DIY Outdoor Chaise Lounge

Hello summer!  I’m sure most of you are also experiencing the heat wave in your area!  It’s down right hot in the Lone Star State:) I couldn’t get this project started fast enough!

Ahhh!!!  Swoon!  Love this set of chaise lounges from Pottery Barn….but I don’t love the $600 price tag (and yes that is the “marked-down” price;)  I’m sure they are worth every penny but my wallet will never know!

Nope, I saved some dough and built my own for $25 thanks to the free plans I got from Ana’s site!

Trip to Home Depot for supplies (no kids;)  Thank you hubby!

I used my battery-powered drill and nailer to assemble the chairs…. oh and Gorilla Glue Wood Glue of course;)  Here are some pictures of the steps I took as I went…

I used the base of the chaise to assemble the back by aligning each board on top of the other to ensure a good match when the back was attached.

Use narrow utility hinges to attach the back to the base.  The regular width is too wide…I learned this the hard way…

This is the prop for the back rest:)

Again, narrow hinges to attach the prop to the back.

This is my FAVORITE part!  All of these scraps are used to make…

stoppers for the prop on the back rest!!!  You just pick the angles that you want the back rest to sit at and attach them!

I finished with Elmer’s Wood Filler and a good sanding using my battery-powered sander and that was it!

Yah, I had to make two:)  I might make a third….

I can’t share all of them with you just yet….because they aren’t finished but, I will be back very soon to show you the finished chaise lounges!

These were very simple to build.  The only annoying step was the hinges but after I got past the first set I was okay:)

Time invested:  1.5 hours to measure and cut lumber for 2 chairs, 1.5 hours to build each chair.

Money invested:  $50 for lumber!

I’m a happy girl:)  I’ll be a happier girl when I can actually enjoy them!!!  Hope you all have a great FRIDAY!  Whoop!

~Ashley

1. Anika on December 4, 2016 at 1:09 am

Love this! I have it in my list to build for the summer!

2. Dbakeca Italia on April 9, 2015 at 1:22 pm

interesting what you say John

3. Cheryl Burse on October 29, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Great project! (sorry) but although for the legs I would use 2×4 butted together forming a right angle…and on the outside slats i’d use 2×4 so that it creates a drop-in spot for the cushion. #wickedbuilding

4. Heather Qotw on May 18, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I found these plans and loved them – very simple to follow. I didn’t like the leg directions, so I tweaked it a bit -using scrap 4×6″ bits, both as a sturdier support AND for better support of those outer long planks. My chaise was made from ALL PALLETS, so it’s not as precise and gorgeous as yours is, but I’m pretty proud of it having no planer to make the wood perfect. I painted it in honor of my Camaro, and although this photo doesn’t show it, it’s also got holo-glitter throughout the clear coats I put on it. I added wheels for mobility in the back (Harbor Freight Tools), and two old handles we hand lying around for the front, and two heavy plastic plates so that the wood isn’t directly on the bare ground until the grass spreads further. THANK YOU for sharing this – it motivated another woman to give it a go. The two camp chairs are just old family chairs that I took apart, cleaned, sanded, repainted and replaced old rusty hardware to save money too. 🙂

5. Ellie on May 16, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Trying to share the final product !

6. Ellie on May 16, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Just made one today and can’t wait to make #2 on my next day off!!! Worked well and is super sturdy. Just need to stain it and get a cushion and it’s ready for the pool!!! I followed the directions as seen on Ana’s site with no issues besides my own mistake of cutting one piece a little long- easy fix and I’m very impressed sight the final product!!!

