DIY Outdoor Chaise Lounge

Hello summer!  I’m sure most of you are also experiencing the heat wave in your area!  It’s down right hot in the Lone Star State:) I couldn’t get this project started fast enough!

Ahhh!!!  Swoon!  Love this set of chaise lounges from Pottery Barn….but I don’t love the $600 price tag (and yes that is the “marked-down” price;)  I’m sure they are worth every penny but my wallet will never know!

Nope, I saved some dough and built my own for $25 thanks to the free plans I got from Ana’s site!

Trip to Home Depot for supplies (no kids;)  Thank you hubby!

I used my battery-powered drill and nailer to assemble the chairs…. oh and Gorilla Glue Wood Glue of course;)  Here are some pictures of the steps I took as I went…

I used the base of the chaise to assemble the back by aligning each board on top of the other to ensure a good match when the back was attached.

Use narrow utility hinges to attach the back to the base.  The regular width is too wide…I learned this the hard way…

This is the prop for the back rest:)

Again, narrow hinges to attach the prop to the back.

This is my FAVORITE part!  All of these scraps are used to make…

stoppers for the prop on the back rest!!!  You just pick the angles that you want the back rest to sit at and attach them!

I finished with Elmer’s Wood Filler and a good sanding using my battery-powered sander and that was it!

Yah, I had to make two:)  I might make a third….

I can’t share all of them with you just yet….because they aren’t finished but, I will be back very soon to show you the finished chaise lounges!

These were very simple to build.  The only annoying step was the hinges but after I got past the first set I was okay:)

Time invested:  1.5 hours to measure and cut lumber for 2 chairs, 1.5 hours to build each chair.

Money invested:  $50 for lumber!

I’m a happy girl:)  I’ll be a happier girl when I can actually enjoy them!!!  Hope you all have a great FRIDAY!  Whoop!

~Ashley

1. Allison on June 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Wow! What a great job! I think you should start taking orders. lol
    Hope you’ll drop by and see the tile floor Jane wrote about for Met Monday.

Allison
    Atticmag

• Ashley on June 14, 2011 at 12:31 am

• www.EasyWoodwork.org on May 5, 2018 at 3:59 am

So excited with mine!! I used the plans at www. EasyWoodwork.org to build mine – I highly recommend you visit that website and check their plans out too. They are detailed and super easy to read and understand unlike several others I found online. The amount of plans there is mind-boggling… there’s like 16,000 plans or something like that for tons of different projects. Definitely enough to keep me busy with projects for many more years to come haha

Go to www. EasyWoodwork.org – click the red link above for some more plans! Best of luck on your building adventures!

• Igor on June 10, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Link leads to a seller site.

2. AprilG on June 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm

So pretty. I’m sharing this post with my readers today.

• Ashley on June 14, 2011 at 12:31 am

Awesome! Thanks so much April!

3. abeachcottage on June 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm

They look great, well done. And you make it look so easy making them. Thanks for the tutorial.

• Ashley on June 14, 2011 at 12:32 am

4. nicolette @ momnivore's dilemma on June 13, 2011 at 3:22 am

I’ve been pining for these chairs for years, and I agree with you, that price tag from PB is too steep!

{I’m pinning you to my covet folder on pinterest!}

• Ashley on June 13, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Thank you Nicolette!!!!

5. Philly on June 13, 2011 at 2:42 am

Hey! Stumbled onto your site. These look great. However I am concerned about the 1×4 legs. They don’t look strong enough. Also it is not clear how you attached them. I wouldn’t want you laying on the chair and having the legs give out under you. You might spill your drink!!! Also make sure you use a good wood sealer cause that untreated wood won’t last long out in the elements. Now the next step for you is the wheels and side tray of the expensive ones.

• Ashley on June 13, 2011 at 2:49 am

Hi! Thanks so much for commenting! I actually just started building within the last year so I am fairly inexperienced… I have been getting all of my plans from Ana-White.com and I just followed her plans exactly. What would you suggest using instead of 1×4’s? They seem very sturdy right now but I definitely understand your concern. I am using outdoor wood sealer to finish them and I do have plans to add the wheels and tray just trying to work it all out;) Thanks so much for stopping by!!!!

6. Pam on June 13, 2011 at 1:23 am

Great job!! I love them!

