them to match the rest. It isn’t the best fix, but I didn’t like the look of the mattress turned the other way.

I wish my wife took a picture of my face when we dropped the mattress in place and I realized that the bed is 6″ too wide. I nearly had a conniption. I have a solution, but I’m very curious if I missed something and that extra 6″ width is simply part of the design.

• David Moss on March 2, 2020 at 11:24 am

They did that so you would have 3 inches on each side to tuck in your comforter….

26. T. Smith on February 11, 2019 at 9:18 pm

I built this bed per the plan and turned out great – went together as it should. When we ordered our king mattress (not looking at size) it showed up and is 76×80โ€ which seems to be standard size. However, this left about 6โ€ gal between mattress and side rails. I went back and double checked the plans – slats are 82โ€. Ended up turned mattress to make work – did I miss something tho?

27. Joe Gonzalez on January 10, 2019 at 11:16 am

Did you use 2 1/2 inch pocket hole screws throughout the entire build? The plans say to use 1 1/4 inch screws.

28. Stacy Foster on January 2, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Is there a way to make an additional plan for a second design, the base with storage? Make 2 or 3 drawers on each side instead of just being purely for looks?

29. Amy on January 1, 2019 at 8:16 pm

I’m a little behind on this bandwagon but I have been wanting to build this frame for quite some time. I think I finally have my hubby on board. Only question I have that I haven’t seen on here for this plan is, can we add storage drawers to it? If so, do you have another plan we can kind of run off of but keep this look (or any other advice)? PS- You ladies are the inspiration behind my desire to learn to be more independent with my projects! Love what you do! Thank you!!!

30. Travis akkerman on December 29, 2018 at 11:46 am

What was the total cost of just the wood

• William on March 15, 2019 at 4:37 pm

I sourced my wood from a local lumber company and Lowes. Total lumber was around $400. I made a few minor modifications to bring the price down.about $60-$100. Nothing visible.

31. Karen Stellrecht on December 23, 2018 at 9:38 pm

We are in the midst of building this bed which i absolutely LOVE!! I went to buy the stain and they don’t sell Ash. What would you recommend to be close to it? I bought two different stains and one is too black and one is too “traditional” brown. Any advice on what would be close to the ash colored stain that you used?

32. Jonathan Hartman on October 26, 2018 at 7:51 am

Hi! ๐Ÿ™‚ What is the depth of the inside of the bed? I would like to add a boxspring but I’m unsure of the size I should buy.

33. Roxanne Steward on October 17, 2018 at 4:19 pm

How easy would it be to add drawers underneath?
    I want to get rid of my dresser.

34. Jessica on October 3, 2018 at 10:59 am

Did anyone ever get the instructions for the Queen size bed?

35. Sean Sehl on September 22, 2018 at 7:42 am

My wife fell in love with this design and wanted me to make this for her. The plans were easy to follow and the best part is she loves it!! Thanks so much!! The kentwiod nights stands are the next project!!!
    IMG_0774.HEIC
    IMG_0775.HEIC

36. Chris Ruff on August 23, 2018 at 8:46 am

Iโ€™m wanting to build this bed for my brother and his wife is there a parts list or a shopping list of the material needed?

37. Angela on August 21, 2018 at 4:59 pm

I am absolutely in love with this bed! Thank you for sharing. Husband just finished 2 weeks ago. Little on the pricey side how we did it but it was well worth it!

38. Taylor Holmen on May 15, 2018 at 9:50 am

Did you rip the edges off all the boards? If so how much do u take off? Going to be making it soon and don’t want to mess up!! Thanks:)

39. Jason on March 26, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Looks great, thanks for sharing.

One question: Going through the cut list and I only see (6) 1X6X18 boards for the headboard and footboard. Looking at the drawings, I count 8 boards required, 4 for the headboard and 4 for the footboard. Am I missing something?

40. Chris on March 26, 2018 at 4:43 pm

I prepping to build this frame. This may be a silly question but aree all king sized beds the same size? Just want to make sure i can build without altering and my king fits. What are inside dimensions? Thanks!

41. Brebda on March 20, 2018 at 4:06 pm

What are the measurements for a California king

42. Wendy Marck on March 13, 2018 at 2:17 pm

I made this as a Queen size frame and we love it! We used the measurements for store bought queen size headboards as our guide. Then we just changed the number of 1×6 boards on the headboard and footboard. We also simplified things by using 1×10 boards on the sides. It still looks great and cut down a lot of time. I don’t see how to post a picture or I would. Couldn’t find the “ash” stain, so I thinned ebony stain and it came out looking very similar to this picture. It’s a gorgeous bed and it only took 2 weekends to build!

