DIY King Size Bed Free Plans

676K Shares

Holy guacamole.  This is a big darn bed.  I’m so glad I finally get to reveal it to you!

I have been wanting to build my own bed for years now.  I had a beautiful store bought bed prior to this albatross.  I loved it, but have always had the itch to create one myself.  I ran across my inspiration at a store called Arhaus.  The store is full of inspiration… As well as very hefty price tags.  The original bed before shipping and tax for them was $3699.00.  Nope, that was not a typo.  I am happy to say that I built my version for under $400. (Insert happy dance)  Check it out… My new DIY King Size Bed Free Plans!

King Bed DIY by Shanty2Chic Free Woodworking Plans

Yah.  I love it. A whole lot.

As always, I will walk you through this entire build here (with 42 photos… you have been warned) and you can also download and print the FREE plans by clicking HERE or the button below!

Print Free King Size Bed Plans

Let’s get started!  I imagine writing this tutorial is going to take longer than actually building the bed, so let’s get a move on.

The posts of this bed are 4×4.  These are untreated boards and can be found at both big hardware stores.  You won’t be able to cut through a 4×4 without a 12″ miter saw.  So, if yours is smaller, you can have the hardware store make these few cuts.  You can also use a hand saw with a little elbow grease.  Or, upgrade your saw!  I use Ridgid’s 12″ sliding compound miter saw, but I am so pumped to try out Ryobi’s new 12″ sliding miter that comes out in a few weeks!

Watch our How to Use a Miter Saw video HERE!

Ridgid 12 inch miter saw

I decided to attach all of the planks before building the actual headboard support so I could get an exact measurement.  I used white wood boards to keep the cost down, and I love how rustic they look when stained.  I used my Kreg Jig for this entire build.  I use the K5, but I also own the K4 and the new Foreman. I love every single one of them for different reasons.  If you are looking to invest and get one, I would go for the K5.  It’s a small amount more than the K4, but I find that it’s much more user friendly and has lots of upgrades that make it my fav.  And, it’s easy enough for a beginner.  In fact, I would suggest beginning with a Kreg Jig.  They make building much easier.

Watch our How to Use a Kreg Jig Video HERE!

Let me explain how I did the pocket holes on the headboard.  This uses 1×6 and 2×6.  I didn’t do pocket holes in any of the 2×6.  I did most of the planks with 3/4″ pocket holes down one side like this…

wood board for headbord

When I lined all of my boards up, you can see that on the boards sitting next to the 2×6 boards, I did pocket holes down both sides.  This allowed me to attach into the 2×6 as well as the next plank.

Pocket Holes for headboard

Here it all is laid out and you can see where all of the pocket holes were positioned…

plank the headboard

Once I had that finished I took the measurement to build the frame that sits behind it.  For this I used 2×3 boards and made 1.5″ pocket holes on each end.  I used 2.5″ pocket hole screws to attach them to the 4×4 posts.  You want the face of the support to sit 1.5″ from the front of the posts.  This will allow it to all line up correctly.  Once the frame was made, I laid it on the back side of the planks.  I used wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails with my Ryobi 16G finish nailer to attach through the frame and into the planks.

Back of headboard

Here is the front of it…

Builidng the headboard

Next, you will add trim pieces.  These are simple cuts.  I measured the space exactly on each one rather than going from the plan.  I used wood glue and finish nails through these pieces and into the front of the headboard.

Trim the heaboard

First two lines of planks glued and nailed…

King Headboard Progress

Now for the decorative side pieces.  These were simple to make with my jig saw.  I started by making just the miter cut on the 2×4 using my miter saw.

Miter Cut

I clamped that piece to my workbench and drew out the design per the plan.

Kreg Clamp

Then, I just used my Ryobi 18V jig saw to cut the design out slowly.

decorative side piece

Here it is…

Decorative piece on king bed

Add some glue to the end that will attach to the bed…

wood glue

And I secured it using my finish nailer with 2″ nails.

