Antique Wooden Stool ~ So hard to say good-bye!

Hi all! So, I had to say good-bye to a dear friend today…it was gut-wrenching…she was just perfect and darling in every way….

Her story starts at Laverty’s in Waco (yes, the same Shanty Shopping Spree Whitney mentioned in her milk jug post). I had a lot going on that week and my shanty spending money was in the red so I told my mom, Ellen, and Whit I would have to wait until next time. My mom persuaded me to go by offering to buy me some pieces…..couldn’t pass that up! I found a few great items that I will be posting later but I wanted to share this antique wooden stool my mom managed to sneak by us!

So adorable! I love the rails on the back….

We convinced my mom that she needed a paint job….so, I agreed to paint it for her to pay her back for my purchases (great deal on both ends…trust me!) 2 coats of Behr Forever Black Satin brought her back to life….

Fantastic in black….
I used my 3M sanding block to distress the edges…I love how it shows off her great lines and detail….

Lucky for me we have had non-stop rain for the past 8 days and I wasn’t about to put this beauty in the back of my truck in the elements. She found a nice place to rest in my dining room next to my hutch….it was meant to be…..

She looks so content…..

I took her for a visit to Whitney’s and she fit in so nicely among the other pieces in her dining room as well….

Now in her entry way with a few knick knacks……

I have to admit I’m going to miss her but I know my mom will love her as much as we do ~ if not…I’ve got dibs Whit!!!!!
*Update ~ I have had a few requests that I give detailed instructions on how I painted this piece so, here goes!
1. Wipe down the surface, with a damp cloth, to clean away dirt and dust.
2. Lightly sand the first layer off ~ I use my husband’s Dewalt Battery Powered Sander and it takes ALL the elbow grease out of sanding ~ I highly recommend one….very good for heavy varnishes!
3. Wipe down again with a wet cloth.
4. Paint first coat (I make sure all the brush strokes go the same direction). As far as brushes to use..I have used the expensive brushes and the cheap-o Wal-Mart brushes and the cheap-o’s do just as well!
5. Distress all of the edges – especially the corners ~ I use my 3M sanding block that I LOVE! You have to buy the sand paper separate ~ 80 grit works great for distressing. I dragged it along the legs in spots also.
6. I did not use a finish on this stool because it will be used for decoration only. However, if you intend to paint a piece that will see everyday wear and tear we use Polycrylic ~ 2 coats.
* I hope this is helpful! If you have anymore questions don’t hesitate to ask! I will be adding this shanty over at Southern Hospitality’s Thrifty Finds… Check it out!
*I will also be adding this to Trash to Treasure Tuesday at Reinvented!
AND at… Hooked on Fridays over at Hooked on Houses… Great blog guys!!
I will be posting this at The DIY Showoff for Show and Tell Surprise Party!
I will be linking this to Flea Market Style!

1. Kimm at Reinvented on September 22, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I love it. I've been on the look-out for stools for our island, that one would be perfect! 😉

2. Audra on September 22, 2009 at 1:18 am

I love this! Thanks for the instructions, the stool is so Pottery Barn-ish without the cost! Fabulous! Love your blog.

3. gina @ The Tickle Pink Thrift on September 21, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I love it! I also love the DICE you have in the picture. Very cute!

4. Rita @ Goodwill Haunting on September 21, 2009 at 8:02 am

Great post! At least you'll be able to visit her once in awhile. Thanks for sharing the how-to, really appreciate it!

5. Sharlotte on September 21, 2009 at 2:24 am

I love the chair too! And it does fit perfectly in your home ~ especially when it's placed next to your hutch. Thanks for the tips on refinishing…I'll file this post for future reference! Thanks for sharing!

6. The Queen of Fifty Cents on September 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm

I think your stool is actually what I think was called a youth chair–meant for little kids who are too old for a high chair, but still too little to reach the dining table on a regular chair. Turned out good!

7. Kammy on September 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Super cute ! Great corner addition and looks great with the decorations !

8. randee on September 20, 2009 at 9:31 pm

you & your sister should be on hgtv! you're an awesome duo. the stool looks beautiful!

9. Linda (Nina's Nest) on September 20, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Great re-do! Love that stool! Linda

10. Sue on September 20, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Fantastic re-do of this piece! Your mom should thoroughly enjoy this stool. What a dutiful daughter you are!
    🙂 Sue

11. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality on September 20, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Hi, Ashley, that is adorable! Love how it turned out. You can't go wrong with black.

And no worries, I'll erase your other link.

12. Annette @ Designs By A Rose on September 20, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I just found you on ASPTL. Your blog is awesome. I looked back through some of your previous posts and loved them. I had to become a follower. Can't wait to see what you'll come up with next!

13. Tales From My Empty Nest on September 20, 2009 at 5:17 am

Your stool turned out great!! I love the black. I just did some chairs for my daughters apartment at college and I did them black too! Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

14. Nori on September 20, 2009 at 2:40 am

i love how your distressed pieces look. i was wondering if you usually prime your pieces? i've been priming, but i don't like how it looks once i distress it. just wondering… thanks! 🙂

15. a little bit vintage on September 19, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Oh, I love this! 😉

16. angela on September 19, 2009 at 3:59 pm

SO beautiful! I love your blog. I would read any details that you want to share!

17. on September 19, 2009 at 2:19 pm

i love the traveling chair LOL

18. Heidi@TheCraftMonkey on September 19, 2009 at 12:48 pm

tell your mom I think that stool looks PERFECT next to your hutch! 😉

19. Carolyn on September 19, 2009 at 7:42 am

I agree with the previous post! Please tell us step by step how you did it! It looks perfect!

20. Tammy on September 19, 2009 at 5:43 am

Ok – My comments are way to long. I need to e-mail you my questions. 🙂 This is beautiful. I am no inspired to paint the "new" bar stools I just got in a nice dark brown/black. I'm going to get some paint tomorrow! What kind of brushes do you use – I see NO brush lines! What kind of finish do you use? Do you ever strip your furniture? What if it has a heavy varnish? Would you mind outlining your workflow? I LOVE every piece you've "fixed"!