43. Jeff on March 4, 2018 at 8:22 pm

I would love to see this plan but with drawers on the side.

44. Paul on February 21, 2018 at 4:40 pm

I’m getting ready to start my bed now and was wondering if you have plans for a nightstand to match?.. thanks

45. Tracy Daniels on February 8, 2018 at 3:31 pm

I recently finished this bed as well for a lady who happen to visit my wifeโ€™s FB page and said she saw it on your site. Small world! I love this page and have done a couple projects from you ladies. Yโ€™all are awesome. Bed was heavy as h***!!! But weโ€™ll worth it.

46. Lisa Hyrup on January 27, 2018 at 11:59 am

I love this bed! I need some help with the color. I bought the stain pictured but when I test it out on my wood it comes out really dark and thick. Did you do anything to alter the color at all?

• Lisa Hyrup on January 27, 2018 at 12:09 pm

IMG_0217.JPG

The stain almost looks black. I’m trying to figure out if I’m missing something?

Thanks!

47. Lauren on January 20, 2018 at 1:29 pm

Did you use any polyurethane for a top coat? Or just the stain itself?

48. Chukwithak on January 18, 2018 at 2:28 am

Prepping to build this. Was this just Doug fir from HD or Loweโ€™s? And has anyone attempted attaching the bed sides with hardware vs pocket holes? Was thinking mortise/non mortise. Donโ€™t want to brake the bed getting crazy if you know what I mean. ??โ€โ™‚๏ธ

• Wendy Marck on March 13, 2018 at 2:20 pm

We used hardware so that the bed can be taken apart easily when we move. We used the kind with the hooks. It is SOLID.

49. Dani on January 3, 2018 at 12:30 pm

Just wondering if you need a box spring for the build or a mattress only? It’s all stained a ready to be put together : ) We decided to purchase all new mattress and bedding for it though, so just want to be sure!

Thx!
    Dani

50. Tony on December 31, 2017 at 5:15 pm

I showed this to my Sweetie and she loved it. Will build it in a few months, but some questions:

The space between our windows is roughly size of a queen. Iโ€™ll be building a king bet. Wondering if it would make sense to extend headboard on either side at window height or just build a โ€œqueen size headband and have bed stick out on either side (which doesnโ€™t sound very attractiveโ€.

51. Julianna on December 23, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Ok I am sorry, Iโ€™ve read all the comments, and Iโ€™m still al little stumped, ok a Queen size mattress 60 inches wide by approximately 80 inches long. In the comments it was saying to subtract between 16-18 inches from the with. So how many slats would I remove to archive this? And which ones do I can still keep the look of this bed? Iโ€™ve looked all over for the plans for a Queen and this is all I can find, comments. Thank you in advance.

52. Brad Meinen on December 13, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Just completed my own diy version of this bed. I love it! I used bed rail bolts and nuts to attach the side rails for easy break down and rebuild instead of all the pocket hole screws. Here is my finished project. Thanks for the awesome plans!

53. Danielle Heath on December 6, 2017 at 9:45 am

Do you guys think this could be make out of palette wood? Or would it not hold the weight..?

54. Richy on November 18, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Hi, i’d love to make this bed in a full size….is there a plan for that somewhere?
    thanks

55. Jill Sampson on November 12, 2017 at 11:28 am

How much would you charge to make a king size frame?

56. Julio C Rivero on September 3, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Can someone tell me what to do to make these plans into a queen bed? I bought all of the material according to the plan, but need to know how to make it into a Queen size. Please help

57. Debora Mikus on August 11, 2017 at 12:21 pm

The king size is a California King, not regular King. Had to make inserts to tighten it up on the box spring. Love the bed anyways.

• Team DJ on October 7, 2017 at 4:27 pm

I am confused. So if I follow the plans exactly it will be too big for my regular (not California) king bed?

• Shanty2Chic on October 7, 2017 at 5:18 pm

We added width on the sides to allow the quilt/comforter to lay without tucking. This bed has been built so many times and it always looks awesome!

• Cyndal on December 29, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Just finished building this bed, but its wayyy to wide. Wish you guys would have included this note into the plans, I much rather would have had the comforter sit on the outside then tucked in. But other then that, its a great bed.