Nail on side decorative pieces

clamp decorative piece

Next, you will add the 2×6 boards.  These are heavy.  I used a good amount of wood glue and 2″ finish nails to attach it in place.  I also ran a few wood screws through the back of the headboard after that and into the 2×6 just to be extra safe.

clamp decorative piece

I also added the top board at this point.  After glueing and nailing it with 2″ nails, I did add some wood screws through the top and into the headboard just to be extra safe.

Clamping the headboard top

See my new Kreg clamps??  I love them.  I have 4 and I want 36 🙂  They are like having an extra set of hands around and they are so simple to use.

Headboard finished.  Moving onto footboard.

This is basically the exact same build as the headboard with different measurements.  I did do everything the same though.  Here are some photos to show you…

pocket holes front of footboard

I did use 1×4 for the supports on the footboard since it wasn’t as large as the headboard.  I used my right angle clamp to hold it all in place while I attached using 2.5″ pocket hole screws into the leg.

Kreg Right Angle Clamp

Here is the frame ready for the planks…

Footboard supports

I used wood glue and nails through the back of the supports and into the planks.

Finish nailer Ryobi

Back of footboard

Added my trim pieces to the front…

Ryobi Airstrike Finish Nailer

building a king size footboard

Then my decorative side pieces…

Nail on side decorative pieces

Now the 2×6 runners…

Wood glue on footboard

Building a king footboard

I put the top 2×6 on last before moving to the bed’s side rails.

I used PureBond Plywood for the base of the side rails.  I had the guys at Home Depot rip mine to size so I could get it home easy.  I used Birch.  You will start with two pieces that look like this…

Side rails plywood

Next, I used wood glue and 1.25″ finish nails to trim these out starting with the top board.

side rails of bed

Next, I added the smaller boards.

building the bed rails

Once I had this trimmed out I used my Kreg Jig to make 1.5″ pocket holes on each end and running down the top of each side rail.  I used my K3 mounted to a board to make my pocket holes.

Kreg Jig on bed rail

Pocket holes for bed side rails

The ends of each side rail should look like this…

Pocket holes on bed rails

I used 2.5″ pocket hole screws to attach the top 2×3 and the side rails.

Inside of bed rail

And here she is ready for stain!  I stained everything before getting it inside.

Baseboard DIY

I used a new fav stain color on my bed.  It’s called Ash by Varathane and you can find it at Home Depot.  It’s not a very dark brown, but where the grain catches the stain it really goes a black tone which I love.

Varathane Wood Stain Ash

Now putting it together… This was something I did enlist lots of help on.  My hubby and his friend moved the headboard in first.  Then I cut a few 4×4 scraps to help hold the rails in place while I used 2.5″ pocket hole screws through the pocket holes on the rails and into the legs.

Kreg Pocket Holes to attach bed

After that I did the same to the footboard.  Finally, I cut all of the planks to run under the mattress.  These all use a block under them to support the weight of the mattress.   I nailed them in place with 2″ finish nails into the runners on the sides.

supports on king bed

Attaching the king bed

That’s it!  Told you it would take forever 🙂

But… I LOVE IT.  I will say… This is not a super advanced build by any means.  All of the cuts are straight and many are the same.  I would say it is very labor intensive.  I was sore for two days after building it… Which really is more a testament to my physical health, but we’ll blame the bed. 😉

I hope you LOVE it as much as I do!

King Size Bed by Shanty2Chic Free Woodworking Plans

DIY King Size Bed Free Plans by Shanty2Chic

King Bed DIY by Shanty2Chic Free Woodworking Plans

For those of you that may ask….

The bedding was a Valentine’s gift from my hubby.  It’s all from Restoration Hardware.

The large metal ampersand magnet board can be found HERE!

The color on the walls is Valspar Homestead Resort Parlor Taupe.

The mirrors are from Hobby Lobby as well as the hooks I used to hang them.  Wayfair carries one that is very similar and super cute HERE!

The nightstands are a little sneak peek for next week or so… One isn’t totally finished but you guys will love them!