7. Brian Keating on August 16, 2013 at 7:35 am

That’s very cool! I’m an extreme beginner, so I’m not sure I would trust my own ability to build a chair that I could actually sit in comfortably and safely, hahaha… You make it look easy, but what do you recommend as a starting project for someone like me who is just starting out in a new home with my wife, has basically no experience with tools or being useful with my hands, but wants to try something and get into building stuff? 🙂

8. beth on July 17, 2013 at 9:44 pm

My sister and I can’t wait to start! However… 🙂 we are absolute newbies and aren’t sure what kind of wood to use. Went to Home Depot and they recommended Cedar which quickly put us over budget (including a cushion) as compared to Ikea. Anybody have recommendations on wood? Appreciated!

• Shanty2Chic on July 18, 2013 at 6:29 am

Hi Beth!
      I used furring strips. If you use an outdoor stain on them they will be fine. I have had mine for 3 summers now and they are great!

9. dallas on February 28, 2013 at 12:29 pm

It definitely, cost more than 25 $ per chair, just went and spent $40 on wood and hinges alone!

• Shanty2Chic on February 28, 2013 at 4:23 pm

It for sure cost me $25 per chair. I purchased furring strips and the hinges. I’m sorry yours was more.

10. Michele on February 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I love this project! I am truing to come up with a low cost seating idea for my covered porch and I think this is it! Do you have a cut list by any chance? Also I am a novice at wood cutting and such but a very handy person overall, do you think I could pull this off?

11. Jessica on February 11, 2013 at 12:16 am

This is great. This is a good handmade chaise lounge cushions. Craftmanship!

12. tiffany of camp1899.com on September 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm

this is an amazing diy! i’m lucky and my husband is SO handy, he’s dirt to sky been renovating our tiny bungalow, this should be so easy for him thanks to your great step by step!! thanks for sharing!

13. Michelle on March 20, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Hi there,
    Do you have a cut list by any chance?

14. Melissa Delight on March 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Hey there! I made my own version of this project. Check it out! http://zigzagsandblossoming.blogspot.com/2012/03/multi-way-patio-lounger.html

Thanks for the inspiration!!

15. Wow, that is a great job. The step by step instructions and photos are fantastic. I might even be tempted to give this a go myself.

16. This is a project. I love the detailed step by step instructions. You have done a really great job.

17. William Carr of Mass Painters on January 29, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Great photos, very easy to follow and most important: CHEAP! $25 in materials aint bad!

18. Alicia Washington on November 22, 2011 at 2:39 am

Looking forward to sharing this with my husband! I believe we could actually accomplish this ourselves. I would feel proud to showcase our own furnishings. Thank you so much!

19. Sheila on August 31, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Excellent! I’m inspired.

20. Laura on August 11, 2011 at 6:23 pm

This is such a great idea! I was recently pricing lounge chairs for our new pool and i cannot believe how EXPENSIVE they are, I never thought of making one out of wood!

21. Anne Dapore on August 9, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I love these thanks for posting. Here is a link to a DIY Lounge Pillow you can make from Martha! These would be cute with your lounger!

• Ashley on August 9, 2011 at 9:22 pm

This is awesome Anne! Thank you so much:))))

22. Michael at Blue Velvet Chair on July 13, 2011 at 12:03 am

LOVE this project! Very clever.
    Michael

23. luxury home on July 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Done good job showing how to make – Thanks for showing step – step

24. Crystal (theweekendhomemaker.com) on June 24, 2011 at 11:06 am

These are awesome and look like they were easy to build. Thanks for the cost and time breakdown. You’ve inspired me to build something!

25. Jamie on June 16, 2011 at 3:38 am

These are great! Stumbled Upon your blog!
    jamie

• Ashley on June 16, 2011 at 12:29 pm

26. John on June 16, 2011 at 2:47 am

Lounge looks really nice, however the legs are waaaay too flimsy. They will only last if you never move it. First time someone drags it over a brick patio, the legs will come loose and eventually crack. Easy fix though. All you need to do is to make each leg from two pieces, in an L shape. They will be 10 times stronger. Round the bottom of the legs so the corners are not sharp and don’t catch on stuff so easily. Even better, buy a couple of wheels and a piece of threaded rod at your home store and you can then pick one end up and roll it around the patio. Trust me, you will move it more than you think, like every time the angle of the sun changes.