58. Redbeam100 on July 28, 2017 at 2:57 am

Can you use an 18G Brad nailer for this bed?

• Shanty2Chic on July 28, 2017 at 7:27 am

Where the plans call for a nailer, yes. I don’t suggest using the nailer instead of the pocket holes though. Hope this helps!

59. Eric Audette on July 16, 2017 at 9:06 am

How high on the bed rails do you attach the slat rails?

• Nick K on July 17, 2017 at 9:40 am

That really depends on how high you want your mattress. Figure out that height. Subtract the thickness of your mattress and you have the height of the slats. Obviously it needs to fall within the range of the side rails.

60. Eric Audette on July 16, 2017 at 8:42 am

Dosent mention where to install the slat rail on each side I see they’re is no pocket holes in the plywood cause of the rail but what are the measurements from the bottom of the plywood ?

61. rb763 on March 24, 2017 at 11:01 am

I’m about to take on this project and I’m wondering if after building this, anyone felt the headboard is too high. If looks fine in all the photos but when I put the tape measure at 66″ against the wall it seems extremely high compared to our present bed.

62. michael moritz on March 21, 2017 at 9:38 am

So my mattress is a standard King that is 80 inches long. I see the bed rails are only 79 inches long, do i need to modify any cuts or will my mattress still fit? I dont want it to be super tight so i can’t tuck my sheets and comforter in at the foot of the bed.

63. Kimberly Jacona-Stratton on February 20, 2017 at 12:16 pm

I love this design! do you have a plan for a Cal-King 72″x84″

• Christina Champion on March 13, 2017 at 10:18 pm

The plan is larger than that so it might actually fit your Cali king. I am about to start building it and noticed that it’s way to big for a standard king. Glad I’m reading the comments now.

64. Mike on December 7, 2016 at 10:26 am

Looks great. But why so many Kregs? Wouldn’t it be cheaper and stronger to use mortise and tenon jointery?

65. Alex Casciani on September 30, 2016 at 9:40 am

How much does this weigh?

66. GH on September 4, 2016 at 7:00 am

I saw comments on the width being incorrect at 95 1/2″ instead of 92 1/2″ to fit a standard king mattress. Were the plans corrected, or do we still need to take 3″ off of all of the horizontal measurements for the bed to fit a standard king? Thanks

• Jessa on March 5, 2017 at 11:33 am

Did you ever figure this out GH?
      I am trying to figure it out now and I feel your frustration in no response lol!

67. BZ on August 21, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Took a stab at the King. Couldn’t find the right stain so I went with a mid tone with a black wax and lacquer finish. Pretty happy with the result.

• GH on September 4, 2016 at 7:01 am

68. jessica craddock on August 12, 2016 at 9:41 am

I love this bed and am thinking about making it, but we will be buying a new house soon and it needs to be movable. Any suggestions on how I can alter the plans to make the bed a little easier to disassemble as well as make it for a queen?

69. Theresa Chapman on June 29, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Thanks for the plans, I love my new bed!

70. Theresa Chapman on June 20, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Hi! When you did this build did you put a clear coat on it? If so, what brand?

71. Pam S on May 28, 2016 at 11:36 am

This is amazing work. I wish I could make this bed. It seems hard and I don’t even know where to start with the tools. Do you have to be a carpenter to make this bed.

72. Randii Fails Geiger on May 12, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Love the bed, but what is the paint color in your room?

73. Bryce Petersen on April 24, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Just finished up mine. Made some big modifications, but kept the inspiration. Queen Sized

• Rajah Jackson on April 27, 2016 at 9:17 pm

What adjustment(s) did you make to complete the queen?

• Bryce Petersen on April 28, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Hi Rajah, I did a lot of eye balling it and making adjustments on the fly. Basically, I took about 13 inches off the height of the headboard and 7 inches off the height of the foot board and just made the width smaller. I also made the side runners smaller – only 13inches wide

• Rajah Jackson on April 28, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Sounds good. Great job with it!

74. Ben Serpell on April 14, 2016 at 11:41 am

Thank you for the plans. Making my wifes dreams come true!

• Ben Serpell on April 14, 2016 at 11:42 am

My bed

• Angela Vanmeter on August 9, 2017 at 10:53 am

I love the color that you used for your stain… can you tell me the brand / color?