676K Shares

1. Mikael on April 12, 2015 at 10:48 am

How well does this hold up if you need to dismantle and move? Can you reuse the same pocket holes without compromising the wood?

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 4, 2018 at 3:28 pm

I built my own bed using the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

2. Matt Swenson on March 15, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Can I simply subtract 16 inches from all width measurements to make this work for a queen size bed? I just want to make sure there are no other issues that I am missing.

• John on April 23, 2015 at 8:23 pm

matt, did you make the queen version? I really want to make this for my wife. Thanks!

3. fredngeorge on March 7, 2015 at 1:53 pm

How heavy is this bed? Can it fit through a regular door frame? My big hesitation with trying to duplicate this is the fact that we will have to move in a few years…

4. Amanda Garitano on March 4, 2015 at 11:23 am

I love the stain. I have tempurpedic ADJUSTABLE BED. (Also a California king) so it’s very difficult to find a product. Am I able to make this as just a headboard or use measurements and not have the wooden slats? Our bed needs to sit in the frame from tempurpedic and the wooden would just be kinda built around it. Thanks!

5. Heather on February 28, 2015 at 2:30 pm

My husband is just finishing up this bed!! I’m worried about stain transferring onto bedding…did you use polyurethane?

• Nick K on April 8, 2016 at 12:29 pm

you absolutely need to put a sealer on top of the stain. I used poly.

• Breanna Little on June 3, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Did the stain transfer to bedding? And did you love the bed?

6. TinaMarie Ruzicka on February 25, 2015 at 11:33 am

do you have a queen size bed plans & a dresser?

7. Justin on February 24, 2015 at 10:57 am

Beautiful work! I’m planning on building an entire set in this style. Any chance you will be building a dresser?

8. Karlee Swenson on February 21, 2015 at 9:33 pm

I’m also interested in a queen size plan for this!!!!!!!!

• timboslice213 on July 30, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Me too! Have they posted one?

• ConnieInAlberta on July 25, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Me too…I plan to build this.

9. Mary Galvan on February 20, 2015 at 8:52 am

WOW!!! Amazing. Me and my husband will be building this soon for our room. Great Job!!!

• Shanty2Chic on February 20, 2015 at 8:54 am

Yeah!! Thanks Mary! Can’t wait to see yours 🙂

10. Michael on February 19, 2015 at 1:06 pm

How high on the bed rails do you attach the slat rails?

11. Erica May on February 18, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Love the bed! I have been thinking of building is a new bed for our room but I am struggling roth not having matching dressers. What do you do as far as dressers and other furniture in the room. Try to match it? Go country white? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

• Shanty2Chic on February 19, 2015 at 9:53 am

That’s a great question Erica… I don’t have a dresser in my room but I know what you mean. Painting is a great option and fun way to split it up if you are unable to match the finish. Another option would be to paint the dresser and add a stained plank top to match the finish on the bed… Just some ideas!

12. Kay on February 18, 2015 at 2:26 pm

I so want to build this! I was going to buy a king bed, but this is better ! I just got done building a castle bed for my daughters , so I know I can do this. I can’t wait for the nightstand ones!

• Shanty2Chic on February 19, 2015 at 9:54 am

Awesome Kay! Yes you can totally handle this! Sharing the tables soon! 😉

13. chispitacarreras on February 18, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Beautiful bed!!! I sent my friend the link for her husband to check it out. I just have a quick question. Where did you get the mirrors above your bed?? Thank you!

• chispitacarreras on February 18, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Just saw they are from Hobby Lobby! Oops.

14. Mary on February 18, 2015 at 10:06 am

Thank you so much for sharing your plans on this bed and all the other great items you have built. I bet its an awesome feeling to stand back and say WOW! I built that with my own hands. Thank you Jesus for giving me insight and the ability to use my hands to built and create. Keep up the great work.

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 10:10 am

You got it Mary! We are so thankful for this blessing that God has given us and even more grateful for the opportunities He has given us to share it all with you guys. Thank you so much for your encouraging words this morning. They mean so much!