• Ashley on June 16, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Thanks for the tip John:) If the legs to start to deteriorate I will fix them this way. I do intend to add the wheels because I love the look:) Thanks for stopping by!

• Kim on September 5, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I thought the legs looked fragile as well. I’m not a “wee” lass. 🙂 I noticed the pottery barn chaise has square legs on the front that look to be affixed up inside the apron of the chaise on both the side and the front of the apron…thereby creating more structure. This is an awesome idea. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

• Shanty2Chic on September 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm

We have made it through 2 summers with these chairs:). Kids standing on them, adults lounging and they have been dragged everywhere! They are still standing strong! Never a bad idea to reinforce but I do stand behind these plans!

27. CrafterBerly on June 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Ooh ooh ooh! I SO want to do this!

28. Brittany on June 14, 2011 at 3:43 am

I think I can, I think I can attempt at trying to make this. The price is much better then PB’s! Thank you for sharing!

Found you from Tip Junkie link party!

29. Emily Christensen on June 14, 2011 at 2:34 am

Wow! I love these! They look so easy to make too. It nice to see another girl who knows how to use power tools 🙂
    I found you on Tip Junkie.
    Emily

• Ashley on June 14, 2011 at 2:47 am

Thank you Emily:)) LOVE power tools;)

30. Allison on June 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Wow! What a great job! I think you should start taking orders. lol
    Hope you’ll drop by and see the tile floor Jane wrote about for Met Monday.

Allison
    Atticmag

• Ashley on June 14, 2011 at 12:31 am

31. AprilG on June 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm

So pretty. I’m sharing this post with my readers today.

• Ashley on June 14, 2011 at 12:31 am

Awesome! Thanks so much April!

32. abeachcottage on June 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm

They look great, well done. And you make it look so easy making them. Thanks for the tutorial.

• Ashley on June 14, 2011 at 12:32 am

33. nicolette @ momnivore's dilemma on June 13, 2011 at 3:22 am

I’ve been pining for these chairs for years, and I agree with you, that price tag from PB is too steep!

{I’m pinning you to my covet folder on pinterest!}

• Ashley on June 13, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Thank you Nicolette!!!!

34. Philly on June 13, 2011 at 2:42 am

Hey! Stumbled onto your site. These look great. However I am concerned about the 1×4 legs. They don’t look strong enough. Also it is not clear how you attached them. I wouldn’t want you laying on the chair and having the legs give out under you. You might spill your drink!!! Also make sure you use a good wood sealer cause that untreated wood won’t last long out in the elements. Now the next step for you is the wheels and side tray of the expensive ones.

• Ashley on June 13, 2011 at 2:49 am

Hi! Thanks so much for commenting! I actually just started building within the last year so I am fairly inexperienced… I have been getting all of my plans from Ana-White.com and I just followed her plans exactly. What would you suggest using instead of 1×4’s? They seem very sturdy right now but I definitely understand your concern. I am using outdoor wood sealer to finish them and I do have plans to add the wheels and tray just trying to work it all out;) Thanks so much for stopping by!!!!

35. Pam on June 13, 2011 at 1:23 am

Great job!! I love them!

Pam

• Ashley on June 13, 2011 at 2:21 am

36. Ruth on June 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm

These are amazing. I would love them.
    Great job!!
    Ruth

• Ashley on June 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Thanks so much Ruth;)

37. Kelley on June 11, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Those are incredible! Did Ana size them so that standard chaise cushions would fit?

I think the pine will hold up fairly well, especially if you use some outdoor sealer. I wonder, though, what the price differential would be to make some out of teak

• Ashley on June 12, 2011 at 11:15 am

Thank you so much Kelley! She did make them to fit standard sized cushions…I am looking for some but they are EXPENSIVE! I’m bummed because Pottery Barn/s are on clearance for $59 and of course they are sold out:( Teak would be awesome!!! Not sure where to get that….if you know would you share it with all of us! I would pay more for it for sure!