75. Trent on April 12, 2016 at 7:15 am

I just finished my version of this. I added two drawers on each side and made it a platform bed since we don’t have a box spring. One thing is the slats are cut at 82″ in the plan but a king size mattress is only 76″ wide so keep that in mind. I would take out the two small 1×2’s on either side of the paneling of the head and foot board to make up for this difference. But I’ll have to figure out how to make up for the gap some other way… I’d post my sketchup file for my Captain’s bed conversion but I don’t know the best place to host it if anyone would be interested. I don’t know if it’s letting me add a photo either.

• James Lancaster on July 3, 2016 at 11:09 am

Do you have build plans for adding in the drawers and making it a platform bed? That’s exactly what I want to do!

• Greg Ferguson on July 17, 2016 at 6:52 pm

how did you overcome the gaps? i just completed my headboard and trying to troubleshoot the rest

76. Kerrin on April 8, 2016 at 9:43 am

Has anyone built this bed and NOT used a box spring? Did you raise the supports on the frame to give it the same look?

• Nick K on April 8, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I built a more farmhouse style of this bed, but put drawers under and did not need a box spring.

You could easily run a 2×4 the length of the sides and run more slats across the bed to hold up just a matress.

• Kerrin on April 11, 2016 at 9:45 am

Thanks Nick! That is exactly what I was trying to ask!

• Jody on February 7, 2017 at 3:38 pm

So is this plan designed for use with a box spring?

• Kerrin on February 13, 2017 at 11:34 am

Yes it is. But you can adjust the slats as Nick mentioned above if you want to forgo the box spring.

77. Kim S on April 7, 2016 at 1:06 pm

HELP PLEASE! My husband and I are in the process of making this bed right now and are completely stuck. All the pieces are cut and pocket holes drilled. The problem is when I went to screw the pieces together for the headboard slats, the screw is going through the wood to the front! We are using 1.25″ screws and they are still going through. How do we prevent this from happening?

• Nick K on April 8, 2016 at 12:20 pm

are you setting the kreg jig for 1″ or 3/4″ material? When doing thin material I also do tests and adjust the jig accordingly

• Bryce Petersen on April 28, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Hi Kim, what Nick said, make sure you’re jig is set appropriately. You also need to make sure that the drill stop is set appropriately or your holes will bore too deep.

78. G Rice on February 14, 2016 at 6:45 am

Hello. Could you comment on the fact that some others here have pointed out that the dimensions of your plan are too wide for a king mattress? It looks like from your photos that you really did use the plan and your king mattress fit?? By my calculations, the width based on your plans is about 81 inches wide. A standard king is 76. How did yo get your mattress to fit on the bed f yo used this plan? Also, I did not read other posters comments until I had assembled the headboard so I’m looking for a way to either dismantle and subtract boards or leave it as is and make the King mattress fit. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Thank you.

79. Amy on February 11, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Just finished a queen size version of this bed in a gray stain! We are absolutely in love!

• Rajah Jackson on April 27, 2016 at 9:10 pm

How did you adjust the plan to make a queen?

• theiowakid on January 3, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Can you tell me what grey stain you used? Did you clear coat it with anything after?

80. Josephine Crabill on January 29, 2016 at 11:09 pm

If you want to it yourself just look for woodprix website. There is all you need to make it ๐Ÿ™‚

81. Shaun Satter on January 28, 2016 at 12:17 am

I love this bed and really plan on making it. The only question that I have (and it may be silly) but how does it come apart if you ever move? Without cams or other fasteners of the like it seems like you wouldn’t be able to. thank you and great job!

82. MegBee on January 4, 2016 at 12:58 pm

OH I AM OBSESSED. I. NEED. THIS. BED. I have a California King…Will the pattern easily translate to this size?

83. alexandre leblanc on November 25, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Did you use knotty pine or clear pine?

84. Zach on November 22, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Looks like you used pocket holes and wood screws to attach the side rails to the head/foot boards. It would seem that this would make it very hard to break the bed down for future moves. Have you ever seen any hardware that would attach to each side and then hook together?

85. John on October 31, 2015 at 7:22 pm

I finished mine today and love it! Based on some other comments I cut the width down by 3 inches and it’s perfect! All you need to do is not use the 1×2 on each side and cut down the length of all the horizontal boards on the headboard and footboard.

86. Mike Sierra on October 18, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Cant wait to start this. I am a beginner, but after looking at these plans, I don’t see why I couldn’t complete this! Thanks for putting such details plans. I will upload my picture upon completion.

87. Amber on October 14, 2015 at 7:20 pm

I’m late to the game here, but I’m looking for these exact roman shades. Could you tell me where you got them?

