For those of you that follow us on Instagram, you know that I am knee deep in the process of changing around my dining room a bit! I have had the itch for a new table for sometime, and really wanted to build one myself. I have that all finished up and can’t wait to share it. In the meantime, I wanted to share a revamp I did to an old server that I LOVE. Ash and I started this blog doing revamps and transforming old pieces into new ones. I love the process of giving an old piece of furniture a brand new life! It’s like a good hair cut… And, it’s really not difficult at all!
Here is how she turned out…
I LOVE this piece. It’s actually going to have a new home at my mom’s house, but before I sent it over I wanted to freshen it up a bit.
This was the original finish…
I did love the tone of the legs, but the rest of the piece was very yellow-orange and it had lots of dings and spots. So, after repairing the base (you can see the clamp on the bottom), I got started.
My first step was removing all of the old hardware. Typically I like to replace it with new hardware, but these pulls are perfection. They are worn and beautiful, and you really can’t find any like it still.
I also used some 3M ScotchBlue painter’s tape to cover some areas I wanted to keep paint free like the keyhole and the inside of the drawer.
I did prime this piece first. Although the paint claims to have primer, I have found that it is always best to use an actual primer on old pieces like this. I used one coat of this on the whole thing using a brush…
You can find this stuff at Lowe’s! It’s super easy to apply, and it will save you lots of heartache later… Promise.
Next I decided to go with 2 different shades of grey. These are the two colors I chose…
For my lighter color I used Valspar Pantone String
And the darker color is Valspar Siene.
They both look a bit brown on the screen, but the color is a perfect grey. I used a satin sheen for both colors.
After letting that dry, I used an 80 grit sanding paper like this to very lightly scratch my corners and edges…
And to protect all my work, I gave the entire piece 2 coats of Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane. LOVE this stuff. It goes on white and dries clear. I like to apply with a bristle brush and not a foam brush because the foam brushes tend to make more bubbles.
That is it. I put all my old hardware back on and I was set to go. I LOVE it. To me, it gives the whole piece a brand new look and life, and really brings out all of the beauty even more.
I hope my mom takes good care of her (because I will be getting her back at some point ;-))
Thanks so much for stopping by! Let me know if you have any questions at all!