• Kelley on June 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Y’all are in TX, right? The San Marcos outlet had a TON of cushions when we were there a few weeks ago…

For teak, I know that Rockler carries *some*. I don’t know that they’d have the sizes to build something like this, though. I need to find some other retailers that carry more than pine and oak. I have some projects churning in my head. 😉

• Ashley on June 14, 2011 at 12:32 am

Ohhh I need to make a trip down there:) Thanks so much for the tip!!!

38. Sommer on June 11, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Love love love! I cannot believe you made them $25 a chair! I want some so bad. My birthday next week, maybe i’ll be shopping for wood lol. Please let us know where you find coushions! Please stop by and link up to my party this weekend at http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/06/vip-party-18.html

• Ashley on June 12, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thank you so much Sommer! I would rather spend my birthday shopping for wood than clothes any day;) I will let you know where I find the cushions as soon as I do:))

39. Jen @ Domesticated Nomad on June 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I have always loved those lounge chairs too. I can’t believe how straight forward that is to make your own! My list of projects is already too long right now, but I think I have to add this to the list! Thanks for sharing. I found you at Tatertots and Jello. 🙂

• Ashley on June 11, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Thanks so much Jen:)))

40. Red on June 11, 2011 at 12:46 am

They look great! I love Ana White!!!

• Ashley on June 11, 2011 at 1:45 am

Thank you!!! Us too;)

41. Linda on June 10, 2011 at 11:08 pm

This is so sensational! I am inspired!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Thanks so much Linda:)

42. Mary @ Redo 101 on June 10, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Oh yeah, you rock – amazing. I’ve been coveting those chairs at PB every time I glance at the catalog, but like you, no way was I going to spend that $. Ana is our stop-by place to learn all, isn’t she – I need/want to build a kitchen island and am going now to visit Ana. Thanks for sharing!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Thanks so much Mary! LOVE Ana’s site:))) I have used so many of her plans and I am very satisfied with all of them!

43. Funky Junk Interiors on June 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm

You rock. You totally totally rock. Fabulous!

And I want the truth when you’re done. Just how comfy are they? I can’t wait to see how you go about the padding!

Donna

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Aw thank you Donna!!! Looking for cushions now;)

44. Jan on June 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm

These are awesome and anytime I can say $600 and do it myself…I will! Great job!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Thank you Jan!!!! Love saving money:)))

45. Heidi@thecraftmonkeyblog on June 10, 2011 at 4:48 am

Amazing! Those chairs turned out awesome! I’ve been looking for some for our back yard and even the cheap plastic ones are more than $25! I’m not very handy with wood & saws, but I may have to try this!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Thank you Heidi! I agree, after shopping around I realized I wasn’t going to get what I wanted unless I built it! If you haven’t built many things you would still be able to do this. It is very simple. You can even get the hardware store to cut your lumber for you so all you have to do is assemble it! Good luck:)))

46. Ashley@DesignBuildLove.co on June 10, 2011 at 4:17 am

look great! Those are soooo gonna come in handy for the summer time!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Thank you Ashley!!!! I can’t wait to actually enjoy them:)))

47. Erin on June 10, 2011 at 3:50 am

Those are a definite necessity right now in Texas, especially if you could put them up next to a pool, which I sadly do not have!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Hey, I’ve never been afraid to layout in a chair with the sprinklers on!!!!!!

48. Brittany (aka Pretty Handy Girl) on June 10, 2011 at 3:33 am

Way to go! Those are fabulous. I can’t wait to see the cushion you use on them.

• Ashley on June 12, 2011 at 11:20 am

Thanks so much Brittany!

49. Megan on June 10, 2011 at 3:09 am

Looks great! And talk about saving money!!!

• Ashley on June 10, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Thank you Megan! Gotta love a 90% savings (maybe more?)