88. Karen Zimmer on September 27, 2015 at 5:23 pm

LOVE THIS BED…would look perfect in our future mtn home. We have an extended queen Sleep # bed. Does anyone know how to adjust the measurements for that? I’d love to see if my nephew would make this for me.

89. Paul on September 20, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Just wanted to point out that the measurement for the width of the bed is wrong it says 95 1/2′ yet the dimensions for board cuts states the top rails at 92 1/2″, I noticed a few people comment their confusion on the matter.Love the design, I’ll be building a queen size version for my sister and her husband

90. Nick K on August 22, 2015 at 8:53 pm

The link to the pdf plans fails to download. Anyone else having an issue?

91. Melissa Grant on August 18, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Did anyone get an answer to the size question? We have a king size bed but some comments indicated that this plan seems to make a bed frame that is too large for a standard size king bed. I would really like to make this frame for our room but I would like some direction on how to edit the plans if it’s going to be too big…

92. Jodo Olson on August 15, 2015 at 9:47 am

Will the Cal King Mattress fit in this plan??

93. Rex henry on August 12, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I have emailed shanty 2 chic 3 times and never got a response from them on the plans for a queen bed. So I’ll try posting here do you guys have plans for a queen

• Rex henry on April 12, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Still have never heard from them

• Nick K on April 13, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Most queen beds are 16-18 inches narrower than a king. Just subtract that from all the boards that go the width of the bed.

94. Ashley Gene Dunkle on August 11, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Hi there! My grandfather has been making furniture for years, and I printed off the PDF plans so that he could make this bed for me! It turned out gorgeous, but exactly following the plans the frame is far too wide for our standard king mattress ๐Ÿ™ Did I miss an update on it somewhere?

• Ian Lefler on August 15, 2015 at 12:26 am

I am glad you posted this. I am about to start my project tomorrow and measured my king size bed at 76 inches. That would leave 6 inches of space on each side of the mattress for this frame! Looks like I can return a few boards to home depot.

95. Jeff on August 4, 2015 at 10:37 am

is there an actual cut list or materials list for this build? It would be nice to know what i am gonna need up front ๐Ÿ™‚

• Shanty2Chic on August 4, 2015 at 10:38 am

There is a diagram with each board and where to cut them.

• Jeff on August 4, 2015 at 10:54 am

I’m an idiot. I didnt realize that was a link lol thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

96. Dave Pitts on July 1, 2015 at 11:19 am

Did anyone ever attempt a queen sized version? I am assuming you could just subtract 16″ from the width? If anyone has tried this can you please let us know.. a pic would be fantastic too.

97. Jennie Shirah Deal on June 23, 2015 at 6:16 am

What color stain did you use on this bed and how many coats did you use? We bought the color ash stain, different brand thought but it doesn’t look as pretty as your bed.

98. Laura Paris on June 23, 2015 at 4:28 am

Is there any way to convert the plans to a queen size?

99. Ashley Simmons on June 20, 2015 at 6:50 am

This is beautiful!

I Just wanted to say one thing about the 4×4 posts though: you absolutely CAN cut them with a 10inch compound miter saw! I do it all the time!

Thank you for all your wonderful building plans! Y’all are such an inspiration and I love this bed!

• Shanty2Chic on June 20, 2015 at 6:52 am

Thanks Ashley! Some 10โ€ saw can accommodate, but mine couldnโ€™t at allโ€ฆ Just depends on the brand and model ๐Ÿ™‚

100. Katie on June 10, 2015 at 11:57 am

I am OBSESSED with this frame, but I have a Cal King size bed. Any tips on how to find new dimensions?

101. Troy Fletcher on June 8, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Did you use polyurethane after staining?

• Susie on June 25, 2015 at 7:04 am

Most of the time they don’t use polyurethane on indoor projects. They talk about it in one of their other articles. It isn’t necessary, unless you are concerned about water damage or just like the finished feel of it.

102. IHateMorons on June 2, 2015 at 7:59 am

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you snag your bedding? I’m looking for something simple pretty like that.

103. Sonia Su on June 2, 2015 at 12:50 am

Hello,
    Do you have measurements for a queen size? Also, what about drawers for the sides… would be a great idea! ๐Ÿ™‚

104. Evan on June 1, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Did you use a clear sealer over the stain or not? Thanks

105. Imelda Swan on May 21, 2015 at 10:17 am

what paint colors did you use in the room?

