DIY Workbench

We get so many emails and messages asking us what are the basics to starting a workshop! One of the first pieces we suggest is a Workbench! This DIY workbench is the perfect build for beginners. You only need the 3 basic tools, that we suggest starting your workshop with, to build this. It’s easy to build, it’s great for storage, gives you a huge work space AND its affordable!

DIY Workbench

If this workbench looks familiar, you have probably seen it in our shops! Whitney has this full size version and Ashley built a more narrow version for her shop! You can see the narrow version HERE! We built this workbench for our friends garage! They just recently renovated a 70’s ranch house and we begged them to let us build them a functional workbench. We are building them tons of furniture for their new renovation and we needed a good work surface so, win-win!

Come watch just how easy this beast is to build! Click HERE or the video below to watch!

Don’t forget to download the FREE printable plans HERE and follow along with the how-to below!

DIY Workbench Tools:

Drill

Miter Saw

Kreg Jig – You can find our favorite model HERE!

DIY Workbench Supplies:

4 Casters – You can find them HERE!

Glue – You can find our favorite Glue Bot HERE!

2 1/2″ pocket hole screws

2 1/2″ wood screws

DIY Workbench

After making all of our cuts, we used our Kreg Jig to drill 1 1/2″ pocket holes into the short frame pieces. You can find our favorite Kreg Jig model HERE!

DIY Workbench

The first step in assembly is to build the top and bottom frames. The top frame is larger than the bottom frame but they are both assembled the same way. We attached the short frame pieces to the long frame pieces with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws and wood glue.

DIY Workbench

Here is one of the frames assembled.

DIY Workbench

We drilled 1 1/2″ pocket holes into one side of the short leg pieces and attach them to the long leg pieces with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws and wood glue.

DIY Workbench

Next, we attached the legs to the frames with 2 1/2″ wood screws and wood glue.

DIY Workbench

We flipped the bench upside down and cut the foot pads to size. Then, we attached them to the bottom of the workbench with 2 1/2″ wood screws and wood glue.

DIY Workbench

Once the foot pads were attached, we attached the casters with 2 1/2″ wood screws and washers.

DIY Workbench

Flip the workbench back over and lay the bottom shelf in place. We used our Ryobi 18-volt Airstrike Nailer, with 1 1/4″ brad nails, and wood glue to attach the shelf to the bottom frame. You an use 1 1/4″ wood screws if you don’t have a nailer.

DIY Workbench

We attached the top plywood piece like we did the shelf!

DIY Workbench

At this point, you can leave it as-is or add a finish! Either way it’s ready for building!!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Happy Building!

1. Roland L Harrop on February 21, 2019 at 8:24 am

After the bench is built on your plans you show a measurement of 34″ tall. I understand that you would add an inch and a half for the feet pieces on the bottom and the thickness of the plywood top but where does the remainder come from? Help me out here. Thank you

2. Alain on January 21, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Hi

Sorry,, but reading your plan to build the workbench I dont understand the item reference 2x6x8 in the supply list, whats means?

• JEFF on January 22, 2019 at 1:00 pm

2″x6″ board 8 foot long

3. Debora Cadene on January 5, 2019 at 7:18 am

G’morning. I realize this is a bit of an older post, but I am still hoping you pop in here for a second. We have just built a new garage and its a blank slate. I want to make a work bench and will be following your plans but am wondering why you chose this size and height for your bench. I know its generally a preference, but do you find a 3 x 6 is plenty roomy? and is the finished height include the wheels you have added.

4. E. Elb on November 3, 2018 at 10:50 am

If all you need is a drill, miter saw, and kreg jig how are you supposed to cut the particle boards down to the correct sizes?

• NIgel Pearson on December 21, 2018 at 8:11 am

Get your lumber yard to do it for you?

(otherwise, yes you would also need a circular saw)

• Tony on January 7, 2019 at 2:55 pm

If you watched the video it flashed the words two pre-cut pieces of plywood So if you can’t get it pre-cut it goes without saying that you will need a saw.

5. John Sanchez on June 10, 2018 at 8:16 am

Hello Ladies,
    I love your videos and plans. Today my wife and I are going to attempt our first piece, and are using your plans for the entryway bench. Wish us luck!

I was wondering, since no bedroom is ever complete without a seat to sit on and put on your shoes and while getting ready in the morning if you guys had an anything for a bedroom bench that was different from previous builds?

• www.EasyWoodwork.info on July 29, 2018 at 6:04 am

Super excited beacuse I built this myself and it turned out so beautifully! SO happy! I used the plans at EasyWoodwork.info to build mine – I highly recommend you visit that website and check their plans out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

Go to www. EasyWoodwork.info – click the pink link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

6. Cait Chancellor on May 30, 2018 at 7:15 pm

My hubby and I made this workbench as our starter project and it turned out great! The color coded plans were my favorite part! Would love to attach a pic but wasn’t able to. Thanks!!

7. www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 4, 2018 at 11:30 pm

I built my own using the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org – highly recommended you check those out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online.

www. EasyWoodwork.org

8. Jennifer on April 3, 2018 at 7:45 am

Hello Ladies,

I recently stumbled upon you two and have watching you guys like crazy. I subscribe to all your social media locations and have noticed that all of your pieces of furniture is more accommodating for bigger homes. I live in an apartment and was wondering if you have or are open to creating smaller plans for us girls in smaller living situations.

Thank you and keep doing all the great stuff you all do. You two are very inspiring.

Jennifer Smith
    Sacramento, Ca

• mary E. on September 15, 2018 at 3:56 pm

I built the workbench from from the plans offered here and want to thank you! You’re inspiring women to build and offering FREE plans and directions. What a lovely combination!
      And shame on the person from the woodworking site, spamming your comments section with referrals to a site that requires one to pay for every piece of information.
      Keep up the great work Shanty to Chic!
      Mary