15. Brittney Adams-Vivian on February 17, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Is there anyway you can create a queen size plan for this bed I love it 🙂

• timboslice213 on July 30, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Me too. Have they posted one?

• Brittney Adams-Vivian on July 31, 2015 at 6:12 am

I actually finally finished building the queen. I found that if you got rid of three 1×6 planks on the headboard and footboard it fits a queen mattress perfectly. I also didn’t use the 1×2’s either. I worked off this plan and Ana Whites farmhouse bed for measurements.

• timboslice213 on August 11, 2015 at 1:37 pm

awesome thanks!

• timboslice213 on August 21, 2015 at 1:52 pm

can you post a picture

• Brittney Adams-Vivian on August 22, 2015 at 5:29 am

I have one posted in the readers projects. It has the love canvas over the bed.

• David Baker on January 29, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Great place to learn how to make it yourself much much cheaper. Just google for ‘woodprix’ website:)

• David Baker on January 29, 2016 at 11:10 pm

just do it yourself , go to woodprix page and turn your idea to reality.

16. Zoe on February 17, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Do you have a box spring with this bed?

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 5:31 am

Yes… But you don’t have to!

• Morgan Brockmann on October 17, 2015 at 3:57 pm

This may be an incredibly stupid question but how would it be possible to do this with the box spring and still get the same look and height?

17. Pitchshifter50 . on February 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Hello, This bed is excellent. Thank you for posting the plans. My wife has given me my Honey-Do for the weekend. However on the plans, at the bottom of page 3, the 1x4x8’s do not have a length cut. Based on the scale of the other cuts it appears to be 79″ or 80″. Can you please clarify?

• Shanty2Chic on February 17, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Thank you for catching that! 80″! I’ll get it fixed and send a pic when you get it finished!

• Pitchshifter50 . on February 17, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Thank you so much for the prompt response! You are welcome. Glad I could help!

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 5:31 am

Got the new plan updated this morning if you want to download it now… Thanks again! 🙂

18. Tyi Duncan-Whitcomb on February 17, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Are the bedside tables a plan here in the website?

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 5:31 am

They will be! Next week or the one after 🙂

19. Sharla N Sometimes-Eric on February 17, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Would you mind giving us a cost break down?

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 5:30 am

It was under $400 for the lumber… One the 1x boards I did use whitewood to keep the cost down. Hope this helps!

• Ronna Hooser Nord on April 7, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Materials only under $400 but you said very labor intensive so if you add your labor where does that put you is it right up there at the one you first looked at a cost of close to $4000 I know some people have the time on their hands to do as a hobby but to make this and sell it it is a little misleading because labor is not free. Very nice bed. And the cost of your tools has to be taken into consideration.

• Nick K on April 8, 2016 at 12:26 pm

I built one similar with 6 drawers underneath in about 20 hours. This was the first one I ever made and woodworking is a new hobby for me. If I was making these on a regular basis I am sure I could cut that time down even more. If I sold mine for $1750 I would still be making decent money.

• Ashley Marie Lesh on April 17, 2016 at 11:03 am

Hi! Could you advise on adding the drawers? I would love to do that.

• Zach Heeren on May 23, 2017 at 11:58 am

how did you do your drawers?

• Nick K on May 23, 2017 at 2:25 pm

I made my own variation of a bed that I Like to Make Stuff made in a YouTube video. I added a three foot deep drawer in between the two sides for shoes

• Steve on December 16, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I believe this article is titled DIY, not build and sell for a living.

• Ronna Hooser Nord on April 7, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Yes please total for material and labor

20. Stephanie Hulings on February 17, 2015 at 9:50 am

WOW! You are right, it is simple. Looking at it you think it is harder. I cannot tell you how much I love this design. GREAT JOB!

• Shanty2Chic on February 18, 2015 at 5:32 am

Thank you Stephanie! Glad you see that… And thanks for your sweet words!