106. Dknric on May 2, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Nice job ladies! Made one for my wife over the last week. One suggestion though is thbe dimensions. If you build to plan then the frame comes out to wide for a standard king mattress. If you remove the 1×2 slats on foot board and head board then you have the right dimensions. Virtually all king mattresses are 75in wide and 80in long. For now we have to have our mattress rotated until I can dismantle and unscrew and remove those slats… Good thing I did not glue those.

• Dknric on May 15, 2015 at 2:10 pm

tada – wife liked the mirrors so much she got those too ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Kristin Soland on December 11, 2016 at 11:11 am

Nice! So this picture is after you fixed it?

• Dknric on December 11, 2016 at 5:47 pm

No – still living with the king mattress sideways – really does not make it a big deal – the thing is so heavy would be a day exercise to take apart and remove the 1×2 slats on each side and then trim down the long boards… If I do another one will just be more aware of what the end dimensions should be.

• Tracy on April 17, 2017 at 8:04 pm

I should’ve look at this before building. You are absolutely right!! Siderails are 79″ but the length of a king matress is 80″. Width of frame is 84″ but width on a king matress is only 76″. So since I’ve built the entire thing and am prepping to sand and stain… I guess I have no other choice but to rotate the matress. A bit disappointing since this thing has taken every evening and weekend for the last two weeks to build… ๐Ÿ™

• Shanty2Chic on April 17, 2017 at 8:11 pm

The length of the side rails are 79″ but there is additional room for the length of the mattress given the onset of the supports on the footboard. There is extra width on the sides of the bed to drop the comforter inside rather than tucking it. This was done intentionally. I have answered this in a few comments. My mattress is a standard king and it fits great:)

• Shanty2Chic on April 17, 2017 at 8:12 pm

*inset

• Tracy on April 17, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Hi, thank you for your reply. So sorry, I looked but didn’t see any confirmation from y’all on the dimensions being intentional. Also, I emailed so please disregard that ๐Ÿ™‚
            I appreciate you responding that this is intentional. I have been slaving by myself building this bed, all 135 lbs of me, so this makes me feel so much better!! I’m super excited to stain it!!!

Thank you again.

• Christy Floyd on March 9, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I love the bed but I want those mirrors! Do you remember where you bought them?????

• Jamie on September 20, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Oh wow, what color stain did you use here? I love the gorgeous cherry color!!!!

107. Kindra Volk DeGroot on April 19, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Love this bed, amazing. Is there any way you will be making a dresser to match? I am looking for a master bedroom dresser to make with good instructions and that matches a DIY headboard.

108. Amber Grimes on April 19, 2015 at 7:58 am

Where is the ceiling fan from?

109. Mikael on April 12, 2015 at 10:48 am

How well does this hold up if you need to dismantle and move? Can you reuse the same pocket holes without compromising the wood?

• Ari on May 24, 2019 at 9:58 am

The plans for this is super confusing. The things that are labeled 1x2x8โ€™ is actually supposed to be 1×1.5. In a hardware store, things like 2×6 is actually 1.5×5.5 so that is obvious and doesnt need to be cut down to 5.5 in order to fit the 80โ€ length for the headboard. But you cant usually buy a 1×2 so you make it. We made it into an actual 1×2, turns out it made the headboard 1โ€ too long because the instructions are unclear. I think you guys need to go back and edit some things and make it to be the actual exact measurement. Also possibly labeling A-Z pieces because some of the colors are off as well….just the overall instruction is very unclear and for beginners would lead them in the wrong direction…thankfully we were able to figure this out but not until after we put together the headboard to find out it doesnt fit into the frame. Also pocket holes are misleading. We used two different pocket hole drill bits (older version vs new version) and they were different lengths so telling us which size to use ends up messing it up a lot because your pocket hole could be different than ours. Good start to do this but a lot of confusion.
      For those who are moving or need easy transport โ€”> we decided to use hinges instead of screwing it together so it comes apart in 4 pieces and the middle we are making a ledge to rest the boards on and use nylon rope across them so they can be easily packed up so nothing is screwed down. This is how a lot of big manufacturers make their beds so its easy to put together

• Angelique on May 24, 2020 at 6:11 am

Do you have pictures of how you did the hinges and rope part

• CN on August 22, 2020 at 12:17 pm

Think you’re the only one confused…. 1×2 is how a hardware store labels the product! It’s the same as a 2×4, 2×6 or any others!

110. Matt Swenson on March 15, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Can I simply subtract 16 inches from all width measurements to make this work for a queen size bed? I just want to make sure there are no other issues that I am missing.