Pam

• Ashley on June 13, 2011 at 2:21 am

7. Ruth on June 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm

These are amazing. I would love them.
    Great job!!
    Ruth

• Ashley on June 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Thanks so much Ruth;)

8. Kelley on June 11, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Those are incredible! Did Ana size them so that standard chaise cushions would fit?

I think the pine will hold up fairly well, especially if you use some outdoor sealer. I wonder, though, what the price differential would be to make some out of teak

• Ashley on June 12, 2011 at 11:15 am

Thank you so much Kelley! She did make them to fit standard sized cushions…I am looking for some but they are EXPENSIVE! I’m bummed because Pottery Barn/s are on clearance for $59 and of course they are sold out:( Teak would be awesome!!! Not sure where to get that….if you know would you share it with all of us! I would pay more for it for sure!

• Kelley on June 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Y’all are in TX, right? The San Marcos outlet had a TON of cushions when we were there a few weeks ago…

For teak, I know that Rockler carries *some*. I don’t know that they’d have the sizes to build something like this, though. I need to find some other retailers that carry more than pine and oak. I have some projects churning in my head. 😉

• Ashley on June 14, 2011 at 12:32 am

Ohhh I need to make a trip down there:) Thanks so much for the tip!!!

9. Sommer on June 11, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Love love love! I cannot believe you made them $25 a chair! I want some so bad. My birthday next week, maybe i’ll be shopping for wood lol. Please let us know where you find coushions! Please stop by and link up to my party this weekend at http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/06/vip-party-18.html

• Ashley on June 12, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thank you so much Sommer! I would rather spend my birthday shopping for wood than clothes any day;) I will let you know where I find the cushions as soon as I do:))

10. Jen @ Domesticated Nomad on June 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I have always loved those lounge chairs too. I can’t believe how straight forward that is to make your own! My list of projects is already too long right now, but I think I have to add this to the list! Thanks for sharing. I found you at Tatertots and Jello. 🙂

• Ashley on June 11, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Thanks so much Jen:)))

11. Red on June 11, 2011 at 12:46 am

They look great! I love Ana White!!!

• Ashley on June 11, 2011 at 1:45 am

Thank you!!! Us too;)

12. Linda on June 10, 2011 at 11:08 pm

This is so sensational! I am inspired!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Thanks so much Linda:)

13. Mary @ Redo 101 on June 10, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Oh yeah, you rock – amazing. I’ve been coveting those chairs at PB every time I glance at the catalog, but like you, no way was I going to spend that $. Ana is our stop-by place to learn all, isn’t she – I need/want to build a kitchen island and am going now to visit Ana. Thanks for sharing!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Thanks so much Mary! LOVE Ana’s site:))) I have used so many of her plans and I am very satisfied with all of them!

14. Funky Junk Interiors on June 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm

You rock. You totally totally rock. Fabulous!

And I want the truth when you’re done. Just how comfy are they? I can’t wait to see how you go about the padding!

Donna

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Aw thank you Donna!!! Looking for cushions now;)

15. Jan on June 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm

These are awesome and anytime I can say $600 and do it myself…I will! Great job!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Thank you Jan!!!! Love saving money:)))

16. Heidi@thecraftmonkeyblog on June 10, 2011 at 4:48 am

Amazing! Those chairs turned out awesome! I’ve been looking for some for our back yard and even the cheap plastic ones are more than $25! I’m not very handy with wood & saws, but I may have to try this!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Thank you Heidi! I agree, after shopping around I realized I wasn’t going to get what I wanted unless I built it! If you haven’t built many things you would still be able to do this. It is very simple. You can even get the hardware store to cut your lumber for you so all you have to do is assemble it! Good luck:)))

17. Ashley@DesignBuildLove.co on June 10, 2011 at 4:17 am

look great! Those are soooo gonna come in handy for the summer time!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Thank you Ashley!!!! I can’t wait to actually enjoy them:)))

18. Erin on June 10, 2011 at 3:50 am

Those are a definite necessity right now in Texas, especially if you could put them up next to a pool, which I sadly do not have!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Hey, I’ve never been afraid to layout in a chair with the sprinklers on!!!!!!

19. Brittany (aka Pretty Handy Girl) on June 10, 2011 at 3:33 am

Way to go! Those are fabulous. I can’t wait to see the cushion you use on them.

• Ashley on June 12, 2011 at 11:20 am

Thanks so much Brittany!

20. Megan on June 10, 2011 at 3:09 am

Looks great! And talk about saving money!!!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Thank you Megan! Gotta love a 90% savings (maybe more?)