Easy DIY Platform Bed

Thanks so much for stopping by!  If you don’t already, we would love for you to follow us on our Instagram and Pinterest accounts to keep up with all of our recent posts and sneak peeks :)

Hey guys!  I’m back to share the platform bed that I made for my son :)

Easy-DIY-Platform-BedIf you missed the Free Plans for the Planked Headboard, you can check them out HERE! I saw a platform bed in a West Elm catalog and loved how chunky the base and platform were, so that was my inspiration and I built it for about $55!!!

And a big thanks to our friend Jay at Jay’s Custom Creations, we also have a FREE Printable Plan for you :)  Just click the image below or HERE to print them!

click-for-free-platform-bed-plansThis is a VERY EASY piece to build so it is perfect if you are a beginner! Here’s how I built it! This plan is for a full size bed but it is very easy to adjust the measurements to accommodate another size :)

make-cutsI started by making all of my cuts for my top and bottom frame.

drill-pocket-holesThen, I drilled all of my pocket holes with my Kreg Jig set for 1 1/2″ thick boards.

top-frameI attached the top frame with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws

bottom-frameand did the same for the bottom frame.

attach-bottom-frameNext, I flipped the top frame over and attached the bottom frame to it with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws.

attach-center-supportI flipped it back over and attached the center support with 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws. You may need help flipping the bed back over, at this point, because it is heavy.

attach-cleatsFinally, I attached the 2×3 cleats with 2 1/2″ wood screws (I call for 2×2 in the plans because 2×3’s are not available in every region.  If you do use 2×2’s for the cleats, get furring strips to save money). I like to use the Spax self-tapping screws. I find them at Home Depot and they are pricey but you don’t need to pre-drill with them!  If you use regular wood screws, make sure to pre-drill first to prevent the wood from splitting.

Rustoleum_Dark_WalnutTo finish, I applied one-coat of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut Stain. If you are buying your supplies at Home Depot, get the Varathane brand in Dark Walnut (it’s the same stain).

add-slatsWhen the bed was dry, the hubs and I took it inside and into our little man’s room!  I used my Ryobi Airstrike Nailer to attach the 1×3 slats.  I just spaced them out evenly and attached them to both cleats and the center support. You can use the cheap furring strips for this part, Just make sure they are smooth so they don’t tear-up your mattress.

slats-addedTo attach the headboard to the bed, I drilled 2 1/2″ spax screws from the backside of the headboard legs into the bottom and top frames of the platform.

Platform-Bed-Plans

how-to-build-a-platform-bed

Easy-DIY-Platform-BedI just love it so much and I’ve overheard our 11-year-old bragging to his friends (on a few occasions) that his mom built his bed – which is the best part for me ;)

Don’t forget to check out the headboard plans HERE and if you like the wall color in his room (I’m obsessed!) you can read about it HERE! I have received a lot of questions about the quilt on his bed, it is from Pottery Barn Teen but, I bought it a couple of years ago so I’m not sure that it is still available.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Ashley

Comments

1. Melissa D says:

How would I go about changing the dimensions to fit a king size mattress?

2. Taylor Skelton says:

So excited that I saw this on pinterest! I’ve been wanting a bed like this and trying to convince hubby that we can build it, so I’m so glad that you posted a plan! I’m not quite sure how to convert the measurements to queen size but I’m excited to try!!

3. Could you please share the dimensions to fit a twin size bed?

4. i see you used 52″ for the slats. Is that the width of your son’s full size bed? I’m converting the plans to fit a queen size bed and the standard full size mattress measures out to 54″x 75″ so I wanted to make sure that was what you were working with. Thanks!

5. Megan Christina Drenthe says:

How would you convert the plans to a queen sized bed?

6. BourbonGhost says:

What kind of wood did you use? Was it treated?

7. Oh, I love that your son told his friends that you built the bed. My sister is a general contractor and I always get a kick of pride when I tell people. And, here comes the boast, she lives in Florida which has an extremely difficult test to pass for the license. When she took the test, she was the only woman among 700 men. You go, Girl!
    My other sister was the second woman to graduate from the University of Wisconsin, Platteville, with a degree in agronomy.
    I enjoy being proud of them…because….I haven’t done a damn thing.

8. Would really like to see the king plans

9. Val Frania says:

This plan would be great modified to have a storage space below, either with drawers or maybe even with the bed on hinges to lift it up. Hmmm…

10. Margo Lake says:

I was wondering…….do you absolultely have to use a Kreg Jig to build this platform bed?

• Nope! You sure do not. You could put this together MANY different ways, including screws, brackets, and other corner hardware. You could use corner hardware externally to give it a unique industrial look, or just hide it on the inside.

11. Summer Goins says:

Do u have any ideas what it would be for a king size bed?? lol. I always seem to get it wrong when I get to measuring things I am not sure of. :)

12. Ashlee Ault says:

Did you attach to the headboard by drilling 2.5″ pocket holes on the underside of the frame on the platform bed or where did you drill in the screws?

Trackbacks