• John on April 23, 2015 at 8:23 pm

matt, did you make the queen version? I really want to make this for my wife. Thanks!

• Debbie Bastien on December 19, 2021 at 6:57 am

Do you have any plans available for dresser and nightstands to go with this

• Nadia Pienaar on January 12, 2022 at 11:53 am

Hi Matt. Did you ever make the Queen size bed?

• Jill Brakhage on January 16, 2022 at 7:49 am

I’m in the end stages of making a queen version of this. The instructions show the boards laid out for the headboard and footboard as: a 1×2, (3) 1×6, a 2×6, (6) 1×6, a 2×6, (3) 1×6, a 1×2
        I just eliminated 1 1×6 from each section, making my layout as: a 1×2, (2) 1×6, a 2×6, (5) 1×6, a 2×6, (2) 1×6, a 1×2.
        I cut my side rails last night, propped them up in place and everything seems to fall into place๐Ÿ˜ I’m so excited about making this bed.

111. fredngeorge on March 7, 2015 at 1:53 pm

How heavy is this bed? Can it fit through a regular door frame? My big hesitation with trying to duplicate this is the fact that we will have to move in a few years…

112. Amanda Garitano on March 4, 2015 at 11:23 am

I love the stain. I have tempurpedic ADJUSTABLE BED. (Also a California king) so it’s very difficult to find a product. Am I able to make this as just a headboard or use measurements and not have the wooden slats? Our bed needs to sit in the frame from tempurpedic and the wooden would just be kinda built around it. Thanks!

113. Heather on February 28, 2015 at 2:30 pm

My husband is just finishing up this bed!! I’m worried about stain transferring onto bedding…did you use polyurethane?

• Nick K on April 8, 2016 at 12:29 pm

you absolutely need to put a sealer on top of the stain. I used poly.

• Breanna Little on June 3, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Did the stain transfer to bedding? And did you love the bed?

114. TinaMarie Ruzicka on February 25, 2015 at 11:33 am

do you have a queen size bed plans & a dresser?

115. Justin on February 24, 2015 at 10:57 am

Beautiful work! I’m planning on building an entire set in this style. Any chance you will be building a dresser?

116. Karlee Swenson on February 21, 2015 at 9:33 pm

I’m also interested in a queen size plan for this!!!!!!!!

• timboslice213 on July 30, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Me too! Have they posted one?

• ConnieInAlberta on July 25, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Me too…I plan to build this.

117. Mary Galvan on February 20, 2015 at 8:52 am

WOW!!! Amazing. Me and my husband will be building this soon for our room. Great Job!!!

• Shanty2Chic on February 20, 2015 at 8:54 am

Yeah!! Thanks Mary! Can’t wait to see yours ๐Ÿ™‚

• Steve on March 28, 2019 at 9:57 am

Is this for a regular king size mattress and can it be done as a platform bed?

118. Michael on February 19, 2015 at 1:06 pm

How high on the bed rails do you attach the slat rails?

119. Erica May on February 18, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Love the bed! I have been thinking of building is a new bed for our room but I am struggling roth not having matching dressers. What do you do as far as dressers and other furniture in the room. Try to match it? Go country white? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

• Shanty2Chic on February 19, 2015 at 9:53 am

That’s a great question Erica… I don’t have a dresser in my room but I know what you mean. Painting is a great option and fun way to split it up if you are unable to match the finish. Another option would be to paint the dresser and add a stained plank top to match the finish on the bed… Just some ideas!

• Lexi Thompson on August 22, 2020 at 1:15 am

Hi there! What did you use to apply the stain/finish?

120. Kay on February 18, 2015 at 2:26 pm

I so want to build this! I was going to buy a king bed, but this is better ! I just got done building a castle bed for my daughters , so I know I can do this. I can’t wait for the nightstand ones!

• Shanty2Chic on February 19, 2015 at 9:54 am

Awesome Kay! Yes you can totally handle this! Sharing the tables soon! ๐Ÿ˜‰

121. chispitacarreras on February 18, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Beautiful bed!!! I sent my friend the link for her husband to check it out. I just have a quick question. Where did you get the mirrors above your bed?? Thank you!

• chispitacarreras on February 18, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Just saw they are from Hobby Lobby! Oops.

122. Mary on February 18, 2015 at 10:06 am

Thank you so much for sharing your plans on this bed and all the other great items you have built. I bet its an awesome feeling to stand back and say WOW! I built that with my own hands. Thank you Jesus for giving me insight and the ability to use my hands to built and create. Keep up the great work.

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 10:10 am

You got it Mary! We are so thankful for this blessing that God has given us and even more grateful for the opportunities He has given us to share it all with you guys. Thank you so much for your encouraging words this morning. They mean so much!

123. Brittney Adams-Vivian on February 17, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Is there anyway you can create a queen size plan for this bed I love it ๐Ÿ™‚

• timboslice213 on July 30, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Me too. Have they posted one?

• Brittney Adams-Vivian on July 31, 2015 at 6:12 am

I actually finally finished building the queen. I found that if you got rid of three 1×6 planks on the headboard and footboard it fits a queen mattress perfectly. I also didn’t use the 1×2’s either. I worked off this plan and Ana Whites farmhouse bed for measurements.

• timboslice213 on August 11, 2015 at 1:37 pm

awesome thanks!

• timboslice213 on August 21, 2015 at 1:52 pm

can you post a picture

• Brittney Adams-Vivian on August 22, 2015 at 5:29 am

I have one posted in the readers projects. It has the love canvas over the bed.

• David Baker on January 29, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Great place to learn how to make it yourself much much cheaper. Just google for ‘woodprix’ website:)

• David Baker on January 29, 2016 at 11:10 pm

just do it yourself , go to woodprix page and turn your idea to reality.

124. Zoe on February 17, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Do you have a box spring with this bed?

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 5:31 am

Yes… But you don’t have to!

• Morgan Brockmann on October 17, 2015 at 3:57 pm

This may be an incredibly stupid question but how would it be possible to do this with the box spring and still get the same look and height?

125. Pitchshifter50 . on February 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Hello, This bed is excellent. Thank you for posting the plans. My wife has given me my Honey-Do for the weekend. However on the plans, at the bottom of page 3, the 1x4x8’s do not have a length cut. Based on the scale of the other cuts it appears to be 79″ or 80″. Can you please clarify?

• Shanty2Chic on February 17, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Thank you for catching that! 80″! I’ll get it fixed and send a pic when you get it finished!

• Pitchshifter50 . on February 17, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Thank you so much for the prompt response! You are welcome. Glad I could help!

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 5:31 am

Got the new plan updated this morning if you want to download it now… Thanks again! ๐Ÿ™‚

126. Tyi Duncan-Whitcomb on February 17, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Are the bedside tables a plan here in the website?

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 5:31 am

They will be! Next week or the one after ๐Ÿ™‚

127. Sharla N Sometimes-Eric on February 17, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Would you mind giving us a cost break down?

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 5:30 am

It was under $400 for the lumber… One the 1x boards I did use whitewood to keep the cost down. Hope this helps!

• Ronna Hooser Nord on April 7, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Materials only under $400 but you said very labor intensive so if you add your labor where does that put you is it right up there at the one you first looked at a cost of close to $4000 I know some people have the time on their hands to do as a hobby but to make this and sell it it is a little misleading because labor is not free. Very nice bed. And the cost of your tools has to be taken into consideration.

• Nick K on April 8, 2016 at 12:26 pm

I built one similar with 6 drawers underneath in about 20 hours. This was the first one I ever made and woodworking is a new hobby for me. If I was making these on a regular basis I am sure I could cut that time down even more. If I sold mine for $1750 I would still be making decent money.

• Ashley Marie Lesh on April 17, 2016 at 11:03 am

Hi! Could you advise on adding the drawers? I would love to do that.

• Zach Heeren on May 23, 2017 at 11:58 am

how did you do your drawers?

• Nick K on May 23, 2017 at 2:25 pm

I made my own variation of a bed that I Like to Make Stuff made in a YouTube video. I added a three foot deep drawer in between the two sides for shoes

• Steve on December 16, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I believe this article is titled DIY, not build and sell for a living.

• Katie on November 15, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Does anyone have a plan for the queen bed yet? I see someone says to take away 3 of the 1×6 boards, but what other pieces need adjusted because of this? The whole width adjusts, not just the back panels.

• Ronna Hooser Nord on April 7, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Yes please total for material and labor

128. Stephanie Hulings on February 17, 2015 at 9:50 am

WOW! You are right, it is simple. Looking at it you think it is harder. I cannot tell you how much I love this design. GREAT JOB!

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 5:32 am

Thank you Stephanie! Glad you see that… And thanks for your sweet words!